A Remarkable, And Disheartening, Series of Tweets from Los Angeles

Hornius Emeritus

I’m pretty sure this is Trumps fault. 

In all seriousness not investigating property crime has been a long police tradition here in Austin, which typically has higher than average property crime and much lower than average violent crime.

When the dude’s car got stolen in the big Lebowski his interactions with the LA cops could have been mistaken for an APD documentary.

People from California who move here often ask why people here drive so slow. Well back in the 80s and 90s before everyone on the planet decided to move here and Austin was still a semi sleepy college and government town, since the cops chose not to investigate all the property crime and there was so little violent crime the cops really had nothing better to do than write speeding tickets and help facilitate the local drug trade. 

I don’t know if that’s true everywhere but I bet it is in LA and has been for some time,  so this is likely nothing new. 

Cargo Railyards, particularly multi-modal ones like you'd see in a coastal area like Los Angeles are some of the most heavily guarded places in our country.  Usually a combination of train police, private security, and some muni presence.  This robbery, based on the photos looks to be just outside a railyard with multiple 'roads', splits, and divergents.  They didn't wait for this thing to get out into a less populated area.  And they also appear to have known which freight cars to hit given how fast they got away with all that merch ready to be packed up in non-descript trucks.  That's not easy to do if they're sealed boxcars, it takes a lotta time to open doors on a dozens of cars with shit you can't easily grab and packup fast.  

Which means that while we're debating Soros and Trump and police budgets, Union Pacific's "security consultant" currently has a dozen employees and railyard personnel in a dark basement somewhere getting answers on how these thieves knew exactly which car numbers to hit in that particular order while their union rep stands outside waiting for his concession.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Cargo Railyards, particularly multi-modal ones like you'd see in a coastal area like Los Angeles are some of the most heavily guarded places in our country.  Usually a combination of train police, private security, and some muni presence.  This robbery, based on the photos looks to be just outside a railyard with multiple 'roads', splits, and divergents.  They didn't wait for this thing to get out into a less populated area.  And they also appear to have known which freight cars to hit given how fast they got away with all that merch ready to be packed up in non-descript trucks.  That's not easy to do if they're sealed boxcars, it takes a lotta time to open doors on a dozens of cars with shit you can't easily grab and packup fast.  

Which means that while we're debating Soros and Trump and police budgets, Union Pacific's "security consultant" currently has a dozen employees and railyard personnel in a dark basement somewhere getting answers on how these thieves knew exactly which car numbers to hit in that particular order while their union rep stands outside waiting for his concession.  

Nope. Definitely George Soros’s fault. 

In all seriousness this is a good post. Perhaps the first one in the thread to actually make sense. And on page 3 too? Gotta be a surly record. 

19 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I saw a follow-up saying this is the responsibility of Union Pacific Police and then video of them chasing off one thief.

What? Union Pacific has police? And they have "jurisdiction"? I don't understand.

Railroad police are an interesting vestige of the 19th Century and old train robberies.  Yes--the railroads have authority under federal law to have their own police departments, and they operate outside any state or local structures.  So there's no citizens' review council or any of that nonsense.  The result is that railroad police have long had reputations for excessive force.

Union Pacific Police can usually be seen around the railyards.  It used to be that they would ride on the trains frequently, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yep. But don't expect trump voters to have read the thread or know what they are talking about before they post.

Most cloak room posters don’t read the thread before they post. It’s why you have to wade through the same links/stories/tweets posted multiple times. That’s probably a third of all posts on the really long threads. 

#bothsides 

• Hook 'Em 1

You can quadruple the LAPD budget and put a uniform every 500 yards along that line, kill George Soros, and reinstall Donald Trump as President.  

If the Deputy Yardmaster has an opioid addiction or a gambling problem---and spends the night before restacking the choicest ten cars into the middle and tags the start and end cars with some graffiti that only the thieves will recognize...law and order don't matter, that train's getting boosted.  

Only a handful of people have that authorization.  That person is either already out of the country or following the Union Pacific security consultant and LAPD around his house right now claiming the kids new play stations were Christmas gifts, despite the missing serial numbers.  

33 minutes ago, Bravo said:

WTF is this shit? It is too down the middle and measured. Blue or red team? Which team are you on so I can pos rep or neg rep you?

1. Shit posts lazy "Gotcha!" level trite all over this thread and this message board for the sole purpose of making liberals look bad.

2. Applauds a reasonable post about partisan hacks not actually giving a shit about the issue, just wanting to use it to own the other side.

3. ?????

