Disenchantment: New Animated Series from Matt Groening

Somehow I never saw the initial announcement for this last year. Anyway, Season 1 launches 8/17 on Netflix.

warrior-pose-image-fin_400dpi.jpg?w=1400

Great voice cast: 

Created by Groening (The Simpsons, Futurama), the show takes place in the crumbling medieval kingdom named Dreamland and centers on the exploits of a hard-drinking princess named Bean (Abbi Jacobson), her plucky elf friend Elfo (Nat Faxon), and her personal demon Luci (Eric Andre) as they match wits with “ogres, sprites, harpies, imps, trolls, walruses, and lots of human fools.”

The series, whose 10-episode first season launches Aug. 17, also will feature the voice talents of John DiMaggio, Billy West, Maurice LaMarche, Tress MacNeille, David Herman, Matt Berry, Jeny Batten, Rich Fulcher, Noel Fielding, and Lucy Montgomery.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This world looks ripe for a cameo by Akbar & Jeff, purveyors of magic oils and balms, consultants to regents and witches, armaments dealers to all knights of the realm.  

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, futureman said:

I’m waiting for this thread to tell me if I should watch it or not. 

Username does not check out.

First 2 are a little slow just for developing the 3 main characters (Princess Bean, Elfo, Luci the Demon ("weird cat").  Really picks up after that.  I got through 5 of them pretty easily in one sitting last night.  Charming, but not as funny as Futurama.  Don't try to compare it to Futurama based on the animation and voices, few things hold up to how great that show truly was.

Eric Andre is great at playing Luci.  Every time the King talks, I just hear Mr. Panucci. 

5T2Q.gif

• Like 1

I'm part of the way through ep3, it's getting a bit better, I hope it picks up fast, though.

The first two episodes seemed to be paced a bit slow. I think maybe they had to adjust a lot to a 27 minute show with no commercials. I expected more like Futurama where it's packed with jokes.

I watched the first three episodes while drunk and couldn't follow.  I watched again last night sober and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Definitely needed some character development, and an eye for some of the more subtle jokes.  The business signs are kinda silly.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
19 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Haven’t started s4 yet. It took me a couple starts stops to get in to this. By the time I got to episode 4 or 5 I got pretty hooked and enjoyed it. I think the first couple of times I watched it I just wasn’t in the mood for this. 

I slacked off on seasons 2 and 3, but recently started 3 and nearly binged it.

I hope they get 5 & 6 greenlit.  I would like a whole season in Steamland.