Have you contracted Covid-19 (Jan'22 Omicron Edition)

0xdeadbeef

Have you contracted Covid-19 (Jan'22 Omicron Edition)  

166 members have voted

1. 1. It's mid-January 2022 and all the cool kids are getting Covid-19.

• Yes, I've had it.
    • No, not that I know of.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/25/22 at 08:35 AM

home tested + last night.  really thought i had it a week prior (wife was + 1st week of Jan) but I tested negative 2 times then.  Thought for sure i had a sinus inf. but wanted to test for covid before wasting a doctor's time.  boom...postive for covid.  

Today the brain fog is killing me.  trying to work on a computer and do math is really challenging.  it's almost making me dizzy.  crazy feeling

was 2x moderna and had the boost on Jan 3rd.

My kids have been dealing with Covid for about 10days.  For about 5 days they were miserable.  Fevers, cough, congestion.  Better now but still not 90%.  Wife and I had it. We were mostly ok just really tired.  She was finally able to get a test after about 4 days of not having any openings.  She still hasn't gotten the results back.  Apparently its a combination of the large amounts of tests conducted and healthcare workers being out sick. We had at home tests and all 4 of us came back positive.  I know they're not 100% but I feel confident saying we had it. 

I hoped my kids would be able to start back to school yesterday or today but they still get a low-grade fever every day and have a cough.  Looks like they'll be out the rest of the week and hopefully good by next Monday.  

With having to get up to give my kids cough medicine in the middle of the night I haven't slept well since this whole thing started.  

6 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I know they're not 100% but I feel confident saying we had it. 

My understanding false negatives are a thing but not so much with false positives.

6 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

My kids have been dealing with Covid for about 10days.  For about 5 days they were miserable.  Fevers, cough, congestion.

That's pretty rare for kids to deal with covid that long with that level of symptoms.  My daughter had a cold for two days.   Although reports seem to be confirm omi is hitting kids much much harder.

We all have our own "loogie bucket". If you can keep from swallowing your sinus drainage, it will help keep your throat from getting sore, or lessen it. It will also lessen the chance that you will get the bronchitis that is associated with this strain. It's gross as fuck, but effective.

Today, I feel fine, had some fatigue so I slept till 12:20.

CHIEF

59 minutes ago, midtown said:

My understanding false negatives are a thing but not so much with false positives.

Definitely not with four tests while people are showing symptoms.  

As noted up-thread for my family, a false positive on an antigen test is the only thing I can think of as all four of us were negative on PCR that same day.  I’m guessing one of the two tests we used on my kids was bunk

4 hours ago, midtown said:

That's pretty rare for kids to deal with covid that long with that level of symptoms.  My daughter had a cold for two days.   Although reports seem to be confirm omi is hitting kids much much harder.

My kids are 6 and double vaxxed and I'm glad.

54 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

My wife tested positive in Tuesday with a rapid test. I felt fine until last night. Throat is sore, headache comes and goes, congestion and feeling a bit rundown. Results of her PCR should come in on Friday.

Welcome to the club.

I got it over NYE along with 90% of coworkers. One day of mild fever and a night sweat then good to go. Double vax but overdue for booster by a few months. woops. Boosted coworkers hardly had any symptoms and the few that have avoided getting sick are boosted.

Tweet thread from a Dr up here in Seattle at FredHutch. Suggests 40% of population in states will have been infected over an 8 week period. That's pretty nuts.

I should be getting more rapid tests in soon and am going to recheck all of us.  My wife and I’s symptoms are just too on-the-nose, it’s possible the PCR was too soon (~24 hours after symptoms started) though I still don’t get how a rapid would be + for my son but - on a PCR.  

I ran a low temp for the last 24 hours, along with scratchy throat, headache, light cough, sinus congestion and now even the runs.  This would be day 4 of symptoms and until I had a temp, I figured it was just a bad cold or allergies. 

Thing that’d suck is if the quarantine time starts when we were able to get our hands on tests and not when symptoms started.  

I took a rapid test, and barely had a showing on the Covid positive line, I should be negative by tomorrow. To be honest, I've had allergies that were worse than this. Not being an immunologist, if you get Omnicron, does this give you antibodies that will provide protection from the initial strain and Delta? Hoping to see light at the end of the tunnel, that this fiasco can end. 

CHIEF

There was a case at my sons school last Monday, I kept him home Friday because he seemed a little off and was lethargic. He tested positive that afternoon, by Sunday me, my wife and other son all tested positive with symptoms, wife and I are fully vaxxed with booster.

