An Officer And A Gentleman

TOR

Yeah, Summers went through an interesting transformation.  She was tom-boyish cute in "Officer and..." and then was just smoking hot in BHC.  The haircut and smokey voice helped a lot.  

She woulda been in my late 80's spank bank but every time I picture her, all I could see/hear was Bronson Pinchot:

"Please tell Ms. Summers that a Mr. Ackwell."

"no, Axle."

"Akmail."

"Axe---ULL."

"...Foley, is here to see her."  

Edited by Lobo

33 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, Summers went through an interesting transformation.  She was tom-boyish cute in "Officer and..." and then was just smoking hot in BHC.  The haircut and smokey voice helped a lot.  

She woulda been in my late 80's spank bank but every time I picture her, all I could see/hear was Bronson Pinchot:

"no, Axle."

"Akmail."

"Axe---ULL."

“Get the fuck out of here!”

”No I cannot!”

• Haha 2

Just dawned on me that Paula's dad was Victor Frank---the longtime Michael Landon collaborator.  He was just 2-3 years older than I am now during filming, despite being the father to a 27-year old young lady.  And that he passed away just a few years after that from lung cancer.  

And this thread made me go back and watch part of the film when I couldn't sleep the other night.  Sid's mom was an actress from Austin, Texas of all places.  I'm sure it dreaded her to play an Okie.  But I totally forgot about the part about Sid's brother dying and then cozying up to the widow with promises to marry her, all the while getting some naval base strange and knocking her up too (or so he thought---SPOILER ALERT!).   I remember it strange from years and years ago when I last watched it that he wanted to move back to Oklahoma to work at Ward's or Sears or someshit with Lynette when all the while, he's other betrothed from his dead brother was also living there and expecting him.  What a fucked up dynamic, but as they call it in Oklahoma---Tuesday.  Obviously Sid didn't handle all the chaos that well.  

Didn't realize that Debrah Winger ended up marrying a favorite character actor of mine with some ties to Texas, Arliss Howard.  

Awesome to read that Gossett is still acting and going hard at 85.  If you ever have a chance to listen to his narration of "The Wall that Heals" about the Vietnam War Memorial...do it.  He's no Morgan Freeman, but it'll make you bawl just the same.  

6 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Any specific stories?

She was basically Ed Norton, minus the script rewrites, back in the day. Very mercurial with Directors and co stars (she and Gere hated each other, and she and Shirley McClaine also feuded). Very picky about her roles and put up with no bullshit.  Then she aged out of the game.

Whether she was also “difficult” in the Harvey Weinstein way (I.e. she wouldn’t get on the casting couch)  I have no idea.  

Basically, like Norton, she thought she was the smartest and most talented in the room, and she usually was, but that tends to rub people the wrong way. And she suffers fools poorly.

Theres a Documentary about her and a million articles  

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Never really heard that about her.  Probably because I don't care and never gave her any thought after Legal Eagles.  But she must have rubbed somebody the wrong way because during her prime acting years, the 1990's and 2000's, she only does a handful of roles...all of them deeply forgettable.  But looks like from imdb, she's been working vigorously and on some great shows/films.  Good for her.  She had a great ass.  

53 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

She was basically Ed Norton, minus the script rewrites, back in the day.  

Damn, that's about as spot on of a description as one could paint. She was supremely talented, but there are a lot of supremely talented actors who can still be professional and treat their colleagues with respect as equals. 

She was replaced by Kathleen Turner in Peggy Sue Got Married due to an injury that happened before shooting began. And she was cast to star as Dottie in A League of Their Own, but was either fired or left the production because she refused to work with Madonna (apparently gave the producers an "it's me or her" ultimatum). It's hard to imagine her doing any better than Geena Davis in that roll, and Davis definitely edges her in the looks department.

On 1/17/2022 at 6:39 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Guilty pleasure of mine. If it's on, I'm watching it. Plus have visited Port Townsend WA and Fort Worden where it was filmed. Beautiful area.

It’s beautiful country out there. My FIL lives in Sequim, about an hour west of Port Townsend. We were up there in November and went by Fort Worden when we were spending the day in PT. Didn’t realize this was filmed there until my FIL told me.

• Hook 'Em 1

We spent a week in Sequim as a home base for exploring ONP and the San Juan islands. Great little town that will probably make our short list for retirement destinations depending upon how it develops over the next 10-12 years.

We drove into Port Townsend to take an orca viewing tour (we'd done the same from Sooke, BC on the other side of the Strait of Juan De Fuca about 10 years earlier) on the way to Friday Harbor. This was in early September and we were totally unaware that we were there when the huge wooden boat festival was taking place. Talk about a bonus surprise. Plus had some damn tasty beers at the Port Townsend Brewing Company which isn't too far from the paper mill that Paula and the gals worked at in the movie.

