TCM's 31 Days of Oscar

RPM

11 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Pretty hot takes on what's considered one of the 5 best movies ever made

By whom? Do you let other people tell you what’s good or do you decide for yourself? I’ve never heard Vertigo rated as a top 5 film of all time. I wouldn’t put it in the top 5 of the Hitchcock catalog let alone of all time cinema. Not even remotely close. 

13 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

By whom? Do you let other people tell you what’s good or do you decide for yourself? I’ve never heard Vertigo rated as a top 5 film of all time. I wouldn’t put it in the top 5 of the Hitchcock catalog let alone of all time cinema. Not even remotely close. 

It comes in just after the first 4 Fast and the Furious movies

On 6/28/2021 at 6:36 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

It is nowhere near as bad as Marnie.

I think it is the worst Hitchcock film of all time.

• 1 month later...

It occurred to me yesterday that I haven't watched a movie on TCM in quite some time. Seems like it has been sorta lame lately. The few good movies are ones you've seen a zillion times and the rest is the whatever lame statement of the week.

1 minute ago, DougO said:

It occurred to me yesterday that I haven't watched a movie on TCM in quite some time. Seems like it has been sorta lame lately. The few good movies are ones you've seen a zillion times and the rest is the whatever lame statement of the week.

It has been kinda lame. Way too much color going on.

• 4 weeks later...

Never knew how much I like Wyler movies.

Saw Dead End and with additions of thinking highly of Best Years of Our Lives, Little Foxes, The Letter and Dodsworth.  Big Country was a good band and an ok movie.  There's some I resist seeing due to perceived cloyingness such as Wuthering Heights, Roman Holiday and Mrs. Miniver and a general annoyance in watching Barbra Streisand in Funny Girl.

What good Wyler movies am I missing?

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 9:13 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

It is nowhere near as bad as Marnie.

Vertigo is a great film.  It's not as good, in terms of being an enjoyable movie, as just about all the Hitchcock films I've seen, including Marnie - which is fucking great.

Maybe it's Kim Novak's fault, or Jimmy Stewart's.  But it's almost certainly my fault.

Dave Kehr wrote in The Chicago Reader that while the film was "universally despised on its first release, Marnie remains one of Alfred Hitchcock's greatest and darkest achievements" as "theme and technique meet on the highest level of film art."[24]Richard Brody wrote in The New Yorker that he considered it "Hitchcock's best film."[25] In her 2012 review of the film Emily Cleaver of The Guardian wrote: "The opening shots of Marnie are Hitchcock's ideal of visual storytelling at its purest, and the rest of the film is an underrated gem."[26]

Edith Oliver of The New Yorker called the film "an idiotic and trashy movie with two terrible performances in the leading roles, and I had quite a good time watching it. There is something bracing about Hitchcock at work, even when he is at his worst."[19]

This week's Noir Alley is pretty good. Gloria Grahame, Glenn Ford and Broderick Crawford in Human Desire.

Liked Eddie having Dana Delaney as a guest. He's a good interviewer. On the other hand I've given it some time and I've really come to hate the new TCM interstitial themes and logo. It doesn't fit. There's no nostalgia to it and that's 99% of the reason people watch. Ted's dead. What ya gonna do?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Park Row by Sam Fuller.  Fuller did it all as no studio was interested in journalism's early days. Enjoyed it and it led me to this article where the writer objected to the schmaltz and self-congratulatory AFI list at the time.  I haven't seen half of what's on this guy's list, but do agree that there is some crap on the AFI list at the time (1998), 

list-o-mania

I really enjoyed The Plot Thickens about Bogdanovich when I listened to it last year. The extra interviews with other stars and directors were a great bonus.

The second one really lost me. I made it through the first episode and just never went back. It's hard to get interested in a bad movie that I never cared about, and the kickoff episode didn't do much to convince me otherwise. Maybe I'll give it another shot later.

First two episodes of the Lucy podcast were interesting, but I haven't picked it back up in a few weeks. Been preoccupied with other stuff.

Edited by DougO

5 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

If you have not listened to any of the podcasts called The Plot Thickens with Ben Mankiewicz you are missing out.

The third one is out and is about Lucille Ball. It is fascinating and very well produced.

Just finished it this morning. It was great. Some of the finer details of her life - how she grew up, her career, and her marriage, are painful to hear. I didn't know how much I didn't know about someone that was such a significant player in American television. Including this:

image.png.49c546ff213605643ed7547b9588325c.png

Lucy green lit "Star Trek" when the executives at Desilu were telling her it would be too expensive to produce and a sure failure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DougO said:

I really enjoyed The Plot Thickens about Bogdanovich when I listened to it last year. The extra interviews with other stars and directors were a great bonus.

The second one really lost me. I made it through the first episode and just never went back. It's hard to get interested in a bad movie that I never cared about, and the kickoff episode didn't do much to convince me otherwise. Maybe I'll give it another shot later.

First two episodes of the Lucy podcast were interesting, but I haven't picked it back up in a few weeks. Been preoccupied with other stuff.

This was me exactly.

Did not really listen to number 2 adter the first episode.

I am about halfway through Lucy and love it (no pun intended).

You are spot on about the first one.

It was cool to hear John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart cuss. Ha!

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2021 at 11:23 AM, DougO said:

Boy, that's about me, although I think the 2nd clearly made me a bit more reluctant to get into the Lucy one. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Great Escape just started.

If you release sheep into a new pasture they’ll all make a beeline to the tallest grass. You release goats and they first investigate the perimeter fence.

When they arrive at the prison camp everybody heads to the bunks except McQueen, James Garner, Charlie Bronson and a couple of others. Hadn’t noticed that before. Nice touch 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

The Great Escape just started.

If you release sheep into a new pasture they’ll all make a beeline to the tallest grass. You release goats and they first investigate the perimeter fence.

When they arrive at the prison camp everybody heads to the bunks except McQueen, James Garner, Charlie Bronson and a couple of others. Hadn’t noticed that before. Nice touch 

Good POW double feature following The Bridge Over River Kwai.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...