2022 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

Also - since we are getting kind of close - latest D1 field projection:

• Oklahoma State - 1 seed at Stillwater regional (#4 national seed)
  • Texas -  2 seed at Baton Rouge regional (LSU #15 seed)
  • TCU - 2 seed at College Station regional (A&M #7 national seed)
  • Texas Tech - 2 seed at Coral Gables regional (Miami #5 national seed)
  • Oklahoma - 3 seed at Fayetteville regional (Arky #9 seed)

TCU winning the College Station regional would be so delicious. Haven't they done that multiple times in the past several years?

• Hook 'Em 3

45 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Also - since we are getting kind of close - latest D1 field projection:

• Oklahoma State - 1 seed at Stillwater regional (#4 national seed)
  • Texas -  2 seed at Baton Rouge regional (LSU #15 seed)
  • TCU - 2 seed at College Station regional (A&M #7 national seed)
  • Texas Tech - 2 seed at Coral Gables regional (Miami #5 national seed)
  • Oklahoma - 3 seed at Fayetteville regional (Arky #9 seed)

TCU winning the College Station regional would be so delicious. Haven't they done that multiple times in the past several years?

Hate to say this, but A&M has a good team this year.  Hitting the portal has paid dividends.  The 2 seed at LSU means Texas would be considered the 18th overal seed? Is that about right?

36 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Hate to say this, but A&M has a good team this year.  Hitting the portal has paid dividends.  The 2 seed at LSU means Texas would be considered the 18th overal seed? Is that about right?

Yeah I think so.  Top 16 seeds host.  Then I would think #17 would be the 2-seed at #16, #18 would be the 2-seed at #17 and so on...

I know in the NCAA basketball tournament they sometimes have to move seeds from where they would normally be based on certain factors (like they they try to avoid conference matchups until a certain point or protect higher seeds, etc.)... not sure if they have anything like that in baseball or not.

1 hour ago, zlavydra said:

Hiring an outstanding coaching staff has paid more.    Rumor was we did not show genuine interest or sincerity in Schlossnagle and only talked to him as one of the final candidates.   

They only have 8 transfers (below article).   We have  as many (Messinger, Schuessler, Stehly, Melendez, O'Dowd, Blair, Morehouse, Olivarez) if you include juco transfers which aggy includes in their 8. 

If interested,  read the below article and check the bios of their coaching staff.

With the hire of new head coach Jim Schlossnagle this past summer, A&M baseball has gone to work creating a very impressive coaching staff and bringing eight transfer athletes to Aggieland. Baseball America recently tabbed the Aggies with the nation’s best transfer class in 2021.

https://www.thebatt.com/sports/a-m-s-transfer-class-brings-experience-fresh-potential/article_946eb30a-37a1-11ec-9311-b74ae6145950.html

https://12thman.com/sports/baseball/roster#sidearm-roster-coaches

Edited by torre

Complete bracket for predictions 4 May.

https://d1baseball.com/analysis/2022-field-of-64-projections-may-4/

D1Baseball Projected Field of 64: MAY 4
KNOXVILLE   SPOKANE
1 Tennessee* (1)   1 Gonzaga* (16)
4 Coppin State*   4 North Dakota State*

2 Georgia Tech   2 UCLA
3 Connecticut*   3 Pennsylvania*

CORVALLIS   BATON ROUGE
1 Oregon State* (2)   1 LSU (15)
4 Central Connecticut*   4 McNeese*

2 Grand Canyon*   2 Texas
3 Wake Forest   3 Louisiana Tech

BLACKSBURG   CHARLOTTESVILLE
1 Virginia Tech (3)   1 Virginia (14)
4 Fairfield*   4 Davidson*

2 Wofford*   2 Maryland*
3 West Virginia   3 Liberty*

STILLWATER   EUGENE
1 Oklahoma State* (4)   1 Oregon (13)
4 Army*   4 UNLV*

2 Texas State*   2 UC Santa Barbara*
3 San Diego   3 Vanderbilt

CORAL GABLES   LOUISVILLE
1 Miami* (5)   1 Louisville (12)
4 Maine*   4 Ball State*

