Best Rock Band formed after 1985

F250

5 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Great question. Without doing a whole lot of thinking, Guns 'N Roses is the one that comes to mind.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia they were formed in 1985. Dammit. I would've guessed 86.

Yeah, does not qualify. There were some good bands that started in the early 80's that I wanted to eliminate, G&R was one of them.

Obviously I’ll go with PJ. Their first 7 or 8 albums are very good to great. Not many of the other bands listed have had that consistency or longevity. 

My other personal faves would be MMJ and Drive-by Truckers. 

Edited by 4th&Five

^^ Was gonna say that of the bands listed so far, the Crowes, Alice in Chains, and Rage are my hands down favorites. Few if any will agree with this one, but the Mavericks have been my favorite band to see live since they got back together 5 years ago. They are so fucking good. 

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

In what universe is Wilco NOT a rock band?

Huh.  I probably hadn't heard anything of theirs in over a decade.  Last time I listened they were very alt-country, but the stuff I just checked out was definitely in the "experimental rock" category.  So fair enough, I concede, they are a rock band. :)

31 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Huh.  I probably hadn't heard anything of theirs in over a decade.  Last time I listened they were very alt-country, but the stuff I just checked out was definitely in the "experimental rock" category.  So fair enough, I concede, they are a rock band. :)

They always had a little alt-country vibe, but with equal doses of pscyh (especially later) and classic rock 'n roll.  This is the 2nd cut on their debut album -- pretty hard to claim any influence stronger than the Stones on this one (and to your point, nobody would accuse the Stones of not having a country twist in a lot of their music, either):

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Apep said:

Muse. 

The Strokes. 

The Killers. 

The Toadies. 

I like this list. Nirvana is obvious. I'd put the Foo on here as well. 

Unlike many others, I like PJ the least of the what I consider the holy trinity of the Seattle grunge movement (Nirvana, Soundgarden (who formed in '84, so can't be included), and PJ). PJ first two albums were great, but I didn't care much for Vitalogy (Better Man is one of the worst songs of all time in my opinion) and I haven't cared much for the stuff since then outside of a song here or there. Plus, I liked Cornell's voice better than Vedder's. 

Couldn't come up with a band over the last 10 years.......

• Like 1

There's no way to get a consensus on this. Here are a few bands that put out at least two stellar records and who formed after 85. I like post-punk, punk rock, and indie type shit.

Fugazi

The Pixies (seriously, how has no one nominated the pixies yet?)

Nirvana

Pavement

The Jesus Lizard

Shellac

Weezer

Edited by irishtexan

I wouldn't put Nirvana on my list because I view punk and metal as offshoots and not subsets of rock when I think about lists like this. They're too punk. Muse (from my list) started out a little too metal, but are now firmly within a rock mainstream. Foo Fighters would fit as a rock band. The subset view would be easier.

This is such a depressing thread. From dozens of great rock bands in the 70’s and 80’s to nada.

Man, no kidding. I had the same thought. And it's only gotten worse the past 10-15 tears. I wonder if the pendulum will ever swing back towards pure, guitar-driven rock? You have young bands like Greta Van Fleet (and yeah, I know they sound like a Led Zep clone, but still) that at least give me some hope.

22 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

N.W.A are in the R&R HOF, so...NWA?

Serious answer: Urge Overkill.

N. W. A. came to mind for me too. But would likely be most influential instead of best rock as defined by the OP  

The kids now play their music for me and my reaction is when the hell did DJ Screw’s syrup sipping sound go mainstream. 

Nine Inch Nails would be post '85

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP