Texas vs. ou: Big 12 Tournament

Schnitty3

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think we might have played ourselves out of hosting. RPI is down to 20 and we have a losing record against top 50 RPI teams.

The one thing this team consistently does well is get me hopes up and then crush them.

Screen-shot-2010-11-19-at-11.25.55-AM.pn

6 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think we might have played ourselves out of hosting. RPI is down to 20 and we have a losing record against top 50 RPI teams.

The one thing this team consistently does well is get me hopes up and then crush them.

Take a look at our last 40 games instead of our last 2. 

Woof. Talk about a championship hangover. 

Not since at least 2001, and probably further just based off limited research at work, has the big 12 champion not hosted a regional. Probably going to be 14-16, but think Texas should be fine. 

On the other hand, however, not sure how many of those teams already had 20 losses heading into regionals, or an rpi outside of the top 20 (in 2017 all 16 hosts were rpi No. 17 or better, Texas being 18 or 19 and shipped off to California)

makes for an unsettling next few days of waiting. But still give Texas a 90% chance 

47 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I thought the coaching strategy was sound and the correct move to make a run at it. Just didn’t hit well enough. But after we lost game 1, I wanted out. We don’t have the depth this season. 

Team plays better when they are doubted anyway. 

Then this team should play lights out then.

Win the Big 12 Conference -  check

Pierce named Coach of the Year  check

Clemens named Player of the Year. Check

Lose first two games in conference tournament  Check

Host regional    Uh...probably

Lose first two games in regional      Hell, I hope not.....that would really suck.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hosting show Sunday or Monday evening?

Regional site selections for the 2018 NCAA Division I Baseball Championship will be announced at 9 p.m. Eastern time, Sunday, May 27, via ESPN’s Bottom Line. The 64-team bracket will be announced during a selection show on ESPNU at Noon Eastern time, Monday, May 28.

• Like 1

Just now, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Regional site selections for the 2018 NCAA Division I Baseball Championship will be announced at 9 p.m. Eastern time, Sunday, May 27, via ESPN’s Bottom Line. The 64-team bracket will be announced during a selection show on ESPNU at Noon Eastern time, Monday, May 28.

But, akin of previous seasons, Sunday night will be just the locations, correct? Not the seeds 1-16?

11 minutes ago, X-Wing @Aliciousness said:

But, akin of previous seasons, Sunday night will be just the locations, correct? Not the seeds 1-16?

Just the regional locations will be announced Sunday, the full bracket and seedings owill be announced on Monday.  

Just in case

Beer and wine will be sold this year in general seating at the College World Series and Women’s College World Series through a one-year pilot program, the Division I Board of Directors decided last week.

This year’s events will mark the first time alcohol will be available to the general public at an NCAA championship. In order to approve the pilot program, the board members waived the rule prohibiting such sales at Division I championships.

Both TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska, home of the College World Series, and the ASA Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City, which hosts the Women’s College World Series, were selected because each venue has hosted NCAA championships for some time, and the staffs at those events are familiar with Association policies.

Alcohol sales first were permitted in club seats and premium seats at the College World Series in 2013. Both venues are equipped to sell alcohol and do so at other events. The waiver came with some restrictions: Beer and wine will be sold, but not liquor. Sales will take place at concession stands only, not by roving vendors. Sales will be limited to the final championship sites only, not regionals or super-regionals.

Part of the impetus for the decision came from school reports that indicated once they started selling alcohol at events, alcohol-related incidents declined sharply. Theories suggest that making alcohol available in the stadium prevents incidents of binge drinking before events and discourages people from attempting to bring outside alcohol into the venue.

NCAA staff will work with law enforcement in Omaha and Oklahoma City to monitor alcohol-related incidents at both venues in order to compare this year’s statistics with prior years. That information will be provided to the board members to inform decisions on the future of alcohol sales at championship events.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

27 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

We absolutely deserve to host, come on. The last 11 years the 2nd best RPI conference champion has hosted. 

