Dallas Cowboys 2022 Offseason Thread -- Every Time Jerrah Talks, an Angel Sheds Their Wings

Patrick Bateman

On 1/23/2022 at 8:42 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

I can’t possibly stress this enough. There were people in this thread that said they’d take Dak over Josh Allen no more than a two weeks ago. 

I’d like names. I can’t believe that. There were people that argued (hard) with me that he was a Top 5 QB. I said no fucking way. 

35 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Come on Jerry!!!

Honestly, this is the only (realistic) thing that will get me out of bed for the Cowboys again next season. And I think I can speak for most Cowboys fans when I say that. Jerry has to see that, right?

16 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

this is it.  if we don't move on this we're not winning another superbowl before jerry dies.

And this ^ Jerry has to see that too, right?

And no, you can't trot McCarthy back out there next year in hopes that you get Sean for 2023. The time is now. NOW!

Edited by Landomatic

On 1/24/2022 at 7:20 AM, Dewey said:

Dallas is undisciplined, they ran a dumb play up the middle with no time outs. That said, it's annoying to see so many tweets after one team or another wins a game. Chiefs did it in 13 second, refs didn't spot the ball in Rams game, Burrow has more playoff wins than Dak and so on. Those were some of the best games I have seen in a long time, yet so many need to drag the Cowboys sorry ass into every discussion.  So I'm all for Jerry making a coaching change the week of the super bowl, just to see all these haters go off about Jerry stealing headlines, when they can't leave the Cowboys out of any discussion, ever. "Talking about the miracle of ice, what's your favorite memory of that game?"

"First off, the Cowboys lost the ice bowl, secondly, I'm not sure the Cowboys ever have won a cold weather game and thirdly,  have they ever won a gold medal? But these kids, most of whom never played in the NHL won gold?!? I mean come on Dallas?"

image.gif.3374bb320ff23d6012f3b4049c8cd5af.gif

Name the coach:  McCarthy or Payton?

Regular season: 152–89 (.631)
Postseason: 9–8 (.529)
Career: 161–97 (.624)
Regular season: 143–92–2 (.608)
Postseason: 10–9 (.526)
Career: 153–101–2 (.602)

I think Payton will take a year off.  McCarthy will coach one more year for Dallas.  If Dallas doesn't make the NFC Championship game, he's gone, and Payton comes in.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 9:06 AM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Jerry immaculates his head coaches and compromises their authority.  Even Bill Parcells had to accept Terrell Owens despite wanting no part of coaching him. How can a couch discipline his team when the team knows he's not the boss of them? 

I don’t have a problem with Jerry saying “Bill, we’re gonna sign TO anyway” and overruling him. That’s Jerry’s team and job and you were talking about the best receiver of his generation (and not as crazy as AB). Everything else I totally agree with you on, except that I’m pretty sure he emasculates and not immaculates. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He still has a lot of learning to do IMO, especially in how to manufacture more offense without deep drops.  I would like them to upgrade on Philbin, who I think was shitty and proven to be mediocre at best throughout his career.  

Dammit. That dude needs to get gone now. Maybe Payton would help him but Payton isn’t coming because Payton isn’t dumb. 

7 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Do we really think SP is that much of an upgrade at this point? The problem is still going to be the GM and that isn't going anywhere. 

Jerry wasn't the problem this year. Every other year, sure. And yes, SP is an upgrade.

3 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Records don't tell the full story. There's not a person on the planet, at least with any NFL knowledge (no offense to you and a couple of other posters here) who doesn't know SP is an upgrade. Plus he's exactly what this Cowboys team appears to need. Hard ass, offensive guy, attention to detail, coaches discipline, etc.

3 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I think Payton will take a year off.  McCarthy will coach one more year for Dallas.  If Dallas doesn't make the NFC Championship game, he's gone, and Payton comes in.

I don't think Jerry, or this team, has that much time. Whether Jerry realizes that or not is another story.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

McCarthy has had more talent to accumulate his record but I don’t think Payton is that much of an upgrade. I think McCarthy would’ve had the Saints at 6-11 at best this year, and this underscores the primary difference: with Payton you’d have a much more disciplined, focused team, and a higher floor. And you’d have competence versus a fat slob making idiotic time management non decisions. But Payton isn’t Belichick or Reid. I’d rather have LaFleur or McVay or Shanahan. He’s a definite upgrade but not significantly so. I don’t think he’d win a championship with Dak without a stacked roster because Dak isn’t that good. 

If I were Payton, I wouldn’t demand all personnel control, but I would demand the right to let Dak walk at a cap friendly time when it becomes apparent he’ll never win anything of substance. 

