2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

Sooners at #1, Cowgirls at #3 and the Longhorns at #9. The top of the conference is so damn strong. It’s going to be fun watching the three teams battle all season long. You’re right Js, let’s fucking go! Cannot wait for the season to start! I’d missed that Miranda transferred to OSU until I read that article with the full Top 25 rankings. Wow!

Of the D1 preseason top 25, Texas plays:

#1 OU (April 14-16 in Austin)
#2 Alabama (March 4-5 in Tuscaloosa)
#3 Oklahoma State (April 22-24 in Stillwater)
#4 UCLA (Feb 19 in Clearwater, FL)
#6 FSU (Feb 18 in Clearwater, FL)
#14 Clemson (Feb 11 in Fort Myers, FL)
#17 LSU (March 18-19 (DH) in Austin)
#21 ASU (Feb 25 and 27 in Austin)
#22 Louisiana (March 16 (DH) in Austin)

18 games against the top 25 - 10 at home, 5 on the road and 3 neutral site. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, lonestarsooner said:

Sooners at #1, Cowgirls at #3 and the Longhorns at #9. The top of the conference is so damn strong. It’s going to be fun watching the three teams battle all season long. You’re right Js, let’s fucking go! Cannot wait for the season to start! I’d missed that Miranda transferred to OSU until I read that article with the full Top 25 rankings. Wow!

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

This team is pretty fucking loaded and is locked into the goal of OKC in May/June.   Let's fucking go. 

Season kicks off on February 11 against Clemson in Fort Meyers, FL.  

Thanks for starting this year's thread !

The season opening Ft Meyers tournament seems to be a tribute to Coach Singleton.   He was the hitting coach for the Twins minor league team and assistant softball coach at Fla SW St, both located in Ft Meyers.   And certainly helps with recruiting.

Per schedule,  we return to play McNeese on Wed and then back to Florida for the St Pete/Clearwater Elite.    Seems like they would just stay in Florida and play a midweek against a Florida school.   Pretty sure tutors travel with the team.

https://texassports.com/sports/softball/schedule

18 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

Thanks for the answer. I didnt know she had gotten her degree. Gonna be rowdy when she's in the circle. 

Yup. Wish those games were in Austin.  She quit on her team, but she did finish her degree remotely.  Better degree than one from Stillwater 

No surprises in the preseason poll -

Unanimous #1 for OU (36 points, 6/7 first place votes)
OSU #2 (31 points, 1 first place vote from Gasso)
Texas #3 (26 points)

Then a huge drop off to #4 Baylor (19), #5 Iowa State (18), #6 Tech (10) and #7 Kansas (7)

Edited by Js1

Texas is #8 in the preseason ESPN/USA Softball top 25.

#1 OU
#2 Bama
#3 UCLA
#4 OK State
#6 FSU
#14 Clemson
#15 LSU
#21 ASU
#23 Louisiana

Texas is #11 in the preseason Softball America Top 25

#1 OU
#2 Ok State
#3 Alabama
#4 UCLA
#5 FSU
#11 Texas
#14 Clemson
#16 LSU
#19 Louisiana
#21 ASU

Also Texas landed 5 players on the Softball America Preseason Top 100 National Rankings

#6 Janae Jefferson
#27 Shea O'Leary
#31 Hailey Dolcini
#73 Mary Iakopo
#94 Lauren Burke

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3

Oh I forgot that the Big 12 tournament shifted to a single-elimination tournament (instead of pool play) so all 7 teams will be in it this year.  No word on anything else pertaining to format, but #1 will probably get a bye

#1 BYE
#2 vs. #7
#3 vs. 6
#4 vs. 5

#1 vs. 4/5 winner
#2/7 winner vs. #3/6 winner

Winners meet for it all.  Probably not third place game anymore? 

4 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yep. Glad we’ll soon be leaving for a conference that takes softball more seriously. 13 of their 14 members field a team with Vanderbilt being the exception 

I have no idea how the schedule will work for SEC softball.  15 teams, probably will play 8 others for a 24 game conference seasons?  5 Permanent rivals (Texas would likely have OU, A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Mizzou?) and then 5 rotating opponents between the rest (Missouri, Ole Miss, Miss St, Auburn, Alabama, UGA, UF, USCe, Tenn, Kentucky).  

I hate unbalanced schedules.  Some years we would have Alabama (awesome games) and some years we'd have like, USCe (boring). 

Post-Texas and OU, the Big 12 will have 4 (!!) members who don't field softball - TCU, KSU, WV and Cincinnati.   That's so pathetic for a P5 conference.  OSU is going to own the shit out of that conference, at least until Glen Moore retires and Baylor hires someone new. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We are 4 days out from the season, yo.

