Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

On 4/7/2022 at 7:37 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:
  Hide contents

Just finished season 5, and I’m surprised that Mike didn’t clean up Sauls car in the desert. He and Fring’s guys knew to clean up the massacre site but not haul the car out of the ravine? Sloppy work Mike. Of course, the car needed to be there for Lalo to discover.

I find belief gaps with the massacre scene. Mike just happened to know exactly where that would occur? Perhaps it was a possible location but low odds Mike would be in the right spot. Poor writing.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:05 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

That whole bit bugged me too.  How did Mike know?  Why leave the car?

I think Mike used the gas cap tracking device introduced earlier in the series, as we see him remove it from Saul’s car after the shootout.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

i'm about 2/3 of the way through season two in my rewatch, and this show is just plain old enjoyable to watch. i've never binged it before now, but it's inherently binge-able. the pace, the tone, the scenery, the writing, the acting- all top notch. now i still think that anyone who says that it's "better" than BB is tripping (if you prefer this show, ok; but to say it's "better"? i just can't see it), but still- it's a great show. not an all time great show, but a thoroughly enjoyable and well-done show.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Hey the plan is brilliant because no bounty hunter would search in a busy shopping mall, especially the guy seen by every shopper. 

My thinking on the cleaner is that he gets openings.. like hey I got this spot with this SS# and this DL# and it's in Paducah but it's gone in the next 2 weeks. Dude has to play with what he gets. 

On 4/10/2022 at 8:36 AM, NorthLoop said:

Oh that's gonna piss Gandorf off

hey i know those guys from another show i liked so now i feel like i'm in on the joke and that makes me feel warm and cozy.

maybe disney can buy amc so thor can wander through during the finale.  that was new mexico too, right?

• Haha 1

yep, just i thought. guys, this show is really good, but anyone who defends this walk through the desert episode as being anything other than moronic, is just plain wrong.

•you don't ration water

•you don't drink your own pee

•and HELLO- you don't travel by day. DUH.

all of this is so out of character for Mike, it's embarrassing. this episode has some great moments in it, but this desert walk is the kind of thing that VG and co. are known for avoiding- going for the theatrical so hard that you eschew all realism. i mean, during their montage of them walking you see them clambering around on jagged, fairly inclined rocks, when they have soft grass all around them. they make it harder on themselves for no reason. every decision they made was the opposite of what they should have done, and it's simply completely unbelievable that Mike Ehrmantraut would ever make these decisions. get butthurt about it all you want, it's the truth. still a great show, but this one missed the mark. 

edit: oh yeah, and Mike shooting a guy driving 50 mph causes the vehicle to flip and roll about 16 times so now they can't use the vehicle. insert ok.gif here. again- disappointing episode (or really half of it), but uh, who really cares. the show is still batting like .950.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Fuck You 1

I'm almost a little disappointed (just a little) that the premier Monday is the first 2 hours.  Of course I want to binge on 2 hours of BCS, but that just means it's going to end that much sooner.  I'm perfectly fine with letting this season stretch itself out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

yep, just i thought. guys, this show is really good, but anyone who defends this walk through the desert episode as being anything other than moronic, is just plain wrong.

•you don't ration water

all of this is so out of character for Mike, it's embarrassing. this episode has some great moments in it, but this desert walk is the kind of thing that VG and co. are known for avoiding- going for the theatrical so hard that you eschew all realism. i mean, during their montage of them walking you see them clambering around on jagged, fairly inclined rocks, when they have soft grass all around them. they make it harder on themselves for no reason. every decision they made was the opposite of what they should have done, and it's simply completely unbelievable that Mike Ehrmantraut would ever make these decisions. get butthurt about it all you want, it's the truth. still a great show, but this one missed the mark. 

edit: oh yeah, and Mike shooting a guy driving 50 mph causes the vehicle to flip and roll about 16 times so now they can't use the vehicle. insert ok.gif here. again- disappointing episode (or really half of it), but uh, who really cares. the show is still batting like .950.

