Marvel's Moon Knight on Disney+

mdmost

From basically their inception, Marvel comics have always tackled social issues, many times lonnnngggggg before it was popular to do so. From social injustice, to homosexuality, to discrimination, to dealing with pain/loss/failure, to dealing with mental health issues, etc, it's in their DNA to craft complex stories lines around them.

It dealt with Thor experiencing failure and guilt going into depression and gaining weight. It dealt with the pain of loss and what people sometimes do to try to not deal with it, WandaVision. It dealt with hubris and humility with Iron Man. It dealt with conviction of faith in doing right with Captain America in Civil War. This story line gets even more adult with mental health and what can cause it. I applaud Marvel MCU for continuing what Marvel Comics, what Stan Lee, what Jack Kirby started.

The acting was incredible. The story line isn't popular, but it shouldn't shock anyone.

I was left wanting after the Ep 4. Ep 5 hit it out of the park. Great way to explain his origins and his issues.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

things that make you go hmmmmm. from reddit.

Spoiler

sp00ky_2000

From the first episode when Steven was talking to a little Girl in the museum:

S: They'd take this big metal hook, right? And they go up the old nozzle and All the organs would come out. Except for the heart.

G: How come?

S: Because they believed you needed your heart to be judged in the Underworld and only the worthiest would be allowed to pass through the Field of Reeds.

G: And did it suck for you? Getting rejected from the Field of Reeds?

S: That doesn't make sense 'cause I'm not dead, am I?...

Who is this girl, how does she know he would end up in the Field of Reeds, and most importantly how does she know he would be rejected?!

yuvi3000

Steven sees Arthur Harrow on the bus on the way to work. "Doctor" Harrow says he took the bus to work.

Gods are missing from the Ennead poster at the museum. We find out later that the same missing Gods are each sealed away in an ushabti.

Donna asks Steven to move the plush toys of Tawaret. Steven and Marc meet Tawaret in the Underworld.

The little girl asks him about the Field of Reeds and comments about his rejection and his death. Steven dies after they get rejected and then Marc ends up in the Field of Reeds.

Seems like a lot of coincidences.

• Drool 1

21 hours ago, Vegas64 said:

Not sure what sort of audience or following this has gotten because it's confusing and a minor Marvel property,

Anecdotal, but the half-dozen or so friends I know who have watched it (some at my nudging) all seem to really like it, even though only 2 are serious MCU fans.

The kids seem to like it, and the moms do as well (of course I'm sure they liked Dune for its space opera and not Oscar Isaac).

On 4/27/2022 at 8:45 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Better be a 3-hour season finale next week.

On 4/27/2022 at 10:05 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I really liked Episode 5… but the finale is going to have to be at least 90 minutes, right?

Buzz is that the finale is only 45 minutes - the shortest finale so far for a live action Marvel series.   

Remember that this is the first D+ series that is introducing a new character to the MCU (other than What If? but that was variants of characters we already knew). 

They're giving us his backstory and introducing the character at the same time. This won't be the last we see of Moon Knight. 

5 hours ago, RexWilson said:

Entertaining, but confusing.

Agree on confusing; not sure I agree on the entertaining part. Especially the second half of the series. Felt herky jerky at best. Didn't love the Ethan Hawke character and casting. The end credit screen went a bit of the way to helping to understand the mystery 3rd party.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So does moon knight have a role in any of these upcoming movies? 

Based on the series I just saw. I hope not.

But seriously, I doubt Moon Knight the character has the popularity and interest as I can't imagine a lot of people stayed with this the entire 6 episodes it was so herky jerky and confusing but not in a smart and good way confusing.

And the Egyptian Gods and the Egyptian God angle was lame.

Edited by Vegas64