Treatment of service workers

Wiler77

5 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

I've thought that many times.  They just introduce a chokepoint by making people order at the counter.  There has to be a reason they did it that way, though.  Maybe it's another level of complexity or cost to have the Alamo model?  Or worried they wouldn't have the waitstaff to handle ordering, running food, closing tabs, etc.

I talked to a Loro employee about why they don't have digital ordering and she said they need the chokepoint of ordering at the counter to slow things down or the kitchen would never be able to keep up.

• Hook 'Em 1

I bused tables and washed dishes after school/weekends/summers for 2 years at a Mexican restaurant.  It was a good experience for me.  Pay sucked but free enchiladas.  It wasn't until I worked there that I understood/appreciated that servers have to tip out the bartender and the bus boys outta their measly 15%.  People were mostly nice.  I still remember spilling an entire tray of waters on a woman's lap.  She laughed it off and the manager bought 'em a round of margaritas.  I think people tend not to be dicks to young kids (I was 13 & 14).  Because some of the older servers got shit on by customers a lot.  

csb/ two regulars there were legendary Chicago broadcaster Steve Dahl and newly inducted Baseball Hall of Famer-Minnie Minoso.  

On Christmas Day a family bought over $100 worth of tickets and food two days after Christmas. 

The tip? $2.00.

How much were the tickets and how much was the food?  $2 was probably low, but if a family of 5 went to a night movie, over half of that was on the tickets.

We're tipping on tickets now?

46 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I think that EVERYONE should spend at least some time in the service industry.  Sort of like I think everybody should go to some college.  Imply as the more exposure you have to your fellow man whose circumstances may be different than your own makes you a more well rounded and usually more compassionate person.

It always pisses me off when folks are just screwing over the waiter, waitress or bartender.  It's things you  likely would never notice if you had not been in the service industry.  Basically the problem I think with the service industry is that there is a certain segment of our society that simply wants to fuck people over.  And to me that's not only sad for the person receiving the abuse, but for the person dishing it out.  As their life must honestly suck.  As how hard is it to be nice.

Two things per your post...

1.  The ONLY time I'd ever be pissed at a waiter is if I just see them yapping or playing on their phone.  Couple of years ago, we went to our local Mexican joint.  New waitress spent most of our meal on her phone.  I still tipped her 20% because, in my mind, she could have been dealing with something important.  Keep in mind - when you were 16-20, a lot of stupid shit seemed pretty important.

2. Your point about everyone working service at some time...  I have an engineering friend from TN that is the nicest, most generous guy.  That being said, his current job as an engineer is his first.  He's very cringe when we go out... snapping his fingers, waving across the restaurant, hitting on the waitresses in a very awkward manner, etc... He would def benefit from your call.

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Two things per your post...

1.  The ONLY time I'd ever be pissed at a waiter is if I just see them yapping or playing on their phone.  Couple of years ago, we went to our local Mexican joint.  New waitress spent most of our meal on her phone.  I still tipped her 20% because, in my mind, she could have been dealing with something important.  Keep in mind - when you were 16-20, a lot of stupid shit seemed pretty important.

2. Your point about everyone working service at some time...  I have an engineering friend from TN that is the nicest, most generous guy.  That being said, his current job as an engineer is his first.  He's very cringe when we go out... snapping his fingers, waving across the restaurant, hitting on the waitresses in a very awkward manner, etc... He would def benefit from your call.

That shit in no. 2 is cringeworthy to say the least. It's really bad when you take someone to a place you frequent, and have gotten to know the staff, and they do any of that shit. The hitting on part is what really pisses me off. No that 20 something chick does not have a bit of fucking interest in your 50 year old, fat ass bud.