2 Texas Tech   2 Arizona
3 Florida   3 East Carolina*

AUBURN   ATHENS
1 Auburn (6)   1 Georgia (11)
4 Alabama State*   4 Coll. of Charleston*

2 Florida State   2 Georgia Southern
3 Kennesaw State   3 Mercer

COLLEGE STATION   HATTIESBURG
1 Texas A&M (7)   1 Southern Miss* (10)
4 Wright State*   4 Campbell*

2 TCU   2 NC State
3 Pittsburgh   3 Louisiana

SOUTH BEND   FAYETTEVILLE
1 Notre Dame (8)   1 Arkansas (9)
4 Evansville*   4 SE Missouri State*

2 Stanford   2 Dallas Baptist
3 Rutgers   3 Oklahoma
Edited by torre
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

OU has knocked TCU down a peg. Big series this weekend OSU v. Tech. We need to win these or Tech can tie or take the lead.

Tech would have to sweep us to take the lead. Even if we lose the series, we would still have a 1-game lead on Tech.  Now, with TCU playing Kansas this weekend, it would likely put them back in play for 1st if we drop the series.

This weekend is TCU's last conference series.  We get Baylor in Waco in our last weekend.  OU is kind of a wild card also hanging around at 11-7 with WVU and Tech left.

Without working out ALL of the possible scenarios, my general sense is that winning the Tech series more than likely has us finishing with the 1-seed.  If TCU sweeps KU it puts some more pressure on us certainly.

38 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Are they going back to only the top 8 make the conference tournament this year? I know they did the 8 vs 9 play-in game last year but I thought that may have only been a one year thing cuz of covid.

Don’t worry, Kansas can’t pass us even if they sweep us. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, torre said:

Plays out well with the head to head games, save TCU.

TCU - @Kansas 

Tech - @ OkSt, OU

OU - WV. @Tech

OKSt - Tech, @Baylor 

WVU - @OU, KSt 

Capture.PNG  stand.PNG

Wow. Tech is 20-3 in Lubbock and 12-13 everywhere else. That's a heck of a home/road split.

15 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Wow. Tech is 20-3 in Lubbock and 12-13 everywhere else. That's a heck of a home/road split.

They have some work to do in my opinion if they want to lock down hosting a regional. An RPI of 47 is not good.

Edited by Hookem2147

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

They have some work to do in my opinion if they want to lock down hosting a regional. An RPI of 47 is not good.

They have A LOT of work.  D1 Baseball had them as a 2-seed in the Coral Gables regional in their projection last week. They had Miami as the #5 national seed, so Tech was the 5th lowest 2-seed and are much closer to the 3-line than hosting.

2 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

They have A LOT of work.  D1 Baseball had them as a 2-seed in the Coral Gables regional in their projection last week. They had Miami as the #5 national seed, so Tech was the 5th lowest 2-seed and are much closer to the 3-line than hosting.

Which is funny cuz D1 baseball also had them ranked 9th.

39 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Which is funny cuz D1 baseball also had them ranked 9th.

Ha yeah that is weird. 

But you gotta think that RPI and sub-.500 road record is gonna bite them. Obviously they have big opportunity in front of them with the series in Stillwater this weekend.

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Tech would have to sweep us to take the lead. Even if we lose the series, we would still have a 1-game lead on Tech.  Now, with TCU playing Kansas this weekend, it would likely put them back in play for 1st if we drop the series.

This weekend is TCU's last conference series.  We get Baylor in Waco in our last weekend.  OU is kind of a wild card also hanging around at 11-7 with WVU and Tech left.

Without working out ALL of the possible scenarios, my general sense is that winning the Tech series more than likely has us finishing with the 1-seed.  If TCU sweeps KU it puts some more pressure on us certainly.

Yeah I’m bad at math. I want the regular season title and a national seed. Need to take two from Tech to make it happen. Beating DBU midweek would be nice too since they’re rpi is like 5.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yeah I’m bad at math. I want the regular season title and a national seed. Need to take two from Tech to make it happen. Beating DBU midweek would be nice too since they’re rpi is like 5.

