Marvel's Moon Knight on Disney+

mdmost

Right...so...this was my understanding until the scene in the closing credits solely based on previous Marvel movies and almost zero comic book background (also no YouTube explainers):

Spoiler

Fundamentally, the whole Marvel universe is a sci-fi one, correct? All the superpowers are the results of personalities tapping into special energy sources (infinity stones), species evolution, and advanced technology. In essence, these are sagas that have played out through advanced beings over the eons throughout the multiverse that occasionally involve Earth. 

If those assumptions are correct, then I have to view these Egyptian "gods" as either advanced beings who are native to Earth or who are visitors that decided to stay here and were happy to be seen as "gods" by mere mortals from 5000 years ago and kind of ran with the mythology around them (sort of like the Ilium/Olympos book series). Only thing, these guys are interdimensional ones that can only really interact with the physical "reality" that humans perceive through inhabiting an avatar (i.e., Marc/Steve) through the use of the infinity stone-like purple power that shoots beams and does other cool shit.

Then came the last scene where crazy Harrow is kilt by Marc/Steven's 3rd personality in the back of the limo with the Specter license plate. So, they're in cahoots with Khonshu to take over and Ammit was actually "good"?

Edited by bolverk

Spoiler

So Jake is the murderous bad ass , third personality. I should have guessed from my brief comic research. But, correct me if I’m wrong here, in the comics Jake is more of a conman/spy/detective that Marc and Stephen use to collect information, not murder people. 

I feel a little shortchanged after the finale. They could have shown us Jake wrecking fools through Layla’s eyes or something cool. We needed to see it once. The first 5 episodes were building towards it. 

45 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:
  Hide contents

So Jake is the murderous bad ass , third personality. I should have guessed from my brief comic research. But, correct me if I’m wrong here, in the comics Jake is more of a conman/spy/detective that Marc and Stephen use to collect information, not murder people. 

I feel a little shortchanged after the finale. They could have shown us Jake wrecking fools through Layla’s eyes or something cool. We needed to see it once. The first 5 episodes were building towards it. 

Spoiler

Wasn’t he the one that did all the murdery stuff throughout the show? In the beginning we assumed it was Mark in the small town. Then again Steven woke up and blamed Mark for killing the kid in Egypt? Or was it the other way around? Either way both denied it. Then we finally see Mark wake up after ass was kicked in end. He didn’t know who did it. Neither did Steven. But yes, it would have been cool to seen some of it. 

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Right...so...this was my understanding until the scene in the closing credits solely based on previous Marvel movies and almost zero comic book background (also no YouTube explainers):

Hide contents

Fundamentally, the whole Marvel universe is a sci-fi one, correct? All the superpowers are the results of personalities tapping into special energy sources (infinity stones), species evolution, and advanced technology. In essence, these are sagas that have played out through advanced beings over the eons throughout the multiverse that occasionally involve Earth. 

If those assumptions are correct, then I have to view these Egyptian "gods" as either advanced beings who are native to Earth or who are visitors that decided to stay here and were happy to be seen as "gods" by mere mortals from 5000 years ago and kind of ran with the mythology around them (sort of like the Ilium/Olympos book series). Only thing, these guys are interdimensional ones that can only really interact with the physical "reality" that humans perceive through inhabiting an avatar (i.e., Marc/Steve) through the use of the infinity stone-like purple power that shoots beams and does other cool shit.

Then came the last scene where crazy Harrow is kilt by Marc/Steven's 3rd personality in the back of the limo with the Specter license plate. So, they're in cahoots with Khonshu to take over and Ammit was actually "good"?

Spoiler

Ammit was not good, and neither was her avatar Harrow. The last scene was about Khonshu completing his goal on killing Harrow. Khonshu promised Make and Steven he would release them if they helped. They did, and Khonsu kept his word and released them. Unbeknownst to Mark and Steven, there was a third personality named Jake. Khonshu never agreed to release Jake and used him to kill Harrow. I never read any comic books. I don’t know if Mark only has 3 personalities or a bunch more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Never knew much about MK as a kid when I was reading Marvel stuff. I did pick up a couple of graphic novels much later and enjoyed the demented Khonshu vengeance personality haunting/taunting Marc. It wasn't quite clear if it was all in his head or not as he didn't really have superpowers in the books I read. But it didn't delve into the split personalities too much. I believe in the original series run they had Marc as the main guy who created these fictious characters as covers for him to operate. Marc the mercenary and actual avatar of Khonshu. Steven as the millionaire playboy (because everyone needs to be like Batman). Jake as a random cabbie to get info from the streets. I think over time they tapped into the idea that he was suffering from an actual personality disorder. Which does make him more interesting than the pseudo Batman ripoff with an Egyptian deity super power angle.

