Texas vs Oklahoma State @ 1 pm on ESPN2

SDG

Just now, ztejas said:

Good win. I wish this team was bigger, more talented, more athletic and smarter but we'll roll with what we got. 

I wish they had a better plan on offense. But they don't. I hope Morris a) doesn't go G league, which is where he's rumored to be leaning b) can regularly put a defender on his hip off the dribble as a true freshman. I watched both TJ Ford and DJ Augustin extensively in high school and AAU. I have a much more limited exposure to Morris, and while he's a top notch prospect, I don't know what exactly we're getting as well as I did those two. I know he's really good, but can he be the trigger man at an elite level his first year? Hopefully we get to find out.

They are good on defense. They absolutely have to keep the turnovers low. Things start falling apart when they turn the ball over too much. Not just not getting shots, but giving up the points on the turnovers, too. 

They don't score inside. They don't rebound particularly well. They have no fast break. There just aren't any easy points, which makes every game a grind.

But if I was as miserable watching this team as some of you seem to be, I wouldn't watch. I enjoy watching our team. They do some things really well. It feels like the first year of something really special. So many of you just expect bad things to happen. 

• Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

We played well enough to score in the 70s. Bishop pissed down his leg for two easy dunks. Febres side irons open 3s. Ramey passes up open looks for shitty ones. We missed multiple looks inside that just have to be made. That should’ve been a blowout

Not to mention the 20 turnovers

(*2 TOs mentioned )

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

There are so many miserable Texas fans on these threads. You guys absolutely expect the worst possible outcome at every juncture. Practically cheer for it at times. 

My man, these fucking clowns have had 20 turnovers 2 of the last 3 games and about 15 in that 3rd game.

They suck shit through a straw at the current moment. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

We played well enough to score in the 70s. Bishop pissed down his leg for two easy dunks. Febres side irons open 3s. Ramey passes up open looks for shitty ones. We missed multiple looks inside that just have to be made. That should’ve been a blowout

Wait. You mean to tell me that if you make more shots you tend to score more points?!?!? You should be a coach or TV analyst!

(pssst the problem is they can’t make any shots)

1 minute ago, MotownHorn said:

My man, these fucking clowns have had 20 turnovers 2 of the last 3 games and about 15 in that 3rd game.

They suck shit through a straw at the current moment. 

Yeah, they’re irredeemable. Who has OSU beaten, anyway? 

It’s far from a perfect team. But there are some things they do well. They’re not going to make the Final Four, but there’s still plenty of things to like about them. You don’t even have to look that far unless you’re bound and determined to focus on what they do poorly. Which it feels like most of the more voluminous posters here would prefer to choose to do. 

I’ve never thought of myself as a pollyanna fan in my life, but you guys make me feel like the fucking Mary Poppins of Texas basketball. I see all kinds of good things happening with the program. Things I’ve waited all my life for. So many of you guys seem stuck in some kind of Groundhog Day of sports fan misery. Which…well, is understandable. It has been something like that. But it doesn’t have to be that way moving forward. And I don’t believe based on what I’ve seen from Chris Beard in the past and what I’ve seen from him so far that it’s going to be. I see a very bright future ahead, albeit one with a team on the offensive side that leaves something to be desired. 

• Hook 'Em 4

34 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Yeah, they’re irredeemable. Who has OSU beaten, anyway? 

It’s far from a perfect team. But there are some things they do well. They’re not going to make the Final Four, but there’s still plenty of things to like about them. You don’t even have to look that far unless you’re bound and determined to focus on what they do poorly. Which it feels like most of the more voluminous posters here would prefer to choose to do. 

I’ve never thought of myself as a pollyanna fan in my life, but you guys make me feel like the fucking Mary Poppins of Texas basketball. I see all kinds of good things happening with the program. Things I’ve waited all my life for. So many of you guys seem stuck in some kind of Groundhog Day of sports fan misery. Which…well, is understandable. It has been something like that. But it doesn’t have to be that way moving forward. And I don’t believe based on what I’ve seen from Chris Beard in the past and what I’ve seen from him so far that it’s going to be. I see a very bright future ahead, albeit one with a team on the offensive side that leaves something to be desired. 

see the thing is we aren't miserable.  you are one of those that reads way too much shit into posts that say we suck.  we suck kind of like last year.  to be honest, I'm laughing at how much we suck most of the time watching the game.  its a clown show, as bad as Shaka last year, on offense.  good news is we aren't bricking 25 3's a game because Beard won't let them take that many.