Yeah with our RPI sitting at #3,  I think more than likely winning the Tech series locks up a national seed, barring a complete flame-out against Baylor and in the Big 12 tourney.  

And yes beating DBU mid-week would be nice.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah with our RPI sitting at #3,  I think more than likely winning the Tech series locks up a national seed, barring a complete flame-out against Baylor and in the Big 12 tourney.  

Any time the NCAA is involved, we get screwed.  How many times has our seeding matched what The Jerry Palm's or D1Baseball have projected?  It's always lower than anyone has projected.  Any L we take between now and selection day is going to hurt us.  If we beat DBU, take 2/3 from TT, sweep BU, and make the conference tournament championship game, that should allow us to squeak in as the 7 or 8 seed.  I'm only kind of kidding.  Do all that and we're probably the 4 or 5 seed.  

16 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Any time the NCAA is involved, we get screwed.  How many times has our seeding matched what The Jerry Palm's or D1Baseball have projected?  It's always lower than anyone has projected.  Any L we take between now and selection day is going to hurt us.  If we beat DBU, take 2/3 from TT, sweep BU, and make the conference tournament championship game, that should allow us to squeak in as the 7 or 8 seed.  I'm only kind of kidding.  Do all that and we're probably the 4 or 5 seed.  

I’m trying to work up some sympathy for you guys, but it’s just not happening.   Best I can do is not laugh if you do get screwed over. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

D1 Chat:

Ryan: Alright. With the sweep over the weekend What do we think Oklahoma State has to do over the next 2 weekends to clinch the Big 12 and a national seed?

Kendall Rogers: Ryan — as long as Oklahoma State has a Top 10 RPI and wins the Big 12 regular season title, it will be a top-eight national seed, IMO. It would deserve it for sure.

https://d1baseball.com/top-stories/d1baseball-weekly-chat-may-9/

Hopefully,  Josh has learned from 2018 when with a 2 or  3 game lead OkSt lost their last 5 of 6 to Tech and Baylor.     David Pierce and Texas came in the back door for the title.

D1 Chat:
Ryan: Alright. With the sweep over the weekend What do we think Oklahoma State has to do over the next 2 weekends to clinch the Big 12 and a national seed?

Kendall Rogers: Ryan — as long as Oklahoma State has a Top 10 RPI and wins the Big 12 regular season title, it will be a top-eight national seed, IMO. It would deserve it for sure.
https://d1baseball.com/top-stories/d1baseball-weekly-chat-may-9/

Hopefully,  Josh has learned from 2018 when with a 2 or  3 game lead OkSt lost their last 5 of 6 to Tech and Baylor.     David Pierce and Texas came in the back door for the title.

Ironically, David HYDE Pierce also came in the back door that year

giphy.gif

48 minutes ago, torre said:

DBU defeats OKSt 7-6 with a first pitch, 2 out walk off home run.   McLean left a breaking ball up letter high to Blayne Jones who leads DBU with 10 HR's.

Good for the Patriots, my 2nd favorite in-state team. Respect the hell out of Heefner.

• Hook 'Em 1

I can't figure out TCU at all. They sweep Tech and win the series against OSU and then follow it up by losing a pair to Florida State and dropping a series at home to OU before needing 11 innings to beat an awful Incarnate Word team. They are 2-5 in their last 7. They have been a rollercoaster team all year and I thought getting Krob back would settle their pitching down but that hasn't been the case. 

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Ugh, I hate midweek games, especially against stout mid-major programs. Gotta take two from Tech this weekend.

I streamed the game.   McLean looked tired,  even before the HR there were two hard hit fly balls.   He was leaving the ball up.

Your RPI dropped to 4 in NCAA and Nolan,  Boyds still at 3.   DBU moved up to 3 in NCAA and Nolan.

(admittedly closet OKSt fan except when playing Texas.   Like Josh and have good friend in Midwest City who is friends with the Gundy Family) 

)