TCM's 31 Days of Oscar

RPM

3 hours ago, DougO said:

Then after that is the original 3:10 To Yuma, one of my top five all time westerns, criminally underrated, amazing performances by Ford, Van Heflen and a great supporting character cast.

The reason 3:10 To Yuma is so damn good is it's an Elmore Leonard story. Gave Ford and Heflen something to work with.

Right turn, Clyde! Watching Every Which Way But Loose and while I like the movie, I have mixed feelings about TCM running it. Sure it came out in '78, but it doesn't feel like a "classic movie". I wish they would stick to pre-'75 films. That seems like a pretty good cutoff point, imho.
Scanning ahead I saw they have Steel Magnolias and A League of Their Own playing.

John Frankenheimer's The Train starring Burt Lancaster coming up in a few minutes at 7. Really good WWII flick that they don't seem to air very often.

Birdman of Alcatraz at 9:30, followed by Gypsy Moths at 12:30.

Looks like my evening is pretty well set.

Edited by DougO

1 hour ago, DougO said:

John Frankenheimer's The Train starring Burt Lancaster coming up in a few minutes at 7. Really good WWII flick that they don't seem to air very often.

Birdman of Alcatraz at 9:30, followed by Gypsy Moths at 12:30.

Looks like my evening is pretty well set.

Won't watch the Birdman Of Alcatraz. Lancasters portrayal of Robert Stroud is 100% fucking fake, and a fabrication of reality. Stroud was a complete and utter useless POS that was never anything remotely like the person Lancaster portrayed him as.  It'd be similar to having Tom Cruise play Charlie Manson as a lovable, if misunderstood curmudgeon.   

Space Sci-Fi night. Caught part of 2001. Really good 1969 John Sturges movie starting next, Marooned. Gregory Peck, Gene Hackman, Richard Crenna, David Janssen. The story is about 3 astronauts trapped in orbit and the rescue mission to save them. Released just 4 months after Apollo 11 and won the Oscar for visual effects. Marilyn Lovell said this movie gave her nightmares. This was 5 months before Jim launched on Apollo 13.

Edited by RPM

TCM is airing Star Wars on Tuesday night. I wonder which version they are going to show, probably the last HD Lucas remaster version. Seems a shame to host it on TCM and it not be the actual original theatrical version, pre-tampering.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Watching Anatomy of a Murder from a couple nights back. Gotta love Jimmie.

Yeah, I watched it 1 1/2 times this week. They showed it a couple of days apart, had not seen it before. Good flick. Jimmy makes a good country trial lawyer.

IMHO the Judge is the best character. 

For the benefit of the jury, but more especially for the spectators, the undergarment referred to in the testimony was, to be exact... Mrs. Manion's panties.
I wanted you to get your snickering over and done with.

Errol Flynn night and one of his best performances is on, The Dawn Patrol. A 1938 remake of a 1930 Howard Hawks film with the same name that starred Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. The story follows a WW1 fighter squadron and the aerial sequences are awesome. David Niven is fantastic as Flynn's wingman.

I watched The General last night (had it recorded).  One of Buster Keaton's best, supposedly.  I thought it was pretty damn good.  I'm surprised at some of the stunts he did, and I mean he actually did the stunts himself, no camera tricks.  Several LOL moments, several Holy Shit moments. 

source.gif

EuphoricPeriodicConure-small.gif

tumblr_pey00bJgj21qdqpe6o1_500.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the recorded Friday Night College Football movies from last week.

Horse Feathers - Marx Brothers - 1932

Hold That Line - Bowery Boys - 1952

Interesting look at college football during those times.

Some good laughs.

The pre-show is originating from here...https://www.cfbhall.com/

Pretty cool looking place.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:18 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Won't watch the Birdman Of Alcatraz. Lancasters portrayal of Robert Stroud is 100% fucking fake, and a fabrication of reality. Stroud was a complete and utter useless POS that was never anything remotely like the person Lancaster portrayed him as.  It'd be similar to having Tom Cruise play Charlie Manson as a lovable, if misunderstood curmudgeon.   

I have it on good authority that that Lancaster didn't really cuddle with Deborah Kerr near Schofield Barracks as portrayed in from Here to Eternity, at least just prior to the real attack on Pearl Harbor.

3 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I have it on good authority that that Lancaster didn't really cuddle with Deborah Kerr near Schofield Barracks as portrayed in from Here to Eternity, at least just prior to the real attack on Pearl Harbor.

Yeah obviously you haven't seen the film, and or  don't know what R. Shroud was really like. Lancasters portrayal of a real life person was 180 degrees from the reality of a POS. But hey go ahead and compare fictional characters to real life biographies.  

Begs the question, Did you break 800 on your SAT's ?  I mean as a total....

23 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah obviously you haven't seen the film, and or  don't know what R. Shroud was really like. Lancasters portrayal of a real life person was 180 degrees from the reality of a POS. But hey go ahead and compare fictional characters to real life biographies.  

Begs the question, Did you break 800 on your SAT's ?  I mean as a total....

Yes, in fact I did.

Plus, I can spell.