The D is pretty damn good(although they shit the bed against KSU).  I like Allen, Mitchell, Disu.  the rest of them are meh.  Carr is such a huge bust and then there is the AJ/Ramey magic show/disappearing act.  same act as last year.

maybe it will change next year with different players and some better offensive coaching.  

Edited by dcar00

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

see the thing is we aren't miserable.  you are one of those that reads way too much shit into posts that say we suck.  we suck kind of like last year.  to be honest, I'm laughing at how much we suck most of the time watching the game.  its a clown show, as bad as Shaka last year, on offense.  good news is we aren't bricking 25 3's a game because Beard won't let them take that many.

The D is pretty damn good(although they shit the bed against KSU).  I like Allen, Mitchell, Disu.  the rest of them are meh.  Carr is such a huge bust and then there is the AJ/Ramey magic show/disappearing act.  same act as last year.

maybe it will change next year with different players and some better offensive coaching.  

I’m just reading what’s written. When you say the team isn’t making the tournament, weirdly enough, I think you mean the team isn’t making the tournament. 

When people repeatedly write how the team is going to lose, shockingly, I feel like they think the team is going to lose. When people write as if they think the team has no chance at a victory when they’re down by two possessions, as strange as this may sound, I feel like they think there’s no chance at a win. When people say Chris Beard is yet another bust of a coaching hire and there’s something inherently wrong with the UT athletic department when it comes to football and men’s basketball, funny thing, I think they feel like Chris Beard is on his way to getting fired in a few years and Texas will have to start all over. Again.

But okay. I’m reading too much into it. It’s on me. 

But yeah, on the offensive side of the court they’re not winning any beauty pageants, that’s for sure. Not sure how much it’s going to get better. Sometimes people are who they are. It can get better for sure, but some of what we’re seeing on the offensive side of the floor is by design, as frustrating as that sounds. Otherwise we’d be seeing more improvement as the season goes on. 

I feel like we’re getting a good look at Beard’s formula already. Tough defense with players who can switch man to man. Efficient offense with low turnovers. Take plenty of charges. Be disruptive. I feel like future teams will have a better identity within the team, because this one is completely schizophrenic due to the nature of putting it together. Oh, and there will likely be a higher than average turnover from year to year. 

I’ll be interested to see if we eventually have any staff changes. I mean, surely we will,   But I’m interested in seeing what direction Beard goes with his staff in the future. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

I’m just reading what’s written. When you say the team isn’t making the tournament, weirdly enough, I think you mean the team isn’t making the tournament. 

When people repeatedly write how the team is going to lose, shockingly, I feel like they think the team is going to lose. When people write as if they think the team has no chance at a victory when they’re down by two possessions, as strange as this may sound, I feel like they think there’s no chance at a win. When people say Chris Beard is yet another bust of a coaching hire and there’s something inherently wrong with the UT athletic department when it comes to football and men’s basketball, funny thing, I think they feel like Chris Beard is on his way to getting fired in a few years and Texas will have to start all over. Again.

But okay. I’m reading too much into it. It’s on me. 

But yeah, on the offensive side of the court they’re not winning any beauty pageants, that’s for sure. Not sure how much it’s going to get better. Sometimes people are who they are. It can get better for sure, but some of what we’re seeing on the offensive side of the floor is by design, as frustrating as that sounds. Otherwise we’d be seeing more improvement as the season goes on. 

I feel like we’re getting a good look at Beard’s formula already. Tough defense with players who can switch man to man. Efficient offense with low turnovers. Take plenty of charges. Be disruptive. I feel like future teams will have a better identity within the team, because this one is completely schizophrenic due to the nature of putting it together. Oh, and there will likely be a higher than average turnover from year to year. 

I’ll be interested to see if we eventually have any staff changes. I mean, surely we will,   But I’m interested in seeing what direction Beard goes with his staff in the future. 

again, your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired.  you keep reading into the comments that we are miserable.  I am saying we suck and laugh at the ineptness on the team, which isn't really any better than last year.  we aren't making the tournament this year, Beard is sucking at coaching offense this year(he coaches D pretty damn well), our team sucks on offense this year.  

maybe it will change next year and maybe Beard will become a success here.  one can hope.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

again, your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired.  you keep reading into the comments that we are miserable.  I am saying we suck and laugh at the ineptness on the team, which isn't really any better than last year.  we aren't making the tournament this year, Beard is sucking at coaching offense this year(he coaches D pretty damn well), our team sucks on offense this year.  

maybe it will change next year and maybe Beard will become a success here.  one can hope.

Now it makes sense. You don't comprehend what you're watching.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Wait- you think we aren’t going to make the tournament?  
Wut?

hmmm. That’s certainly a take I guess. 

