TCM's 31 Days of Oscar

RPM

Rewatching it again tonight and James Wong Howe captured Northwest Texas perfectly. I don't think it would have half the impact if it had been shot in color. I know Claude was a location, but there is a shot of a water tower with Vern on it, assuming that was in Vernon. One bit of historical authenticity that really hits home with me are the wooden corrals. Jesus, I grew up working cattle in identical corrals as a kid. This movie hits way too fucking close to home.

“Little by little, the look of the country changes because of the men we admire.”

Watched Hud for first time and it was excellent. 

Also saw some of Shoah - Four Sisters.  Very powerful, but this is four hours.  I think the full Shoah is around 20 hours.  Great thing about YTTV is I can record without any cap and I can resume seeing something I don't have time at the moment for. 

On 1/29/2020 at 3:07 PM, dogbreath said:

“Little by little, the look of the country changes because of the men we admire.”

Watched Hud for first time and it was excellent. 

Also saw some of Shoah - Four Sisters.  Very powerful, but this is four hours.  I think the full Shoah is around 20 hours.  Great thing about YTTV is I can record without any cap and I can resume seeing something I don't have time at the moment for. 

i watched half of four sisters whatever night it was on this week.  blows me away.  i've seen the full shoah (back in the late 80's) but didn't remember this part.  it was pretty moving.  then they followed it with night and fog, and the sorrow and the pity.   great night of viewing.  

23 minutes ago, RPM said:

Problem is noir films aren't known for their Oscar nominations. I do like that Eddie is starting to host other films during the week. I be rank him right behind Mankiewicz.

Probably right about that but I am pretty sure there are at least 4 of them out there.

You are right about Eddie. He is great and does a lot to help with restoring old films.

You have to give TCM credit, all their hosts know their shit inside and out. Alicia Malone's voice grinds on me, but she's legit. Ben was considered a bold step to take some pressure off of Robert. His background was legit and he's a good interviewer. That certainly panned out. I'm all in favor of more Eddie. He's a good one to take on a larger role.

Edited by RPM

I started watching a movie I had recorded from another channel, and I got disappointed because Ben wasn't there to introduce the movie to me.  I also enjoy Eddie's noir stuff.  And the good looking redhead is capable enough, plus she's a good looking redhead.

I saw some movie - I think it was a Marx Brothers flick - and Dennis Miller and Martin Short 'introduced' the movie.  That was fucking horrible. 

24 minutes ago, miguelito said:

I saw some movie - I think it was a Marx Brothers flick - and Dennis Miller and Martin Short 'introduced' the movie.  That was fucking horrible. 

Thank god that was only on Fridays in November. Miller used to be funny. Now he's just annoying. I understand running guest hosts/programmers to break things up. I'm glad TCM is smart enough to keep it in small doses.

On 2/1/2020 at 1:23 AM, RPM said:

You have to give TCM credit, all their hosts know their shit inside and out. Alicia Malone's voice grinds on me, but she's legit. Ben was considered a bold step to take some pressure of of Robert. His background was legit and he's a good interviewer. That certainly panned out. I'm all in favor of more Eddie. He's a good one to take on a larger role.

I like Ben except when he starts his thing with a really stupid joke that he thinks is really clever, which is most of the time.

Just enjoyed DVR rewatching China Syndrome for first time in many years.  Dovetailed well with audiobook Midnight in Chernobyl also enjoyed recently.  Very well done visually for pre-HD era, and a complex subject.  Irony was that Michael Douglas, who produced and costarred in TCS, and a supporting actor or two with speaking roles, suffered from the inability to pronounce "nuclear."  He said "nyew-kew-lur" every fucking time, and there were several.  Kudos to TCM, Eddie, Ben, Ted, Jane, and the whole schmeer.

Edited by Bama Llama
Radiation exposure
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
4 hours ago, RPM said:

And it has perhaps the worst song ever playing during the opening credits. Horrendously schmaltzy with shrieking vocals & inane lyrics. 

Agree with this!  It was another load of dreck from Stephen "On and On" Bishop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Always came off as more of a made for TV movie to me.

That's exactly what I wrote then decided against being so harsh. The stunts (car chase) were lame and the shots were cheap. James Bridges other films (Urban Cowboy, Paper Chase) have that look/feel, too. 

Watching Around the World in 80 Days. This is such a great film. David Niven is his David Niven-iest and Cantinflas (who is this guy?) is perfect as Passpartout. The cinematography and music are just beautiful. Good reason it won 5 Academy Awards, including Best Picture. Hard to believe they shot this on a $6m budget. That would be $59m today and you just couldn't pull it off without green screening the whole thing. The 2004 remake cost $110m.

Used to watch the cartoon on Saturday mornings and still remember the theme song.