Two games Friday  - #15/14 Clemson and FGCU
Two games Saturday - Boston College and FGCU
One game Sunday - Kent State

Texas only has 2 home games in its first 12 games (McNeese and UNT), as after McNeese, we head to Florida for the St Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational against two top 5 opponents and 2 teams receiving votes (#4 FSU, Auburn, #3 UCLA, RV UCF, RV Notre Dame) 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

We are 4 days out from the season, yo.

Two games Friday  - #15/14 Clemson and FGCU
Two games Saturday - Boston College and FGCU
One game Sunday - Kent State

Texas only has 2 home games in its first 12 games (McNeese and UNT), as after McNeese, we head to Florida for the St Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational against two top 5 opponents and 2 teams receiving votes (#4 FSU, Auburn, #3 UCLA, RV UCF, RV Notre Dame) 

What is your "best guess" on how MW will manage the pitching staff this weekend and early season ?

When will he "baptize" Simpson ?    🙂 

3 minutes ago, torre said:

What is your "best guess" on how MW will manage the pitching staff this weekend and early season ?

When will he "baptize" Simpson ?    🙂 

I don't think he needs to, honestly, baptize Simpson.

We have 2 co-aces with a lot of innings in college under their belts (O'Leary and Dolcini), another who has played 1.25 college seasons in Hulon and Czech has an entire year of collegiate ball on her resume.

• O'Leary - 307 collegiate innings
  • Dolcini - 549 collegiate innings
  • Czech - 73.2 collegiate innings
  • Hulon - 130 collegiate innings

1A/1B - O'Leary/Dolcini
2 - Czech
3 - Hulon
4 - Simpson

She may or may not surpass Hulon/Czech by the end of the year, but we do not have to throw her to the fire.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2000 softball game will be aired on ESPN or one of its TV platforms (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, LHN, SECN, ACCN).  I grabbed ours:

• McNeese @ Texas - Feb 16 on LHN
  • Texas vs. FSU - Feb 18 on ESPNU
  • Auburn vs. Texas - Feb 18 on LHN
  • Texas vs. UCLA - Feb 19 on ESPNU
  • UTSA @ Texas - Feb 24 on LHN
  • ASU @ Texas - Feb 25 on LHN
  • Texas vs. Texas State - Feb 26 on LHN
  • ASU @ Texas - Feb 27 on LHN
  • SHSU @ Texas - March 2 on LHN
  • Drake @ Texas - March 11 on LHN
  • Minnesota @ Texas - March 11 on LHN
  • Nicholls State @ Texas - March 12 on LHN
  • Minnesota @ Texas - March 12 on LHN
  • Drake @ Texas - March 13 on LHN
  • LSU @ Texas - March 18 on LHN
  • LSU @ Texas - March 19 on LHN (DH)
  • Lamar @ Texas - March 22 on LHN
  • Iowa State @ Texas - April 1-3 on LHN
  • OU @ Texas - April 14-16 on LHN
  • UH @ Texas - April 20 on LHN
  • Texas @ OSU - April 23 on ESPN2
  • Baylor @ Texas - May 7-8 on LHN

3 national broadcasts and the rest on LHN.  I'm sure ESPN+ will pick up some as well (the road game at Baylor, maybe the other 2 OSU games) 

Great interview with Mary Iakopo.   Lengthy, but well worth the read.  In-depth. (excerpts)

The Oklahoma State series is going to be a little weird this year with Miranda Elish now on that team. Your thoughts about facing off against a former teammate?

I think it all comes down to not making the game bigger than what it is. At the end of the day, there's no bad blood between Lauren, Miranda and I. (Elish, Burke and Iakopo all transferred in from Oregon before the 2019 season). Just to see her on another team, as long as she's happy, we're happy for her.

And it's a game. Obviously, we want to beat them, but not just because she saw a team, because they've handed us every L. I think we beat them once or twice in the four years that I've been here. I may be wrong. Oklahoma State is just one that you want to beat, just because they keep whooping your ass. It has nothing to do with Miranda, but more so to do with, like, I don't like to lose. At the end of the day, I'm just going to go out there and compete against whoever it is they throw.

Since you played with coach White at Oregon, how has that relationship evolved?

Over the years, I've definitely seen a change from Oregon to Texas. He was definitely comfortable in a sense to where his communication was there at Oregon, but he's developed a different coaching style at Texas to where he's not breathing down everyone's necks or demanding so many things out of you. He's allowing you to grow as a player, and I think my transition from Oregon to Texas, he's allowed for players like Lauren and I to really grow as people and also as players.

If we ever needed help, he's still there, but he's never gonna micromanage you. I think that's what I appreciate the most out of him. To hear some of my friends at other schools, there's other things that their coaches expect out of them and that's what they signed up for, but my parents raised a good enough kid to where I don't need to be micromanaged to be a good person, to be a good human, to be a good teammate. Coach White really allows for that.

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/softball/2022/02/10/texas-softball-mary-iakopo-back-one-final-season-big-hits/6680680001/

• Hook 'Em 5

Opening game against Clemson should be a test.    ACC Champions last year,  return all of their pitching staff which led NCAA with 1.50 era.  They beat FGCU today 11-0.

