Texas at Texas Tech Tuesday Feb 1st, 2022 ESPN2 8pm CT

LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

What other basketball game have Tech students camped out even close to that long for?

I'd have to look, it would almost certainly have happened for Kansas this year but the game was too early in January and the students weren't on campus yet. Will probably happen for the Baylor game unless they keep falling in the rankings.

7 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

He's a glue guy.

He won't be drafted, but I do think he'll make an NBA team at some point in his life.

No fucking way. He's 6'6" 210 with limited athleticism, can't handle and can't really shoot. There isn't an NBA comp for him. Hobbes is right - he'd be lucky to get a cup of coffee in the G league. He could probably go play for a 2nd or 3rd tier league in Europe or a good league somewhere else maybe. 

42 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

My bad I thought I saw 7-2.  Our whole conference is basically quad 1 so it stands that we would have some wins in there but we are 3-5 against quad 1 and 7-6 over all against the top half of college basketball. Okay but we have a lot of room to improve and I just haven't seen it on the offensive end yet.  Maybe we will find it but most nights, even in wins, we look lost on offense

Our D is among the nation's best. But I believe the answer to fixing our O rests with a couple guys still in high school. Hopefully both make it to campus. Until then, this team will be scratching and clawing to score 65 on any given night. We just don't have the horses to break down solid defenses.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

Not another Texas game, so answer your own fucking question.

Man, I grew up in Lubbock.  I remember the banners, bumper stickers and t-shirts all over town that said “avoid the rush, hate Texas early.”  UT is the most hated school in Lubbock, and yes, everyone there thinks UT is Tech’s main rival.  Here you had the first game in Lubbock after UT hired away the best Tech head coach of all time and Tech was the favorite going into the game.  You guys saying this wasn’t a special game for Lubbock are fucking kidding yourselves.  

Congrats on the win, that was an ass kicking and it looks like Tech fans had a lot of fun.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Are we getting rowdy roddy piper to come in for our game in a couple of weeks?

Is ric flair at the recovery room singing heart covers right now?

This hits close to home. I sang Journey covers there in grad school. And fuck lubbock and tech and their trash fans. 

10 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Man, I grew up in Lubbock.  I remember the banners, bumper stickers and t-shirts all over town that said “avoid the rush, hate Texas early.”  UT is the most hated school in Lubbock, and yes, everyone there thinks UT is Tech’s main rival.  Here you had the first game in Lubbock after UT hired away the best Tech head coach of all time and Tech was the favorite going into the game.  You guys saying this wasn’t a special game for Lubbock are fucking kidding yourselves.  

Congrats on the win, that was an ass kicking and it looks like Tech fans had a lot of fun.

It wasn’t an ass kicking, but it was a good win for tech. If our guys hit some free throws and take some wide open shots instead of passing it off to the less open guy, this is an overtime game. 

14 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I’m so lubbock that I can remember being star struck when I saw Karen and Abner eating dinner at El Chico’s on 19th/brownfield. 

Edited by NoRagrets
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horn Dogg said:

I had no idea this was true. 

This was an assbeat. Could have been much worse. Fuck it, Tech is still a wildcard, and stupid as fuck - they can beat your ass or but also choke. We will beat their asses in a few weeks. If our student fans show up and out; like Tech fans did. Also a Saturday game! Get it together boys! 

Edited by hundredTT

4 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'd have to look, it would almost certainly have happened for Kansas this year but the game was too early in January and the students weren't on campus yet. Will probably happen for the Baylor game unless they keep falling in the rankings.

Hopefully Urbanovsky can serve as a mini Grove in the future. Tailgating should be a thing in basketball haha. 

5 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

It’s going to suck when the main rival goes away forever. But I guess it’ll be nice not having to shell out $500 when Oklahoma state comes to town?

I'll always hate A&M.  There's a little respect with Texas.