I had it a few weeks back and it was really nothing more than a cold. 1.5 days of runny nose, slight fever and body aches. I was J & J vaxed in April of ‘21 and never got a booster (basically unvaxed at the time of my infection, depending on your definition). I’m really having a hard time with seeing how this vaccine helped me that much, must less a need for boosters and/or getting Moderna or Pfizer. 

I had it this week for 2 days. It was like a cold. Didn't lose any taste or smell this time. Headache was there. Sore throat. A buddy gave it to me. He owes me. Well maybe just a 6 pack. Nothing at all like last fall when I had it. Still haven't recovered 10-20% of my smell from round 1. No vax. 

29 minutes ago, 3adays said:

I had it a few weeks back and it was really nothing more than a cold. 1.5 days of runny nose, slight fever and body aches. I was J & J vaxed in April of ‘21 and never got a booster (basically unvaxed at the time of my infection, depending on your definition). I’m really having a hard time with seeing how this vaccine helped me that much, must less a need for boosters and/or getting Moderna or Pfizer. 

I’d have you talk with my unvaxxed Uncle but he’s in week 3 of fighting for his life with Covid induced pneumonia that has now created holes in his lungs such that they have collapsed.  

Or maybe you could talk with my unvaxxed Aunt who just got out of the hospital after 2 weeks and is now wondering if her husband is going to die.

Or you could just not be a fucking idiot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’d have you talk with my unvaxxed Uncle but he’s in week 3 of fighting for his life with Covid induced pneumonia that has now created holes in his lungs such that they have collapsed.  

Or maybe you could talk with my unvaxxed Aunt who just got out of the hospital after 2 weeks and is now wondering if her husband is going to die.

Or you could just not be a fucking idiot.

I’m sorry for your Aunt and Uncle,  hope they pull through. Not sure why you feel the need to call me a “fucking idiot”? I took the jab, just not sure if I want to keep taking them…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, 3adays said:

“I took the shitty vaccine and still had mild disease, so I don’t see any point in the vaccines - especially the stronger ones.”

• Hook 'Em 2

In. Whole family of 5 has it, brought home by the youngest from day care. Feels like a standard sinus infection to me. Kids are fine. Wife has cold symptoms and fatigue but nothing too bad. we are both 3x vaxed and two older kids (5 and 8 y.o.) are double vaxed. 

The reports of the 2-3 day exposure-symptoms window seemed very accurate in our case. Which is kind of nice compared to that purported 10-14 day bullshit at the beginning. Easier to trace the source, in my non-medical opinion.

Thought I might get out of this thing never catching Covid, damn!  

Pure anecdotal here, but of everyone I’ve known that has gotten covid (unvaxxed, vaxxed, boostered) my wife and I have had the most mild symptoms of the people we know and all we had was the JnJ shot last March.

Is there to much of a focus on antibody measures and not enough reviews of T and B cells? Does the JnJ do a better job of building immunity from T and B cells but a worse job at preventing infection?

I’m pro vax. Tried to get booster shot, but every time I saw an available appointment it didn’t fit my schedule.

About 12hrs exactly after Covid booster shot I got sick as shit. Fever, chills, sweats, nausea etc. After about 8 hours the fever died and I started to immediately recover. Just felt like ass had been kicked. (Shot in sept)

Once last month and once this week I have had the same reaction out of nowhere, same symptoms etc.  After 12 hours fever is gone and start to recover. 

Home Covid tests negative both times, just a coincidental bug?

45 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

About 12hrs exactly after Covid booster shot I got sick as shit. Fever, chills, sweats, nausea etc. After about 8 hours the fever died and I started to immediately recover. Just felt like ass had been kicked. (Shot in sept)

Once last month and once this week I have had the same reaction out of nowhere, same symptoms etc.  After 12 hours fever is gone and start to recover. 

I’ve been having the same issues periodically since my second dose of Pfizer last April though my fever usually last ~24hrs.  I’ve tested each time, plus when I’ve traveled, and have always been negative.  Prior to the shot I can’t remember the last time I was sick.  I’m in a good age group with no comorbidity’s so I’m opting not to take the booster for now.   

edit to add: all the test I’ve taken have been through labs (mostly ASU).  

Edited by SDG
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

probably just reaction to the booster.  i had similar to my 2nd shot.  was a little achy for a night then back to normal 

10 hours ago, TTU13 said:

Pure anecdotal here, but of everyone I’ve known that has gotten covid (unvaxxed, vaxxed, boostered) my wife and I have had the most mild symptoms of the people we know and all we had was the JnJ shot last March.

