winning time: the rise of the lakers dynasty. hbo in march.

henrygandorf

On 4/6/2022 at 1:54 PM, shadow_operative said:

have you watched the playoffs any time recently? the level of play and the competitive nature of the series' is better than its ever been. The Lakers won five titles in the 80's and played in another 3. That's 8/10 years with the same team representing the West in the Finals. the other two years the Rockets made it. the East wasn't much better. every single finals of the decade was played by either the Celtics, Sixers, or Pistons. so you had an entire decade where FIVE total teams played in the Finals. and again, the difference in skill level these days is immeasurable. if that's your cup of tea, that's fine, but don't go around saying that today's NBA sucks just because you preferred a far inferior product. 

I'll say this since you're younger than most of us and probably didn't watch the 80s NBA with any real level of perspective, the 80s NBA was the golden age of basketball in the sense that it launched the sport into the American zeitgeist in a fundamental and inextricable manner. Teams were diverse in their style of play and perfectly fit the makeup of their cities. You had teams like the Lakers, Nuggets, Sonics, Mavericks, Warriors, and even the Celtics who pushed the absolute mess out of the ball up and down the court. You had Houston and Atlanta who were perpetual brides maids despite overwhelming athleticism. Then on the other end of the spectrum teams like the Pistons, Utah, Cleveland, and Knicks who would routinely force opponents into rock fights.

Also like @longhornmatt mentioned there were true characters back then who weren't obsessively worried about their image and focus testing their every utterance. Plus these guys in the 80s came up before the commodification of basketball so unlike today with AAU and data driven strategy forcing everyone to play within a narrow set of stylistically parameters, players back then had a diverse array of playing and shooting styles. Magic shot the ball like a shot put. Kareem had his famous skyhook. Mark Price had absolutely flawless fucking form. Bird cocked the ball behind and slightly to the right of his head. Dominique shot with the palm of his hand and kicked his legs out in a very specific way. If a kid mimicked a player on the court absolutely everyone knew who he was. Even the announcers were characters. Freaking Tommy Heinson sounded like Fred Flinstone was broadcasting a game alongside Dick Stockton. All this added to the texture and overall enjoyment of the league during an era that essentially introduced the game to the country. Even though the 90s brought us Jordan's peak I'll contend that much like some would argue with Steph today, his success altered the style of the game for the worse and ultimately stagnated the NBA once his star was no longer around to blockout the banality his presence brought upon the league. 

• Hook 'Em 9

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

And the players didn't pull the pussy ass bullshit of taking games off regularly, even though the games were much more physical and the pay much less.

Like most everything else in today's corporate/efficiency obsessed world, the rest players take today isn't a function how big their pussies are. It's a result of the data driven world we live in and a product of what teams have learned about minimizing injuries. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

On 4/6/2022 at 2:46 PM, shadow_operative said:

i hear you on all of this. i'm right there with you. i hate how buddy-buddy so many guys are, and how powerful players all want to hit up their group text so that they can all join the same team the next offseason. i loved it when guys hated each other, and wanted nothing more than to crush their opponents. John Stockton was a thug by today's standards. i definitely miss the level of animosity that used to exist among the best players in the league. 

John Stockton was a fucking thug in any era. Cheapshot motherfucker, kidney elbowing back pick piece of shit. One of the dirtiest players in NBA history. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'll say this since you're younger than most of us and probably didn't watch the 80s NBA with any real level of perspective, the 80s NBA was the golden age of basketball in the sense that it launched the sport into the American zeitgeist in a fundamental and inextricable manner. Teams were diverse in their style of play and perfectly fit the makeup of their cities. You had teams like the Lakers, Nuggets, Sonics, Mavericks, Warriors, and even the Celtics who pushed the absolute mess out of the ball up and down the court. You had Houston and Atlanta who were perpetual brides maids despite overwhelming athleticism. Then on the other end of the spectrum teams like the Pistons, Utah, Cleveland, and Knicks who would routinely force opponents into rock fights.

Also like @longhornmatt mentioned there were true characters back then who weren't obsessively worried about their image and focus testing their every utterance. Plus these guys in the 80s came up before the commodification of basketball so unlike today with AAU and data driven strategy forcing everyone to play within a narrow set of stylistically parameters, players back then had a diverse array of playing and shooting styles. Magic shot the ball like a shot put. Kareem had his famous skyhook. Mark Price had absolutely flawless fucking form. Bird cocked the ball behind and slightly to the right of his head. Dominique shot with the palm of his hand and kicked his legs out in a very specific way. If a kid mimicked a player on the court absolutely everyone knew who he was. Even the announcers were characters. Freaking Tommy Heinson sounded like Fred Flinstone was broadcasting a game alongside Dick Stockton. All this added to the texture and overall enjoyment of the league during an era that essentially introduced the game to the country. Even though the 90s brought us Jordan's peak I'll contend that much like some would argue with Steph today, his success altered the style of the game for the worse and ultimately stagnated the NBA once his star was no longer around to blockout the banality his presence brought upon the league. 

I still love the NBA. The Memphis Grizzlies are my team, they're a blast to watch now, and I loved the Grit n Grind days. However, the flopping bullshit has gotten way out of hand. 

28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Segel was born for this role. 

Yeah, it's uncanny how they seem to have cast a lot of people that are just perfect for their roles.

I mean, there's plenty of shows over the last few years that seem to be really good  at nailing down the cast, but this is something else.

11 minutes ago, huge said:

I wonder how true the Nike biz was.

Very True.  Nobody has mentioned actual numbers, but the low end is that he missed out on over half-a-billion dollars, and the high-end is that he missed out on billions (the series probably exaggerated it quite a bit).  He and Phil Knight have both said it was "a lot".

According to Magic:

When I first came out of college, all the shoe companies came after me -- and this guy, Phil Knight, who had just started Nike.

All the other companies offered me money, but (Nike) couldn't offer me money because they just started. 

So he said, 'Stock. I'm going to give you a lot of stock.'

I didn't know anything about stock. I'm from the inner city. We don't know about stocks.

Boy, did I make a mistake. I'm still kicking myself. Every time I'm in a Nike Store, I get mad. I could have been making money off of everybody buying Nikes right now.

YouTube video if you want to watch it 

Yeah, it's uncanny how they seem to have cast a lot of people that are just perfect for their roles.
I mean, there's plenty of shows over the last few years that seem to be really good  at nailing down the cast, but this is something else.

Sally Field and Reilly should win emmy’s. All time performance from Reilly.
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Sally Field and Reilly should win emmy’s. All time performance from Reilly.

I would add the guy playing Jerry West also.  Hell, even the Magic, Kareem, Norm Nixon actors are killing it to me.  I was kind of blown away when I learned that Claire Rothman is played by the daughter from Field of Dreams.  She looked familiar but I couldn’t quite figure out why. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Very True.  Nobody has mentioned actual numbers, but the low end is that he missed out on over half-a-billion dollars, and the high-end is that he missed out on billions (the series probably exaggerated it quite a bit).  He and Phil Knight have both said it was "a lot".

According to Magic:

When I first came out of college, all the shoe companies came after me -- and this guy, Phil Knight, who had just started Nike.

All the other companies offered me money, but (Nike) couldn't offer me money because they just started. 

So he said, 'Stock. I'm going to give you a lot of stock.'

I didn't know anything about stock. I'm from the inner city. We don't know about stocks.

Boy, did I make a mistake. I'm still kicking myself. Every time I'm in a Nike Store, I get mad. I could have been making money off of everybody buying Nikes right now.

YouTube video if you want to watch it 

Damn. Magic’s probably not hurting at all financially but he could have had Jordan money 

25 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Paul Westhead launching into Shakespeare at his press conference killed me.

And it's really odd how little coaches had in terms of assistants back then.

Meanwhile, if I end up in the hospital on death's doorstep, I'm going to make sure and whisper so that my family/friends lean in to hear me, and then say "fuck my dick".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

Damn. Magic’s probably not hurting at all financially but he could have had Jordan money 

Yep. 

And the Jordan brand could have been the Magic brand. You can imagine "Nike Magic I, Nike Magic IV, etc."

That's really was how Nike looked to distinguish themselves and it was fucking brilliant. They essentially took their plan for Magic and applied to to Jordan four years later.  It helped that they had been very successful in running shoes up to that point so had more money they could throw at Jordan, but for people who weren't around, it really was an out-of-nowhere deal... Nike was pretty much 100% associated with running shoes up until Jordan.  It would be like today if New Balance all of a sudden signed the #1 draft pick to an endorsement deal and started making basketball shoes all of a sudden.

But yeah I think Magic is doing just fine. :)

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Hook 'Em 1

I would add the guy playing Jerry West also.  Hell, even the Magic, Kareem, Norm Nixon actors are killing it to me.  I was kind of blown away when I learned that Claire Rothman is played by the daughter from Field of Dreams.  She looked familiar but I couldn’t quite figure out why. 

The Jason Clarke depiction of West has been controversial, since West was portrayed as a nut job. Though he’s coming hard in the paint as comedy relief.

But Rothman is also doing an amazing job. Fuck!

The hair and makeup seems purposely over the top. Maybe part of the charm and satire.

I don't know if apostrophe abuse is something new, or just something we didn't notice much because there was no social media.
But holy fuck it's out of control.

You are missing a comma and an apostrophe. You also have some formatting issues. Get your own glass house in order before throwing stones.
  • Hook 'Em 1

the scene where Magic and his chick were arguing, and Magic put her on blast for knowing that he was talking to other chicks and not saying anything about it was brilliant. winning an argument with your chick is hard enough, but to be able to put her on blast because *you* were cheating on her and she did nothing about it? frighteningly poignant. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the scene where Magic and his chick were arguing, and Magic put her on blast for knowing that he was talking to other chicks and not saying anything about it was brilliant. winning an argument with your chick is hard enough, but to be able to put her on blast because *you* were cheating on her and she did nothing about it? frighteningly poignant. 

She's one of the characters that is not based on a single real-life figure, and I think the author of the book (or maybe it was one of the TV show writers) said it was because of legal reasons, and so she's an amalgamation of actual people.  It sounded like a lot of stuff she did was done by one or more women.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

She's one of the characters that is not based on a single real-life figure, and I think the author of the book (or maybe it was one of the TV show writers) said it was because of legal reasons, and so she's an amalgamation of actual people.  It sounded like a lot of stuff she did was done by one or more women.

We’ll put. A lot of stuff was done by one ore more women. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m guessing she’s partly the one who was the mother of Magic’s first son Andre born in 1981.

41 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I’m guessing she’s partly the one who was the mother of Magic’s first son Andre born in 1981.

That could be one of the reasons why the character was created.  I have not read the book, but read about the writing behind it (and the TV series), and they were careful to avoid certain topics and people for "legal" reasons.

It's odd because obviously they have a lot of cooperation from a lot of people and organizations, and they are putting a lot of stuff about real-life people on the screen that, if it was false, could lead to lawsuits, so...

I just need to go read the book.