2022 Australian Open

shadow_operative2.0

I did nazi the Konteveit/ Tauson match at all. Konteveit has been a calm assassin and yet against Tauson, she served like dog shit apparently. Also was atrocious at winning second serve points. 

Not surprised to see Muguruza get knocked out, but also wouldn’t have been surprised if she made it to the Quarterfinals… or maybe even the Semis. You just never know what day she’s going to crack.

Swiatek is quietly playing impressive tennis. Is her head in order or is she going to crumble light she did so many times last year?

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Emma and Leylah have won a grand total of six matches COMBINED since their US Open final.

That's so....WTA...

It was a fun run at the US Open. 

I think that they both were in a zone at the same time that most of the WTA wasn't.

I see a solid Top 15 career for Emma and several 500 series & up titles along the way. I see Leylah winning 250 series titles and being a regular in the Top 30-ish.

I don't expect Emma to make a run until she solidifies her coach, stops catching COVID, and starts focusing on playing tennis. That may happen by March, it may not happen this year. Vamos a ver. She will have fewer and fewer requests for her time as last year's US Open gets farther (further?) & father (further?) in her rearview mirror.

I haven't submitted to the ESPN+ overlord yet, so I think that I got a smidgeon of action on the first night and nothing since. They will actually start showing some tennis on their 4 fucking ESPN channels in week 2, but they have this thing so locked up that even the Tennis Channel doesn't have rights to tape delayed shit.

First ESPN+ came for the college football fans and we didn't say anything.
Then ESPN+ came for the soccer fans and people said "better them than us".
Then ESPN+ came for the college basketball fans and there was hardly a whimper.
And finally ESPN+ has come for the tennis fans and there was no one left to help.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Krejcikova down a set and a break to Ostapenko. This would be a surprising upset, but also Ostapenko has a reputation of taking the match out of her opponents hands. If she's on her game, no one can beat her.

Lol and just like that she breaks herself.  Badosa looks sharp in her match.  I also just saw Madison Keys hit about three forehands two feet out, but if she can calm down she’ll win easily.

Krejcikova has been so good for the last 9 months that I did not anticipate her going out before the Quarters. We'll see if her recovery is the 2nd set gets her on her way.

I usually can't remember what Kostyuk's face looks like, but every time I see her name listed I think: "Oh yeah, I remember that I really like her ass."

PS- Thanks for the ESPN2 @ 8pm tip!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

TC just showed the 3rd set, one helluva save on the first MP by Amanda serving @ 4-5. Naomi took the loss well, appears to be asking about AA’s bracelet right after the handshake. 

Got me misty-eyed thinking about how big of a win this is when she was obviously reeling from the loss of her father for two years. 

The smile on her face looks like relief & happiness combined with a “I can’t believe that just happened.” vibe all muted under a reserved reaction out of respect for her opponent.

Happy for that girl. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

She lost her New Balance sponsorship this year, now all she has is some financial company as a patch. 

This won’t help. 

She’s not a glowing personality on the court. Don’t know what she is like off the court, but other than MMA or boxing companies, I can’t imagine any brand wanting to be associated with that on court persona. 🤷‍♂️

CE131672-9F1C-4ABE-A44A-A7E28653B867.jpeg