Kansas V. Texas - Game Thread

Wally Pryor

16 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

still not think they're starting to figure it out?

I’m becoming more convinced. I’m still scratching my head at how we won. We scrapped that one out for sure. Thank god for Timmy Allen because we couldn’t shoot worth a shit tonight. It’s amazing we scored 79 shooting that poorly. Amazingly we outrebounded them. I thought we were doomed we gave up 35 when we forced 8 first half turnovers. Great win.

Now I wanna go 2-2 versus our remaining ranked teams. Go 2-1 in the others. Finish 22-9 (11-7), grab a 4 seed, outside shot at a 3. 

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We werent (and arent) on the bubble

5 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Bubble? That win put us on the 4 line according to lunardi

I see some people haven’t been discussing the team on Surly. We dedicated 3 pages to bubble discussion already. 

This is the atmosphere and the win that I've been looking forward to ever since Beard started pulling in players from the portal. Early season blowouts of directional schools was underwhelming, losses were worrisome, but we had glimpses. Oklahoma, Stanford, a few others. Dominating Iowa State it seemed like things were finally clicking, and then tonight...damn. Helluva fight and clutch performance. Great coaching in the last minute, clutch FTs, badass crowd, and our team BELIEVES. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Admittedly, I’m not a basketball offensive expert, but I have to say that the shit that we were running most of the night - attacking a lot of the time and not just fucking around for 30 seconds - seemed to work a lot better.

How about we do that from now on? Very nice win. 

Edited by Victor Lazlo
  • Hook 'Em 2

I gave Timmy Allen grief because he looked like ass against Tech. But the last two games he has brought it.  Great great game tonight.  I stand corrected.

The MVP for me though was Christian Bishop. He was looking to take over all game. Very active on the glass. Great energy and confidence.  10 boards!  And some really important free throws. Every game he is looking better.

Tre Mitchell is still on my shit list however.  Clanged 3 after clanged 3.  He is so skilled in the paint but my goodness, kick the ball around on the perimeter homie!

Beard keeps shrinking the roster.  Askew, Disu and Febres got fewer minutes. Cunningham also had a light night.  Love that Beard will play the hot hand.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Hence the "almost." At least for me. But you do you.

If we lose in the first round of the tournament again I'm not going to be looking back at this win saying, "At least we beat KU at home!" 

But yeah, you do you back atcha.

That's 3 wins in a row against Kansas for the first time any Big 12 team has done that since Iowa State pre 2000s. I'd trade all three for a Sweet Sixteen. In a heartbeat.

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I gave Timmy Allen grief because he looked like ass against Tech. But the last two games he has brought it.  Great great game tonight.  I stand corrected.

The MVP for me though was Christian Bishop. He was looking to take over all game. Very active on the glass. Great energy and confidence.  10 boards!  And some really important free throws. Every game he is looking better.

Tre Mitchell is still on my shit list however.  Clanged 3 after clanged 3.  He is so skilled in the paint but my goodness, kick the ball around on the perimeter homie!

Beard keeps shrinking the roster.  Askew, Disu and Febres got fewer minutes. Cunningham also had a light night.  Love that Beard will play the hot hand.

Allen was the MVP but yeah Bishop and Allen and a dash of Carr won that game.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Agree with all of it. Bishop is really starting to show some things 

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

If we lose in the first round of the tournament again I'm not going to be looking back at this win saying, "At least we beat KU at home!" 

But yeah, you do you back atcha.

That's 3 wins in a row against Kansas for the first time any Big 12 team has done that since Iowa State pre 2000s. I'd trade all three for a Sweet Sixteen. In a heartbeat.

Again, thus the "almost."

You wanna bully your opinion, that's up to you, but beating KU always feels extra special to me because they are one of the blue bloods.

Agree 100 percent on getting back to the Sweet 16, though. Any tournament win at this point would feel great, even better than this, but I'm gonna savor the shit out of tonight ... at least until Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

we finally fucked over Kansas on some crazy ass banked 3. They even got the usual WTF OOB call and it still didn't matter.

I keep seeing comments about Tre Mitchell's banked in 3. In the last 6 games Tre Mitchell has gone 4 of 15 from BTA. Three of those were banked in, against Oklahoma State, Iowa State, and now Kansas, all at home. It feels like lately the only way he can make them is by banking them in. 