• Like 2

One of my former business partners was "that" guy when we went out to eat or have drinks.  He lived out in Lakeway and all his haunts out that way; but for a couple years, we shared an office downtown and I took him to a lot of my usual hangouts where I knew the staff and the staff knew me.  And almost without exception, he would hit on the waitresses and bartenders.  He was a generous tipper, but not enough to act like an asshole.  I still get the "where's your creepy friend this time?" question from a number of folks working downtown.  Don't be that guy, you'll end up the old dude at Twin Peaks hitting on girls 50 years younger than you---it's pathetic, demeaning, awkward, and just a dick move.  When female bartenders are smiling back at your creepy questions, they're not interested in you...they're just worried about making rent.  /rant

12 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

This article could also be posted in Cloak Room for a different conversation, but I decided to post it here.  Just another data point on why I will force all 3 of my sons to hold a job in the service industry.  Learn how to treat people as well as how to react when being mistreated.  Also, good to learn the lesson of "people generally suck" as early in life as possible.

I can think of a few good candidates I've met from my time coaching and volunteering at DSYSA that could be the culprits mentioned in the article.

perspective from Dripping Springs EVO bartender

To add more acid to the burn because most tips don’t come in cash, the company puts workers’ money on an ATM card after the split. There are two ways to access these funds. You can either pay a fee and have the company who runs the card transfer it to your bank account. Or, you can withdraw your money in cash from an ATM… after paying the host bank a fee.

Another reason to always carry cash and to use it when paying/tipping servers and bartenders. Carry enough different denominations that you don’t have to wait for change.

• Hook 'Em 2

Worked at a KFC and a convenience store during college, among my other jobs during that time.  The C-store wasn't that bad after I started working graveyard shifts, but after a year of that, I missed sleeping at normal hours.  Had some odd folks that came in overnight; but they were regulars.  We had a deli in there, and the stoners who had just got off of work at 12 am from whatever job they had would come in to get a sandwich.  They usually would hang out for an hour or two, play some video game we had,  buy their zig-zags and leave.  Had a few working girls that came in occasionally around 3 am.  Between 5 and 6, the police and firemen would roll in and get their coffee. Occasionally, some of my friends would stop by after they had been out doing whatever and I'd tell them to fix themselves a fountain drink.  All in all, it was pretty peaceful.  But that was in '85, and I'd imagine that things would be a bit more interesting in 2022.

KFC was the worst, simply because the manager was a cunt. But she was fair with the hours I wanted, and the majority of the staff went to college as well, so I was working with someone who had something in common with me most of the time.  I can only recall one time where a customer was bitching at me about something, and it was something I had nothing to do with, but she had a complaint, I was the closest person in uniform, so she just let it rip.  

I've never had a job that tips were given or expected. 

4 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Ive got strong feelings about this. My daughter is finishing her last semester at Mizzou, she has worked in bars her whole 4 years there, mainly to cover food and partying as I had tuition and housing covered. Her whole sorority worked there (Kappa) so it was also a place for them to bond and politic with other houses and frats.

When her mother found out she was going to be working at campus bar and grill (formerly and colloquially known as Big12) she was mortified and ashamed, how dare her daughter go from being Miss Tennessee to working in a bar like some. . .barfly!

I told her I was over the moon extatic, because it was going to give her the best education about human nature in quick order. She's graduating from the honors program in the J school Magna Cum Laude in May, and will be highly sought after in strategic communications circles like creative agencies, but her real education is knowing how to connect with people and stay away from train wrecks.

A new place she works at had whole fraternities come in for brunch and drink specials and under tip while staying all day watching football.

2 weekends ago when they arrived she met them on the sidewalk outside and told them to scram, that they were costing her and the staff money and weren't welcome anymore unless they started acting like adults and tipped 25% and everybody had to order an entre. She really bitched them up and down and her fellow waitresses actually clapped for her at closing.

They formally apologized for their shitty behavior, begged to be allowed their usual corner of the place, and tipped her $400 and have subsequently been better about tips. They've thanked her for being assertive. She's told them they're lucky that they didn't get blacklisted all over Greek town as cheapskates and fucktards.

