AFC: Bills v Chiefs

RPM

I was rooting for Buffalo.  Up until 1998 there were only 6 Super Bowls that were the least bit interesting.

III Baltimore Colts beat Dallas

X Pittsburg beat Dallas

XIII Pittsburg beat Dallas

XVI San Francisco beat Cincinnati

XXIII San Francisco beat Cincinnati

XXV NY Giants beat Buffalo

Both times Cincinnati made the Super Bowl they had to get through Buffalo.  And San Francisco may be the NFC representative.

Naturally, Dallas and Cincinnati were my favorite teams during that era.

• Like 1

I’m too late to edit my post above.

I just want to clarify that I’d be in favor of the total yards determination to replace the coin flip in OT - not for it to determine the game  winner.

(yes I understand that changing the method in which 1st possession is established would probably not change the frequency in which 1st possession holders win the game)

8 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Fun fact, the only state title my hometown has won in high school football was back in the year I was born, 1984.  In the semifinals they beat Westlake (who was the huge favorite, obviously) on penetrations.  /coolstarrybra

Wrong year, Joey Sweetwater.  The answer you are looking for is 1986.

Crazy divisional round. 3 upsets and all four games with walkoff scores for the wins with none of the final drives in regulation being ho hum clock milking time killers.

The only thing that could have made it more exiting is have those game winning field goals not be tie breakers.

9 hours ago, bullet said:

I was rooting for Buffalo.  Up until 1998 there were only 6 Super Bowls that were the least bit interesting.

III Baltimore Colts beat Dallas

X Pittsburg beat Dallas

XIII Pittsburg beat Dallas

XVI San Francisco beat Cincinnati

XXIII San Francisco beat Cincinnati

XXV NY Giants beat Buffalo

Both times Cincinnati made the Super Bowl they had to get through Buffalo.  And San Francisco may be the NFC representative.

Naturally, Dallas and Cincinnati were my favorite teams during that era.

PittsburgH. There is an h at the end.

Play some fucking defense if you want to win the game.
Buffalo did not deserve another chance.
They gave up 45 or so yards in 13 seconds to get tied and then could not stop KC in OT.
OT rules are just fine in the NFL.

Except the rules are heavily favored towards the offense. Both defenses were giving up big plays , if buffalo wins the toss they probably win the game .

9 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

They gave up 45 or so yards in 13 seconds to get tied and then could not stop KC in OT.

The Chiefs gave up 15 points in 2 minutes. It was decided on a coin toss. 

8 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

uh, so why didn't KC play enough defense build and maintain a lead at the expiration of regulation play?

the point is both team should have equal opportunities to perform. 

4 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Except the rules are heavily favored towards the offense. Both defenses were giving up big plays , if buffalo wins the toss they probably win the game .

I dont know why they just dont play another quarter. That seems like a simple solution. 

6 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Don’t like current OT rules but think the Buffalo coach blew the game by kicking off to end zone and ;not taking any time off the clock with only 13 seconds left. 

Could have squibbed it, but honestly WTF on the Kelce play? They gave up 50 yards in 13 seconds and didnt force KC to make a play. They gave them easy yards that was terrible. Do you need a pass rush when you know the pass is going to be thrown in 3 seconds? 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Could have squibbed it, but honestly WTF on the Kelce play? They gave up 50 yards in 13 seconds and didnt force KC to make a play. They gave them easy yards that was terrible. Do you need a pass rush when you know the pass is going to be thrown in 3 seconds? 

Yep, don’t get the coverage on Kelce at all but at least on squib kick there is the possibility of a fumble and ensuing scrum which can burn a lot of time.  

Oilers fan says fuck the Bills forever.  Glad to see them lose again.  And if you want to cry about the rules.  Stop the other team from scoring and moving the ball.  Bills had plenty of chances to stop them.  Hill scores on an incredible play, 13 seconds and a field goal, and then a TD again in OT.  KC deserved it, and Mahomes is flat out Superman.

"When things look grim, be the Grim Reaper"  Andy Reid.

Loved seeing Tenn get beat, fuck Bud Adams, loved seeing Buffalo get Beat, fuck the Bills.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I believe the appropriate cliche here is, "be careful what you wish for"

Huh? Just because they benefited from the rule this time doesn't mean he wouldn't support a rule change today. 

The one thing the NFL playoff rule has going for it is peak excitement at the final moment. A walk off TD is clearly a better finish than a failed 4th down attempt. 

But both offenses should be guaranteed 1 possession in OT (unless the 1st team gives up a safety or pick/scoop-6). Perhaps after 1 possession each, either team getting a TD wins.

Edited by B00M

26 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Oilers fan says fuck the Bills forever.  Glad to see them lose again.  And if you want to cry about the rules.  Stop the other team from scoring and moving the ball.  Bills had plenty of chances to stop them.  Hill scores on an incredible play, 13 seconds and a field goal, and then a TD again in OT.  KC deserved it, and Mahomes is flat out Superman.

"When things look grim, be the Grim Reaper"  Andy Reid.

Loved seeing Tenn get beat, fuck Bud Adams, loved seeing Buffalo get Beat, fuck the Bills.

Mahommes was the 2nd best QB on the field

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Mahommes was the 2nd best QB on the field

Yup.  Mahomes gets help Hill yards after the catch.  It's not like a QB actually throws for X amount of yards...the WR gains most of that.  Allen actually threw bombs into the endzone a few times.

Both QBs played awesome, but I would take  Allen if I am starting a new team.

I am over Mahomes/Chiefs.  They aren't smug / assholes that you can hate like Patriots used to be...but they remind me of Curry & GS Warriors.   I'm just tired of them.   

• Like 1

NFL OT is designed to get the game over with as quickly as possible. A full game is already enough of a beating. People are only mad about it because they wanted the Bills to win. Well dont let it go to OT then. Or at least hold them to a FG and you will get your chance. That's more than fair.

The Chiefs were not "guaranteed to score". The Bills could have made a stop and they didnt. Even just a FG. Cry about it. The exact same thing happened to the Chiefs 2 years ago and guess what. They have only themselves to blame for committing a penalty on a play that would have ended the game.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, utxmike05 said:

Yup.  Mahomes gets help Hill yards after the catch.  It's not like a QB actually throws for X amount of yards...the WR gains most of that.  Allen actually threw bombs into the endzone a few times.

Both QBs played awesome, but I would take  Allen if I am starting a new team.

I am over Mahomes/Chiefs.  They aren't smug / assholes that you can hate like Patriots used to be...but they remind me of Curry & GS Warriors.   I'm just tired of them.   

Tyreek Hill would be really, really hard for me to root for if I were a KC Chiefs fan.

As far as OT goes, I hated seeing how that played out yesterday as the game was basically decided on the OT coin flip. I like the idea of giving both teams the ball at least once in OT and then going sudden death after that. Maybe give the home team the choice to get the ball first or second in OT and then let them play. Take the ball first and you would get the ball back for the third drive (the visiting team would get it fourth, presumably) or go second and know what you have to do to win the game on your drive.

3 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Fact.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pops said:

Or cover kelce for fucks sake. 

Great coverage for the Bills all day except when it counted. Both of those passes were wide open and easy tosses.

OTOH, the Chief's safeties had issues all day. The Bill's drive, despite the 4th down conversions, were pretty fucking easy - The Chiefs gave up long passes to the center of the field all game long.