Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Maybe that's it.  Kim realizes her husband is going to bank on the scamming of Howard.  The scam works, Saul gets paid, and then Kim scams Saul.  She could be the biggest fraudster of all.

Something definitely clicked for her when she and Jimmy did the first scam on the guy in the restaurant, way back.    I don't recall exactly the scam, but it got the endorphins kicking for her and she has been 'in' on most of Jimmy's shenanigans since.

Gotta hand it to them.  Prequels always have a built-in disadvantage when it comes to the suspense factor, given that you know where characters end up later in life.

Adding Kim to the equation gave us a character we care deeply about and whose outcome we know nothing about.  Bang: legit suspense.

18 hours ago, Augustus said:

Gotta hand it to them.  Prequels always have a built-in disadvantage when it comes to the suspense factor, given that you know where characters end up later in life.

Adding Kim to the equation gave us a character we care deeply about and whose outcome we know nothing about.  Bang: legit suspense.

Same with Lalo. His name was basically just a throwaway line in BB and they built one of TVs most interesting and capable villains in TV history.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

22 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

The weird Kim-Jimmy scam on Howard-Cliff isn't really landing with me. I guess I need to re-watch last season to get the background, but at this point I'd take more cartel-Nacho-Fring and less Kim-Jimmy.

I don’t get Jimmy-Kim hate.  I probably forgot something but seems like Howard done nothing to warrant it and actually tried to help both of them at times.

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

I don’t get Jimmy-Kim hate.  I probably forgot something but seems like Howard done nothing to warrant it and actually tried to help both of them at times.

I've struggled fully understanding the hate but Jimmy has mixed feelings with Howard because Chuck was pulling the strings, via Howard, in holding Jimmy back with HHM. I'm sure there is a scene or two in there that enforce why Jimmy is so mad at Howard but I don't see it.

Howard has actually helped or didn't hold Jimmy back at certain points that Jimmy ignores.

As far as Kim, Howard did treat her like a child at times by moving her office to less desirable places as a punishment. And she's been protective of Jimmy in how he was mistreated at times.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've struggled fully understanding the hate but Jimmy has mixed feelings with Howard because Chuck was pulling the strings, via Howard, in holding Jimmy back with HHM. I'm sure there is a scene or two in there that enforce why Jimmy is so mad at Howard but I don't see it.

Howard has actually helped or didn't hold Jimmy back at certain points that Jimmy ignores.

As far as Kim, Howard did treat her like a child at times by moving her office to less desirable places as a punishment. And she's been protective of Jimmy in how he was mistreated at times.

Howard always has seemed like a good, stand-up dude. Every employee is going to have petty grievances, but don't recall him doing anything worth some massive plot. I think Jimmy and Kim both have that personality that always seem to project their failures onto others.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is just my opinion but:

There are plenty of reasons for Jimmy to trash Howard's car; the HHM partner constantly belittled Jimmy, stood in the way of his legal career and drove a wedge between the two McGill brothers. However, the reason behind Jimmy's act of ten-pin vandalism goes beyond just the resurgence of an old grudge; like most things in Better Call Saul's recent seasons, Chuck's death is the root cause. Crippled by the guilt and grief surrounding the loss of his brother, Jimmy found solace in becoming Saul - a character that helped Jimmy avoid processing Chuck's suicide. Deep down, of course, Jimmy knows that Saul is a mask, and his brother's death still burns fiercely upon his soul, and this is why he now hates Howard even more - because the successful, perma-tanned "swell guy" has done what Jimmy couldn't.

In season 4's "Breathe," Howard deliberately has Jimmy sidelined from Chuck's will, but is clearly very affected by the entire situation, reacting with an uncharacteristic vulnerability when Kim gives him a dressing down. Later, in "Quite A Ride," Jimmy meets Howard in a court bathroom, and the former king of HHM has fallen considerably, along with the company's fortunes. Howard is riddled with insomnia, seeing a therapist, and no longer representing the most lucrative clients. Although Jimmy shows concern, it's clear when he rips up the therapist's contact card that he feels he has "won" in a twisted sense. Chuck's death broke Howard, but Jimmy soldiered on with a plastered-on grin and a "s'all good, man." He finally got one over on the great Howard Hamlin.

Of course, while Jimmy might've seemed to be handling the loss better than Howard in Better Call Saul season 4, the roles are flipped in season 5's latest offering. Over the course of their lunch, it's made apparent that while Jimmy is still hiding behind Saul, Howard has made it through the other side of the tunnel. By addressing his grief and seeking help, Howard has recovered as a professional, is back to his usual smarmy self, and now has a drive to be more righteous - offering a job to Jimmy, championing his scholarship pick, hugging him goodbye. All of this new-and-improved Howard is summed up by his pretentious "NAMAST3" plate.