Because her current bar is more adult oriented she's gotten to know loyal clientele in Mizzou administration, the football head coaching staff, and even SEC commissioners and executives. Shes interning with Fox Sports this year and mixes that work into conversations with AD staff and picks their brains about sports.

When I toast her on graduation night I'm going to thank Mizzou Journalism for the cutting edge strat comm education and thank Big12/The Quarry for helping her spot trouble and for giving her a finely tuned bullshit detector.

I've taken calls from her about how to deal with coworkers strung out on blow, ODing on Xanax, projectile vomiting drunks, all kinds of unsavory situations, and I'm happy as hell she learned a lot of street psychology and human behavior. Her rationale is "My dad is a clean and sober drunk, he's seen this before and will give no shit judgment free realistic advice."

She had an internship at HLK in St Louis last summer and was working with a creative team on a F100 company campaign (Kitchmaid? Bayer?) and when she saw the client wasn't being forthright she called her out on it, telling her "maybe you shouldn't waste your money on this engagement if you're not going to share accurate datasets which will maximize our work product" and the firm associate, whole account team, even the managing partner were shocked that she would challenge a client so directly. The client agreed with her and shared the data and complimented her for her directness. She could had easily been fired instead but told her team that the corporate world is nothing compared to managing a bar.

Other academically strong kids that has never had real world interactions were resigning from the internship, saying they couldn't take the pressure.

My mother is a wannabe stepford wife who always tells my daughter that she is too brash and outspoken and needs to temper her personality. I tell her no, don't change a thing, the world doesn't remember wallflowers, you get in there and make noise and ignore your grandmother, who spent most of her life in risk avoidance and fear.

Tl;dr service industry work gave my daughter big dick energy, shes going places.

Good for her to stand up to the cheap tippers , but 25% tips ?  Yeah no unless you’re going way the fuck above the call of duty.

I tip. 20% and cut waitstsfaff some slack even if the service isnt great especially during the COVID days  but 25%  ain’t  gonna happen at a local sports bar.

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I cooked cheesesteaks at Tex in the Drag my senior year at Texas.

Worked at Smoothie King in college as well.

Did the 1.5 week at Honey Baked Ham during Christmas break (they would litter the colleges with fliers).

Gives your post an entirely different interpretation, doesn’t it? Was it tough in heels?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Never once did service work but I did don a Santa hat, ring the bell and stand by the red can outside of malls and grocery stores  for the Salvation Army at Christmas time for several Christmas collection seasons. 

Some people are aholes and others are angels.  A few people I knew and hadn’t seen in a while thought I fell on hard times. 

Got paired up with Rob Mosbacher one time.  He definitely had better things to do but he like ringing the bell for the SA. He was a cool guy.  

I put all my crap back on the tray, don’t blow my nose in the restaurant’s cloth napkins, treat the servers with respect and I leave a good propina (sometimes I shouldn’t).

that’s all I got.  

16 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Never once did service work but I did don a Santa hat, ring the bell and stand by the red can outside of malls and grocery stores  for the Salvation Army at Christmas time for several Christmas collection seasons. 

Some people are aholes and others are angels.  A few people I knew and hadn’t seen in a while thought I fell on hard times. 

Got paired up with Rob Mosbacher one time.  He definitely had better things to do but he like ringing the bell for the SA. He was a cool guy.  

I put all my crap back on the tray, don’t blow my nose in the restaurant’s cloth napkins, treat the servers with respect and I leave a good propina (sometimes I shouldn’t).

that’s all I got.  

In some states you can get arrested for leaving propina……. Pervert !!!!!

Never have had a job for tips.

1) Treat people nice- they're just trying to make a living. Tip right and don't fuck em over.

2) I always figure you're getting special sauce or fucked up food/ drink if you're a douche, so why be that way?