Maybe the cop killer who got a job at the courthouse parking lot doesn't make great strategic decisions.

On 4/15/2022 at 4:59 PM, shadow_operative said:

•you don't ration water

Now tell us about Saving Private Ryan.

I’ve been rewatching the show in preparation of season 6 and was surprised by how much I’d forgotten since seeing it originally. The episode at the season 3 with Chuck’s mental breakdown was so dark and tough to watch. I’d also forgotten how funny the show can be too with scenes like the Squat Cobbler, the talking toilet, and Jimmy making Franchesca small talk his elder law clients on the phone about Cracker Barrell and sunscreen.

• Like 1

if anyone in this thread has an xbox and has never played Far Cry 3, then i highly recommend you get on that shit asap. one of the best xbox games of all time, with a BCS twist. i won't spoil it for you, but seriously- take it from an extremely casual gamer- that game is awesome, and the relation to BCS is just the cherry on top. 

edit: ok i will spoil it for you-

Spoiler

Ubisoft had a vision for their big, main boss/antagonist for Far Cry 3, and they held auditions for the part. Michael Mando not only auditioned, he created his own villain character and auditioned as that guy. the people at Ubisoft liked it so much that they scrapped their own plans and made Vaas Montenegro (Mando's character) the main villain/cover boy. so yeah, in short, a totally psychopathic Nacho Varga (think Tuco's brain in Nacho's body) is the main villain in FC3, which again, is just an all around badass game.

Edited by shadow_operative

I finished a rewatch of last season over the weekend.  I've been pretty lukewarm about BCS over its lifespn, but goddamn Season 5 kicked all kinds of ass.  I think it's because it's getting more involved with the BB universe.  Season 6 is going to bananas.

One thing that jumped out to me this time is how good the writers are at making Gus a master of manipulation.  Just like sending Jesse on drop runs to find a sense of purpose, he sends Mike to the little village to heal not only physically, but also mentally.  Home cooked meals, watching school kids play and laugh, doing some chores around the house, and voila, he's righted his ship and back at work.

And then to create Gus's elaborate, complex, long term plan in support of the simplest of motivations - revenge.

Fucking brilliant.

1 hour ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Explain the safe switcharoo.  Was that planted info to get Nacho killed?

Explain the half scissor.  Did he kill ZZ-Top?  And why?

Yes. Gus is trying to implicate Nacho and distance himself.

Yes. He killed the guy because they looked alike. He also had his dentist "fix" ZZ Top's teeth so that his charred corpse would be identified as Lalo.

• Hook 'Em 3

The kettletits bent over cleavage shot was brilliant fan service. 

Holy shit it's been a long time since I've watched anything live on TV other than sports that had commercials in it. The last hour or so was a fucking beating and a half. DVR only the rest of the season. Not doing that again. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

I couldn’t finish the ep. Not sure whose bright idea it was for a two-hour premiere on a Monday night with commercials. Shit. I struggle to watch the DVR’d recordings of 30-60 minute shows from Wednesdays and Thursdays by the next week. 

33 minutes ago, Apep said:

I couldn’t finish the ep. Not sure whose bright idea it was for a two-hour premiere on a Monday night with commercials. Shit. I struggle to watch the DVR’d recordings of 30-60 minute shows from Wednesdays and Thursdays by the next week. 

DVR it, then start watching 20 minutes later, skip commercials.  Boom.

So I guess Mike did a nice thing my not putting Nacho's dad's ID back in the safe. 

I forgot how overly complicated the schemes can get on this show.  But I guess any Rube Goldberg device with Mrs Kettleman is OK. 

And I'm sure the Kim/Jimmy/Howard topic would be OK on its own, but when it's intermingled with a shootout in the desert with the cousins, it kind of sucked the air out of the episode. 

• Hook 'Em 1