TCM's 31 Days of Oscar

RPM

On 3/10/2020 at 6:17 AM, RPM said:

Star of the Month is Joe E. Brown.

dbb63mr-ec655a3f-8db5-4016-bf7e-f8bf4300

His most famous role is the lecherous millionaire playboy Osgood Fielding III who is smitten with Jack Lemmon in Some Like it Hot.

I never really knew of or paid attention to him until my Dad,who was an Iwo Jima vet told me a story about Joe E. Brown. In WWII when big USO shows like Bob Hope were getting all the press, there were smaller shows being done much closer to the front lines. Joe E. Brown was one of those performers. Even before the USO was formed Brown island hopped across the South Pacific at his own expense to entertain the troops crammed into the space behind the pilot in a P-38.  (Most likely it was a P-38M similar to the one below)

3968591535_d17618cdbe_b.jpg

After the war Brown's house in Hollywood burned. In a TV interview Brown said the only thing that hurt was losing all the little momentos given to him by the troops. One of the few times I saw things get dusty for Dad.

Very cool to hear about him. A little  Joe goes a long way for me though.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, DougO said:

Ben-Hur....

Oops, it's the second half that's just starting. Oh well, still a whole movie's worth of greatness.

I hate religious epics, but Ben-Hur is an exception. Such greatness.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I happened to stumble across this one. Set your DVRs boys, we have a legitimate classic on tonight Francis. That's right the original talking Army mule. Chill Wills kills as the uncredited voice of Francis. This is where Mr Ed came from.

Edited by RPM

Brewster McCloud coming on TCM Underground tonight. 1970 Robert Altman film about a birdboy that lives in the Astrodome. Low budget alternative film full of excellent early 70's Houston footage. Bud Cort, Sally Kellerman, Stacy Keach, Shelley Duvall, Rene Auberjonois.

9 hours ago, RPM said:

Brewster McCloud coming on TCM Underground tonight. 1970 Robert Altman film about a birdboy that lives in the Astrodome. Low budget alternative film full of excellent early 70's Houston footage. Bud Cort, Sally Kellerman, Stacy Keach, Shelley Duvall, Rene Auberjonois.

I saw it years ago......one weird movie.

This was pretty good.  Marilyn Monroe and her sidepiece plot to kill Marilyn's crazy husband but it goes all wrong.  I think this is the most I've ever liked Marilyn's acting.  Jean Peters was really good too.  There were lots of beautiful shots of the falls.  I'm not sure why the trailer is black and white but the movie was color.

Edited by WBT

On 5/15/2020 at 12:13 AM, RPM said:

Eddie G, Bogey, Claire Trevor and John Huston 10 years before Key Largo.

With a title like this, you would think he was a character in an Ian Fleming novel.

There is more innuendo in this trailer than in a Bond movie.

"George, I remember that doctor's name rhymed with a female body part. Dr. West? ... Dr. Whipple? ... Dr. Bussey? ... Dr. Mulva? ... I remember!! .... Dr. Clitterhouse!!!!!!

22 hours ago, WBT said:

This was pretty good.  Marilyn Monroe and her sidepiece plot to kill Marilyn's crazy husband but it goes all wrong.  I think this is the most I've ever liked Marilyn's acting.  Jean Peters was really good too.  There were lots of beautiful shots of the falls.  I'm not sure why the trailer is black and white but the movie was color.

And when I heard that voice, I immediately thought of 16 Candles. 

3 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Sand Pebbles (1966) at 330 Sunday.

Saw it when I was tiny, probably on TV.  Last gunfight scene always terrified me. 

On rewatching, the naval battle scene is really awesome. 

Just a gorgeous, "big" movie.

Plus Candice Bergen.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3aN1LZxe6iyvv1K3zSts

The sword torture scene of his engine room coolie was the thing that always stuck out in my mind as a little kid. One of my favorites.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

On May 24, 2020 at 12:13 PM, tantric superman said:

Sand Pebbles (1966) at 330 Sunday.

Saw it when I was tiny, probably on TV.  Last gunfight scene always terrified me. 

On rewatching, the naval battle scene is really awesome. 

Just a gorgeous, "big" movie.

Plus Candice Bergen.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3aN1LZxe6iyvv1K3zSts

Had a visit from director Robert Wise in film class once. He said that was his favorite of all the films he made. 

Eddie G must be star of the month. Just watched Five Star Final (1931) a gritty pre-code newspaper film. You think the media is bad now? Sheesh!

Fortunately they're following it up with the more uplifting biopic Dr. Erlich's Magic Bullet (1940). Syphilis be gone!

• 3 weeks later...

The Swimmer. Based on John Cheever story and starring Burt Lancaster.  Studio very unhappy with result and hired Sydney Pollack to direct some changes and made Lancaster pay for last day of shooting.   Read the story when I was young and would like to read now at my advanced age, but no longer have the book.  I swim everyday and so my interest was to see if there was any like-mindedness. 

Lancaster picks his route across upper class suburbia and swims his way uninvited in neighbors pools with mixed reaction.  It would be a better movie without the studio additions, but the movie that stuck with me.   I share very little with the main character, although my ex-wife may find a few resemblances.  Burt and I do share the absolute joy of diving in water.   He in pools and me in the river. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 3:14 PM, dogbreath said:

The Swimmer. Based on John Cheever story and starring Burt Lancaster.  Studio very unhappy with result and hired Sydney Pollack to direct some changes and made Lancaster pay for last day of shooting.   Read the story when I was young and would like to read now at my advanced age, but no longer have the book.  I swim everyday and so my interest was to see if there was any like-mindedness. 

Lancaster picks his route across upper class suburbia and swims his way uninvited in neighbors pools with mixed reaction.  It would be a better movie without the studio additions, but the movie that stuck with me.   I share very little with the main character, although my ex-wife may find a few resemblances.  Burt and I do share the absolute joy of diving in water.   He in pools and me in the river. 

It's dark as hell and great.

It's John Ford night and there's a couple of classics running back to back. The Grapes of Wrath followed by The Long Voyage Home. Both of these are among my favorite films. The stories are riveting and the performances are epic.

12 hours ago, miguelito said:

Bogart fans: Maltese Falcon and High Sierra on tonight.

“We didn’t believe your story Ms. O’Shaugnessy, we believed your $200. You paid us more than if you had been telling the truth, and enough more to make it alright.”

One of the best lines in the movie, if not the best.