The Offer (Paramount+, April 28) - Dramatization of Making of The Godfather

atomheartbevo

THE OFFER is based on Oscar®-winning producer Albert S. Ruddy’s extraordinary, never-revealed experiences of making “The Godfather.” The series stars Miles Teller as Albert S. Ruddy, Matthew Goode as Robert Evans, Juno Temple as Bettye McCartt, Giovanni Ribisi as Joe Colombo, Dan Fogler as Francis Ford Coppola, Burn Gorman as Charles Bluhdorn and Colin Hanks as Barry Lapidus.

I kind of want to watch?

Edited by atomheartbevo

• atomheartbevo changed the title to The Offer (Paramount+, April 28) - Dramatization of Making of The Godfather

The making of The Godfather is a great story and worthy of being a movie itself, but this trailer is a little underwhelming to me. I’ll definitely watch, though. 

Coppola was hell bent on making the movie outside of Hollywood with his Northern California production company and the studio honchos were freaked out someone was going to change the framework of the industry. There’s tons of rumors of crew members attempting to sabotage production, including the editor purposely editing scenes terribly so that executives would come in and fire Coppola for poor directing skills, and so on.  Carlo being cast to appease the mob and get their blessings, etc.. it’ll be interesting to see how far they go with details and accuracy. 

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I ended up binging all three available episodes last night.

Huge fucking mistake, because now I've got to wait until Thursday, and it'll probably only be one episode a week.

Yep, just finished the first three and can't wait for more.

At some point we need to have a discussion about the French girlfriend, because holy shit...

Pin on Animated_GIFs

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Yep, just finished the first three and can't wait for more.

On 2/2/2022 at 10:30 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Ribisi as Joe Colombo has a lot of potential. 

I wasn’t familiar with Colombo

Spoiler

So the fact that the movie production is playing out at the same time as actual gangland violence involving Colombo is pretty interesting.   

The cast is just killing it.  And some of the characters are more interesting in real life than they appear to be in the series. 

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I wasn’t familiar with Colombo

Reveal hidden contents

So the fact that the movie production is playing out at the same time as actual gangland violence involving Colombo is pretty interesting.   

The cast is just killing it.  And some of the characters are more interesting in real life than they appear to be in the series. 

Joe Colombo was a pretty interesting guy. He basically founded the Italian American Civil Rights League to oppose FBI/police surveillance. He also had his soldiers/associates picket the New York FBI office. 

On 4/29/2022 at 11:36 PM, atomheartbevo said:

It’s become “spot the Band of Brothers” alumni.

I read this post before starting watching so I had my eye out.

Saw Hanks (minor BOB character but still counts), and recognized Wild Bill but probably wouldn't have if I hadn't been looking.  

Who else?  Was Perconte one of the Colombo bodyguards?  

Also, this show is fabulous.  I was going to let my subscription to Paramount plus lapse, but every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

I read this post before starting watching so I had my eye out.

Saw Hanks (minor BOB character but still counts), and recognized Wild Bill but probably wouldn't have if I hadn't been looking.  

Also, this show is fabulous.  I was going to let my subscription to Paramount plus lapse, but every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in.

Hanks was an easy one to spot. I think you’re right about the Perconte actor being in the Colombo crew.  Guarnere as Sinatra was another easy spot, and I also caught Toye & Liebgott playing FBI agents talking to Al after an incident in the show. I’ll be curious to see which ones I’ve missies so far. The English playing Evans is killing it. 

6 hours ago, Not a cat said:

5 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

Hanks was an easy one to spot. I think you’re right about the Perconte actor being in the Colombo crew.  Guarnere as Sinatra was another easy spot, and I also caught Toye & Liebgott playing FBI agents talking to Al after an incident in the show. I’ll be curious to see which ones I’ve missies so far. The English playing Evans is killing it. 

That's the 5 I had for sure, and then I thought I spotted a few of the more minor BoB actors, but I would have to go through it again.

1. Hanks
  2. Perconte as one of the Colombo bodyguards
  3. Guarnere as Sinatra
  4. Toye as FBI
  5. Liebgott as FBI

I had just rewatched a couple of episodes of BoB recently, 

Also Lou Ferrigno has aged extremely well, almost didn't recognize him even though he's in almost every episode.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Giovanni Ribisi is great as Joe Columbo too.

This show is on my list to check out and I will soon but Ribisi is one of the most underrated actors ever. His range for looking the way he does is fucking stupid.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

goode should win an award. the voice…is almost freaking me out. 

No kidding. The real Robert Evans was damn near a walking caricature, so it would be very easy and tempting for an actor to overdo it with “RobertEvansness,” but Matthew Goode is almost understating it, and it’s a hell of a performance.

14 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

this has a 41% critic rating and 92% audience rating on RT.  pretty big difference.

Wtf.  This type of historical story about Hollywood is usually catnip to critics.  Plus it's very good.  That 41 critic score makes no sense.

26 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

No kidding. The real Robert Evans was damn near a walking caricature, so it would be very easy and tempting for an actor to overdo it with “RobertEvansness,” but Matthew Goode is almost understating it, and it’s a hell of a performance.

7 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

So far, so good. It's going to send me down the rabbit trail to see how much of this is based on truth and how much is complete fiction.

You couldn’t make Robert Evans up if you tried.  I mean, if a writer created a character with the following wives, you’d think it was total bullshit:

• Sharon Hugueny
  • Camilla Sparv
  • Ali MacGraw
  • Phyllis George
  • Catherine Oxenberg
  • Leslie Ann Woodward
  • Victoria, Lady White

That 1-2-3 of MacGraw, George, and Oxenberg is amazing, especially given that they were at their prime.  

it doesn't need to be said, but if you haven't seen "the kid stays in the picture", it's required viewing if you give a shit about this time period or evans' role in saving paramount (while producing love story, the godfather, chinatown, etc).  they used the recordings of his audio book reading to essentially have him narrate the documentary.

funny thing, is that if you've read "high concept", then you get to hear about paramount being saved, again, in the early 80's, by don simpson, against the backdrop of chicks, blow, and fancy cars.  not sure why paramount is always the dame tied to the railroad tracks, but they are.

my first job was an internship while i was still in college (1997) and it was for alan ladd, jr's production company on the paramount lot.  was about the coolest shit ever to walk onto a studio lot every day, even for just an internship.

• Hook 'Em 2

Some random thoughts: 

- Ribisi’s voice is distracting. I understand he’s going for it, but I can barely understand him. 
- Alex Rocco (Moe Greene) was probably a Winter Hill associate before going straight. He and James McLean probably whacked Georgie McLaughlin for hitting on Rocco’s girlfriend. This set off the Boston Irish Gang War of the 1960s. Extremely violent. Over 60 bodies. 
- Lenny Montana (Luca Brasi) did some collections before becoming an actor.

- James Caan was tight with Carmine Perisco and Mush Russo. Both bosses of the Colombo Family. 

On 5/6/2022 at 10:18 AM, Not a cat said:

So how factual is this story?  Without spoilering, thinking about the scene in episode 4 with the owner of the house.  If so, holy shit.

I don't know if that scene reflects actual history, but so far everything I've googled has either been what really happened, or it was dramatized in a very reasonable way to reflect what really happened.

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I have not.

Well that makes sense, then.

as i said earlier, go watch "the kid stays in the picture".

also i'm pretty sure when evans went broke, nicholson paid off his debt so he could stay in his house.

and the next docuseries should be about the making of the cotton club.  crazy shit.

Edited by henrygandorf
  • Hook 'Em 2