TCM's 31 Days of Oscar

RPM

Fuck Kevin. This is my thread, not his. He can't have it.

Yeah, TCM has gone thru some changes since Bob died. Some good, some not so much. Noir Alley is great. I do kinda like the new thing of running a cartoon before the movie. Just like the old days.

21 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Thanks to TCM I finally get all those gags I used to see on Bugs Bunny when I was a kid. "Oh, that was Peter Lorre!"

Haha, I'm the same way.

My dvr is getting full of movies I need to watch.  Plus I always watch Sierra Madre, Casablanca, The Hustler, etc., when they come on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Big Memorial Day weekend lineup. Too many great war movies to list them all, but it hits all the good ones, Where Eagles Dare, Kelly's Heroes, From Here to Eternity, Battleground, 12 O'Clock High, They Were Expendable (my personal favorite) and many more. Runs Friday night thru Tuesday morning. Better clear out some space on the DVR.

It's that time again, Memorial weekend war movies on TCM through Monday, as usual featuring Kelly's Heroes on Sunday at 7PM.

There are a bunch of well known great war movie classics on the schedule. But I always like to recommend this much less viewed and lesser known British film that will be aired Sunday morning. Somewhat similar to the Hogan's Heroes TV show, as well as the classic movie Stalag 17 and a peck of The Great Escape, It starts off with a lot of comedy and turns into some pretty intense drama later in the movie. I think it's a great watch. Set your recorder and watch it sometime.

Central time:

The Password Is Courage

TCMHD - 256 Sun, 5/27, 10:30 AM 2 hrs

1962, Drama, Adventure, Action, True Story, War

After he has been captured and left with no other options, a courageous British prisoner of war begins to develop a plot for a daring escape from a Nazi prison camp, a dangerous decision that may wind up claiming his life in the end.

Credits: Dirk Bogarde (Actor), Maria Perschy (Actor), Alfred Lynch (Actor), Nigel Stock (Actor), Reginald Beckwith (Actor), Richard Marner (Actor)

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2018 at 8:30 PM, DougO said:

If TCM was discontinued or stopped hosting non-interrupted movies I would drop DirecTV.

AT&T, but yeah.

Disappointed TCM dropped Tiffany Vasquez. It seems she wasn't well liked by hardcore fans who though she made too many mistakes. She came across as sincere. After Robert Osborne died, I hoped she'd have a larger role. To me, Ben Mankiewicz is smug and arrogant. When he started in 2003, he was condescending. At least he got over that to a degree. Hard to believe I've been putting up with him for fifteen years.  

But as someone mentioned, it's about classic movies without interruption.

I think Mankiewicz--especially early on--was being asked to jazz up the intros/outros and make them more "hip" in an attempt to attract a younger audience. Osborne was the gold standard of smooth. He knew all of the facts and all of the audience & crew members, down to the assistant key grip. Loved that guy.

I doubt he'd take the pay cut, but Alec Baldwin was so good when teaming up with Osborne for The Essentials that if TMC ever decided to make him a host I think he'd be a runaway hit.

5 hours ago, Stoogey said:

Disappointed TCM dropped Tiffany Vasquez. It seems she wasn't well liked by hardcore fans who though she made too many mistakes. She came across as sincere. After Robert Osborne died, I hoped she'd have a larger role. To me, Ben Mankiewicz is smug and arrogant. When he started in 2003, he was condescending. At least he got over that to a degree. Hard to believe I've been putting up with him for fifteen years.  

I just didn't think she was very good. She was stiff and dry. I like Maniewicz OK, sometimes he's really good, but he throws in too many bad jokes and injects himself into the text too much.

I like Maniewicz just fine. Osborn didn't seem to have a problem with him, so I'm good. Tiffany was OK. Not great, but OK. Eddie Muller is fantastic. Dave Karger gives me a creepy vibe. Probably my gaydar going off. But, the guy knows his stuff. I don't like Alicia Malone. Agree that Alec Baldwin would be fantastic as a full time host, but he's not going to consider that as long as his career is still going strong. Will settle for his current contributions for now.

I thought Tiffany Vasquez was awful. Mankiewicz at least knows movies. She seemed like she was just reading from a script without really knowing what she was talking about, and the sound of her voice grated on my nerves. I don't get how anyone finds Mankiewicz "smug," "arrogant," or "condescending." I think he does a good job of informing and he seems passionate about the subject matter. 

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

She seemed like she was just reading from a script without really knowing what she was talking about, 

She had a horrible case of "I. am. reading." voice. I always assumed she wrote her own script, which makes it even worse. You have to be conversational. Personally I think she was just too young, but she gave it a good shot and it don't look bad on the resume. She's still with TCM.

No issues with BW. I like him fine.

Agree Muller is fantastic.

Really like those spots with clips and music for the month.

One major problem I have is with that horse faced, Sarah Jessica Parker clone that does those stupid wine commercials. Jesus they are on between every film they show.

Pretty, pretty good night, Comedy Teams. Just watched one of 2 Abbott & Costello movies where they did not act as a team, The Time of Their Lives. Up Next Laurel & Hardy (handshake) in Sons of the Desert, then The Marx Brothers in Monkey Business followed by Martin & Lewis in At War with the Army.

Good night with some serious laughs.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of great trucking movies on. White Line Fever with Jan Michael Vincent and High Ballin' with Jerry Reed & Peter Fonda. 

WLF ranks right up there with Roadhouse and has some pretty good stunts including one with a cabover that I've never seen duplicated.

Skip to 3:24 if it didn't embed right.