At least away from sports, most Horns are decent motherfuckers. If you have a UT neighbor they don't spend 24/7 trying to convince you how great their side is and how they won the war.

Edited by slorch

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Adams doesn't bring those guys in if he isn't sitting on top of what Beard built. Keeping the train rolling for a couple years isn't especially difficult - granted I also think he's doing a great job. The debate wasn't Adams vs. Beard it was Texas vs. Tech and the fact that Beard is going to get a higher caliber of player at Texas once he has his recruits in the door. That isn't debatable. If Adams wins more in spite of that fact then good for him but that's not the point. 

According to most of y'all; this is impossible.  That is exactly the point. Heard it all offseason how fucked up Tech basketball was going to be now that y'all had Country Club Chris down in Austin.  remember the giggling?  I do.

.The notion that Adams somehow inherited momentum coming into 2021 is laughable.

Edited by slorch

32 minutes ago, slorch said:

I'll always hate A&M.  There's a little respect with Texas.

At least away from sports, most Horns are decent motherfuckers. If you have a UT neighbor they don't spend 24/7 trying to convince you how great their side is and how they won the war.

Probably the same way I feel w/ aggy v OU.  I hate both, but have a slight "respect" thing for OU.  I hate every effing thing about aggy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Our team disn't handle the adversity well to say the least but I didn't think Tech was a vastly superior team than us. I believe we will split the series this year.

That is likely the toughest environment any team will play in this season on the road.

Texas didn't melt down or fall apart, IMHO. They didn't get boatraced or lose by 30.  They lost the game, but I didn't think it was an indictment of their character as a team, if that makes sense.  It was a loss, but they handled that game pretty well, in my book.

It could have been a lot different if they didn't hold it together the way they did.

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

That is likely the toughest environment any team will play in this season on the road.

Texas didn't melt down or fall apart, IMHO. They didn't get boatraced or lose by 30.  They lost the game, but I didn't think it was an indictment of their character as a team, if that makes sense.  It was a loss, but they handled that game pretty well, in my book.

It could have been a lot different if they didn't hold it together the way they did.

Sure, early on it looked like Tech would win by 30 against the smallest Texas team I've ever seen that somehow also has no shooters or ability to dribble drive. It's an unwatchable, flawed roster of mediocrity that is miraculously a fringe top 25 team... for now. We knew all this before last night. So anyway congrats on the great win.

What an embarrassing ass whooping 

Beard seemed like he was throwing shit against the wall to see what stuck during the first half. Could have done without the overly cute move of bringing in the Tech transfer to troll the fans so he could brick 3s while Tech added on to their early lead.

• Fuck You 1

Some of you wallow in misery.

I considered this game a likely loss going in. Texas Tech is a better basketball team this year thus far. The crowd was tremendous, regardless of the outlier aspects of the circumstances. This Texas team has flaws (shhhhh...there's a lot of flaws all over college basketball in the top 25. Don't tell anyone!). 

The game at home against ISU on Saturday is much more of a must win type game. Especially because Texas already lost up in Ames. 

The goal of the season wasn't to win against Mark Adams and the Texas Tech Red Raiders in Lubbock. I do feel like the team continues to get better. They play with a plan and a purpose on the defensive side, and they certainly have an overarching vision on offense, even if it's not pretty to watch. Carr attacked the basket with more purpose than I've seen all year, really. 

Christian Bishop played one of his best games of the season. Of course, Mitchell played one of his worst, and Disu has practically disappeared. Adams bringing in Obanor and Williams versus Texas bringing in Bishop/Mitchell/Disu is practically the entire difference between the two seasons, at least in terms of what kind of productivity and consistency the two sets have produced for their respective teams. Also, Tech got this win with Shannon playing about 6 minutes.

If Texas can ever get those three front court players to play anything like they did last year on offense for their respective teams, Texas would be in high cotton. Not sure it's going to happen with 9 games left in the regular season, but there's always some hope. They certainly have the talent, although I'm beginning to wonder if Disu tweaked his knee.

