Flying with Your Dog

Landomatic

Anyone here have any experience with it? Mine won't fit in a carry on under the seat in front of me, but he can sit on my lap. Other than flying private every time (that shit gets expensive), what are my options?
td/dr - How does this whole "service dog" thing work?

With my old dog Abby, she flew a number of times on AA.  Now, this was pre USAir merger, so I felt a lot better about AA back then.  They had good rules in place.  She flew both as checked luggage and as cargo (i.e. I was not on the flight with her).  She did excellent, but once she got to a certain age, we stopped flying with her.  Neither Rini or Harvey have ever flown, nor will they.  Rini is too old at this point, and Harvey would lose his shit.  When I moved to NYC from Houston, we rented a massive SUV and loaded up the valuables and dogs and did the three day drive.  My furniture and household goods met us here a day after we arrived, so it all worked out.  

I will echo what others have said.  A lot of people apply for "Emotional Support Animal" status to get their pets on planes.  It is BS, and it hurts those that have a legitimate need.

Almost all airlines have nixed the service dog option for flying. Unless you go the full investment to train and certify for it. Emotional support certification no longer works to get your dog on the plane.

Only option is crate. Alaska airlines is the best experience that we have had to date across multiple airlines.

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I was on a flight in the last year where some POS brought their fucking cat.  Fucker meow’d the whole gotdamn flight.

If the cat can fit in a carrier underneath the seat in front of them (has to be able to stand up and turn around), and the person paid for it (I believe as a carry on, a pet is $75), then they are absolutely allowed to bring their cat on the plane.  It might suck for you, but it is allowed.  Now, if they had the cat out, etc.. then that is some serious bullshit.

I guess I have flown many times then with cats and never knew.  I wouldn’t really have given a shit except for 2.5 hours of meowing is fucking ridiculous.

Further, and I have stated this before, the contradiction between the allergy policies of airlines with small bags of peanuts and peoples pets is some bullshit.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Anyone here have any experience with it? Mine won't fit in a carry on under the seat in front of me, but he can sit on my lap. Other than flying private every time (that shit gets expensive), what are my options?

Unaware of the parameters of your trip, nor the disposition of your pet, but...I can't help but think that you would be better off finding a good boarding facility near you.

i'm a huge animal-lover (we probably all are)... but the proliferation of 'my dog is my child and must go with me everywhere!' is fucking ridiculous.

if i'm at a restaurant with outside seating and they have signs indicating they are pet-friendly, i have zero issue with it. but people who bring their clearly non-service dogs into HEB, Lowe's, etc. are the worst. LITTLE FIFI IS NOT YOUR DAUGHTER YOU STUPID TWIT 😡

people who think/treat their animals like humans are terrible pet owners for a variety of reasons (not saying this applies to OP at all, just general observation).

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I once had a 12 hour flight with an unhappy infant a row in front of us.  Give me a semi-well behaved animal over that shit.

Had the raging infant experience just last year. In business class.

I think I'd even prefer an emotional support rooster over that experience: 

• Hook 'Em 3

We either drive or go the house sitter route. He doesn’t do all that great being left, so I think he would probably stroke out under the plane. As far as taking him everywhere, I’m fine with it. Hell, he acts better than most peoples kids.

19 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Please don't be like this stupid bitch who somehow convinced AA her dog would fit underneath the seat. The poor dog basically had a prolonged panic attack for the whole flight and hauled ass down the aisle while we were landing.

aa dog bitch.jpg

The first part is sad, but the hauling ass down the aisle while landing made me laugh.

I did it once, around 11 years ago. Was moving from London to Houston in August and had to find a way to get an 18 month old buildog back. Most airlines had banned flying brachycephalic dogs in the hold, plus being August weather there was not another option (outside of giving up the mutt). 

So, we flew business class, bought an extra seat to create some space (which we ultimately didn't need) and it was fine. I wouldn't want to do it again but was a bit of a necessity at the time.

3 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

I did it once, around 11 years ago. Was moving from London to Houston in August and had to find a way to get an 18 month old buildog back. Most airlines had banned flying brachycephalic dogs in the hold, plus being August weather there was not another option (outside of giving up the mutt). 

So, we flew business class, bought an extra seat to create some space (which we ultimately didn't need) and it was fine. I wouldn't want to do it again but was a bit of a necessity at the time.

If I could buy an extra seat and get my dog on the plane, I would do it.  Absolutely, especially if I was moving.  As it is, if I ever move overseas, I will be looking at getting them into the kennels on the Queen Mary or another similar ship.

On 1/23/2022 at 11:29 AM, closetojumping said:

People faking the service dog bit on planes or really anywhere can get fucked. Had a fucking a poodle of some sort yapping on a four hour flight last year. I would have preferred to have heard a screaming baby by the end of it. 

That’s so lame because poodles are smart dogs and easy to train. No excuse for that. Just a shitty, irresponsible dog owner. (They probably gave their dog a stupid fru-fru haircut, though.)

On 1/23/2022 at 8:30 AM, Landomatic said:

Do not be that asshole to bring a fake service dog on a plane.  Just don't.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s so lame because poodles are smart dogs and easy to train. No excuse for that. Just a shitty, irresponsible dog owner. (They probably gave their dog a stupid fru-fru haircut, though.)

While I have two dogs and love dogs in general, I'm pretty terrible about breeds and stuff, so who the fuck knows what it was. It was little, white, and super bushy/curly. And it was yapping.

On 1/23/2022 at 1:51 PM, mchookem said:

i'm a huge animal-lover (we probably all are)... but the proliferation of 'my dog is my child and must go with me everywhere!' is fucking ridiculous.

if i'm at a restaurant with outside seating and they have signs indicating they are pet-friendly, i have zero issue with it. but people who bring their clearly non-service dogs into HEB, Lowe's, etc. are the worst. LITTLE FIFI IS NOT YOUR DAUGHTER YOU STUPID TWIT 😡

people who think/treat their animals like humans are terrible pet owners for a variety of reasons (not saying this applies to OP at all, just general observation).

Lowes allows non-service dogs. It's a great way to meet single women who own their own homes.