Go back and watch Allen's game-winning shot - took the pass from Carr just inside the stripe, elevated and knew from the moment it left his hand the ball was touching nothing but net. 

As a team that struggles offensively, it's in desperate need of a reliable player in crunch time. Carr has shown some signs but hopefully this is a big step for Allen down the stretch. On a big stage tonight he went 11 for 17 from the floor and seemed to be confident that all 17 were going in. Good sign for a team that can use all the offensive help it can get.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Fuck kicking the ball around the perimeter. That leads to bad shots and turnovers. Have confidence and shoot the ball. Most of those shots were wide open in rhythm. Much better shot than having Askew or Cunnigham hold the ball and do nothing or turn it over penetrating. 

Just now, SL Xpress said:

I keep seeing comments about Tre Mitchell's banked in 3. In the last 6 games Tre Mitchell has gone 4 of 15 from BTA. Three of those were banked in, against Oklahoma State, Iowa State, and now Kansas, all at home. It feels like lately the only way he can make them is by banking them in. 

yep.  I chortled when it happened.  "there it is, right on time, Mitchell banked 3"

Just now, Wally Pryor said:

Go back and watch Allen's game-winning shot - took the pass from Carr just inside the stripe, elevated and knew from the moment it left his hand the ball was touching nothing but net.

Well said! That shot was on for Timmy all night, and the moment he rose to take it, my heart jumped with happy.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Again, thus the "almost."

You wanna bully your opinion, that's up to you, but beating KU always feels extra special to me because they are one of the blue bloods.

Agree 100 percent on getting back to the Sweet 16, though. Any tournament win at this point would feel great, even better than this, but I'm gonna savor the shit out of tonight ... at least until Saturday.

Who's bullying their opinion? I'm excited about the win for sure. It's a big deal. The crowd was into it, and it's nice to see that rewarded. These are the types of games that help reset the basketball program narrative at a time when Chris Beard is trying to change the apathy. 

I'm also completely shocked they were able to keep up with KU in a high scoring game, at least high scoring for a Texas win. It's just a great win overall. Great for seeding. Great for the program. Great for me as a fan. But we were in this spot last year, too, with a much more talented team, that ended up losing to Abilene Christian. As a fan I absolutely need a tournament win. So when you talk about this as equivalent to a second or third round tournament win, yeah, it's going to trigger me a bit. Don't know how that is bullying my opinion, but, hey, we've already established we can both do each other, so to speak. 

21 minutes ago, jinx said:

I see some people haven’t been discussing the team on Surly. We dedicated 3 pages to bubble discussion already. 

We were bubble before the tenn win, off the bubble after isu, and hopefully not going back there now. Regardless, it can always turn back around

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Who's bullying their opinion? I'm excited about the win for sure. It's a big deal. The crowd was into it, and it's nice to see that rewarded. These are the types of games that help reset the basketball program narrative at a time when Chris Beard is trying to change the apathy. 

I'm also completely shocked they were able to keep up with KU in a high scoring game, at least high scoring for a Texas win. It's just a great win overall. Great for seeding. Great for the program. Great for me as a fan. But we were in this spot last year, too, with a much more talented team, that ended up losing to Abilene Christian. As a fan I absolutely need a tournament win. So when you talk about this as equivalent to a second or third round tournament win, yeah, it's going to trigger me a bit. Don't know how that is bullying my opinion, but, hey, we've already established we can both do each other, so to speak. 

You need to write all this all because you chose to ignore one word: almost.

But this is Surly, so be as dickishly ignorant as you want, my dude. Ain't gonna kill my buzz.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Let’s call it 4 straight by including the conf tourney Covid cancellation because it will tick them off even more, and might technically be true. 

9 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

You need to write all this all because you chose to ignore one word: almost.

But this is Surly, so be as dickishly ignorant as you want, my dude. Ain't gonna kill my buzz.

No one's trying to kill your buzz. You wrote something. I had a reaction to it. Everything after that has been a silly back and forth. Enjoy the win. I know I am. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

image.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

This is a game that they would have lost in previous years...this was a poor shooting night but they protected the ball better, made their free throws, and made plays in crunchtime while Kansas did none of that.

It's one thing to have a hot shooting game like vs. Iowa State and win easily. But to shoot 41% from overall and 15% from three and still win shows how good this team can be

• Hook 'Em 3