Best Rock Band formed after 1985

F250

14 hours ago, Apep said:

I wouldn't put Nirvana on my list because I view punk and metal as offshoots and not subsets of rock when I think about lists like this. They're too punk. Muse (from my list) started out a little too metal, but are now firmly within a rock mainstream. Foo Fighters would fit as a rock band. The subset view would be easier.

For the love of God, don't mention Nirvana and Muse in the same paragraph ever again. I kinda feel like we're at the point where if there is a guitar and/or bass and actual drums, it's "rock" music.  

I know I'm old now because 1) I'm finally a man because I turned 40 and 2) I just do NOT understand the appeal of the soundcloud xanax emo rap shit. I read this interview with Dave Grohl and he had this to say: 

“It depends how you define punk rock,” says Grohl. “You know who Lil Pump is?” he asks. Actually I do, I say, somewhat proudly. He’s the so-called “Soundcloud rap star” who overdosed on Xanax and coke late last year. “No. That was Lil Peep. Lil Pump is from the same genre, that slow-cooked emo hip hop thing. Anyway, he has a song called ‘Gucci Gang’. It’s hilarious, the video has tigers and bags of weed and blue Lamborghinis in it. Yet for my eldest daughter, Lil Pump is punk rock. In 2018, music doesn’t – and shouldn’t – sound like it did when I was 14. I guess for me punk rock is about a state of independence and if that’s Lil Pump then so be it. It’s about being free to do whatever the hell you want to do.”

That being said, I think he's totally wrong, but it's subjective anyway

33 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

For the love of God, don't mention Nirvana and Muse in the same paragraph ever again. I kinda feel like we're at the point where if there is a guitar and/or bass and actual drums, it's "rock" music.  

I know I'm old now because 1) I'm finally a man because I turned 40 and 2) I just do NOT understand the appeal of the soundcloud xanax emo rap shit. I read this interview with Dave Grohl and he had this to say: 

That being said, I think he's totally wrong, but it's subjective anyway

he's crazy.  how anyone can call that rock... i don't know.

Does it matter if it's rock?   (Not talking about this thread, but to Dave Grohl's point.)

I'm not sure I'd draw too much of a link between Lil Pump and punk rock but the point is valid.  It's music young kids listen to that their parents hate.  Old book, next chapter.

NiN ??

Been thinking about the dearth of new "classic rock bands"

Listen to these with your eyes closed.....  they have a few good songs...  we will see if they can do anything else but expertly and blatantly rip off Zeppelin.

22 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Nirvana literally changed the direction of music. There are a SMALL handful of bands/musicians that accomplished this.

Agree, but it still doesn't make them "the best" which is entirely subjective anyway. 

But I'll always be grateful to Nirvana for making "Smells Like Teen Spirit" the runaway hit of Spring Break 1992 and enabling me to meet, dance with, and hook up with a hot Brazilian chick at Charlie's on South Padre Island.

40 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Does it matter if it's rock?   (Not talking about this thread, but to Dave Grohl's point.)

if you're defining rock from a musical point of view it doesn't fit.  there's the element of rebellion and antiestablishmentarianism sure, but that's not enough to classify it as punk rock, since it has to satisfy a musical standard as well. 

4 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

if you're defining rock from a musical point of view it doesn't fit.  there's the element of rebellion and antiestablishmentarianism sure, but that's not enough to classify it as punk rock, since it has to satisfy a musical standard as well. 

Sure, and I don't think Grohl was saying it is another flavor of The Sex Pistols.  He's just saying it has supplanted punk rock with today's youth.

He obviously gets that it's a stretch if you want to be completely rigorous.  He said "it depends on how you define 'punk rock'".

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sure, and I don't think Grohl was saying it is another flavor of The Sex Pistols.  He's just saying it has supplanted punk rock with today's youth.

He obviously gets that it's a stretch if you want to be completely rigorous.  He said "it depends on how you define 'punk rock'".

yeah, i think his definition is lacking but i'm not going to get the chance to tell him that.

I guess for me punk rock is about a state of independence and if that’s Lil Pump then so be it.

14 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

There are plenty of great rock bands out there. You just won’t hear them on the radio. 

This is of course 100% true. I guess I just lament the fact that you have to go searching for it, whereas when I was growing up all I had to do was turn on the radio to hear great rock music. The good news is it doesn't take too much effort to find it. In fact I get a lot of great recs from Shaggy/Surly.

There's a bunch of good ones that come to mind: Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Alice In Chains, Tool, STP, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, NIN, RATM, Toadies, Dream Theater, Muse, Deftones, Radiohead, Weezer, Janes Addiction, Collective Soul, Blackberry Smoke, CCR, Etc etc etc....

My pick out of that list would be Alice In Chains over Nirvana only because I like their music better.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Nirvana literally changed the direction of music. There are a SMALL handful of bands/musicians that accomplished this.

Their mega spark of initial fame in 91/92 did definitely change the direction of how the industry chose which acts it would support.  The "change in the direction of music" is something Nirvana was a part of.  They were within that movement, not outside, or apart from it.  They were not the catalyst.

• Like 3

On 5/24/2018 at 4:29 AM, 52-80 said:

this thread needs Jesus.

Jesus Jones formed in 1988

Jesus Lizard formed in  1987

Jesus and the Mary Chain formed in 1983

Teenage Jesus and The Jerks formed in 1976

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

There's a bunch of good ones that come to mind: Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Alice In Chains, Tool, STP, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, NIN, RATM, Toadies, Dream Theater, Muse, Deftones, Radiohead, Weezer, Janes Addiction, Collective Soul, Blackberry Smoke, CCR, Etc etc etc....

My pick out of that list would be Alice In Chains over Nirvana only because I like their music better.

Creedence ???

22 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Jesus Jones formed in 1988

Jesus Lizard formed in  1987

Jesus and the Mary Chain formed in 1983

Teenage Jesus and The Jerks formed in 1976

Depeche Mode formed in 1980 but they didn't find their own personal Jesus until 1990.

And Ministry formed in 1981 but Jesus didn't built their hotrod until 1992.

• Like 1

I know they didn't set the world on fir, but I've seen worse bands mentioned and I learned a lot of guitar licks from watching them.  Oh, and there isn't a separate thread on them on this board.

Soul Hat.

16 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yes, I am familiar with their moderately catchy, yet somewhat bland brand of rock.

I would concede that label applies to some of their output, but their best stuff is absolutely worthy of inclusion.

On 5/24/2018 at 3:47 PM, irishtexan said:

There's no way to get a consensus on this. Here are a few bands that put out at least two stellar records and who formed after 85. I like post-punk, punk rock, and indie type shit.

Fugazi

The Pixies (seriously, how has no one nominated the pixies yet?)

Nirvana

Pavement

The Jesus Lizard

Shellac

Weezer

Damn, good choices with Fugazi and the Pixies.

For me Foo Fighters were a welcome surprise after Cobain's suicide.  I took his death hard -- the only "rock" death that was more devastating to me was Stevie Ray's.  One always got the sense that Grohl was a pretty musical guy beyond drums, mostly because he's sing backing vocals now and again, but that first album knocked me out.  I've somewhat lost interest in the band over the last decade, but I still love their shows.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I really like their debut album.  After that, not so much.

Plus, they suck live.  But that's a helluva debut.

Have yet to see them live, but they will be in Austin this summer and I plan on going. Hopefully the live suckage is in the past. You would think as long as they have been together they would have their shit together on stage.