11 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I agree. Payton will hint at wanting time off, unspoken burnout type deal. I doubt he is Jerry's biggest fan. But who knows, it's still the Cowboys, and that still carries weight with some folks. 

6 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

McCarthy has had more talent to accumulate his record but I don’t think Payton is that much of an upgrade. I think McCarthy would’ve had the Saints at 6-11 at best this year, and this underscores the primary difference: with Payton you’d have a much more disciplined, focused team, and a higher floor. And you’d have competence versus a fat slob making idiotic time management non decisions. But Payton isn’t Belichick or Reid. I’d rather have LaFleur or McVay or Shanahan. He’s a definite upgrade but not significantly so. I don’t think he’d win a championship with Dak without a stacked roster because Dak isn’t that good. 

If I were Payton, I wouldn’t demand all personnel control, but I would demand the right to let Dak walk at a cap friendly time when it becomes apparent he’ll never win anything of substance. 

Yeah, but you're not getting any of them.  Payton is the best realistic option and it's not even close.

Edited by Landomatic

Payton would be a step up from McCarthy, but I've never been overly impressed with him. If he brings his Saints defensive staff with him that's a much better deal. They carried the Saints the last few years. He's also kind of a douche and has been a bit of baggage with the league. I feel like it would be a similar situation as the last few Cowboys head coaches, but with more credibility and optimism. I don't think he gets the Cowboys much further. He's not getting Brees out of retirement and bringing his D-line with him.

4 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Jerry wasn't the problem this year. Every other year, sure. And yes, SP is an upgrade.

Records don't tell the full story. There's not a person on the planet, at least with any NFL knowledge (no offense to you and a couple of other posters here) who doesn't know SP is an upgrade. Plus he's exactly what this Cowboys team appears to need. Hard ass, offensive guy, attention to detail, coaches discipline, etc.

I don't think Jerry, or this team, has that much time. Whether Jerry realizes that or not is another story.

Jerry wasn't the problem this year? You don't think that aging RB and Oline we trot out there every week was his fault? Are you under the impression this roster is going to be better next year? They're going to have to knock it out of the park in the draft just to maintain their current level. 

2 minutes ago, DougO said:

I agree. Payton will hint at wanting time off, unspoken burnout type deal. I doubt he is Jerry's biggest fan. But who knows, it's still the Cowboys, and that still carries weight with some folks. 

I think he's a big Jerry fan, at least by being a fan of Jerry standards anyway. Which is saying something.

I could see Belichick as a shocker longshot. I bet it's percolating in Jerry's mind, and I believe Bill can leave any time he wants. I don't think it's going to happen, but if there's a big deal shocking move possible, it may be one of the more possible ones that nobody's going to believe right now.

He's probably stuck with McCarthy for another year, but will want to make some staff changes, if Jerry has any working brain cells remaining. Start with replacing Quinn (probably) and finding someone to make some sense out of the offense.

6 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Jerry wasn't the problem this year? You don't think that aging RB and Oline we trot out there every week was his fault? Are you under the impression this roster is going to be better next year? They're going to have to knock it out of the park in the draft just to maintain their current level. 

I (along with anyone with a pulse) think we had the talent this year to be much better. Show me a team in the league that doesn't have roster holes somewhere. Nobody is perfect at every position. It doesn't work that way. Coaching was the problem this year, not the roster. And you're correct, by all indications that roster is only going to decline, which is why Jerry needs to move on SP now if it's doable.

Edited by Landomatic

14 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I (along with anyone with a pulse) think we had the talent this year to be much better. Show me a team in the league that doesn't have roster holes somewhere. Nobody is perfect at every position. It doesn't work that way. Coaching was the problem this year, not the roster. And you're correct, by all indications that roster is only going to decline, which is why Jerry needs to move on SP now if it's doable.

I'm really not defending McCarthy here because I don't think he's the solution either, but I don't know why you would think this. They went 3-4 against playoff teams this season and two of those wins were against the Eagles. They pretty much beat the teams they should and played somewhat competitive games against playoff teams. I think they finished exactly as anyone who isn't a fan would have predicted. They are massively overrated on the o-line and for some reason think Zeke is better RB than Pollard. The final 4 teams in the NFC were better than the Cowboys and have fewer holes. Playoffs proved that. 

32 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, but you're not getting any of them.  Payton is the best realistic option and it's not even close.

Well yeah. My point is, McCarthy is probably a middle of the pack coach. Payton is Top 10. Not a huge difference. You’re probably bound for a lot of playoffs with Payton, but still with early exits with Dak. 

