Priest Holmes underrated badass

Michael Knight

He was looking like a sure fire HOF'er before that injury.  It's a damn shame.  He was a major fucking bad ass. 

I remember being in the stands when he tore UNC and Mack Brown a new one in the Sun Bowl.  Good times. 

Edited by RabidM
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bernard said:

Met him at Ricky Williams Super Bowl party in 2004. Tried to shake his hand. He refused. Struck me as odd. Dude could run and jump though.  

Bernard

Prolly just you bro. 

I met Priest at the Final Four here in SA and the Taste of New Orleans festival. Both times he was cool af. I was able to convince him to sign my Longhorn shoes.

I'll admit that I never thought Priest would have a great NFL career.  My first year at Texas was his junior year, and while he had a pretty good season (524 yards and 5 TD), I don't remember his performance screaming NFL career to me.  His Nebraska game is of course an unforgettable part of Longhorn lore, but he hadn't done that much all season having to play sparingly behind Shon Mitchell and Ricky Williams (he did score 13 TDs, but most of that was short yardage or garbage time).

I do remember him running for 1,000 yards for the Ravens and thought he'd find a roster spot for the next few years.  But I didn't foresee his dominant run from 2001 to 2004 (I'm counting 2004 even though it was cut short by injury, because he still scored 14 TDs that year). 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I'll admit that I never thought Priest would have a great NFL career.  My first year at Texas was his junior year, and while he had a pretty good season (524 yards and 5 TD), I don't remember his performance screaming NFL career to me.  His Nebraska game is of course an unforgettable part of Longhorn lore, but he hadn't done that much all season having to play sparingly behind Shon Mitchell and Ricky Williams (he did score 13 TDs, but most of that was short yardage or garbage time).

I do remember him running for 1,000 yards for the Ravens and thought he'd find a roster spot for the next few years.  But I didn't foresee his dominant run from 2001 to 2004 (I'm counting 2004 even though it was cut short by injury, because he still scored 14 TDs that year). 

My buddy who is a photgrapher for IT (that iconic shot you see from behind Billy Pittman against OU is courtesy of Will G) drafted Priest like 3rd in our fantasy draft right before his breakout year and was widely ridiculed. Needless to say, he had the last laugh…

15 hours ago, Bernard said:

Met him at Ricky Williams Super Bowl party in 2004. Tried to shake his hand. He refused. Struck me as odd. Dude could run and jump though.  

Bernard

6 hours ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

Prolly just you bro. 

I met Priest at the Final Four here in SA and the Taste of New Orleans festival. Both times he was cool af. I was able to convince him to sign my Longhorn shoes.

He doesn't care for anti law enforcement types...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

Prolly just you bro. 

Yes. Quite possibly.

Ricky was signing (and reading) my copy of Lincoln Star-Journal newspaper from the day after Texas snapped Nebraska’s 47-game home winning streak. Brian Jones was there chilling. He’s who invited me in the room. I mentioned to Priest that a friend of mine was the (then) VP of KC Chiefs. He didn’t seem to care. Maybe Priest was like surgeon and didn’t want to risk injuring his hand so soon after signing his big contract extension. Maybe he was slighted that I only asked Ricky for an autograph. Maybe he just hates tall people.

I don’t hold it against him. He was fun to watch. Being in the stands at 1996 B12 Championship is a moment I’ll never forget. 🙂

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, South Austin said:

Where were you in 2001-2004, and did they have cable or the internet?

Oooooh, I was busy having accidents and the ensuing 18 surgeries, amputation, etc.  Most of that time period I seemed to be in one hospital or another somewhere...you know, just the everyday ordinary stuff.

10 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Oooooh, I was busy having accidents and the ensuing 18 surgeries, amputation, etc.  Most of that time period I seemed to be in one hospital or another somewhere...you know, just the everyday ordinary stuff.

So they didn't have cable or internet in the hospital? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2022 at 12:43 AM, Michael Knight said:

Unfortunately the NFL blocks this video from embedding but you can follow the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufKojy1du6g

holmes_priest_sunbowl.jpg

Both Dick and Priest should be in the HoF

Paraphrasing what I heard Dan Neil say on the radio some years later about this game:  We didn't block a soul that day. That was all him.