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Damn, that's about as spot on of a description as one could paint. She was supremely talented, but there are a lot of supremely talented actors who can still be professional and treat their colleagues with respect as equals. 

Este.

Reese Witherspoon is supposed to be quite demanding on set, but it’s almost always at her costars for being late and not knowing their lines. She views it as rude to the crew.  And she’s been working non stop and printing money (still fine as hell).   

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Didn't realize that Debrah Winger ended up marrying a favorite character actor of mine with some ties to Texas, Arliss Howard

Mrs Mo and I are really close to his parents. Matter of fact we were just on a call with them tonight. We stayed at their house once, and I slept in the same bed that she slept in. CSB

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Lobo said:

"no, Axle."

"Akmail."

"Axe---ULL."

I never realized this was the same person. She would be a good post on the this is not the same actress thread. 

That actually is a CSB.  I guess I have to ask how you came to be close friends with a couple who has to be 90 years old by now?  

Story gets creepy with you sniffing Debra Winger's bed linens...but I do wanna hear the rest.  Always liked that guy.  It's killing me the bald, mustached Texas guy who's been in 500 movies/shows that introduced us once.  He was friends with Robert Knott (actor and screenwriter of Ed Harris' "Appaloosa") and one of our old Asst. AD's at UT---Butch.  Shit, we all went to the Texas Tech game years ago (2013 I wanna say).  Tall guy, built like a brick shithouse.  Anyway, introduced us to Arliss sometime later that year or the next year at a movie deal in Austin along with Giancarlo Esposito.  Fuck, I can't remember the main guy's name.  Looks just like John Carroll Lynch from Fargo and The Americans.  You probably know him better than I do    /csb 

10 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Mrs Mo and I are really close to his parents. Matter of fact we were just on a call with them tonight. We stayed at their house once, and I slept in the same bed that she slept in. CSB

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That actually is a CSB.  I guess I have to ask how you came to be close friends with a couple who has to be 90 years old by now?  

Story gets creepy with you sniffing Debra Winger's bed linens...but I do wanna hear the rest.  Always liked that guy.  It's killing me the bald, mustached Texas guy who's been in 500 movies/shows that introduced us once.  He was friends with Robert Knott (actor and screenwriter of Ed Harris' "Appaloosa") and one of our old Asst. AD's at UT---Butch.  Shit, we all went to the Texas Tech game years ago (2013 I wanna say).  Tall guy, built like a brick shithouse.  Anyway, introduced us to Arliss sometime later that year or the next year at a movie deal in Austin along with Giancarlo Esposito.  Fuck, I can't remember the main guy's name.  Looks just like John Carroll Lynch from Fargo and The Americans.  You probably know him better than I do    /csb 

I've actually never met Arliss. We know his parents from church. Up until about 6 years ago, when finances resulted in layoffs, I worked for our church supporting volunteer leaders and pastors in the US and around the world. His dad was the world church historian, and his mom worked writing materials and such. I took a religious history class from him when I was getting a masters in religion. They were mentors for several couples back when we were all younger. Some of us still do a zoom call every Tuesday evening to stay connected, even though we've all moved on and live all over the country. They often join us, and did tonight. They are both indeed in their 90s and declining rapidly, but we still love when they join us. They live less than 5 minutes from us and we occasionally help them run errands, or drive them places if needed. 

10 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I've actually never met Arliss. We know his parents from church. Up until about 6 years ago, when finances resulted in layoffs, I worked for our church supporting volunteer leaders and pastors in the US and around the world. His dad was the world church historian, and his mom worked writing materials and such. I took a religious history class from him when I was getting a masters in religion. They were mentors for several couples back when we were all younger. Some of us still do a zoom call every Tuesday evening to stay connected, even though we've all moved on and live all over the country. They often join us, and did tonight. They are both indeed in their 90s and declining rapidly, but we still love when they join us. They live less than 5 minutes from us and we occasionally help them run errands, or drive them places if needed. 

I thought you were gonna tell us you slipped your tube steak into their daughter.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

That's awesome.  Cool of you to keep an eye on 'em and keep them connected.  I've loved their son's work for decades, had no idea he was married to Winger.  I don't know anything about Hollywood romances---my SIL laughed at me because I said something about Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner being married still.  I dunno.  

Your post finally triggered my shitty memory.  Rex Linn is the other character actor I was thinking about.  He's not nearly as well known as Arliss Howard.  Rex has been on "better call Saul" for the last few seasons (how he knows Giancarlo Esposito).  Anyway, I met him through Butch Worley (old AD at Texas) and Robert Knott.  And apparently Rex knows Arliss pretty well.  Met him the following year just by himself at a TV conference in Austin.  Still looked like the Full Metal Jacket dude to me (obviously I didn't say that)...but looks great for his age.  Hope his parents are doing well, cool connection.  

Out of the clear blue sky, days ago before this thread...I got an itching to rewatch some episodes of "Rubicon."  Very short-lived series on AMC.  Incredibly smart writing/plotline and dark as shit.  Arliss is absolutely perfect in it.  It was way too deep and dark for even an AMC audience.  The lead wasn't terribly interesting IMHO.  but Arliss, Christopher Evan Welch (RIP), Dallas Roberts (from Houston), and the rest of the cast were just fucking phenomenal.  It was like watching truly great theater on the screen.  Give it a watch when you're bored.  /rant

Back to the movie.  I'd like to think that Della Serra just retired from Navy SEALS/JSOC command.  Perryman made Asst. Secretary of the Navy.  Seeger retired as a Read Admiral.  Mayo's whereabouts are unknown.  And the man behind the voice behind the instructions in the Altitude Chamber wandered away from the Navy and met a guy named Christopher Guest and co-starred in all his movies.  

6 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

She was replaced by Kathleen Turner in Peggy Sue Got Married due to an injury that happened before shooting began. And she was cast to star as Dottie in A League of Their Own, but was either fired or left the production because she refused to work with Madonna (apparently gave the producers an "it's me or her" ultimatum). It's hard to imagine her doing any better than Geena Davis in that roll, and Davis definitely edges her in the looks department.

*role

And, interesting stuff.  Especially when you combine that with the fact that the role of Kit, the younger sister, was originally cast to Moira Kelly.  She had to drop due to an injury during the filming of The Cutting Edge and Lori Petty was cast in her place.

*role

And, interesting stuff.  Especially when you combine that with the fact that the role of Kit, the younger sister, was originally cast to Moira Kelly.  She had to drop due to an injury during the filming of The Cutting Edge and Lori Petty was cast in her place.

Might of had some script changes regarding looks. 90’s Davis > Winger / Kelly > Petty

Great movie. Captures a glimpse of what it's like in a dedicated military town.  Some things are great, some things are predatory.
Thought LG,Jr did a fantastic job.

We went to visit my buddy back in 2000 when he graduated from flight school in Pensacola and he had a girl out there that was obsessed with him, wanting to marry a pilot. One night the entire group of us took him out to a bar to celebrate and starting singing that song at the top of our lungs, knowing she was about to get the AOAAG treatment. It went over her head but was hilarious at the time. Unfortunately a few months after he moved back to Texas she offed herself. We never knew if it was over him or not, but it’s not something we talk about much.

Another random note regarding AOAAG - The Office episode where Dwight goes to work at Staples and Michael goes to get him at the end, that song is on playing in the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 hours ago, wutang75 said:

We went to visit my buddy back in 2000 when he graduated from flight school in Pensacola and he had a girl out there that was obsessed with him, wanting to marry a pilot. One night the entire group of us took him out to a bar to celebrate and starting singing that song at the top of our lungs, knowing she was about to get the AOAAG treatment. It went over her head but was hilarious at the time. Unfortunately a few months after he moved back to Texas she offed herself. We never knew if it was over him or not, but it’s not something we talk about much.

Another random note regarding AOAAG - The Office episode where Dwight goes to work at Staples and Michael goes to get him at the end, that song is on playing in the store.

Britney Spears GIF

On 1/18/2022 at 7:07 PM, Mo Horn said:

Private Cowboy! I didn’t place him as John Henry in Moneyball. Should have with that voice. 

On 1/19/2022 at 12:18 PM, wutang75 said:

Sounds like your buddy may have been an asshole

My bad, I made a typo and an ethnic slur.  I don't care for France.  But French people are, on the whole, good folks.  Victor French was also a damn fine actor. 

Think about all the ethnicities and nationalities represented in the Officer Candidate School in that movie.  French, Polish, English, Scots, German, Black, Hispanic, etc., etc., etc.  But guess what?  No Italians.  Because the U.S. Navy still knows what the fuck they're doing.  

Edited by Lobo

• 2 weeks later...

Urban Cowboy is a great film. Period. If Travolta’s accent was laughably bad, it’s a very different movie. A good bad movie like Roadhouse. 

I’m watching Terms of Endearment right now. My wife has somehow never seen it. Yet another jewel in Queen Winger’s crown. She had a very nice run in the 80’s. 

13 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m watching Terms of Endearment right now. My wife has somehow never seen it. Yet another jewel in Queen Winger’s crown. She had a very nice run in the 80’s. 

Always reminds me of

spacer.png

Edited by retread
  • Hook 'Em 1