And this is why Jimmy makes such a concerted effort to decimate Howard's car. As Saul Goodman, Jimmy is now financially successful and enjoying the kind of morally ambiguous schemes he always reveled in. But Jimmy is far from over his brother's death, with that pain still bubbling underneath unchecked. Howard's recovery enrages Jimmy far more than professional success or snide comments ever could.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Kim's anger for Howard reminded me of this scene, had to watch it again..

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Jimmy has always been a conniving twat that does fucked up things. Kim has always been a sweet little girl who now, in adulthood, free from her fucked up mother, wants to rebel and Jimmy is her outlet, she pushes him, he guides her. She's in over her head. 

• Like 1

Jimmy has always been a conniving twat that does fucked up things. Kim has always been a sweet little girl who now, in adulthood, free from her fucked up mother, wants to rebel and Jimmy is her outlet, she pushes him, he guides her. She's in over her head. 

At the end of this I will binge the whole series from E1 just like I do with Justified. There is so much in BCS that will be better to understand vs a weekly episode.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

I don't think this is working on Cliff Main.  I think he already suspects, or maybe even knows Jimmy is behind this.  

Begley is fantastic in that role.  That's an interesting suggestion.  I don't know if Cliff's thoughts would take him so far as suspecting Jimmy planted the "cocaine" in Howard's locker.  

I also think a lot of Saul's grievance toward Howard is simply that Howard's sincere character makes him uncomfortable.  Jimmy/Saul does actually have a conscience, he just rationalizes his way through a lot of shitty behavior.  He can't help but feel inferior--deservedly so--when contrasting himself with Howard.  

Given the make/model of the car following Saul, it's gotta be law enforcement.  They deliberately showed us Lalo going south, deeper into Mexico, instead of heading back to ABQ.

• Like 1

A few theories on Kim's hatred for Howard, in no particular order:

1. She doesn't think he's a great lawyer but happened to fall out of the snatch into which HHM's founding partner blew his load. She perceives Howard as carrying around an aura of elitism thinks he acted as a roadblock to Jimmy's law career, despite the clear nepotism that saw him become partner.  Kim views herself and Jimmy as self-made and despises those born with a silver spoon.

2. He pulled her off the Mesa Verde team

3. At the funeral he mentioned to Jimmy that Chuck may have killed himself because of Howard (scene clipped above; incredible performances from both actors.) 

4. IIRC he demoted and "ghosted" her at the office.

I'm sure there are others.  Jimmy seems willing to let Howard be, but Kim's pushing this con.

29 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Begley is fantastic in that role.  That's an interesting suggestion.  I don't know if Cliff's thoughts would take him so far as suspecting Jimmy planted the "cocaine" in Howard's locker.  

I also think a lot of Saul's grievance toward Howard is simply that Howard's sincere character makes him uncomfortable.  Jimmy/Saul does actually have a conscience, he just rationalizes his way through a lot of shitty behavior.  He can't help but feel inferior--deservedly so--when contrasting himself with Howard.  

Given the make/model of the car following Saul, it's gotta be law enforcement.  They deliberately showed us Lalo going south, deeper into Mexico, instead of heading back to ABQ.

I think Cliff Main is definitely onto Jimmy. He snuffed him out pretty quickly when he pulled a George Costanza in season 2 to get himself fired so he could still receive his bonus. I figured that scene with him and the guitar after he finished meeting with the Kettleman’s was him remembering Jimmy playing bagpipes in his office as part of his scheme to get fired.

2 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

I think Cliff Main is definitely onto Jimmy. He snuffed him out pretty quickly when he pulled a George Costanza in season 2 to get himself fired so he could still receive his bonus. I figured that scene with him and the guitar after he finished meeting with the Kettleman’s was him remembering Jimmy playing bagpipes in his office as part of his scheme to get fired.

Quite possible.  Will be interesting to see where it goes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anything bad happening to Kim would be a seriously traumatic event to Saul/Jimmy. And that doesn’t translate to his character in BB.  He’s too happy go lucky.

As said earlier she fucks him somehow, thus the “shattering event”.  Which puts him firmly on his BB path.

15 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Same with Lalo. His name was basically just a throwaway line in BB and they built one of TVs most interesting and capable villains in TV history.