8 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Now it makes sense. You don't comprehend what you're watching.

On the court or off. It’s a different program. The results haven’t been everything we want, but there’s an amazing amount of good things happening. And I feel quite confident this team is making the tournament. It won’t be pretty necessarily, but they’ll get it done. It’s just that every game is going to be a grind. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Wait- you think we aren’t going to make the tournament?  
Wut?

hmmm. That’s certainly a take I guess. 

Stated it several times. No qualifications. No “I think”. Just flat out comes down from Mount Sinai with his proclamations. Should make things fun. 

Just now, SL Xpress said:

And boy do I sure miss him. Texas would be light years better this year if only he were at the helm. What in the world were we doing chasing him away, making him feel so underappreciated?

again with the reading comprehension.  I never said the dude shouldn't have been fired.  It was 3 years too late though.

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

again with the reading comprehension.  I never said the dude shouldn't have been fired.  It was 3 years too late though.

You’re the one bringing up last year’s team. What’s your point? If you don’t state it, it’s not my reading comprehension that’s the issue.  There’s nothing there to comprehend. Also, let’s be clear. He wasn’t fired. The man gave us a gift on multiple levels by finding a different job. 

Played better in 2nd half today.  A few signs of improvement in a few stretches.  Hopefully we improve offensively and starting hitting more shots.

Gain some confidence, protect the ball better, see our front court show more improvement and Texas is a NCAA Tournament Team this season... 🤘

29 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the team last year went 11-6 in the Big 12.

Cool. The team in 2001 went 10-6. Just as relevant to this squad and staff. My point was that your comments have been comprehended by me to come from someone that can turn on the TV, read a box score/standings, but really doesn't have a clue as to how it all works or what you're actually observing on your flickering screen. The proclamation of certainty that this team; currently #23, and 14-5 (4-3) in arguably the top conference in the country, will absolutely not make the tournament also exposes you as a laughable attention-whore. A clown show, if you will. It's not the opinion of a serious person and shouldn't be treated as such. But I get where you're coming from:

i'm with SLX. i can't even imagine being all pissy and miserable and upset all the time about this team, yet that's the tone around here. we knew YEARS ago that as long as Shaka was here that we would suffer, with no real hope of growth or success. no identity, no backbone, horrible shot selection, baffling offensive ineptitude- from its design to its execution- all while recruiting as well as Kansas and wasting more talent than any other coach in America. *That* was miserable. 

That clown was here for six years, and not only did we finally manage to get rid of him, but we were also able to hire THE no.1 coaching target on our list, and arguably in America. in his first 9 months on the job, Beard has assembled one of the best staffs in the country, signed the no.1 transfer class, and then signed a top 10 national recruiting class of HS recruits. not a bad start for a guy who was thrown right into the fire and left with an NAIA level roster.

so, how in the hell can so many of you be so goddamn negative here on such a regular basis? we got rid of the cancer and we signed our dream coach. that was less than a year ago. how in the hell can you be so upset? what is there to be so upset about? that the team isn't as good as ESPN and CBS said they would be back in August? that outweighs everything else that i just listed? come on man. 

look, i'm upset when i'm watching the games. the indecisiveness and the meek, awkward, hesitant style of play of offense is maddening. how many times can we pass up a wide open 15 footer; how many times can we pick up our dribble with no plan; how many 2-on-1's can end with us dribbling the ball back out and shooting some idiotic, late-clock three? of course these things are frustrating to watch, but god damn man. is that a reason to repeatedly:exclusively post whiny, negative, "Bears sucks", "this is just like Shaka" crap? uh, no. not for me.

we didn't give Beard a one year contract did we? or did i miss something? we are in the infancy of the Chris Beard era, and to this point is has absolutely gone better than we could have imagined in every area except for on-court results. yeah, ultimately it's the only court results that matter the most, but god damn; can we even try and enjoy all of the good that's happening in the program, or are just going to whine and bitch and complain 24/7 no matter what happens? shit is a beating. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

It's all surly game threads, not just basketball.

Whether dcar and friends are "miserable" is hard to project.

I find it more accurate to say they make anybody trying to enjoy sports in their viscinity miserable.

Edited by pacman

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm with SLX. i can't imagine being all pissy and miserable and upset all the time about this team, but that's the tone around here. we knew YEARS ago that as long as Shaka was here that we would suffer, with no real hope of growth or success. no identity, no backbone, horrible shot selection, baffling offensive ineptitude, from its design to its execution, all while recruiting like Kansas and wasting more talent than any other coach in America. That, my friends, was miserable. 

