Texas vs. ou: Big 12 Tournament

Schnitty3

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Kingham only threw 87 pitches coming off a full weeks rest. Could have gone much deeper in this game if needed. 

Like it or not it's fairly obvious Pierce isn't going to extend arms in this tournament. 

Does anyone think he should?

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Does anyone think he should?

I think some were expecting Pierce to go balls to the wall trying to win the Big 12 tournament. So far it's been anything but that. Started our midweek guy in game 1 and then a short leash on our best starter. 

I'm totally fine with that if we have fresh arms for a regional. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think some were expecting Pierce to go balls to the wall trying to win the Big 12 tournament. So far it's been anything but that. Starting midweek guy in game 1 and then a short leash on your best starter. 

I'm not totally fine with that if we have fresh arms for a regional. 

Yeah, I dunno.  Our pitching is so sketchy to begin with, I'm not really sure what we should be doing.  I fear a tournament rotation is going to be a complete shit show.

I can see trying to get some of the younguns some exposure on a semi-big stage before regional, which I think might explain yesterday.

Edited by TwiceHorn

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I dunno.  Our pitching is so sketchy to begin with, I'm not really sure what we should be doing.  I fear a tournament rotation is going to be a complete shit show.

Pitching has been pretty good since the 9 day break after the Tech series. Only given up 2 runs, 2 runs, 2 runs, 3 runs, 3 runs, 3 runs and 3 runs in the 7 games following that long break. 

This is also why Pierce is probably being conservative with arms. Seems fairly obvious to me we started pitching better after that long break. Fresh arms. 

Edited by texasstrong12

7 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Are we for sure hosting a regional no matter what happens? Because that's important given how well we've been playing at home compared to on the road.

From everything I’ve heard and seen, yes. 

21 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think some were expecting Pierce to go balls to the wall trying to win the Big 12 tournament. So far it's been anything but that. Started our midweek guy in game 1 and then a short leash on our best starter. 

probs a reference to me.  I think there's a balance to strike.  everyone needs and more than a week off isn't exactly a great way to roll into the tourney either.  there's a balance, I don't think Pierce has found it the last two days.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The pitching has been good enough to win though. You need to preserve arms if you want to win the tournament, I think to the contrary he was positioning his staff to try to win this tournament. The offense has struggled though.

Edited by Valmy77

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The pitching has been good enough to win though. You need to preserve arms if you want to win the tournament, I think to the contrary he was positioning his staff to try to win this tournament. The offense has struggled though.

I don't see it.

Preserving arms is key in a tournament setting which is why you would never pull someone like Kingham at 87 pitches. Once you burn an arm like that you ride them deep into games because you are going to 1) need the bullpen in other games and 2) probably some of those other bullpen arms to start a game or two. 

Maybe Pierce thought he could win game 1 with his midweek guy to set up the rotation in the winner's bracket? Who knows. I think if we needed the auto-bid Kingham would have absolutely started game 1 and he certainly wouldn't have been pulled at 87 pitches unless he was really struggling.