3) #1 ain't hard

Edited by slorch

I worked retail through high school at a very busy paint store and it was a beating physically because we had to unload all the shipping containers.  The service side was a grind sometimes as well with people who can’t make up their mind, hate the color after they pick it, etc.  

Generally I’m fine with this guy’s feelings journal on everything other than the hard work side.  There’s no way that theater job is too physically demanding for most folks to handle.  But damn, if that theater doesn’t want to pay for great employees then they won’t get great employees.  Nothing has changed about that simple fact in the 26 years since my first retail job.   It was hard to find good people in the 90s and it’s hard now if you can’t understand the basic formula. 

9 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Ive got strong feelings about this. My daughter is finishing her last semester at Mizzou, she has worked in bars her whole 4 years there, mainly to cover food and partying as I had tuition and housing covered. Her whole sorority worked there (Kappa) so it was also a place for them to bond and politic with other houses and frats.

When her mother found out she was going to be working at campus bar and grill (formerly and colloquially known as Big12) she was mortified and ashamed, how dare her daughter go from being Miss Tennessee to working in a bar like some. . .barfly!

I told her I was over the moon extatic, because it was going to give her the best education about human nature in quick order. She's graduating from the honors program in the J school Magna Cum Laude in May, and will be highly sought after in strategic communications circles like creative agencies, but her real education is knowing how to connect with people and stay away from train wrecks.

A new place she works at had whole fraternities come in for brunch and drink specials and under tip while staying all day watching football.

2 weekends ago when they arrived she met them on the sidewalk outside and told them to scram, that they were costing her and the staff money and weren't welcome anymore unless they started acting like adults and tipped 25% and everybody had to order an entre. She really bitched them up and down and her fellow waitresses actually clapped for her at closing.

They formally apologized for their shitty behavior, begged to be allowed their usual corner of the place, and tipped her $400 and have subsequently been better about tips. They've thanked her for being assertive. She's told them they're lucky that they didn't get blacklisted all over Greek town as cheapskates and fucktards.

Because her current bar is more adult oriented she's gotten to know loyal clientele in Mizzou administration, the football head coaching staff, and even SEC commissioners and executives. Shes interning with Fox Sports this year and mixes that work into conversations with AD staff and picks their brains about sports.

When I toast her on graduation night I'm going to thank Mizzou Journalism for the cutting edge strat comm education and thank Big12/The Quarry for helping her spot trouble and for giving her a finely tuned bullshit detector.

I've taken calls from her about how to deal with coworkers strung out on blow, ODing on Xanax, projectile vomiting drunks, all kinds of unsavory situations, and I'm happy as hell she learned a lot of street psychology and human behavior. Her rationale is "My dad is a clean and sober drunk, he's seen this before and will give no shit judgment free realistic advice."

She had an internship at HLK in St Louis last summer and was working with a creative team on a F100 company campaign (Kitchmaid? Bayer?) and when she saw the client wasn't being forthright she called her out on it, telling her "maybe you shouldn't waste your money on this engagement if you're not going to share accurate datasets which will maximize our work product" and the firm associate, whole account team, even the managing partner were shocked that she would challenge a client so directly. The client agreed with her and shared the data and complimented her for her directness. She could had easily been fired instead but told her team that the corporate world is nothing compared to managing a bar.

Other academically strong kids that has never had real world interactions were resigning from the internship, saying they couldn't take the pressure.

My mother is a wannabe stepford wife who always tells my daughter that she is too brash and outspoken and needs to temper her personality. I tell her no, don't change a thing, the world doesn't remember wallflowers, you get in there and make noise and ignore your grandmother, who spent most of her life in risk avoidance and fear.

Tl;dr service industry work gave my daughter big dick energy, shes going places.

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Hold up.

https://www.misstennessee.org/former-miss-tennessees

• Haha 2

I'll be honest I am an old guty that tells filthy jokes and make suggestive comments all the time, that ARE FUNNY!  The poor old pathetic bastards who are making pointed suggestive remarks to bartenders or waitresses, are simply fucking assholes.  Assholes that simply never were very good at the pickup game, and generally did not kick ass in the single sexual game.  To me it is more of a continuation of a lifetime of sexual failure... generation after generation of women have been subjected to it.

