A Remarkable, And Disheartening, Series of Tweets from Los Angeles

Hornius Emeritus

23 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

What was their MO?  Just presence? Or arresting people? Or just running them off?

All three. There used to be an issue of them robbing trains as they traversed the mojave desert. The SA's would stop the train in the middle of nowhere and round them up, there was no place for them to escape to.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/13/2022 at 8:37 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

I think Soutern Pacific could solve this by rigging one car to explode upon being opened or, as one responder suggested, packing a car with attack dogs.

Or just start locking the containers and planting drones over the problem areas with Bulls (federally authorized railroad police) at the ready to intervene.  

The Bulls need to step up their game to modern times. They have the drones already. Use them for something useful (if $5,000,000 in losses means something to the railroad’s owners).

dramatic imagery. Unfortunately it feeds some of humankind’s ugliest instincts in those who are still fighting the Civil War pt. 1. That’s just the world today in America.

If the Railroad didn’t care enough to protect the loads, I am not sure I should care.  YMMV

appreciate the imagery and links to the reporter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Or just start locking the containers and planting drones over the problem areas with Bulls (federally authorized railroad police) at the ready to intervene.  

The Bulls need to step up their game to modern times. They have the drones already. Use them for something useful (if $5,000,000 in losses means something to the railroad’s owners).

dramatic imagery. Unfortunately it feeds some of humankind’s ugliest instincts in those who are still fighting the Civil War pt. 1. That’s just the world today in America.

If the Railroad didn’t care enough to protect the loads, I am not sure I should care.  YMMV

sounds like we're turning back the clock about 100 years.  therefore, i blame the republicans.

10 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I mean yes this isn’t hard. 

But let’s blame the dems and liberal DAs! The left is out of control and my trumpy bear is lost in the mail!

Fucking morons.

4 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Nope. How any times do I have to tell you this.

This is the fault of George Soros and his Jewish space lasers and those darn liberal bail loving DAs. If it wasn’t for bail reform all those train robbers and most of the pirates on the high seas would be cooling their heels in a jail cell instead of robbing trains and stealing my trumpy bear.

You've got to love Soros' thoroughness.  For a 92 year-old New Yorker, the fact that he's able to get district attorneys elected in Los Angeles is really quite something.  Most 92-year-olds are worried about where their dentures are. Not Soros.  He's all over that shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Us (us, us, us, us) and them (them, them, them, them)
And after all we're only ordinary men
Me
And you (you, you, you)
God only knows
It's not what we would choose (choose, choose) to do (to do, to do)
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat
And the lines on the map
Moved from side to side
Black (black, black, black)
And blue (blue, blue)
And who knows which is which and who is who
Up (up, up, up, up)
And down (down, down, down, down)
And in the end it's only round 'n round (round, round, round)
Haven't you heard it's a battle of words
The poster bearer cried
"Listen son", said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So these types of photos are much more important than people want to believe.   They are directly related to how an increase in crime in this country always leads to conservative election wins, and how the Dems constantly shoot themselves in the dick on law, order, and crime. 

All this shit taps into our deep subconscious.  First, safety is at the very bottom of the hierarchy of needs, right above food and water.  And the thing about safety is that we are not willing to accept a perceived loss of security in exchange for someone else to feel more secure.  In international relations this is called the security dilemma-- a state that makes other states feel less secure in the process of making itself more secure is headed down a path of confrontation and war.  Messaging lesson for Dems:  Ensure that every talking point on police reforms, criminal justice reform, community safety, etc. emphasizes how they will lead to improved safety for ALL constituents and potential constituents.  Otherwise the Rs will beat you by promising more safety for their chosen constituents.