I don't know that the guard play is going to get a whole lot better. Both Ramey and Carr played for over 30m apiece. That's not something we see a whole lot of, as Beard has made an emphasis of playing a lot of minutes off the bench. Askew has a much higher ceiling than what he's shown. I hope some day he's looking for his shot a lot more than he does right now.

Tech shot 47% from the field, and were 8-19 from 3. Texas was only 6-23, including 0-5 from Andrew Jones. Tech shot 30 free throws and made 21 of them, while Texas only shot 19, and made 14. They outrebounded Texas 37 to 28, including 5 more offensive rebounds. Turnovers were even. 

I do feel like Texas can take them in Austin, although I also feel like Tech is going to represent about 50% of the fans there. Split the series with Tech, and I'll feel real good about it. That's mostly a credit to Adams and what he's done since he became head coach, because I certainly didn't envision the Red Raiders having the better team in the preseason.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be as I fully expected a loss and I expected it to be 20-30 point loss so could have been worse as far as damaging the confidence of the team moving forward. We are about what I thought we would be after I got a good sample of our play. Still think we will be around a 8/9 seed.

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

Could have done without the overly cute move of bringing in the Tech transfer to troll the fans so he could brick 3s while Tech added on to their early lead.

I think Beard was hoping he would be comfortable on his former home court in that environment and be a calming influence on the team. On paper it makes sense. That 1st ugly 3 point attempt early in the possession should have put him firmly on the end of the bench

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

What an embarrassing ass whooping 

Beard seemed like he was throwing shit against the wall to see what stuck during the first half. Could have done without the overly cute move of bringing in the Tech transfer to troll the fans so he could brick 3s while Tech added on to their early lead.

This is one of the stranger aspects of Beards coaching, putting Avery in to try and inject some energy into his team whenever he feels they aren't playing well.

He did it sometimes at Tech, too. I never understood it and I'm not sure it's ever worked.

• Hook 'Em 1

I assume it's been mentioned, but the lack of hustle on this team is astounding, especially when you're getting your ass kicked up and down the court.

How many times did a single Tech player squeeze through 3-4 Texas players for an offensive rebound?  

The only reason it was close is because Tech turned the ball over as much as Texas did.

This team is a bad to real bad offensive team.  And it will continue to be.

• Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Our team disn't handle the adversity well to say the least but I didn't think Tech was a vastly superior team than us. I believe we will split the series this year.

We probably win in Austin.  Though I didn't think we blow the KSU game either, so who knows.  We are frustratingly inconsistent. 

This team sucks on the road - TCU was the lone exception.  We tried our best to lose to an undermanned KSU squad, we embarrassed ourselves in Stillwater and got our ass whooped in Ames.  Not to mention Seton Hall and Gonzaga.  A huge, hostile, emotional crowd for Beard's first game back in Lubbock? I'm glad we made it somewhat respectable of a loss and didn't just vomit all over ourselves, then slip in the vomit, concuss ourselves and then shit our pants. 

But yeah....neither the team nor the coaches handled adversity well in the first half.  At all.  

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

The game at home against ISU on Saturday is much more of a must win type game. Especially because Texas already lost up in Ames. 

The goal of the season wasn't to win against Mark Adams and the Texas Tech Red Raiders in Lubbock. I do feel like the team continues to get better. They play with a plan and a purpose on the defensive side, and they certainly have an overarching vision on offense, even if it's not pretty to watch. Carr attacked the basket with more purpose than I've seen all year, really. 

Christian Bishop played one of his best games of the season. Of course, Mitchell played one of his worst, and Disu has practically disappeared. Adams bringing in Obanor and Williams versus Texas bringing in Bishop/Mitchell/Disu is practically the entire difference between the two seasons, at least in terms of what kind of productivity and consistency the two sets have produced for their respective teams. Also, Tech got this win with Shannon playing about 6 minutes.