Note radio coverage on FM105.3 and FGCU games will be streamed on their YouTube channel.    Click link on Texas schedule.

https://texassports.com/sports/softball/schedule

Friday, February 11

4 p.m.              #15/14 Clemson vs. #10/8 TEXAS

6:30 p.m.         #10/8 TEXAS at FGCU

Saturday, February 12

4 p.m.              #10/8 TEXAS vs. Boston College

6:30 p.m.         #10/8 TEXAS at FGCU

Sunday, February 13

10:45 a.m.       Kent State vs. #10/8 TEXAS

Live Stats: Available for all games – links on the softball schedule at TexasSports.com:

Television: The only available broadcasts will be YouTube web streams of Texas' two match-ups against FGCU: 

Radio: Texas' games are scheduled for radio broadcast via web stream with Andrew Haynes on the call via this LINK. The Texas broadcast can also be heard locally on 105.3 FM as part of the Austin Radio Network supported by the flagship radio station of the Longhorns, 104.9 FM The Horn.

https://texassports.com/news/2022/2/10/no-10-8-softball-visits-the-fgcu-kickoff-classic.aspx

FGCU is coming off a 28-19 record in 2021 which included a 15-3 record in conference play en route to claiming the ASUN South Division. Seniors Reedy Davenport (St. John's, Fla./Bartram Trail HS), McKenna Batterton (Norco, Calif./Eleanor Roosevelt HS), and Emily Estroff (Coconut Creek, Fla./Coral Springs Charter HS/Villanova) are three key returners for the Eagles after all hitting over .300 in 2021. Davenport also shines in the field as she was the ASUN Defensive Player of the Year a season ago and was picked to repeat in this year's preseason vote

Clemson Tigers
The Tigers began their softball program in 2020 and have hit the ground running as they went 44-8 last year in their first full season and enter 2022 as the 15th-ranked team in the country.

Pitching was the strength for Clemson in 2021 as they were fifth in the country with a 1.50 ERA, led by All-American Valerie Cagle. Cagle had a 1.16 ERA and 267 strikeouts in 216.2 innings pitched last season while earning 28 wins in the circle. She was also one of Clemson's top hitters as well as she hit .404 with 17 home runs, 12 doubles, and 45 RBI.

This will be the first meeting between the two schools.

LIU Sharks
LIU is coming off a strong 25-7 season in 2021, advancing to the Northeast Conference championship game. In the preseason poll this season, the Sharks were picked second behind Saint Fra
ncis.
They return five All-NEC players from last season while also adding Alyssa O'Donnell, the 2021 NFCA National Pitcher of the Year while playing at Florida Southwestern.

The Eagles lead the all-time series, 13-4.

Boston College Eagles
The Eagles return to the field after a 13-32 season playing in the tough ACC. This weekend will be the first of two straight weekends that Boston College will be in Fort Myers as they will return for the FGCU Invitational.

Seniors Ellie Mataya and Susannah Anderson return to the Eagles after being named All-ACC in 2021. Mataya led BC in batting average (.373), at bats (153), runs (20), hits (57), doubles (9), triples (3), total bases (78), slugging percentage (.510), on-base percentage (.411) and stolen bases (12-for-12). In the circle, Anderson led the team in ERA (2.72), innings pitched (175.0), wins (9), appearances (30), games started (26), saves (1), complete games (19), shutouts (3) and strikeouts (107)

FGCU leads the all-time series 4-1.

Kent State Golden Flashes
Kent State is coming off a 27-26 season, which included a 23-16 record in the MAC, good enough for third place. The Golden Flashes were solid offensively last season as they finished in the top-75 in the country in batting average (.289) and hits (423).

Five players earned All-MAC honors a season ago with sophomore pitcher Jessica LeBeau and senior outfielder Brooklyn Whitt returning to the team in 2022.

https://fgcuathletics.com/news/2022/2/9/softball-ready-to-open-2022-season-with-fgcu-kickoff-classic.aspx

Edited by torre
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Elish was brought in as a relief pitcher today for OKST and gave up 2 runs in 1 inning, but OKST held on to win 5-2 against ASU. Perhaps it was nerves due to it being her first game in 2 years, or perhaps she's washed up. Stay tuned.

Kenny G said Elish won't be 100% for another month, I'm guessing it's fully knocking off rust and making sure she didn't lose her mechanics and shit after such a long time not playing  Plus the mental side of getting back into competition form after not having pitched competitively since March 2020. 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Don't think you're going to get to turn this thread into your OU softball dick suck fest! 😉

Gonna be a fun one in Austin when the Sooners visit, no doubt. 

Oh don’t worry about that. I know what board we’re on, lol. 🤣 

UT, OU and OSU should all be damn good this year. I’ll be disappointed if all three don’t make it to OKC. Going to be a hell of a ride this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1