Overall, I enjoyed the Disney show. A bit herky jerky in the second half and didn't realize it would be so involved in the Egyptian pantheon but Oscar Isaac's performance was terrific and I did enjoy some of the initial mystery and mindfuckery going on.

Like all of the Disney series so far, these appear to be more of setup shows that lay down origin/transition stories for characters that will be used in the next big movie phase. At least that's what I'm guessing as I try to stay away from spoilers.

• Hook 'Em 1

I really liked how weird this show was.  I was happy to go along with the weirdness counting on the promise that it would all wrap up in something that made sense.   Ep 6 did not do that for me.  Being that this is a limited series, it needed a lot more answers and a more definitive conclusion.  I wouldn’t be as disappointed if there was another season coming.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

I really liked how weird this show was.  I was happy to go along with the weirdness counting on the promise that it would all wrap up in something that made sense.   Ep 6 did not do that for me.  Being that this is a limited series, it needed a lot more answers and a more definitive conclusion.  I wouldn’t be as disappointed if there was another season coming.  

Exactly my sentiments.

Wandavision was weird. But it bubbled up to something that made sense and it ultimately fun and awesome and even moving in parts.

Egyptian Gods having as guys in suits as avatars and then having a skeleton bird and alligator fight while a hippo with twitching ears sails a boat on a sea of sand was too Pirates of the Caribbean Disney while the action and story was not enough Marvel. 

Anyways, good riddance, I guess. On to the next.

Edited by Vegas64

Overall, I enjoyed it.  It was different from (and required you to think a bit more than) the normal Marvel fare.  They definitely ended it on a note that leaves a door open for another season.

Spoiler

I was troubled by one seeming plot hole/contrivance.  We know that Marc Spector has multiple personalities.  We were introduced to Steven and Jake.  There could be others though we didn't really get any clues to that effect.  So, when Marc and Steven are on the ship in the Duat,  Taweret produces two hearts says they aren't in balance.  What about Jake et al?  Are all the other personalities in balance?  Hard to imagine Jake as imagined in this series (killing machine) would be in balance.  They didn't need Jake's heart part to help balance the whole?  Did Jake get stoned/swallowed by the Duat like Steven (heart not balanced)?  Or did he also go to the field of reeds like Marc?  Either way, how did he return to the mortal world with Marc/Steven if they didn't rescue him?  Did Marc have the power to pull all his secondary personalities back to the mortal world all by himself (making the whole scene where he rescues Steven rather unnecessary)?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I agree the ending was a bit vague and you really need to see the post credit scene to get the satisfaction of knowing where Marc/Steven end up. 

In short (I'll also put the Emergency Awesome vid in there too because it's REALLY spoilery):

Spoiler

tl;dw - the scene in the mental hospital is Jake taking over and becoming the dominant personality. The part where he wakes up in bed is a call back to the start of the show. Khonshu is now using Jake as his avatar and Jake appears more than willing to do the job. 

51 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I agree the ending was a bit vague and you really need to see the post credit scene to get the satisfaction of knowing where Marc/Steven end up. 

In short (I'll also put the Emergency Awesome vid in there too because it's REALLY spoilery):

Hide contents

tl;dw - the scene in the mental hospital is Jake taking over and becoming the dominant personality. The part where he wakes up in bed is a call back to the start of the show. Khonshu is now using Jake as his avatar and Jake appears more than willing to do the job. 

Spoiler

The scene in the hospital has nothing to do with Jake. It is both Marc and Stephen talking, essentially using the body as one.  Same when they both wake up after that scene. They both see what is going on, they are “in harmony” coexisting.  They switch back and forth talking to each other 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:
  Hide contents

The scene in the hospital has nothing to do with Jake. It is both Marc and Stephen talking, essentially using the body as one.  Same when they both wake up after that scene. They both see what is going on, they are “in harmony” coexisting.  They switch back and forth talking to each other 

Clarification:

Spoiler

I was talking about the scene in Mark/Steve/Jake's mind not the real psych ward. Sorry wasn't clear. 

Edited by The Dog

50 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

The very last psych ward scene is a real psych ward where Harrow is a patient and is kidnapped.  Jake murdered some peeps on the way to grabbing Harrow and Harrow sees their bodies on the floor.  Agree it has nothing to do with Marc/Steve.  It's not in the spirit world/mind like earlier scenes.

I watched a couple of wrap-up videos on YouTube and came away feeling a bit better about the finale. 

Spoiler

I was not a big fan of the giant crocodile vs bird skeleton fight, but whatevs.  The part that confused me most was the shift from the mental hospital as “organizing principle” in Marc’s head to the real-world mental hospital in the post-credits scene.  Once I made that realization, I felt that the conclusion was much better.   I don’t really like that they waited until the post-credit scene to wrap it up, but at least they did it.

