TCM's 31 Days of Oscar

RPM

Just noticed TCM is running December 7th (on now) followed by They Were Expendable (my #1 WW2 film), The Wings of Eagles (John Wayne as Spig Wead) followed by Mister Roberts. Premium John Ford WW2 movie night.

They Were Expendable is my #1. It shows the sacrifice, dedication and suffering our troops in the Pacific had to deal with. Best Years of Our Lives is #2 by a hair only because it deals with post-war reintegration.

• 2 weeks later...

Burt Lancaster day and it's got some greats. Jim Thorpe, All American, The Crimson Pirate, Brute Force, Seven Days in May, The Train, Elmer Gantry, The Birdman of Alcatraz, From Here to Eternity. Jesus, I know he had to make a bad film at least once, but they ain't showing it today.

On 8/6/2020 at 8:25 AM, RPM said:

Burt Lancaster day and it's got some greats. Jim Thorpe, All American, The Crimson Pirate, Brute Force, Seven Days in May, The Train, Elmer Gantry, The Birdman of Alcatraz, From Here to Eternity. Jesus, I know he had to make a bad film at least once, but they ain't showing it today.

Ha.  My brother texted me that Birdman was about to start and didn't even mention what is one of my top 5 flicks, From here to Eternity.

On 7/19/2020 at 8:50 PM, DougO said:

For any movie fans that need covid era time-killing entertainment, the Bogdonovic TCM podcast thing is definitely worthwhile.

https://theplotthickens.tcm.com/

Fuck Peter Bogdanovich. Listen instead to the new season of You Must Remember This about Polly Platt, Peter's wife and collaborator who found The Last Picture Show for him and worked closely with him on his first three movies (ie, his only good movies.) She was credited as production designer, but was much more of a creative producer if not flat-out co-director. Yes, she's "the scorned wife" in the Cybil Shepard debacle, but Polly left him and went on to forge her own career in Hollywood, one far more interesting than Peter's.

McMurtry is a huge part of the podcast, as he was in love with Polly and based Aurora Greenway on her. As a result, Polly worked closely on Terms of Endearment with James L. Brooks -- another first time director -- and later on Broadcast News. Brooks wrote the Holly Hunter character based on Polly.

She'd later go on to help shepherd Say Anything with Cameron Crowe and Bottle Rocket with Wes Anderson.  

Polly is a true Hollywood icon who never got her due cuz woman. It's an absolutely fantastic listen, and a big nostalgic trip down 70s/80s/90s Hollywood. 

Edited by Queen Bitch
more to say

3 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

Fuck Peter Bogdanovich. Listen instead to the new season of You Must Remember This about Polly Platt, Peter's wife and collaborator who found The Last Picture Show for him and worked closely with him on his first three movies (ie, his only good movies.) She was credited as production designer, but was much more of a creative producer if not flat-out co-director. Yes, she's "the scorned wife" in the Cybil Shepard debacle, but Polly left him and went on to forge her own career in Hollywood, one far more interesting than Peter's.

McMurtry is a huge part of the podcast, as he was in love with Polly and based Aurora Greenway on her. As a result, Polly worked closely on Terms of Endearment with James L. Brooks -- another first time director -- and later on Broadcast News. Brooks wrote the Holly Hunter character based on Polly.

She'd later go on to help shepherd Say Anything with Cameron Crowe and Bottle Rocket with Wes Anderson.  

Polly is a true Hollywood icon who never got her due cuz woman. It's an absolutely fantastic listen, and a big nostalgic trip down 70s/80s/90s Hollywood. 

He actually gave her a great deal of credit for her invaluable contributions, and was open about his guilt and terrible behavior with the affairs and breakup stuff. He knows he's an asshole, much like David Crosby, and that's one of the things that makes it good.

I'm not a Bogdonovich fan in particular, always figured he was kind of a douche, most of his movies weren't that great. But he's one of the better film historians among people who had direct contact with film legends and he has conducted countless interviews that otherwise would not exist. It's more about insights from the true icons.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

Will check it out @DougO , thanks for the rec. The loglines for each ep made it sound like a circle jerk, but if it’s a more complicated, examined look at him I’m definitely in.

I'm sure you would enjoy the bonus stuff at the bottom at least.