The difference in conference RPI between the BIG12, ACC and American Athletic is pretty insignificant.  Looking at the RPI rankings right now, I'd say the current top 11 are locks and Maybe Minnesota and NC State as well.  That doesn't leave too many host sites up for grabs.

32 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The difference in conference RPI between the BIG12, ACC and American Athletic is pretty insignificant.  Looking at the RPI rankings right now, I'd say the current top 11 are locks and Maybe Minnesota and NC State as well.  That doesn't leave too many host sites up for grabs.

The committee has historically rewarded the best team in the 2nd best conference. 

I don't think it's a lock that we host but we would be the first team in 12 years to not host as the conference champion in the 2nd best RPI conference. I only looked at the last 11 years so I have no clue how far it actually goes back. 

I find it very unlikely that Texas (the best baseball program ever) is the first team in 12 years that's excluded as a host as the conference champion of the 2nd best RPI conference. 

Edited by texasstrong12

27 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The committee has historically rewarded the best team in the 2nd best conference. 

I don't think it's a lock that we host but we would be the first team in 12 years to not host as the conference champion in the 2nd best RPI conference. I only looked at the last 11 years so I have no clue how far it actually goes back. 

I find it very unlikely that Texas (the best baseball program ever) is the first team in 12 years that's excluded as a host as the conference champion of the 2nd best RPI conference. 

Because you apparently have the data at hand -- How many times in the last 12 years has the "conference champion in the 2nd best RPI conference" not been in the top 16 of the RPI?

17 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Because you apparently have the data at hand -- How many times in the last 12 years has the "conference champion in the 2nd best RPI conference" not been in the top 16 of the RPI?

No clue, I would have to go back and look. I didn't look at RPI. I just figured out who won the conference in the 2nd best RPI conference and then  determined if they got a bid.

From what I remember, there were some teams that didn't have stellar overall records that ended up getting bids. No clue how that corresponds with RPI though. 

I'll look later this weekend. I'll have to go back and figure out where each team finished in terms of RPI. 

Edited by texasstrong12

29 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

or went 0-2 in the conf tourney?

59 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I haven't looked at this closely enough but the first example that came to mind was Oklahoma State in '14. I only remember this example because Texas and Tech had a legitimate claim as hosts. 

On selection day Texas was #12 in RPI and Tech was #17 in RPI. Neither team hosted. Oklahoma State ended up hosting at #18 in RPI. Texas finished 5th in the Big 12, Tech finished 4th in the Big 12 and Oklahoma State finished 1st in the Big 12. They rewarded Oklahoma State because they won the Big 12. 

I think generally speaking, the committee does value RPI but I don't think there's a doubt that winning the 2nd best conference also plays a role in their evaluations. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I haven't looked at this closely enough but the first example that came to mind was Oklahoma State in '14. I only remember this example because Texas and Tech had a legitimate claim as hosts. 

On selection day Texas was #12 in RPI and Tech was #17 in RPI. Neither team hosted. Oklahoma State ended up hosting at #18 in RPI. Texas finished 5th in the Big 12, Tech finished 4th in the Big 12 and Oklahoma State finished 1st in the Big 12. They rewarded Oklahoma State because they won the Big 12. 

I think generally speaking, the committee does value RPI but I don't think there's a doubt that winning the 2nd best conference also plays a role in their evaluations. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NCAA_Division_I_Baseball_Tournament

Texas hosted in 2014 

Went thru A&M, Rice, Houston finishing 3rd in Omaha after losing to NCAA champ Vandy 4-3 (10inn) in the semifinals.    It still hurts.  

Our chances of hosting are excellent but it may be close.

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

We win the first conference championship in 7 years and it takes 2 games to get back to "Pierce is a fraud". 

We made it longer than I expected. 

You posted on the old site long enough to know who Tailleur17 is. Don't waste your time.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

I think our only saving grace after this OKC shitshow is that the whole state of Texas is really only locked in for one regional---Lubbock.  Most other years with competitive bids from UH, Rice, DBU, A&M, Baylor, TCU, et. al...we'd be screwed.  I think we still get it because of the lack of regional presence.  But yeah, not nearly as excited as I was after leaving the Disch last Saturday.