4. Profit

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I think the board could use a reviewing of goodfellas. 

laugh-mock.gif

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Only a handful of people have that authorization.  That person is either already out of the country or following the Union Pacific security consultant and LAPD around his house right now claiming the kids new play stations were Christmas gifts, despite the missing serial numbers.  

Or he's sitting on a beach....earning 20 percent....

maxresdefault.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Is there where I'm supposed to post the jewsdidthis.gif?

The Jewish space lasers were definitely involved here. It’s how they got the cargo trains open. George Soros may have personally pushed the laser buttons. Not sure on that yet though. 

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Just wait until we get self-driving trucks. You'll see piles of discarded packages at every bend of the road.

You laugh but the two biggest holdups to self-driving truck caravans are:

1.  Security concerns...you hack one of them to ram another one to run off the road and voila'...two or more trailers sideways in the ditch and you can grab as much as you can at 3am until somebody phones it in.  

2.  this one won't make for a good a movie...but on/off ramps.  No big deal on the open interstate where the ramps are a mile long.  But in urban and suburban environs, 1 18-wheeler by itself has a tough time slowing, braking, negotiating across lanes, and turning.  Doing that with 3+ of 'em at a time?  It's literally physically impossible given our infrastructure design.  You'd have to stop the caravan at a cross-docking facility outside of town and break the load down for straight trucks to complete "Last 5 Mile" delivery.  Which of course just blew the margin you were making on the Autonomous-Caravan solution in in the first place.  Those babies are gonna fly through the open country though, save a ton of time, a ton of money, and a ton of lives.  Until we start boosting 'em....bwahahahaha! 

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I salute and support Soro's efforts as described in politico. Thanks for posting.

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You laugh but the two biggest holdups to self-driving truck caravans are:

But I'm not laughing-- I really do think self-driving trucks will get looted. Especially any small slow delivery van thing-- heck, order a package to an abandoned address with a stolen credit card, have people there ready with the spike-strip when the truck rolls up.

Another scenario is bored and bitter unemployed truckers amusing themselves sniping robot trucks from whatever kudzu-coated hillside they haunt. This is more on the fantasy side, unless truckers turn out to be as feral as realtors.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Eh, kind of, in regards to “most heavily guarded”. The ones in Houston, which are large and principal to trade, are not as heavily guarded as you would think. There are cameras and bulls, but people regularly walk into and through them. Most of the security is at the entrance (especially where the trucks pick up the containers from the intermodal trains (customs). But yeah, if one is dumb enough to hang around for long and not understand how the yards work, you will likely get arrested.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Bravo said:

You dont think there is a connection between less propensity by liberal DAs in these cities to lessen bail or convict and the real defunding of local police to the increase in crime?

Very little.

You think criminals are thinking about bail conditions when they do crimes?  Oh, noes, I'm not going to do this crime because the big mean old prosecutor is going to set a high bail.  Or, I might get 5 years instead of 2.

Or that a 2.8% defunding of LAPD reduces the risk of apprehension to the point that criminals can ignore it now?

This is most likely a crime of opportunity where they have found a gap in policing between UP police and LAPD and a newfound opportunity in more consumer goods on trains.

(Makes notes about Houston yard security).   I’m sure it differs regionally but that’s weird to hear considering the international shipping there.  The ones I’ve spent time on in the Midwest/back east and Long Beach made military base security look like a movie theater.  

43 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Stealing Amazon packages seems like the biggest waste of time. So much is just crummy Chinese stuff or specialty items that you just normally can't find in stores. 

Oh great, you stole my Amazon package of a "Woostyle" brand rolling dish rack. Have fun with that.

Yeah, but as pointed out, what's usually on railcars is of no interest to petty thieves:  bulk stuff, maybe appliances that can't be carried off.

Judging by the ripped up packaging all around, these guys are looking for small, man-transportable stuff.

9 minutes ago, Bravo said:

how about some are not in jail due to that and out committing crimes?

That seems like a claim that would typically be supported by evidence. Or is this more of a "people are saying" sort of thing again? You've been on a roll lately

Edited by Captainant

Just now, Bravo said:

I was talking about the policy as a whole. We don't even know who did it. Keep up. 

Lol but you were so sure the robbery was because of bail reform(!!!) just a few posts ago. Or were you just wanting to mix more issues up into a buzzword potpourri?

And damn if it weren't for those for-profit prisons filling up with nonviolent offenders, we'd have fewer issues with dangerous people walking free. Oh well, at least corporate profits are up and they've got their slave labor force. 