That clown was here for six years, and not only did we finally manage to get rid of him, but we were also able to hire THE no.1 coaching target on our list, and arguably in America. in 9 months he's assembled one of the best staffs in the country, signed the no.1 transfer class, and then signed a top 10 national recruiting class of HS recruits. 

how in the hell can so many of you be so goddamn negative here on such a regular basis? we got rid of the cancer and we signed our dream coach. that was less than a year ago. how in the fuck you be so upset? what is there to be upset about? that the team isn't as good as ESPN and CBS said they would be back in August? that outweighs everything else that i just listed? the fuck?

look, i'm upset when i'm watching the games. the indecisiveness and the meek, awkward, hesitant style of play of offense is maddening. how many times can we pass up a wide open 15 footer; how many times can we pick up our dribble with no plan; how many 2-on-1's can end with us dribbling the ball back out and shooting some idiotic, late-clock three? of course these things are frustrating to watch, but god damn man. is that a reason to repeatedly:exclusively post whiny, negative, "Bears sucks", "this is just like Shaka" crap? uh, no. not for me.

we didn't give Beard a one year contract did we? or did i miss something? we are in the infancy of the Chris Beard era, and to this point is has absolutely gone better than we could have imagined in every area except for on-court results. yeah, ultimately it's the only court results that matter the most, but god damn; can we even try and enjoy all of the good that's happening in the program, or are just going to whine and bitch and complain 24/7 no matter what happens? shit is a beating. 

This is exactly how I see it, but I’d like to add that this guy is the ideal guy for the off the court issues we have, too. 

He’s making Herculean efforts to get the students involved. There isn’t another coach in the country doing the stuff he’s doing. Abe Lemons coached an exciting brand of basketball and is one of the greatest wits to ever coach in any sport, but he would never have been bothered with engaging with the fan base like Beard. Penders had a bit of carny in him. When he came to Texas he would speak to any group who would have him trying to drum up excitement for the program. But he wasn’t capable of the kind of sustained organized onslaught to win over the students and fans that Beard is putting on.

Barnes did things behind the scenes, but he’s just not a rah rah guy. He had a different administration, and as much clout as he had, he didn’t have as much as Beard has with this one. He could never get Deloss and Co. to untie premium seating for season tickets from football donations. The best he could do fir the students was the seating behind the baskets and first come first serve there. Eventually he just kind of accepted the fact students would be treated as second class citizens, and that revenue came first, especially after he got the Cooley Pavilion, which really was a difference maker.

Now allegedly we’re going to have students 3/4s around the court. Season ticket holders have already been told they’ll have to give a separate donation for their basketball seating. We had the Gregory Gym game. The student party. The fireside chats. The various meets and greets. The celebrity fans. And he’s just so unrelentingly positive. Is he lying? Yeah, I think he’s full of shit. I have a rule that if someone has to tell me how much of a straight shooter they are over and over again, at some point you should realize they’re not actually a straight shooter. But I don’t care about unvarnished truth. I care about effectiveness. When he constantly shares his appreciation for the fans and how amazing they are, it’s exactly the right tone to take. 

This guy knows how to be effective in the ways he communicates to others. He knows how to attract people to him. He’s capable of identifying the qualities he wants to surround himself with to be successful. 

Okay, it’s not a juggernaut of a team. So what? The things they’re good at, they’re pretty damn good. I don’t understand why we can’t get excited to see how well they can do rather than trashing the team at every turn. I don’t blame people for getting frustrated. It can be a frustrating team to watch. But it’s a heck of a lot better than the Shaka show. I love watching our press conferences. Shaka made me vomit. 

I’m having fun following this team. Okay, I get not everyone feels the same way, but some of the unrelenting doom and gloom feels more like a reaction to collective fan trauma than an honest evaluation of what’s in front of us. I’m constantly having to figuratively look over both shoulders while reading this board thinking, “Am I crazy? How is everyone seeing a disaster when I’m not? Did I suddenly become an eternal optimist in my old age? Because if you ask me about Sarkisian and the football program, I don’t FEEL like an optimist.”

Anyway, you and I see eye to eye on this thing. Don’t know if that’s good or bad for either of us, but that’s how it is.  I guess it just means a lot of long interminable posts ahead for everyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don’t think this team will win the Big 12 Tournament. And I doubt they match last year’s conference record.  BUT… I don’t think there is any way they would lose to a team like ACU.  We won’t be able to truly judge this team until the season is over. The great defense going to come in handy if and when we make the tournament.

