Peacemaker - HBO Max

billfromlaketravis

I was on the fence, but the Peacemaker - Vigilante friendship roped me in. Freddie Storma as Vigilante kills. 

Judo Master is also pretty funny. Imagine Bowen Yang kicking people’s asses. 

It’s a little too James Gunn-ish at times, but it mostly works. I’d focus on the characters/dialogue, and not worry about the plot. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I don't know why you are trying to excuse it, this show slams and goes hard. 

Agreed. Adam McKay directs episode 4 and it’s of course the best episode thus far. 

Murn watching a comedy at home killed me. 

image.thumb.png.6b0ab6f8c219804da8a0599c0bb7ad55.png

Edited by billfromlaketravis

The soundtrack for this show is the John Cena of soundtracks.  It's absolutely horrible and awesome and hilarious all at the same time.   Shazam some of the songs during the show.   With the occasional exception of a Faster Pussycat here and there, it's all barely known/unknown hair metal bands from the 2010s.

2 episodes in and so far my verdict is it's mildly amusing at best. The vast majority of jokes land with a thud and the pacing is off, like you're waiting something, anything to please happen.

Really surprising because I thought The Suicide Squad was hilariously entertaining. Maybe Gunn is stretched too thin because I know he has the chops to knock this out of the park.

I don't know if it's the writing or acting. Cena hammering away at that dick AIDS joke or whatever that was was painful. He can't play comedy. He's better off being a clueless straight man to someone with better comedy chops.

To me, the highlights are Gunn's blonde girl, Vigilante, and of course Eagly. I really hope it gets better.

Edited by ajax

42 minutes ago, ajax said:

2 episodes in and so far my verdict is it's mildly amusing at best. The vast majority of jokes land with a thud and the pacing is off, like you're waiting something, anything to please happen.

Really surprising because I thought The Suicide Squad was hilariously entertaining. Maybe Gunn is stretched too thin because I know he has the chops to knock this out of the park.

I don't know if it's the writing or acting. Cena hammering away at that dick AIDS joke or whatever that was was painful. He can't play comedy. He's better off being a clueless straight man to someone with better comedy chops.

To me, the highlights are Gunn's blonde girl, Vigilante, and of course Eagly. I really hope it gets better.

This won't age well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, ajax said:

Ep 3 was my fave so don't quit now. 

I was skeptical of this show. I didn’t like the back half of  Suicide Squad at all. Peacemaker seemed like a C List superhero who is probably evil. 

I think Gunn leaned hard into his comedic/ridiculous chops and it works because we’re here for the hang. Much like the first Guardians of the Galaxy. You want to spend time with this crew. 

Not sure where they’re going with the White Dragon stuff. I get it, they’re evil, but we need an arc in the last two episodes. 

Love the absurdness of the show. Stupid popcorn laughs and it’s great at that.

also I dig the blazing saddles style racist jokes where it’s all fair game as long as every group gets to throw a punch (Like the cop v white dragon). And the cutdowns of the redneck racists in prison were first rate. Everyone has done that scene so to do it right you gotta have some original funny ass dialogue for it. I thought it was hilarious and had to rewind it a couple times. Show is great at just being fun and not taking anything too serious.

csb…

I gave John Cena an Uber ride once.  Picked him at the Grande Colonial hotel in La Jolla and dropped him off at a nearby gym.

/csb

This show is great for what it is. Concur on the opening credit sequence and Harcourt’s exceptional level of hotness.  Definitely entertaining.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

csb…

I gave John Cena an Uber ride once.  Picked him at the Grande Colonial hotel in La Jolla and dropped him off at a nearby gym.

/csb

This show is great for what it is. Concur on the opening credit sequence and Harcourt’s exceptional level of hotness.  Definitely entertaining.  

Did you drive by him at first, have to slam on the brakes, reverse back to him and apologize because you couldn't see him?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

csb…

/csb

You gotta give us more than that. Did he tip well? Did you speak to him? 

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You gotta give us more than that. Did he tip well? Did you speak to him? 

No tip.  Didn’t talk to him because he did not give off the vibe that he wanted to talk.  There was a perfunctory “how’s it going” at the beginning of the ride and “have a good one” at the end.  He did sit in the front seat.  I will say that he looked a lot younger in person and he had a fake name on his account - Nathan- so I wasn’t 100% sure it was him at first.  Confirmed it was him later that day because he posted on Twitter from the gym where I dropped him off.  

Edited by Guadaloopy

This show is great at what it is. Like was already said, a little Blazing Saddles and a little Kick Ass. It hasn’t gotten old yet. Word is there is another suicide squad spin-off and not Harley Quinn. I doubt they can pull it off as well as they balance the absurd and seriousness and comedy like they have done here but I’m sure I’ll watch.

And the opening dance credits work every damn time. I had to buy that song just to add to a few playlists. Makes me smile.

On 2/8/2022 at 3:40 PM, Guadaloopy said:

will say that he looked a lot younger in person and he had a fake name on his account - Nathan- so I wasn’t 100% sure it was him at first.  

Shocked by this. Him being absolutely huge didn’t tip you off? Unless this was during the pandemic and you had masks, but still. He and the Rock have to be some of the most recognizable celebrities