Complex requires renters insurance, Austin

Found out that if I renew my lease in a few months that my complex is requiring me to have 100k in renters insurance. 

I already have 30k worth which is more than enough for my meager possessions.

My questions are:

Can I tell them to fuck off?

What benefit is it to them? It's not like my insurance will pay for their pipes bursting or fire damage. 

Is it to cover shit my dumbass might do, and would that not be what the deposit is for?

Any help fromthe surly property law cabal would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

I would thing that it's for liability, like if one of your guests gets shitfaced and falls down outside and cracks his skull open. 

This.  The policy you currently have in place for your contents almost certainly includes $100k in liability coverage.  Forward them a copy of your declarations page and that should satisfy them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

This.  The policy you currently have in place for your contents almost certainly includes $100k in liability coverage.  Forward them a copy of your declarations page and that should satisfy them.  

Thanks! My only guests are hookers, and those heels can get tricky after snorting a bunch of blow.

• Haha 1