RIP, Ron Franklin

shadow_operative2.0

That is a gut punch. Ron Franklin was the voice of college football for me, more so than Keith Jackson at the time. Jackson may have called the bigger games, but Franklin called "my" games. His son was a UT student when I was there furthering our claim to him. Non of this ESPN favoritism, we always had Ron Franklin on our side. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

He was a great man - a great man - and lived in Austin I believe until his death. Super good person, and the best announcer for CFB of my youth / early adulthood. I loved him. RIP, Sweetheart. 

There was just something about a Saturday night game on ESPN when the game was in Austin or Baton Rouge or wherever in Texas or the southeast that having Ron Franklin on the call made the game seem like a big game whether it actually was or not.   I don't think any of the ESPN guys since have added to the game in the way Ron Franklin did in my opinion.

RIP.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Franklin, Gottfried, and Adrian Karsten were a great team. They WERE Saturday night football. 

Amen, brother.  It's hard nowadays to find ANY announcing team that doesn't either infuriate or just flat drive me batshit crazy.  They were seamless and always on point.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, mrhorn said:

Ugh, what a kick to the nuts. Ron Franklin was college football. The absolute best and not even close. Rip

Keith Jackson may have had a more distinctive voice but Ron Franklin was the best and most professional play by play voice I ever heard. He was simply the best at it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Saturday night ESPN college football announcing peaked here, then along came Holly Rowe to take offense at being called “sweetheart” years before @Uncle Boobs would state his desire to munch her chubby clam. 

Wasn't Holly, it was Jeannine Edwards and he supposedly called her "sweet baby"

Spoiler

Before Friday's Chick Fil-A Bowl, Franklin said to Edwards, "Listen to me sweet baby, let me tell you something."

After Edwards told him not to address her like that, Franklin responded by saying, "OK, then listen to me a-hole."

Franklin apologized for his remarks on Monday and said he deserved to be pulled from the Fiesta Bowl.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

As usual, you’re wrong. Holly was first. 

On October 1, 2005, during a game between Notre Dame and Purdue that Franklin was calling, sideline reporter Holly Rowe praised Purdue defensive coordinator Brock Spack for using all three timeouts on defense despite trailing by four touchdowns late in the game. "If the coaches are giving up," Rowe added, "What does that say to the players?" Franklin responded, "Holly, it's not giving up. It's 49–21, sweetheart."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Par4 said:

That is a gut punch. Ron Franklin was the voice of college football for me, more so than Keith Jackson at the time. Jackson may have called the bigger games, but Franklin called "my" games. His son was a UT student when I was there furthering our claim to him. Non of this ESPN favoritism, we always had Ron Franklin on our side. 

Holler Emmy Awards GIF by Emmys

As a child growing up in the late 50's, it was always Kern Tips doing the Humble radio broadcast of the SWC games. Used to watch the SWC highlight films he narrated whenever it rained and we couldn't go outside for PE.  I never expected there to be another announcer who could put you at the stadium through his broadcast like Kern Tips, but Ron Franklin became that voice for me on the radio and television.  RIP to one of the true legends of broadcasting.

• Hook 'Em 6

6 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

He was in Houston for 20 years doing local network sports TV.  I remember him in the 80s

Ran across an old Bluebonnet Bowl telecast a few years ago and Franklin was the sideline reporter.  I don’t recall anyone bad mouthing his work on broadcasts, one of the best to do it.