Is there to much of a focus on antibody measures and not enough reviews of T and B cells? Does the JnJ do a better job of building immunity from T and B cells but a worse job at preventing infection?

I’m pro vax. Tried to get booster shot, but every time I saw an available appointment it didn’t fit my schedule.

I know there are studies out of South Africa that two J&J shots is better at preventing hospitalization from omicron that two shots of Pfizer. Personally I’d heard so much about J & J loosing effectiveness over time that I assumed my one shot 9 months ago wasn’t really doing much for me. Maybe I was wrong. 

On 1/16/2022 at 11:02 PM, NorthLoop said:

Wife and daughter have had it for a week. Me and the boy are still negative thanks to my superior genetics. The girls have had nothing more than a sore throat. I'm hoping this means Covid will soon be just another cold/flu we have to deal with each year from now on.

The boy tested positive a few days ago and had a 24 hour fever that never got above 101. He's 2 so no shots. 

I finally tested positive on the PCR I took Wednesday. Zero symptoms so far. Was only taking the tests because I spent 2 weeks in a house full of the infected.

About half of my office has it and my daughter said that when she went back to school a couple days ago, half of the kids were out (i'm sure that's a little exaggerated, but still).  

Well hunch was right, do have Covid.  Feb/Mar Moderna, Aug booster.  PCR - on day 2 of symptoms, rapid + on day 5

Saturday: birthday party where we probably got it from no vax/mask folks

Monday Night: scratchy throat, sinus drainage

Tuesday: Cough and occasional headache, wife is def sick…Daughter - / son + on rapid, all PCR -

Wednesday:  ~100F temp, feel rotten, tired, tell my lungs aren’t 100%

Thursday/Friday: got the runs but respiratory slowly getting better, still tired a lot

Figured might as well complete the story.  Doing Cares draw on Tuesday so will see what they say.  Team ‘bad cold’ here so far for overweight 41yo. 

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Well hunch was right, do have Covid.  Feb/Mar Moderna, Aug booster.  PCR - on day 2 of symptoms, rapid + on day 5

Monday Night: scratchy throat, sinus drainage

Tuesday: Cough and occasional headache, wife is def sick…Daughter - / son + on rapid, all PCR -

Wednesday:  ~100F temp, feel rotten, tired, tell my lungs aren’t 100%

Thursday/Friday: got the runs but respiratory slowly getting better, still tired a lot

Figured might as well complete the story.  Doing Cares draw on Tuesday so will see what they say.  Team ‘bad cold’ here so far for overweight 41yo. 

mean girls fat ass GIF

Pretty sure, based on the gaggle of middle aged dudes laughing into their beer bottles and 96oz Longhorns Yeti’s I saw walking by the tailgate at the OkState game this year…I’m well within a sigma of the circumference mean around here.  I shoulda stopped and regret not doing it, was nervous as hell about the game and not sure how I’d explain it all to my wife all “I’m from the internet and I’m here to drink, find some naoch and fuck South Austin’s mom”

One last side note on Covid…my heart rate has def been elevated since the day before it kicked off.  Took my Fitbit off as I was tired of it harping on me.  Curious if anyone else noticed that. 

Edited by Homercles

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

They were sick at the party (or just simple deduction due to no vax/mask) ?

5 minutes ago, Homercles said:

One last side note on Covid…my heart rate has def been elevated since the day before it kicked off.  Took my Fitbit off as I was tired of it harping on me.  Curious if anyone else noticed that. 

Fever, stress, low pulse ox, ALL combined or even by themselves will elevate your heart rate. Lots of cold/flu meds too. 

Still nothing, and it’s not for a lack of trying. 

From last Thursday to Sunday I dined at five restaurants, not something I normally do in the pandemic (or even before the pandemic), but they were for celebratory occasions. And this past Thursday I saw a show at Moody Theater – I was masked but the majority of attendees in a packed house were not.

Add to that two kids in school, and each playing basketball. In particular, the girls on the McCallum basketball team have been dropping like flies, but my daughter hasn’t tested positive yet or had any symptoms.

Either I already had it and was asymptomatic, or my immune system is bringing the big dick energy against Omicron. Maybe getting my booster on December 1 shortly before this latest wave hit has helped. Oh, and I got a pesky head cold right before Thanksgiving, and I read that can bolster the T cell numbers to help fight off COVID.

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 1