2022 NBA Draft

Mitch Cumsteen

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Everyone (including me) gets excited by drafts but it's easy to forget the NBA draft in particular is almost all 19 year olds who aren't going to really peak for another 7-9 years.  Sure, you can tell in the first year or two if they can play but the upside is so far out, it's almost a crap shoot on who will be great and who will be good.

In baseball maybe?

Scottie Barnes helped elevate Toronto to a top 5 record in year one. Evan Mobley completely transformed Cleveland in his first year. 

Luka was immediately the best player on his team and took them to the playoffs in year 2. MVP candidate by year 3.

2 hours ago, fellside said:

In baseball maybe?

Scottie Barnes helped elevate Toronto to a top 5 record in year one. Evan Mobley completely transformed Cleveland in his first year. 

Luka was immediately the best player on his team and took them to the playoffs in year 2. MVP candidate by year 3.

That's what I'm saying.  Some of these guys can be good initially and top out and some have a longer path.  The great mystery is figuring who who is who.  I don't think anyone thinks that Barnes will be the best player from this past class in five years.  That's likely Cade, Mobley, or Green.  They just have bigger upside.  I could see Giddey being a borderline All-Star as well.  Still watching Kuminga, he could be an All Star out of the league, which is what people said last year.  

To the earlier example of Tatum, he's steadily improved every single year.  At the end of the day, you're interviewing 19 year olds.    

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I don't ask for much.

But please...just one time...some lottery luck for the Cavs.  We beg.  No franchise is more deserving...

Baseball team should not have dropped their long-time mascot... Cleveland is cursed !! 

OIP.kRPceyVlcYNIjCwXlOz-BAHaEV?w=271&h=1

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

If Im OKC I take Banchero and trade SGA plus picks for Ayton I think Giddey Banchero Ayton is a core that could do something in a few years especially with the depth theyre likely to have

SGA and picks for Ayton would be the worst trade ever.

They'll take Banchero or Smith and play them at the 4 with SGA and Giddey on the wings.  They'll keep Dort because he's good on defense.  That core is actually pretty good 2-4 years from now.  I could see them doing the same with Chet, too, but I'm still meh on him.  He doesn't have an NBA and may never have one.  Every now and then I get talked into him because he's 7'1" and can do it all but can he handle a season?  Can he gain weight?  If he could put on 20 lbs or so, he's basically Dirk.  Just a lot of risk there.

31 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

SGA and picks for Ayton would be the worst trade ever.

They'll take Banchero or Smith and play them at the 4 with SGA and Giddey on the wings.  They'll keep Dort because he's good on defense.  That core is actually pretty good 2-4 years from now.  I could see them doing the same with Chet, too, but I'm still meh on him.  He doesn't have an NBA and may never have one.  Every now and then I get talked into him because he's 7'1" and can do it all but can he handle a season?  Can he gain weight?  If he could put on 20 lbs or so, he's basically Dirk.  Just a lot of risk there.

I could see OKC taking Jabari or Chet at 2 and then a more long-term project with higher upside like Dieng or Daniels at 12.

I could see Okie City putting the most weight in the intangibles.  Very Spur-like in that they want someone who loves basketball and not much else.  If the dude likes to party, they'll pass because it's, well, it's Oklahoma City.  If they think Banchero likes the scene too much and doesn't like the grind (see F1 appearance), they'll rate him third behind the other two.  (From what I've read, both Chet and Jabari are hard workers.)

I could see Orlando taking Jabari even though they have a ton of other bigs because he's better than the ones they have.  Okie City then would take Chet because they're OK with long term and he could put on weight.  Houston would then take Banchero and they seem to be freaking out about that on the Houston thread.  He might be a great scorer but a poor fit with Sengun.

I still think Ivey and Sharpe might have the highest upside but no one in the top 3 is taking them.  Orlando should but they won't.  Okie City maybe, because they have credibility with the fan base but they have tons of guards already.  Houston, no.