I was grabbing a drink yesterday afternoon and the old timer next to me (even more old timer than me) told the gal cleaning wiping down the table behind us that she "would look bettter with a smile on your face."  I turned laughing and said something along the lines of, "You should have just slapped the shit out of him!" and that indeed did bring a big grin to her face.

Don't be the creepy leering old guy that thinks the cute waitress wants or needs your banter.  They don't.  I do give a lot of female and male service workers advice.  But they are asking me, not me endlessly giving them unwanted advice.  The service industry is a tough one, long term for family and relationship success.  Over time more often than not the hours and temptation lead to strained personal relationships.  Some folks can pull it off, but in general I would tell most any person working in the service industry to find some other job long term. Simply as they will be happier.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm a creature of habit so I have two or three places I go to regularly and am a known commodity and generally only for breakfast or lunch.

They know my order(s), they know my style, they know what I like and what I want and how much space to give me, and as a reward they get 50% tips. Sometimes 100% tips because what's an extra 20 bucks to me compared to what it means for them, relatively? 

Seriously as a thought exercise try this: What does having an extra $20 bill mean to you, in your day to day life.

Now think of someone who has to work tables for a living or work in a restaurant. What does an extra $20 bill mean to them?

That is how I try to think of tipping, as a response to service with more than a hint of charity.

Edited by TurkeyChew
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Waiter for ten years.  The after work go out was the best times.  Sometimes we were our own worst enemies.  

Ya think? I've had all kinds of jobs. I can say that the waiting tables/bartending segment of the workforce is one of the biggest groups of degenerates out there. All of this nonsense about how they're so hard done to and such honorable folk is fucking laughable. 

I bussed tables, waited tables, tended bar, sacked groceries, on and on. I'm still in a B2C service business and role. There is no "all people suck" premise if anyone who has done it is being honest. It's the usual mixed bag of the population. Most folks are okay, and then you have the outlier trash that everyone remembers until their dying day. 

My favorite job I've ever had was as a waiter at Pappasito's in Austin while paying my way through school. Great people, good money, stress-free coming and going while not on the clock. Nonetheless, I learned a ton across the span of the service jobs but enjoyed that one the most. Also, tons of UT and Texas State ass working alongside you and partying afterward. 

Nowadays, I get the occasional death threat with details about my (perceived) home address and family through my official company Twitter handle whenever the occasional psychopathic SJW loses it after being disconnected for non-payment. Some people do suck, but you don't actually see the worst of humanity as a busboy or waiter. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Ya think? I've had all kinds of jobs. I can say that the waiting tables/bartending segment of the workforce is one of the biggest groups of degenerates out there. All of this nonsense about how they're so hard done to and such honorable folk is fucking laughable. 

I bussed tables, waited tables, tended bar, sacked groceries, on and on. I'm still in a B2C service business and role. There is no "all people suck" premise if anyone who has done it is being honest. It's the usual mixed bag of the population. Most folks are okay, and then you have the outlier trash that everyone remembers until their dying day. 

My favorite job I've ever had was as a waiter at Pappasito's in Austin while paying my way through school. Great people, good money, stress-free coming and going while not on the clock. Nonetheless, I learned a ton across the span of the service jobs but enjoyed that one the most. Also, tons of UT and Texas State ass working alongside you and partying afterward. 

Nowadays, I get the occasional death threat with details about my (perceived) home address and family through my official company Twitter handle whenever the occasional psychopathic SJW loses it after being disconnected for non-payment. Some people do suck, but you don't actually see the worst of humanity as a busboy or waiter. 

