TCM's 31 Days of Oscar

RPM

I was peeking in on that, flipping back and forth.

I noticed on tonight's schedule, following the block of moonshine flicks, there are back-to-back dismembered hand horror movies. Been ages since I've seen those.

Edited by DougO

6 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Filmstruck is pulling the plug on November 28, which is a bummer because it was probably my most heavily used streaming service.  Hopefully they toss all of the old TimeWarner/Janus/Criterion films on some other service. 

Damn that was fast. How expensive can a streaming service full of content that you already have be? I thought it would be a money maker.

8 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

A pretty good analysis of the whole deal.  

https://slate.com/culture/2018/10/filmstruck-closing-criterion-tcm.html

It's seems counterintuitive that we can't have stuff like this available on demand in an age where storage is dirt cheap and high speed internet is ubiquitous.  

Damn well that was bleak.

• 2 weeks later...

Ride The High Country is on today at 9:45am. Set you dvr if you have the chance. Randolph Scott's final film. He and Joel McCrae deliver stellar performances. Directed by Sam Peckinpah and regarded as his first masterpiece. It's one of the best westerns ever made, period. 

Supporting cast is strong. Mariette Hartley (debut role), Edgar Buchanan, R.G. Armstrong, James Drury, L.Q. Jones & Warren Oates.

McCrae also has one of the greatest lines in film.  “All I want is to enter my house justified.”

DVR Alert! If you hadn't alread noticed it's Veterans Day weekend and TCM is rolling out some greats. Bataan, Back to Bataan, Bridge on the River Kwai, They Were Expendable and more have already run. Destination Tokyo, Guns of Navarone and The Longest Day are on tap today.

But there is a particularly good one you need to catch tonight that isn't part of the usual holiday stuff. The D.I. - 1957 Jack Webb is the ultimate Marine Drill Instructor on Parris Island and he's not going to let a f'n sand flea keep him from turning you into a lean, mean, killing machine.

Seriously, this was my favorite boot camp film until FMJ. Gunny Hartman probably spanked it to this film. It's Jack Webb at his Jack Webb-iest and that's an underrated treat.

SS.Streetcar.jpgStreetcar Named Desire was on last night.

Some of the best acting in a movie you will ever see.

One of the few movies ever to have been nominated for Academy Awards in all four acting categories, winning three.

Brando, who was incredible, was the only one to not win. The best actor Oscar went to Bogart that year for African Queen. 

Edited by Steamboat1874

On 11/11/2018 at 6:22 AM, RPM said:

DVR Alert! If you hadn't alread noticed it's Veterans Day weekend and TCM is rolling out some greats. Bataan, Back to Bataan, Bridge on the River Kwai, They Were Expendable and more have already run. Destination Tokyo, Guns of Navarone and The Longest Day are on tap today.

But there is a particularly good one you need to catch tonight that isn't part of the usual holiday stuff. The D.I. - 1957 Jack Webb is the ultimate Marine Drill Instructor on Parris Island and he's not going to let a f'n sand flea keep him from turning you into a lean, mean, killing machine.

Seriously, this was my favorite boot camp film until FMJ. Gunny Hartman probably spanked it to this film. It's Jack Webb at his Jack Webb-iest and that's an underrated treat.

I remember seeing this when I was a kid. I especially remember the part about sand fleas. Haven't seen it in ages.

• 3 weeks later...

"Holiday Inn" on TCM right now.  Great flick, "White Christmas" and all that, but  much better written plot than the movie White Christmas, some good likes between Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby, some great little barbs they give each other.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

Ruggles of Red Gap on now. Charles Laughton as a British nobleman's butler that was lost in a bet to an American wild west millionaire. Of course as soon as they get him out west he fits in like the proverbial square peg. Sort of a Beverly Hillbillies in reverse. Very, very funny movie and an excellent comedic performance by Laughton.

Edited by RPM

16 hours ago, phdhorn said:

"Holiday Inn" on TCM right now.  Great flick, "White Christmas" and all that, but  much better written plot than the movie White Christmas, some good likes between Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby, some great little barbs they give each other.

Holiday Inn is one of my all time favorite Christmas movies. it destroys White Christmas (Even Bing Crosby didn't think White Christmas was that good). TCM has been showing it a lot less in recent years due to the PC plague and the black face scene. 

Love Eddie Mueller and Noir Alley.

Too Late For Tears was on this weekend and I had never seen it because it had been lost until Eddie and his film preservation company searched until they found three separate copies of which all three had different titles and restored the film uses bits and pieces from each copy.

Fascinating stuff and a very good movie.

• Like 1

I have a DVD set of film noir stuff with a horrible transfer of Too Late For Tears on it under the name "Killer Bait."   It's a great movie.  Lisabeth Scott and Dan Duryea are the shit.  It's a shame Scott's career was dashed on the rocks due to her being gay.  I think she could have been one of the greats. 

8 hours ago, Continental Op said:

I have a DVD set of film noir stuff with a horrible transfer of Too Late For Tears on it under the name "Killer Bait."   It's a great movie.  Lisabeth Scott and Dan Duryea are the shit.  It's a shame Scott's career was dashed on the rocks due to her being gay.  I think she could have been one of the greats. 

Interesting that when they had the release of the restored film Lizabeth Scott declined the invitation to attend because she hated herself in that movie.

John Landis picked It's a Gift (1934) W.C. Fields. Such a funny movie. Henpecked small town storekeeper (Fields) jumps at the chance to gtfo of Jersey and buy a California orange grove. Sells everything he owns, packs up the family in the worn out old Ford and roadtrip to California with his wife bitching at full volume every step of the way. It's no wonder he drinks. Great closing scene, too.

Fields just operated on another level. He's so subtle and dry, but every move he makes is carefully planned. 

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

What time is Deliverance ?

Also, kinda disappointed in TCM for running an edited version of S&TB. Think I was wrong about the editing. Thought they cut the scene where Sally flips off the cops, but it was later in the movie. They did blurr out Montague County on Buford's car a few times. Kinda puzzling why they'd do that. There is a Montague (mon-tay-guh) County but Buford is from fictional (mon-tuh-goo). Don't think a little piss ant county is going to raise much of an objection unless they wanted a cut of the pie.

Edited by RPM
I was wrong

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...