If I was Orlando, I would gauge the interest of OKC moving up 1 pick for 2 and a future 1st. OKC has too many picks and needs to spend them. Orlando also needs lots of help for the future and needs to stockpile. Maybe then even look to trade down again. If they could get a couple of firsts and still get Ivey, I think they are huge winners.

Anthony
Suggs/Ivey
Wagner
Issac (lol)
Carter/Bamba*

Ivey to be has the highest floor and least chance of busting.

13 hours ago, cmontexas said:

If Im OKC I take Banchero and trade SGA plus picks for Ayton I think Giddey Banchero Ayton is a core that could do something in a few years especially with the depth theyre likely to have

wat

8 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Ivey to be has the highest floor and least chance of busting.

No, that's Jabari. He could play in the NBA right now as a 3&D four who's switchable on defense, and he's one of the youngest players in the draft

I think Texas fans love Ivey as a prospect in part due to what he did to Texas in the tournament, but he then followed that up with a terrible game that highlighted his warts

No, that's Jabari. He could play in the NBA right now as a 3&D four who's switchable on defense, and he's one of the youngest players in the draft
I think Texas fans love Ivey as a prospect in part due to what he did to Texas in the tournament, but he then followed that up with a terrible game that highlighted his warts

His comparable to me is Rashard Lewis. A good player, but a number 3 guy. Still good value, but I don’t think he will be some kind of superstar.

His 2pt pct was one of the lowest in the NCAA. Auburn had shit for playmakers, but still, he should be able to dominate inside the 3pt line as well.

15 hours ago, Fud said:

It's me. I'm Texas fans.

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Chet Holmgren is going to have a loooooot of haters if he actually acts like this all of the time:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CdtnibYAaJA/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

all he needed here was: "i hope in 10 years my name is said in the same breath as Lebron, KD, Giannis and Steph.  I am going to work my ass off to make sure that happens."

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Chet Holmgren is going to have a loooooot of haters if he actually acts like this all of the time:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CdtnibYAaJA/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

He's going to get the Shawn Bradley treatment. By that, I mean guys are going to line up to try to posterize him, not that he's going to get in an awful bike accident. That would be him getting the Jack McKinney treatment. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

His comparable to me is Rashard Lewis. A good player, but a number 3 guy. Still good value, but I don’t think he will be some kind of superstar.

His 2pt pct was one of the lowest in the NCAA. Auburn had shit for playmakers, but still, he should be able to dominate inside the 3pt line as well.

From all the reports he's an extremely hard worker and his defensive assets are phenomenal so even I'll admit that despite some of his failings I think he'll be more of an impact player than Rashard Lewis. At the very least he will be on the defensive end. A lot of my earlier points of criticism of him may just stem from him being a young guy who hasn't been coached to improve or develop other aspects of his game. Plus being such an elite shooter at that size it's easy to understand why he falls in love with his deep range at the expense of a more well rounded game. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

From all the reports he's an extremely hard worker and his defensive assets are phenomenal so even I'll admit that despite some of his failings I think he'll be more of an impact player than Rashard Lewis. At the very least he will be on the defensive end. A lot of my earlier points of criticism of him may just stem from him being a young guy who hasn't been coached to improve or develop other aspects of his game. Plus being such an elite shooter at that size it's easy to understand why he falls in love with his deep range at the expense of a more well rounded game. 

Some of the analysis I've read doesn't put too much stock in his interior creation.  Mostly because his coach is a moron, lack of spacing in college, the center was a giant statue, the guards were trash, and the coach was a moron.  

I've seen similar comments about Chet.  He played with Mimme, who could basically only play in the post so that meat Chet was on the perimeter.  

On 5/17/2022 at 7:06 PM, Message Board User said:

I don't ask for much.

But please...just one time...some lottery luck for the Cavs.  We beg.  No franchise is more deserving...

Havent the cavs won the lottery like 4-5 times, including the Lebron year.... I think they have had decent luck.

50 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The Okies evidently had a draft lottery watch party.  Great reaction, especially when the Pacers are called at 4 and then Houston at #3.  Would loved to have seen the pain and agony had they gotten #6 or something:

why is it that the people who film these things are always the last people who should be operating any kind of camera?