21 hours ago, crash_davis said:

why didn't the other avatars have special fighting powers. osiris is the alpha god and he easily got his ass kicked. all avatars combined couldn't defeat harrow/ammit?

Maybe they did.  When Harrow entered the room, he warned them that they were bureaucrats and not warriors (or something to that effect).  Maybe their gods weren't all that interested/invested in Earth and didn't bother to train/teach their avatars in the use of any powers because they either didn't care or didn't want them interfering in human affairs.

If those assumptions are correct, then I have to view these Egyptian "gods" as either advanced beings who are native to Earth or who are visitors that decided to stay here and were happy to be seen as "gods" by mere mortals from 5000 years ago and kind of ran with the mythology around them (sort of like the Ilium/Olympos book series). 

Spoiler

b3bb17f77b32590f490d6dd49e660d1ca474ce69

• Drool 1

Didn’t see it mentioned here yet, may be  is talked about in the spoiler videos-

Spoiler

anyone else notice at the end of the credits right before the post credit scene starts, there’s a third, Venomish moon knight costume face that appears right before it goes to Marc’s and Steven’s versions of moon knight?  Presumably how Jake looks in konshu’s gear.

Edited by Pato del Muerto

So, which personality is the one that goes with the physical body? Mark had a real (maybe) childhood and marriage. Stephen actually owned stuff and had a job, pets, and home. How do both coexist on different continents? Did Mark just take the body while Stephen slept and Konshu teleport him around the world killing for him? When did Mark bang his wife?

Overall I enjoyed the show even if it was confusing during certain times. I think if anything from this show ends up in the wider MCU it will probably be in Thor Love and Thunder. They are having other gods involved so could easily work in the Egyptian gods and Moon Knight. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished and am so confused. I’ll watch some YouTube recaps. There was obviously interaction with the real world but I can’t figure out which was the real world and what was just his own head. Seems that him in the psych ward was the real world but I guess not? Are there times where the outside world sees the Moon Knight in costume and in action? Feels like all of it is in his head. Hope the recaps help. I liked it in concept but the execution leaves more questions than answers.

On 4/29/2022 at 9:40 AM, The Dog said:

Remember that this is the first D+ series that is introducing a new character to the MCU (other than What If? but that was variants of characters we already knew). 

They're giving us his backstory and introducing the character at the same time. This won't be the last we see of Moon Knight. 

Didn't Hawkeye do the same thing with Hawkette? And Wandavision with Monica Rambeau/Photon? It seems like all of these shows are just repopulating the Avengers world so they can keep making those movies with cheaper actors.

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

Didn't Hawkeye do the same thing with Hawkette? And Wandavision with Monica Rambeau/Photon? It seems like all of these shows are just repopulating the Avengers world so they can keep making those movies with cheaper actors.

those were all supporting characters. this was the first one (that i recall) where the title character's entire backstory was covered. 

Do the recaps explain if the Moon Knight in costume and being a badass is something that is actually happening which outsiders can observe? The Avengers are physical characters that the outside world has observed fighting aliens and monsters but I couldn't figure out if Moon Knight was real, which is surely plausible in the MCU based on past supernatural stuff, or if it was just in his head, which I thought was the whole point. It was an interesting storyline that was enjoyable on its own but I'm still very confused where he fits in the MCU.

I'm glad Marvel is willing to take risks with their Disney+ shows. This one just didn't grab me. It started out strong and maybe I just didn't invest enough in it as we had to watch it much later than the rest of you. I also wasn't really into Moon Knight previously. 

And Ms. Marvel is next, not She Hulk. I'm sure this forum is going to love Ms. Marvel. 

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It seems like all of these shows are just repopulating the Avengers world so they can keep making those movies with cheaper actors. mean to keep MCU fans subscribing to D+ throughout the year.

Fixed.

I kid.  Some of them may seem like it, but others are setting up movies (Wandavision) or simply fleshing out characters that fans really liked, but that won't ever see their own feature film (Falcon/Winter Soldier, Hawkeye, Loki).

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

if the Moon Knight in costume and being a badass is something that is actually happening which outsiders can observe?

MK ripped the shit out of the egyptian collector and his security.  so, yes, outsiders can observe. 

11 hours ago, 'stache said:

Do the recaps explain if the Moon Knight in costume and being a badass is something that is actually happening which outsiders can observe?

Yes, people see Moon Knight and shoot him with real bullets too.  The story was presented from the perspective of both Marc and Steven at various times.  The blackout periods where complete badassery occurred were the result of another personality that neither Marc nor Steven were aware of taking control and wreaking havoc.

• 2 months later...