Foul Play wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.  I had lowered my expectations since I hadn't seen it in 35+ years.  Of course, it stars Chevy Chase, Goldie Hawn, Burgess Meredith, Dudley Moore, Brian Dennehey, a dwarf, and a guy playing an albino, so it kind of has a built in ceiling for greatness. 

Oh, and a title song sung by Barry Manilow. 

Nevertheless, it's a fun little movie.  The albino legit scared me when I was little. 

Steve McQueen day. Watched an old one with him and Jackie Gleason, Soldier in the Rain directed by Blake Edwards. It's not bad, but you'd never expect this was made after The Magnificent Seven and Great Escape. Such an odd role for the King of Cool.

Papillon at midnight, man that's a killer. I have started dozing off early in that span lately, no friggin way I'll be able to hang for a three hour movie that late.

I saw the recent remake last week. It's a'ight compared to most modern shitshows, but doesn't have any of the soul or the drama of the original, it's just kinda flat. It's hard to imagine why anyone would attempt to tackle that one and try to have it hold up as well.

12 hours ago, DougO said:

Papillon at midnight, man that's a killer.

One of the perks of working overnights. This is such a great film. Just noticed the screenplay was by Dalton Trumbo. That explains a lot.

Edited by RPM

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

"Invisible Stripes is a 'damn good movie' ", Robert Osbourne.

fify and you're not wrong. Raft was a better actor than he got credit. He just knew which roles to take or not. Caused him a lot of grief because he wouldn't play a pure bad guy. The character had to have some sort of likable personality. After his career tanked he backtracked and took the role of Spats Colombo in Some Like it Hot. Unfortunately, his career never recovered. 

Bit of Raft trivia. He started out as a dancer and was known as "The Fastest Charleston Dancer" .

• Hook 'Em 1

So I'm watching 36 Hours with James Garner and Eva Marie Saint. At the end of the movie they escape Germany with the help of John Banner, Sgt Schultz from Hogan's Heroes and in the next scene Banner is joined by Sig Ruman, Sgt Schultz from Stalag 17. Both Schultz!

6 hours ago, RPM said:

So I'm watching 36 Hours with James Garner and Eva Marie Saint. At the end of the movie they escape Germany with the help of John Banner, Sgt Schultz from Hogan's Heroes and in the next scene Banner is joined by Sig Ruman, Sgt Schultz from Stalag 17. Both Schultz!

That's a great movie, rarely shown.

5 hours ago, tantric superman said:

On the Waterfront at 5 pm.

A perfect movie with a perfect cast.

qIl5L-1531239577-12151-list_items-gwynne

I'm a total sucker for the contender speech. 

We've talked on these boards about trying to turn people on to old movies.  I can't understand how anyone wouldn't fall for this perfect piece of 50's candy. 

Dude was beautiful...

56dc3a0b7449a177086beecd892904ec.jpg?ito

Is he D and D or is he a canary?

Decline of Western Civilization is on later tonight as well as Part 2: Heavy Metal.  Never thought, I'd see these on TCM.   A doc on Mance Lipscomb was recently on--recorded but have not watched.  The Kids are Alright is on tonight as well.  Recorded the Abba movie from 1979 as Lasse Hallstrom directed and I want to see if there are any My Life as a Dog parallels. 

On 9/5/2020 at 3:25 PM, dogbreath said:

Decline of Western Civilization is on later tonight as well as Part 2: Heavy Metal.  Never thought, I'd see these on TCM.   A doc on Mance Lipscomb was recently on--recorded but have not watched.  The Kids are Alright is on tonight as well.  Recorded the Abba movie from 1979 as Lasse Hallstrom directed and I want to see if there are any My Life as a Dog parallels. 

yeah, you won't typically see shows like decline of western civilization unless it's a late weekend night. there were a lot of music-related shows on recently due to tcm's end of summer tour. "jimi plays monterey" was on as well, which i had never seen before. 

16 hours ago, DougO said:

Watched The Set UP this afternoon, old boxing movie starring Robert Ryan, directed by Robert Wise. This one had somehow eluded me over the years, but I could tell without cheating it was an expertly directed film. Great stuff.

That is one of the best Noir movies ever made.

Excellent.