Second-- and this is fucking primate, chimpanzee brain shit-- we are hardwired to HATE disadvantageous unfairness. Capuchin monkeys would rather that no monkey get any treat at all than accept one treat for themselves while another monkey gets three. Kids are the same way. (Important note-- monkeys, kids, and a lot of adults are usually fine if they are the ones getting more treats). And when people see images of shit getting stolen and people getting away with it, that monkey instinct kicks in.  Someone is getting away with something, to my detriment, while I am following the rules. And the argument (more or less explicitly stated by some Dems and community activists) that we should tolerate a certain level of visceral, easily visible disadvantageous unfairness because of broader structural inequities that are behind the crime-- is just a non-starter on the monkey brain level.  It can be accepted only as long as that unfairness can be disassociated from you personally.  And that's hard to do with a train full of stolen Amazon shipments. 

“Daddy, did you hear about the Amazon packages?”

image.thumb.jpeg.477121b5fe3d0192cb5018584f228ca8.jpeg

18 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Do I have that option?

I thought we were just kidding. I said the ransacking of freight cars by thieves was terrible. It is. I didn't say anything about opening missile silos, calling out the guard, or even declaring martial law.

I'm not sure I'm the drama queen in this discussion.

You’re the one that thought I was equating theft to aggravated assault.  And yes,we’re just kidding.

Of course they have jurisdiction.  California has lots of problems with tolerating theft.  

I am anti drug war.  And wish our jails were cleared out so we could focus on warehousing the violent and career thieves. 

Interestingly enough, Texas has a higher rate of property crime than California. So I’m not sure tolerance has anything to do with it.

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

Interestingly enough, Texas has a higher rate of property crime than California. So I’m not sure tolerance has anything to do with it.

Source?  Link?  That can’t be right, we have more guns and more bravado.  Must be because California doesn’t have to put up with all the blacks and illegal immigrants like Texas does.  

7 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Happened across video of the perps in action under a different tweet. 

Tommy played piano like a kid out in the rain
Then he lost his leg in Dallas, he was dancin' with a train,

They were all in love with dyin', they were drinking from a fountain
That was pourin' like an avalanche comin' down the mountain

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

You’re the one that thought I was equating theft to aggravated assault.  And yes,we’re just kidding.

Glad we're kidding, amigo. I was addressing your comparative desire for understatement which, as it turns out, I favor to having everyday events described as amazing, incredible, or tragic. In that progression, terrible sounds pretty mild.

I merely graduated your conservative (not political) approach to description to how an even greater crime than theft such as aggravated assault would acquire the adverb damned in your descriptions. 

Perhaps I was obscure.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Source?  Link?  That can’t be right, we have more guns and more bravado.  Must be because California doesn’t have to put up with all the blacks and illegal immigrants like Texas does.  

https://www.statista.com/statistics/232575/property-crime-rate-in-the-us-by-state/

States with more property crime than California include Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Alaska, Kansas and Utah. Massachusetts has the least. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/232575/property-crime-rate-in-the-us-by-state/

States with more property crime than California include Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Alaska, Kansas and Utah. Massachusetts has the least. 

Republicans will predictably offload blame on the nearest jurisdiction run by Democrats.

• Hook 'Em 1

The probable reason why Massachusetts has the lowest rate is the micks in Boston never report their shit stolen, they just go out and steal somebody else’s, who then does the same, and this continues on until finally about a year or so later you steal back the shit originally stolen from you. 

• Hook 'Em 4

38 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

"Taxachusetts", always the trumpers here won't know what state we are talking about.

40 minutes ago, F250 said:

I brok into a train at a Coors warehouse in high school a couple of times.

Where was the warehouse out of curiosity?  

With the media attention this is getting, I am sure UP will step up their policing. Or I should say, go through the motions. I do a lot of street portraits of travelers and I see fewer and fewer of them pass through Houston. It bums me out because I like the subject matter and all this shit probably will deter riders.

After commenting in this thread about graffiti on trains, I had one person contact me about my documentation. However, if anyone is curious about train hoppers, I would look up Shoestring Hobo or Stobe the Hobo on YouTube.