Now regarding the game today (and really the last couple), Andrew Jones is playing terrible basketball. He can’t hit anything and is turning the ball over at critical times. I would like all his minutes to go to Askew until he gets back on track.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

I don’t think this team will win the Big 12 Tournament. And I doubt they match last year’s conference record.  BUT… I don’t think there is any way they would lose to a team like ACU.  We won’t be able to truly judge this team until the season is over. The great defense going to come in handy if and when we make the tournament.

Now regarding the game today (and really the last couple), Andrew Jones is playing terrible basketball. He can’t hit anything and is turning the ball over at critical times. I would like all his minutes to go to Askew until he gets back on track.

His big failing in Beard’s eyes is his defense. He’s been called out several times by Beard. More than any other player, really. Scores 18 points “yeah, but then he gives them back on the other end.” 

He’s such a great story, and at his best he’s exactly what the team needs at guard. But it’s a complete nonstarter if you don’t play with intensity and passion on the defensive end. Beard just isn’t going to accept anything less. 

Compare that to Ramey, who when he struggles Beard is like, “there isn’t a plan B, so we’ll need to figure it out.”

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

This is exactly how I see it, but I’d like to add that this guy is the ideal guy for the off the court issues we have, too. 

He’s making Herculean efforts to get the students involved. There isn’t another coach in the country doing the stuff he’s doing. Abe Lemons coached an exciting brand of basketball and is one of the greatest wits to ever coach in any sport, but he would never have been bothered with engaging with the fan base like Beard. Penders had a bit of carny in him. When he came to Texas he would speak to any group who would have him trying to drum up excitement for the program. But he wasn’t capable of the kind of sustained organized onslaught to win over the students and fans that Beard is putting on.

Barnes did things behind the scenes, but he’s just not a rah rah guy. He had a different administration, and as much clout as he had, he didn’t have as much as Beard has with this one. He could never get Deloss and Co. to untie premium seating for season tickets from football donations. The best he could do fir the students was the seating behind the baskets and first come first serve there. Eventually he just kind of accepted the fact students would be treated as second class citizens, and that revenue came first, especially after he got the Cooley Pavilion, which really was a difference maker.

Now allegedly we’re going to have students 3/4s around the court. Season ticket holders have already been told they’ll have to give a separate donation for their basketball seating. We had the Gregory Gym game. The student party. The fireside chats. The various meets and greets. The celebrity fans. And he’s just so unrelentingly positive. Is he lying? Yeah, I think he’s full of shit. I have a rule that if someone has to tell me how much of a straight shooter they are over and over again, at some point you should realize they’re not actually a straight shooter. But I don’t care about unvarnished truth. I care about effectiveness. When he constantly shares his appreciation for the fans and how amazing they are, it’s exactly the right tone to take. 

This guy knows how to be effective in the ways he communicates to others. He knows how to attract people to him. He’s capable of identifying the qualities he wants to surround himself with to be successful. 

Okay, it’s not a juggernaut of a team. So what? The things they’re good at, they’re pretty damn good. I don’t understand why we can’t get excited to see how well they can do rather than trashing the team at every turn. I don’t blame people for getting frustrated. It can be a frustrating team to watch. But it’s a heck of a lot better than the Shaka show. I love watching our press conferences. Shaka made me vomit. 

I’m having fun following this team. Okay, I get not everyone feels the same way, but some of the unrelenting doom and gloom feels more like a reaction to collective fan trauma than an honest evaluation of what’s in front of us. I’m constantly having to figuratively look over both shoulders while reading this board thinking, “Am I crazy? How is everyone seeing a disaster when I’m not? Did I suddenly become an eternal optimist in my old age? Because if you ask me about Sarkisian and the football program, I don’t FEEL like an optimist.”

Anyway, you and I see eye to eye on this thing. Don’t know if that’s good or bad for either of us, but that’s how it is.  I guess it just means a lot of long interminable posts ahead for everyone else. 

agree with everything in here. great points about Beard's mission to engage with the student body, and beyond that, to actually go to bat for them with the administration. also, the last line of this post is hilarious, and true. 

4 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

You’re the one bringing up last year’s team. What’s your point? If you don’t state it, it’s not my reading comprehension that’s the issue.  There’s nothing there to comprehend. Also, let’s be clear. He wasn’t fired. The man gave us a gift on multiple levels by finding a different job. 

the man gave us zero gifts.  we gave him a lot of money to fail.

I said this team isn't really better than last years team.  that was my point and I stated it as such.  

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

agreed that Beard wouldn't lose to ACU.  I'm not sure what to do about Askew but I guess you need to play him even getting zero from him on offense.  He plays hard defensively and has a reasonable handle.  He's not very aggressive on the O end though.