Lalo is almost like a Biazrro World Anton Chigur. really great addition to the show.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bob was Bill's interview on Real Time tonight! i don't think i've ever actually seen him interviewed. pretty funny. 

he never even auditioned for BB/BCS, he never read...Gilligan just offered. that's pretty amazing!

Edited by mchookem

17 hours ago, Horn80 said:

It's one of the weaker subplots in the series.  Howard would take both of them back at HHM now that Chuck is out of the way.  The logical end to that story was Howard blaming himself for Chuck's death while Jimmy smirked and put the kettle on. 

I guess a fitting end would be Kim screws Jimmy out of the nursing home settlement money and rejoins Howard. Jimmy somehow gets revenge by getting her disbarred?

Odenkirk was the interview on Real Time tonight. It didn’t reflect well on Bill that he couldn’t see the format for Mr. Show was inspired by Monty Python. That’s okay but c’mon, Bill. Are you not a Python fan? Still a good interview. I still have all of Mr. Show on DVD. It was only three seasons and only takes up two discs. But it was brilliant. Bob also played agent Stevie on the Larry Sanders Show and he was awesome there too.

8 hours ago, mchookem said:

Bob was Bill's interview on Real Time tonight! i don't think i've ever actually seen him interviewed. pretty funny. 

he never even auditioned for BB/BCS, he never read...Gilligan just offered. that's pretty amazing!

He’s been on Stern a couple of times including a few weeks ago. Very good interviews. 

9 hours ago, mchookem said:

It would have been a weird flex if Gilligan forced him to come in and audition for BCS after BB.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

It sucks that he goes from all this to hiding out in a Cinnabon in Nebraska.

Judging from the events at the end of BB, he was either going to end up in prison or get killed. And we may have disclosure to what happens with Gene in the coming months.

Saul wasn't going to be able to keep practicing "law" and live happily ever after in Albuquerque.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Judging from the events at the end of BB, he was either going to end up in prison or get killed. And we may have disclosure to what happens with Gene in the coming months.

Saul wasn't going to be able to keep practicing "law" and live happily ever after in Albuquerque.

BCS is the only reason he survived BB. 

On 4/22/2022 at 6:07 AM, Horn80 said:

there are very few flaws with this show, but this one is glaring, imo.

it has the purpose and silliness of a sideplot, but it involves the two stars of the show.  whenever they devote serious time to it, i start to get distracted and lose interest.  the nacho/mike/lalo/gus feels like the real show right now and jimmy/saul is a rodeo clown.

made more sense in the earlier seasons when both struggled with their professional directions.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/23/2022 at 2:27 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

I'll admit I never really connected the dots about why Saul needed to run. Maybe i falsely assumed that he at least got close to the edge but was smart enough to not cross any legal or cartel lines, but I guess it is naive to think he could play the innocent bystander on either front. However, anyone recall what specifically he did that might have gotten the ire of either LE or the cartel?

6 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I'll admit I never really connected the dots about why Saul needed to run. Maybe i falsely assumed that he at least got close to the edge but was smart enough to not cross any legal or cartel lines, but I guess it is naive to think he could play the innocent bystander on either front. However, anyone recall what specifically he did that might have gotten the ire of either LE or the cartel?

same.  seems like the people he was most scared of (mike, gus) were dead and walt was far far away (until he wasn't, then he was dead).  i'm sure he could be roped into some uncomfortable legal conversations, but dirty lawyers rep criminals all the time.  seems like he was a likely candidate for a review of his legal license or whatnot, but not sure why he assumes everyone is trying to kill him.

he always seemed like one of those cockroaches - there before all the shit, still there after all the shit.

*i haven't done a rewatch of later seasons bb in a while, so i could be forgetting something.

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

same.  seems like the people he was most scared of (mike, gus) were dead and walt was far far away (until he wasn't, then he was dead).  i'm sure he could be roped into some uncomfortable legal conversations, but dirty lawyers rep criminals all the time.  seems like he was a likely candidate for a review of his legal license or whatnot, but not sure why he assumes everyone is trying to kill him.

he always seemed like one of those cockroaches - there before all the shit, still there after all the shit.

*i haven't done a rewatch of later seasons bb in a while, so i could be forgetting something.

My bet is Saul’s going into hiding wasn’t about protecting himself but Kim for some reason yet to be revealed.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

this tells me you haven't spent enough time watching mr show or larry sanders or any of his other gueststar tv work.

get it together!

having just finished a rewatch of the larry sanders show, this hits close to home.