32 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I'm really not defending McCarthy here because I don't think he's the solution either, but I don't know why you would think this. They went 3-4 against playoff teams this season and two of those wins were against the Eagles. They pretty much beat the teams they should and played somewhat competitive games against playoff teams. I think they finished exactly as anyone who isn't a fan would have predicted. They are massively overrated on the o-line and for some reason think Zeke is better RB than Pollard. The final 4 teams in the NFC were better than the Cowboys and have fewer holes. Playoffs proved that. 

I think this because I think we have more talent than our record ended up being. And I think just about everyone, Cowboy fan or not, except maybe Stephen A Smith’s dumbass, agrees.

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

Both coached HOF QBs, had good front office help, and have pretty interesting playoff records.  Payton has 1 non-home win in the playoffs and lost quite a bit at home after a 5-0 start to his career.  I think Payton is an improvement over Fat boy, but that's because McCarthy is that bad, not that Payton is that good..... He's not bad, but feels like it would pretty much be paint by numbers and typically do what he does, win a playoff game 2 out of 3 years with an away loss in the conference or divisional rounds.  That's better than a first round exit.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

Actually thought 12-5 was a pretty fair record for the 2021 Cowboys. Only two teams in the NFL finished with a better regular season record I believe (GB and Tampa). 

That said- Fat Mike is somewhere in the middle of head coaches. Could certainly upgrade. 

Think Sean Payton has been unlucky come playoff time. The non-pass interference call against the Rams. Stephon Diggs miracle.

There is a lot of variance in the single elimination playoff format. Obviously have to live in the real world but could easily replay GB/SF or TB/LAR ten times and have a Packers vs Bucs NFC Champ game in many simulations this year.

7 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

I’d like names. I can’t believe that. There were people that argued (hard) with me that he was a Top 5 QB. I said no fucking way. 

They know who they are. Vic was one of them of course, and probably drew, but I’m not going to go back through the thread because that’s tedious work. It was always a ridiculous take, but it was just highlighted this postseason. Allen is A LOT closer to Mahomes than Dak is to Allen. Hell, Allen is probably on par with Mahomes. 

Dak is a leader. He is smart. He works hard. He studies and knows the offense. He makes good decisions while running the plays. He is calm under pressure. He is tough, and a good athlete. 

He isn’t very good at throwing the football accurately and with consistency. one of the worst starters in the league, at that facet. Which is why he will never win big, why it was stupid to sign him to so much, and why he will be replaced in two years. 

Edited by statsman

51 minutes ago, statsman said:

Dak is a leader. He is smart. He works hard. He studies and knows the offense. He makes good decisions while running the plays. 

I’m not sure if you’ve ever actually seen him in an interview but dak is an absolute goddamned fucking moron and he’ll never win a thing because he’s a train wreck and he sucks. 

9 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

was just about to post this.  spot on.

7 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Think Sean Payton has been unlucky come playoff time. The non-pass interference call against the Rams. Stephon Diggs miracle.

There is a lot of variance in the single elimination playoff format. Obviously have to live in the real world but could easily replay GB/SF or TB/LAR ten times and have a Packers vs Bucs NFC Champ game in many simulations this year.

yeah but McCarthy has been unlucky also.  I mean how unlucky do you have to be to have your OC call for a 20 yard run with no timeouts and 14 seconds left

7 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Actually thought 12-5 was a pretty fair record for the 2021 Cowboys. Only two teams in the NFL finished with a better regular season record I believe (GB and Tampa). 

That said- Fat Mike is somewhere in the middle of head coaches. Could certainly upgrade. 

the 12-5 is not that great considering the strength of the east.  the home losses to Raiders and Broncos were ridiculous.

10 hours ago, futureman said:

I’m not sure if you’ve ever actually seen him in an interview but dak is an absolute goddamned fucking moron and he’ll never win a thing because he’s a train wreck and he sucks. 

I have heard Dak lots of times. He has always come across as a guy that was both aware of his positional responsibilities and of how they fit into the offensive scheme and game strategy. 
Quincy Carter never did that. Neither did Steve Pelleur or Gary Hogeboom (thinking of past multi game starters). The position requires intelligence and Dak has that. Unfortunately, elite QB play requires arm talent, and that’s where he is lacking. He has a 4th round arm. 

Edited by statsman

22 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

14 hours ago, dcar00 said:

the 12-5 is not that great considering the strength of the east.  the home losses to Raiders and Broncos were ridiculous.

6-0 against the east, 6-6 (including playoffs) against the rest of the league. We were a pretty average team, even when everything broke like we thought it needed to with having an average to above average defense 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

I would like to see McCarthy, Moore, Philbin run out of Texas. I’d rather keep McCarthy and shitcan Moore and Philbin if it’s a choice.

Dak needs good coaching like all QBs. Jon Kitna had him at his best and he has regressed with Nussmeier. He needs to repair his footwork again.

