TCM's 31 Days of Oscar

RPM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, RPM said:

FHTE is very good, but They Were Expendable and The Best Years of Our Lives are better.

They are all terrific, but BYOOL is kind of in its own category. FHTE is great because it has the babes and the macho assholes, macho cool cats, and macho crooners.  Total package.  The nurses in TWE are fine, but not the smoke show.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Bob Hope double feature. My Favorite Brunette with Dorothy Lamour, then The Iron Petticoat with Katherine Hepburn. You can skip the latter.

Have always enjoyed Bob Hope movies. Plus the Road to _________ series with Bing Crosby and Lamour.  Never been a big fan of Hepburn but have caught of few of her movies, most recently being The African Queen.

43 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Have always enjoyed Bob Hope movies. Plus the Road to _________ series with Bing Crosby and Lamour.  Never been a big fan of Hepburn but have caught of few of her movies, most recently being The African Queen.

TIP is NOT a good movie. The whole thing was mailed in by everyone involved. It is ultra-cringeworthy.

Sitting here bored, day drinking on my day off and Mighty Joe Young comes on TCM. WTH, nothing better to watch and it's got Ben Johnson. Then I notice during the opening credits is directed by JOHN FUCKING FORD. How did I not know this? Ford is one of my favorite directors, but I had no idea he dabbled this deep with sfx.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Has Almost Famous been on TCM before?

I want to say no. UTC is right that they are showing more modern "classics", but this is a bit newer than the others I've seen. Damn, just checked and it came out in 2000. I guess 21 years is a legit "classic."

I don't know if they are trying to show more modern classics as much as more movies we don't think of as that old are now qualified to be classic. I think the rule used to be 20 years from original release with rare exceptions. It's been 20 years.

Who decides what a classic is besides age of the film? I would assume that there are a lot of movies on TCM that now have a great following that, at the time of release, were not well received.  And, am sure that there were blockbusters back in the day that no one cares for today.

10 hours ago, DougO said:

Has Almost Famous been on TCM before?

This is the first time I’ve heard of it. That’s one of my favorite movies. Anyone who hasn’t seen it should really check it out. Especially if you like 70’s music. Everything about it is great including the soundtrack and the original songs written for the fictional band Stillwater by Nancy Wilson for sure (off the top of my head and I’m not sure who else without looking it up ) The deluxe edition DVD comes with a Stillwater EP.

I don’t suppose they’ll be showing the director’s cut (aka the bootleg cut).

46 minutes ago, RPM said:

David Niven leads an all star cast Around The World in 80 Days. Passepartout!

Loved this movie the first time I saw it as a kid and still do.

Watching it now... Who'd have thought Shirley Macleane could play a smoking hot, Indian chick....  she was hot as shit back in the day.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

I don't mind them showing more "current" movies and they seem to have been doing that a lot more lately. Maybe they are trying to reach a "younger" audience. 

I prefer movies from the late 30's and all through the 40's myself which are almost always B&W.

I also record a lot of movies from Movies TV Network. They show a ton of Noir but must be recordered because of commercials.

16 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I don't mind them showing more "current" movies and they seem to have been doing that a lot more lately. Maybe they are trying to reach a "younger" audience. 

I prefer movies from the late 30's and all through the 40's myself which are almost always B&W.

I also record a lot of movies from Movies TV Network. They show a ton of Noir but must be recordered because of commercials.

They are. The folks who like black, and white movies are dying out.  The son, a very bright kid otherwise said he hates black, and white movies, with the possible exception of Strangelove.

Watched the end of Almost Famous last night.  Love the way that the music and the final 5 minutes or so "prove up" the theme of the movie -- how a stupid piece of music can make you crazy.  And then they seal the deal by kicking into "Feel Flows" - a song I don't remember hearing prior to seeing the movie.

Damn, the scene of the kid fingering through the record collection.  The rite of passage in the 70s - having access to your older siblings record collection. 

2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Damn, the scene of the kid fingering through the record collection.  The rite of passage in the 70s - having access to your older siblings record collection. 

I remember filling in the grooves of my older sister's Monkee's album with her nail polish. I stole her Magical Mystery Tour. At least she had some tiny inkling taste.

27 minutes ago, RPM said:

I remember filling in the grooves of my older sister's Monkee's album with her nail polish. I stole her Magical Mystery Tour. At least she had some tiny inkling taste.

That’s bogus, dude. Hell, I own The Monkees Greatest Hits on CD. They had some great songs. And stealing someone’s Beatles album is just cruel.

Also, I bought Blue by Joni Mitchell because it was one of the albums William’s sister left him. I already owned Court and Spark but I wasn’t familiar with Blue. It’s a great album. His sister had good taste.