• Texas offense probably looked better because Tech didn't run much zone defense
  • Beard made poor decisions on transfers vs Adams
  • Yeah, Iowa State a must win seems like a huge understatement

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:
  • Texas offense probably looked better because Tech didn't run much zone defense
  • Beard made poor decisions on transfers vs Adams
  • Yeah, Iowa State a must win seems like a huge understatement

Virtually any coach would have made those decisions, though. Mark Adams called Tre Mitchell his favorite player out of the portal, and I agree. People love railing on Carr, but Mitchell is the one I find the most perplexing. He looked fantastic the last couple of years, with a really high ceiling. 

Disu had his injury, which I failed to account for, but he was the leading rebounder in the SEC with demonstrated 3 point range. 

I don’t know that Beard made poor decisions. I’d just say Mark Adams made better ones and has utilized them better. 

Iowa State is a must win in the same way Kansas State in Austin was. That loss to the Wildcats is really my only “wtf” moment this season. Really don’t want to see another one on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Some of you wallow in misery.

I considered this game a likely loss going in. Texas Tech is a better basketball team this year thus far. The crowd was tremendous, regardless of the outlier aspects of the circumstances. This Texas team has flaws (shhhhh...there's a lot of flaws all over college basketball in the top 25. Don't tell anyone!). 

If Texas can ever get those three front court players to play anything like they did last year on offense for their respective teams, Texas would be in high cotton. Not sure it's going to happen with 9 games left in the regular season, but there's always some hope. They certainly have the talent, although I'm beginning to wonder if Disu tweaked his knee.

I don't know that the guard play is going to get a whole lot better. Both Ramey and Carr played for over 30m apiece. That's not something we see a whole lot of, as Beard has made an emphasis of playing a lot of minutes off the bench. Askew has a much higher ceiling than what he's shown. I hope some day he's looking for his shot a lot more than he does right now.

Tech shot 47% from the field, and were 8-19 from 3. Texas was only 6-23, including 0-5 from Andrew Jones. Tech shot 30 free throws and made 21 of them, while Texas only shot 19, and made 14. They outrebounded Texas 37 to 28, including 5 more offensive rebounds. Turnovers were even. 

I do feel like Texas can take them in Austin, although I also feel like Tech is going to represent about 50% of the fans there. Split the series with Tech, and I'll feel real good about it. That's mostly a credit to Adams and what he's done since he became head coach, because I certainly didn't envision the Red Raiders having the better team in the preseason.

I think this is a great recap, thanks. I was most disappointed in Timmy Allen last night. He had a disastrous first half and didn't seem up for the challenge. 

9 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

He won't be drafted, but I do think he'll make an NBA team at some point in his life.

I don't. 

Nice guy and all but when your go-to is being a great at hustling, even a lot, that won't get you on an NBA bench. At least not as a player.  Far from it. 

Edited by Wally Pryor

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I think this is a great recap, thanks. I was most disappointed in Timmy Allen last night. He had a disastrous first half and didn't seem up for the challenge. 

Yeah, that’s fair. But he’s been our most consistent player over the course of the season. You’re right though. This might have been his worst game. 

53 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

I don't. 

Nice guy and all but when your go-to is being a great at hustling, even a lot, that won't get you on an NBA bench. At least not as a player.  Far from it. 

yep. go to "glue/hustle" guys that can't shoot, in the NBA, are 6 9 to 6 10 and can jump out of the gym.

4 hours ago, slorch said:

According to most of y'all; this is impossible.  That is exactly the point. Heard it all offseason how fucked up Tech basketball was going to be now that y'all had Country Club Chris down in Austin.  remember the giggling?  I do.

.The notion that Adams somehow inherited momentum coming into 2021 is laughable.

Lol 3 likes and it's two Tech lackeys and a Baylor fan.

You're still missing the point but keep digging. If nothing else you'll understand a couple years from now.