TCM's 31 Days of Oscar

RPM

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s bogus, dude. Hell, I own The Monkees Greatest Hits on CD. They had some great songs. And stealing someone’s Beatles album is just cruel.

To be completely fair she was a total bitch and it was payback. I actually liked The Monkees. It was Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd so no great loss. I left Pleasant Valley Sunday and a few others unharmed. 

On 4/2/2021 at 11:33 AM, tantric superman said:

Watched the end of Almost Famous last night.  Love the way that the music and the final 5 minutes or so "prove up" the theme of the movie -- how a stupid piece of music can make you crazy.  And then they seal the deal by kicking into "Feel Flows" - a song I don't remember hearing prior to seeing the movie.

Damn, the scene of the kid fingering through the record collection.  The rite of passage in the 70s - having access to your older siblings record collection. 

Awesome review of the final few minutes of a movie and the credits. 

There was nothing on tv so I just watched the Almost Famous DVD again. I decided to watch the theatrical release just to remind me of the differences between that and the “bootleg cut.” (And I wanted to conserve time.) I don’t want to get all analytical but the first difference that stands out is when William meets Lester Bangs for the first time. There’s more to that scene in the director’s cut and it’s both funny and meaningful.

The theatrical release is a good reminder of why they cut it the way they did for pacing and keeping the audience engaged. I wasn’t sure if I’d watch the whole thing when I threw it on. I figured maybe I’d just watch it through William’s first concert experience where he meets Stillwater. Then I got sucked in.

It’s a lot like in The Adventures of Robin Hood from 1939 when I think, “Maybe I’ll just watch until he escapes from the castle,” which is a big, early foundational scene (Just like the first time we hear Feel Flows, tantric). Anytime I get that far, I wind up hooked in for the rest of the film.

The Adventures of Robin Hood and Almost Famous were the first two movies I watched during the lockdown about a year ago.

Every time I watch Almost Famous I love it a little bit more.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

There was nothing on tv so I just watched the Almost Famous DVD again. I decided to watch the theatrical release just to remind me of the differences between that and the “bootleg cut.” (And I wanted to conserve time.) I don’t want to get all analytical but the first difference that stands out is when William meets Lester Bangs for the first time. There’s more to that scene in the director’s cut and it’s both funny and meaningful.

The theatrical release is a good reminder of why they cut it the way they did for pacing and keeping the audience engaged. I wasn’t sure if I’d watch the whole thing when I threw it on. I figured maybe I’d just watch it through William’s first concert experience where he meets Stillwater. Then I got sucked in.

It’s a lot like in The Adventures of Robin Hood from 1939 when I think, “Maybe I’ll just watch until he escapes from the castle,” which is a big, early foundational scene (Just like the first time we hear Feel Flows, tantric). Anytime I get that far, I wind up hooked in for the rest of the film.

The Adventures of Robin Hood and Almost Famous were the first two movies I watched during the lockdown about a year ago.

Every time I watch Almost Famous I love it a little bit more.

Watched Almost Famous for the first time last night. I really enjoyed it. It drew me in to see the ultimate development.

I have seen Errol Flynn as Robin Hood multiple times. It never gets old.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/4/2021 at 1:04 PM, RPM said:

The Defiant Ones coming up. Excellent flick. Think this one is the film that sold me on Poitier. Lilies of The Fields sealed the deal.

Without a doubt Sidney P is one the most impactful actors, ever. Not only was he a great actor, but a lot of his early roles were ground breaking and always done with class.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RPM said:

Foreign Correspondent - Joel McCrea was great in any role they threw at him. Having Hitchcock directing certainly didn't hurt.

Yes, McCrea was solid in everything that he did.  Particularly liked him in Sullivan's Travels and in Espionage Agent.  He also played Sam Houston in The First Texan.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/5/2021 at 7:53 PM, Brothahorn said:

Without a doubt Sidney P is one the most impactful actors, ever. Not only was he a great actor, but a lot of his early roles were ground breaking and always done with class.

In the Heat of the night, in my top 20 movies.... They call me ......... Mr. Tibbs !!!!!!!

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

Had a couple recorded that I missed. The Egg and I is a gem. While it was envisioned as a Claudette Colbert/Fred MacMurray comedy based on a popular real life story book, it turned out to be the pilot for the wildly successful Ma & Pa Kettle series. I used to watch Ma & Pa every Saturday afternoon as a kid. Think Green Acres before there was Green Acres. Still up on the TCM website.

Edited by RPM

Watching Hell's Angels, Howard Hughes' pet project that was originally shot silent, but he took so long he had to reshoot/recast for sound. The story is good, but moves along like molasses. The special effects are impressive given the era, but The Dawn Patrol is a much better film overall.

4 minutes ago, DougO said:

There's an old movie on now, probably from the 30s that was lost and found in the 70s called King Of Jazz. It's a bunch of different musical sketches. Some old school effects and tricks are pretty amazing.

I am recording it now. Will watch after the Horn’s baseball game

8 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Honestly this is the weakest 31 days of Oscar lineup in years, there are some good movies but theres also multiple Ronald Reagan movies and just some real crap

Yeah, these Reagan short movies are....interesting. Watched one last night where he is in the Army rescues a horse that is a world class jumper. I am big into WW2 so I found the military stuff fun.

Night of the Iguana on now. One of my favorite movies. The cast is amazing Richard Burton, Eva Gardner and Deborah Kerr stuck in a rundown Puerto Vallarta resort with a group of Baptist biddies and one oversexed teenage girl.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, RPM said:

Night of the Iguana on now. One of my favorite movies. The cast is amazing Richard Burton, Eva Gardner and Deborah Kerr stuck in a rundown Puerto Vallarta resort with a group of Baptist biddies and one oversexed teenage girl.

Mary Hardin Baylor represent.  My favorite of the Tennessee Williams films. 

• Hook 'Em 1