I don’t think Jerry will be able to pull the trigger on Payton. He and the Jones family are good friends with Payton. He’ll have to compensate the Saints big time as will any team. Payton seemed totally burnt out on coaching yesterday. I think he left because the rebuilding effort will take years and endure much losing and it will impugn his legacy.

30 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I don’t think Jerry will be able to pull the trigger on Payton. He and the Jones family are good friends with Payton. He’ll have to compensate the Saints big time as will any team.

Guarantee you Jerry is damn sure trying. If it doesn't happen, it won't be because Jerry won't be able to pull the trigger (or probably due to the Saints ask, unless it's just something ridiculous), it'll be because Payton flat turns him down.

Payton seemed totally burnt out on coaching yesterday.

I didn't see that. I saw him leave the door open for a very easy pivot. 

I think he left because the rebuilding effort will take years and endure much losing and it will impugn his legacy.

Shouldn't be a problem in Dallas...or at least not near as much of one.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:07 PM, statsman said:

I hate to disagree with Troy, but even though his points have merit, think of who he is applying them to…Dak Prescott. If Dak decided to start calling passes to Lamb, about 30% of them would give the DB a shot at a pick. He just doesn’t have the arm talent of an Aikman. That’s why the Cowboys offense is based so much on scheme- the QB’s arm talent requires that. 

Yeah, I was going to say.  And, are many NFL DBs scared of Ceedee Lamb the way they might have been of Irvin?

On 1/25/2022 at 1:56 PM, DougO said:

I could see Belichick as a shocker longshot. I bet it's percolating in Jerry's mind, and I believe Bill can leave any time he wants. I don't think it's going to happen, but if there's a big deal shocking move possible, it may be one of the more possible ones that nobody's going to believe right now.

He's probably stuck with McCarthy for another year, but will want to make some staff changes, if Jerry has any working brain cells remaining. Start with replacing Quinn (probably) and finding someone to make some sense out of the offense.

If Dak and Zeke are there, it won't make a fuck who is wearing the headset.

Some of us said this a long time ago.

It is truth.

People say the same thing about Jimmy Garropollo, with just cause. He's average at best. But even with his limited skillset, he knows how to run his offense, and his offense is well-conceived. He's playing on the conference championship game.

Coaching matters. Hall Of Fame quarterbacks don't just happen because you want one. Every team wants one. You can still be really good with an average qb, if your coaching staff isn't a flaming clown car on ice.

People say the same thing about Jimmy Garropollo, with just cause. He's average at best. But even with his limited skillset, he knows how to run his offense, and his offense is well-conceived. He's playing on the conference championship game.
Coaching matters. Hall Of Fame quarterbacks don't just happen because you want one. Every team wants one. You can still be really good with an average qb, if your coaching staff isn't a flaming clown car on ice.

There are many reasons most top college QB prospects flame out of the league or become perpetual backups. Many are on the player, whether it’s poor filmroom habits or lazy diligence on footwork and timing. But dozens of them are deemed busts because they had the misfortune to be drafted by shitty organizations with a terrible o line and inept coaching. All top QBs have benefitted from strong position coaching.

McCarthy has shortchanged Dak by firing Kitna and sliding Nussmeier into the role, and completely handing the offense to Little Linehan drawing neato plays he thought up holding a clipboard.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Coaching matters.

it does matter. and that’s why jerry jones sits in on all the coaching meetings to make sure that the coaching staff is doing things the right way. jerry is a three-time world champion general manager so I assure you he understands what is required of a coaching staff. 

• Rage+1 1

Jimmy G has 0 TDs 2 INTs and thrown around 150 yards a game this postseason.
Could very well could make his 2nd Super Bowl. I want a QB that can lift up their defense like Jimmy can.

That’s because Kyle Shanahan knows his QB’s limits and game plans around them. That team is running the ball successfully with a goddamn WR. Fat mike could never come up with a plan like that.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

That’s because Kyle Shanahan knows his QB’s limits and game plans around them. That team is running the ball successfully with a goddamn WR. Fat mike could never come up with a plan like that.

And Jerry Jones would never attract a young innovative coach like that, nor is he capable of being incisive enough to pick one out prior to it becoming obvious. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

And Jerry Jones would never attract a young innovative coach like that, nor is he capable of being incisive enough to pick one out prior to it becoming obvious. 

Uhhh Kellen Moore is here because he has been running a league leading offense for several years. Jerry sees him exactly as a Shanahan, a LaFleur, or similar. It’s why he’s getting lots of interviews by other teams.

As for Shanahan he has lost 2 Super Bowls because 28-3 is hard to shake off.