Best Rock Band formed after 1985

F250

Novoselic was probably Kurt's sedative before Kurt could afford the good stuff.  His importance will probably always be underrated because of his perceived musical input and the fact that his bass catching skills weren't on point.

EDIT: My memory was back when Ebaum's World had like 20 or so videos, this was one of them:

Edited by BoomMF

17 hours ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

The argument about whether Nirvana is the best is all well and good. I’m still amazed at someone’s hot take that Nirvana isn’t rock.

Also: it’s wild that I’m maybe the only one that even mentioned more than one contender from the early aughts indie/garage rock resurgence. I think that’s the latest stuff that has had a chance to stand the test of time, but there’s still great rock music being made.

Rock is quietly having a moment right now. Women are getting in on it to a greater extent than before and it’s largely based around a DIY scene/ethos rather than being a commercial juggernaut, but young people are listening to rock music and making rock music for each other, getting inspired by each other just as much as by rockers of yore. Rock is not the defining sound of American culture like it once was, but it’s very much alive and healthier than it’s been in like a decade or more.

Totally agree with you about women and rock. But I'll stand by my comment that Nirvana is too punk if we consider genres like metal and punk separate and distinct from rock. We could probably talk about them as a crossover rock act, like we do with country and Latin groups. That's fair and I'd totally concede their placement atop rock bands formed since '85.

For the anti-Foo Fighters people, name me a better rock song than "Everlong" from the last 30 years. One song doesn't make a band, of course, but when they're at their best they absolutely belong in this conversation.

It's an interesting thought experiment to consider what Dave Grohl would have done had Cobain lived. I don't know anything about what the relationship between them was like. If Grohl could have grown into his artistry within the framework of Nirvana and had a productive symbiotic relationship with Cobain, you're looking at a no-doubt all-time great rock band (even moreso than Nirvana already is considered that way).

For the anti-Foo Fighters people, name me a better rock song than "Everlong" from the last 30 years. One song doesn't make a band, of course, but when they're at their best they absolutely belong in this conversation.

I don’t hate them, just think most of their music is bland and mediocre. And what you are asking is so completely subjective that it is pretty much pointless to discuss. However, I will list a few I like way, way more than that song (some will be from bands that formed prior to 85).

Fugazi “Suggestion”
Fugazi “Waiting Room”
Social Distortion “Cold Feelings”
The Brought Low “Motherless Sons”
Fu Manchu “Cyclone Launch”
Fu Manchu “King of the Road”
Helms Alee “Worth your Wild”
Jane’s Addiction “Stop”
Down “Pillars of Eternity”
Smashing Pumpkins “Cherub Rock”
Whores “I Have Prepared a Statement”
Weezer “Say it ain’t so”
Unsane “Stuck”
Starfish “Run Around”
Queens of the Stone Age “mexicola”
Pearl Jam “Deep”

I could probably go on.

I think "Everlong" is in that conversation.  Off the top of my head I'd put it up there with Beck's "Where It's At", Wilco's "Impossible Germany", Spoon's "Inside Out", Nirvana's "Lithium", and Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend".

Girlfriend is an excellent rock song. But now people are picking and choosing solely on one or a few songs? I thing “greatest” would mean the majority of their catalog is celebrated. Kind of like how we all celebrate Michael Bolton’s entire catalog.

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Girlfriend is an excellent rock song. But now people are picking and choosing solely on one or a few songs? I thing “greatest” would mean the majority of their catalog is celebrated. Kind of like how we all celebrate Michael Bolton’s entire catalog.

I was just responding to the notion you disputed regarding "Everlong".  I wasn't insinuating that those bands/artists were among the "greatest" as per the thread topic (although I definitely feel that way about Wilco and Nirvana).

Well, maybe.  Except I was 28 years old when "Nevermind" broke, and was always a voracious consumer of music.
You seem triggered.  It's gonna be OK.  And the Grateful Dead sucks.
You have obviously not done enough whippets while on acid to truly appreciate The Dead.

• 2 weeks later...

Thrown this around, with fellow olds, and our take was that the modern focus on the individual over a group/team/band is the root cause and collaborative art is near extinct.  Outside of 'coffee house' indie are there even any duos anymore? Did learning to harmonize have its roots in church choirs as only black groups/bands seem to do it anymore?

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

17 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Thrown this around, with fellow olds, and our take was that the modern focus on the individual over a group/team/band is the root cause and collaborative art is near extinct.  Outside of 'coffee house' indie are there even any duos anymore? Did learning to harmonize have its roots in church choirs as only black groups/bands seem to do it anymore?

I don't completely agree, but I think that's a subset of the problem.  I think it's largely artists not putting the same time and effort into their craft as players and writers that they do into being "a star", and that's exacerbated by a complete disintegration of the industry which previously would root out talented (if raw) artists and grow them over a period of years.  Now, it's "we need a hit this summer" and so the new artist has little choice but to be spoonfed highly crafted corporate authored material, which breeds homogeneity, which breeds suck.

Edited by jimmyjazz

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Now, it's "we need a hit this summer" and so the new artist has little choice but to be spoonfed highly crafted corporate authored material, which breeds homogeneity, which breeds suck.

These days this goes for movies, music, and celebrity artists in general.   

I think the advent and growth of rap as the prominent black music made it harder for white folks to effectively co-opt the music, and left to their own devices, we end up with a modern equivalent of The Captain and Tennille.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't completely agree, but I think that's a subset of the problem.  I think it's largely artists not putting the same time and effort into their craft as players and writers that they do into being "a star", and that's exacerbated by a complete disintegration of the industry which previously would root out talented (if raw) artists and grow them over a period of years.  Now, it's "we need a hit this summer" and so the new artist has little choice but to be spoonfed highly crafted corporate authored material, which breeds homogeneity, which breeds suck.

Corporate manufactured formulaic artists was also something we tossed around.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

The payoff to effort ratio probably way higher for EDM, at least in terms of pussy. If you’re playing in a small indie rock band your best case scenario is an April Ludgate type.

That’s really why I took up guitar in the first place.