It can be a god awful gig, but from what I've noticed, the modern service people know how to work the system, especially during Covid times.  Servers would make 200.00, spend 100.00 of it at the bar and party all night and then call in the next morning.  So as you agree, alot of their issues are self inflicted.

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

It can be a god awful gig, but from what I've noticed, the modern service people know how to work the system, especially during Covid times.  Servers would make 200.00, spend 100.00 of it at the bar and party all night and then call in the next morning.  So as you agree, alot of their issues are self inflicted.

It fits a lifestyle for some people. I think when you peel back the onion though, the party animal waiter has pretty limited options and is pretty apathetic about improving their station in life. And as they get older and age up in the restaurant business, it just gets harder and harder to start something new. 

Monty and Naomi in Waiting are pretty accurate depictions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A lot of people forget, or don't know, but Anthony Bourdain's first break was publishing an unsolicited short to The New Yorker, which was a sort of abstract or outline for his break-out "Kitchen Confidential". I went and re-read it shortly after he died and he mentioned a few things that you back of the house workers and waiters are saying about the personality of someone who chooses to work in the food service industry:

Gastronomy is the science of pain. Professional cooks belong to a secret society whose ancient rituals derive from the principles of stoicism in the face of humiliation, injury, fatigue, and the threat of illness. The members of a tight, well-greased kitchen staff are a lot like a submarine crew. Confined for most of their waking hours in hot, airless spaces, and ruled by despotic leaders, they often acquire the characteristics of the poor saps who were press-ganged into the royal navies of Napoleonic times—superstition, a contempt for outsiders, and a loyalty to no flag but their own.

and

I’ve been a chef in New York for more than ten years, and, for the decade before that, a dishwasher, a prep drone, a line cook, and a sous-chef. I came into the business when cooks still smoked on the line and wore headbands. A few years ago, I wasn’t surprised to hear rumors of a study of the nation’s prison population which reportedly found that the leading civilian occupation among inmates before they were put behind bars was “cook.” As most of us in the restaurant business know, there is a powerful strain of criminality in the industry, ranging from the dope-dealing busboy with beeper and cell phone to the restaurant owner who has two sets of accounting books. 

and

I love the sheer weirdness of the kitchen life: the dreamers, the crackpots, the refugees, and the sociopaths with whom I continue to work; the ever-present smells of roasting bones, searing fish, and simmering liquids; the noise and clatter, the hiss and spray, the flames, the smoke, and the steam. Admittedly, it’s a life that grinds you down. Most of us who live and operate in the culinary underworld are in some fundamental way dysfunctional. We’ve all chosen to turn our backs on the nine-to-five, on ever having a Friday or Saturday night off

Edited by TurkeyChew

My grandmother was the worst to servers.  I was mortified by her countless times.  One time my dad had to tell his MIL to STFU in front of the extended family.

Mom and her sister and brother were all conditioned to stare off into space but something had to be done.

Bad times.

23 minutes ago, huge said:

My grandmother was the worst to servers.  I was mortified by her countless times.  One time my dad had to tell his MIL to STFU in front of the extended family.

Mom and her sister and brother were all conditioned to stare off into space but something had to be done.

Bad times.

Nothing worse than sitting at a table while one of your party fucks with or humiliates a server in front of you.  Total Dick move .  I’ve approached servers after incidents and apologized for boorish behavior .  Not getting my food spit on.  

Never worked as a waiter but my first ever job was as a clerk in a pawn shop. That experience was something else: "congratulations on turning 18! Now go out front and tell the thieves, junkies, and drunkards that diamond ring they want $150 for is a worthless fugazi."

After tuning 21 became a bartender. The benefits to that job were definitely the young 17+ women servers who were equal parts naive and slutty. They pretty much all partied and supplying a bottle of flavored vodka and a couple grams of weed was like you just bought her a new Mercedes. Then the occasional older woman cougar customer who fantasized about getting that young 21 yr old bartender's cock in her mouth to spice up her boring middle aged existence. 

The human is a fucked up creature