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

Somebody is probably going to be disappointed if they end up stealing the History of the Greek Revolution of 1821 I just ordered. 

Or perhaps they'll be inspired to go to junior college, get a full academic scholarship to Stanford, and get a PHD in ancient Greek studies. 

4 minutes ago, Bravo said:

I never said it was caused by bail reform. It may have been. You're making shit up. There was discussion about how liberal DAs have helped cause a crime surge. 

No be fair to sack and quote correctly him, he said (((GEORGE SOROS))) DA's were the problem. Not liberal DA's.

17 minutes ago, Bravo said:

I was talking about the policy as a whole. We don't even know who did it. Keep up. 

Bad bail decisions happen all the time, with or without "bail reform."  That guy, like most of the anecdotal examples of "bad bail reform," would not have qualified for reduced or no bail under most, if not all,  bail reform laws, which generally only apply to pretty low-level, non-violent offenses where the defendant has no aggravating circumstances, like a serious criminal record or outstanding warrants.

Edited by TwiceHorn

6 minutes ago, Bravo said:

I never said it was caused by bail reform. It may have been. You're making shit up. There was discussion about how liberal DAs have helped cause a crime surge. 

You have real trouble staying on point.

Judges make bail decisions, although DAs argue for higher bail, sometimes.  Sometimes they fuck up.

There's no real evidence that "liberal DAs," characterized mostly by their declination of low level misdemeanor charges, have contributed to a "crime surge."  Bail reform is a separate issue entirely from "librul" DAs.  And also from "defunding police."

Correlation =/= causation.

If you keep bringing "talking points" in here without anything better than loose anecdotes to back them up, you're going to keep getting stuffed.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

From the Department of Ironic Lobo Puns—-this thread has been…Derailed

We could do like in Mexico and pay the cartels to protect the trains.

My evidence for this happening is that trains arrive anywhere in Mexico without being empty/kidnapped/blowed up.

31 minutes ago, Bravo said:

It doesn’t matter how many times you say this it doesn’t make it true. 

But keep it up little man! You’re doing good! Proud of ya! 

19 minutes ago, Bravo said:

are you kidding me? the DA's play a major role in this. That's insanity right there. It isn't just the DAs as this issue is multifactorial but liberal DAs in many of these cities control who is prosecuted, have a large hand in if/amount of bail. It's a real issue whether you want to see it or not. It would take a mea culpa so unlikely.

Yeah, tough call on whom to listen to between you and TwiceHorn for a reasonable take on criminal justice. A real doozie.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

It's funny - if you use surlysearch for the CR for the term "bail reform", bravo never fails to reference that exact same statement by that one single Milwaukee DA that was said fourteen years ago

Get some new material, you're a little one-note. Oh, I guess that's why you've been leaning so hard on "people are saying" arguments lately.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bravo said:

and she is. Up to 35 in just the last few mins. I would guess and no exaggeration she has negged me no less than 300-500 times if not more total in the last few mos. 

well you do have almost 850 negs on <1,000 posts so maybe she’s not the only issue here

Just now, Foosters said:

Because these "liberal DAs" are responsible for the crime surge, then crime must only be up in those select jurisdictions, right?

And obviously "tough on crime" red states are absolutely crushing it. I mean, that's a given.

Listen, obviously making virtually all non-violent crime a free pass isn't the answer. But we have hundreds of years of inarguable proof that throwing everyone in jail for petty theft and drug possession does shit all to thwart crime either.

There's middle ground there somewhere.

One party at least makes attempts at reform and entertains the idea of ending the drug war, even if they usually fail miserably in their efforts.

The other party is so deeply entangled in "Christian values" and terrified to appear soft on crime to their voters, ain't nothing ever going to change.

So here we are.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

And obviously "tough on crime" red states are absolutely crushing it. I mean, that's a given.

Listen, obviously making virtually all non-violent crime a free pass isn't the answer. But we have hundreds of years of inarguable proof that throwing everyone in jail for petty theft and drug possession does shit all to thwart crime either.

There's middle ground there somewhere.

One party at least makes attempts at reform and entertains the idea of ending the drug war, even if they usually fail miserably in their efforts.

The other party is so deeply entangled in "Christian values" and terrified to appear soft on crime to their voters, ain't nothing ever going to change.

So here we are.

Policing is local, so you really don't go by the state.  Some localities tolerate crime a lot more than others do.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, otisdog said:

Union Pacific, in an attempt at fattening their bottom line, fired the majority of their police force a couple of years ago.

so they had the jump on defunding the police?

Suddenly, it's an issue.  SMDH.