Edited by RPM

On 2/19/2020 at 11:46 PM, RPM said:

Watching Around the World in 80 Days. This is such a great film. David Niven is his David Niven-iest and Cantinflas (who is this guy?) is perfect as Passpartout. The cinematography and music are just beautiful. Good reason it won 5 Academy Awards, including Best Picture. Hard to believe they shot this on a $6m budget. That would be $59m today and you just couldn't pull it off without green screening the whole thing. The 2004 remake cost $110m.

Used to watch the cartoon on Saturday mornings and still remember the theme song.

Around the world 

in 80 days

So Phogg can marry

Belinda Mays

Around the world with

Passpartoooooooooo

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 11:07 PM, Trey3216 said:

Watching ‘Lawrence of Arabia’ on HDNet.  Movie never gets old.  Such a damn gem 

Did you sing along with it?

"Lawrence, Lawrence of Arabia. He's an English guy, he came to fight the Turkish" 

Also, Gone with the Wind was on Sunday night i believe. It came on too late though, fell asleep at half time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Kirk Douglas tribute day started today, Lust For Life just finishing up. Paths Of Glory starts at 7 followed by Spartacus, a TCM Film Festival special with Michael Douglas, and  then The Bad And The Beautiful at 1:30am.

I wish they would air Lonely Are The Brave in prime time. I rarely get to see that one.

1 minute ago, DougO said:

Looks like the Kirk Douglas tribute day started today, Lust For Life just finishing up. Paths Of Glory starts at 7 followed by Spartacus, a TCM Film Festival special with Michael Douglas, and  then The Bad And The Beautiful at 1:30am.

I wish they would air Lonely Are The Brave in prime time. I rarely get to see that one.

Love it, one of his lesser known, but really strong role IMO.

Another excellent Kirk Douglas film comes on after The Bad and the Beautiful, Seven Days in May. Between 7DiM, The Best Man, Fail-Safe and Dr. Strangelove 1964 was an unsettling time.

Holy shit! I just learned why 7DiM is soooo fucking good. Screenplay by Rod Serling. Thank You, Ben Mankiewicz! No idea why I didn't already know that. Self negged.

Edited by RPM

Star of the Month is Joe E. Brown.

dbb63mr-ec655a3f-8db5-4016-bf7e-f8bf4300

His most famous role is the lecherous millionaire playboy Osgood Fielding III who is smitten with Jack Lemmon in Some Like it Hot.

I never really knew of or paid attention to him until my Dad,who was an Iwo Jima vet told me a story about Joe E. Brown. In WWII when big USO shows like Bob Hope were getting all the press, there were smaller shows being done much closer to the front lines. Joe E. Brown was one of those performers. Even before the USO was formed Brown island hopped across the South Pacific at his own expense to entertain the troops crammed into the space behind the pilot in a P-38.  (Most likely it was a P-38M similar to the one below)

3968591535_d17618cdbe_b.jpg

After the war Brown's house in Hollywood burned. In a TV interview Brown said the only thing that hurt was losing all the little momentos given to him by the troops. One of the few times I saw things get dusty for Dad.

Edited by RPM

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday night, and again Sunday morning, Elevator to the Gallows.

Nice noir French film from 1958.  All of this happens in the first 15 minutes or so:

Florence Carala and Julien Tavernier are lovers who plan to kill Florence's husband, Simon Carala, a wealthy industrialist who is also Julien's boss. Julien is an ex-Foreign Legion parachutist officer and a veteran of the Indochina and Algeria wars. After working late on a Saturday, with a rope he climbs up one storey on the outside of the office building, shoots Carala in his office without being seen, arranges the room to make it look like a suicide, and then makes his way out to the street. As he gets into his Chevrolet convertible outside, he glances up and sees his rope still hanging from the building. Leaving the engine running, he rushes back and jumps into the elevator. As it ascends, the caretaker switches off the power and locks up the building for the weekend. Julien is trapped between floors.

Moments later, Julien's car is stolen by a young couple, small-time crook Louis and flower shop assistant Véronique. Florence, who is waiting for Julien at a café nearby, sees the car go past with Véronique leaning out of the window. She assumes that Julien has run off with her and wanders the Paris streets despondently all night asking for him in the bars and clubs where he is known.

That actually sounds confusing, but it's a great set up for the rest of the movie.

But I first heard about this movie by its soundtrack.  The director invited Miles Davis to come and improvise the music.  They showed Miles the film, he worked on some ideas, then they recorded him and a small French band as he improvised while watching scenes.  You can kind of hear the beginnings of modal jazz; Kind of Blue would come out the next year.

And I can't help you if you don't like weary French women.

lift-to-the-scaffold-1958-003-jeanne-mor

Seen here with Miles Davis:

9391d0e00b2c8b23e274cfb0ed2e2342.jpg

Jeanne-Moreau-and-Miles-Davis.jpg

Edited by miguelito
scaffold/gallows

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

And I can't help you if you don't like weary French women.

lift-to-the-scaffold-1958-003-jeanne-mor

I immediately recognized her, but she's younger in this. That's Jeanne Moreau. I only know her from John Frankenheimer's The Train. It was a small role, but she was fantastic.

Definitely voudrais.