Buck's Barbeque Co.

ChampKind

I just scarfed down a hunk of that meatloaf with the horseradish mashed potatoes. If you haven’t been over to bucks yet, please kick yourself in the nuts.  That meatloaf was special, but then champ was kind enough throw in a couple of pieces of brisket.  I’ve had the brisket there a number of times now, and I’ve said bucks is top 3 for me in the city, and I can say this was the best brisket yet.  I didn’t think that was possible to outdo what he’s been doing, but he has found a way.  Little known secret is you can wash this deliciousness down with a few fingers of rip van winkle 12 year lot b for a totally reasonable price as well.   Makes having to go to the tax office to pay taxes on a new car seem like not such a bad thing.  

Edited by pepper brooks
  • Like 1

Yep, had a visit from Daniel Vaughn yesterday. He was with one of his colleagues from TM, Chris Reid from Houston Chronicle, and Michael Fulmer from Houston Barbecue Festival. I served them everything on the menu and, after they ate, did an interview with DV. He took a bunch of pics and I suspect I’ll get a writeup sometime soon.

eb04dcd00e6902aef795314fa2ed04ec.jpg

• Like 9

Photo dump. These are from houbbq fest.

My crew of helpers:

3ead4b2beb197deb329f8efd92ea593b.jpg

All your pork belly are belong to us:

464807f8dca3eeba2092b3381e8a0589.jpg

Pic taken by Chris Sexton of HooDoo Brown Barbecue in Connecticut:

0c567001db2882f8d32cda4b17fe2ece.jpg

Shrimp etoufee boudin that John Brotherton brought down:

bc4b387e03b31465344a04ebb016720f.jpg

Pic of my brisket taken by Jimmy Ho (@thesmokingho):

28b3c61e19f23c2f2697d0dde7d651e8.jpg

• Like 4

ugh, I am searching for brisket nirvana and can't quite find it at home. 

Champ it looks like you left a decent amount of the cap on over the flat - does that help in your opinion? 

Do you cook or rest it with the cap on top? I never do but starting to wonder if that's a variable. 

is that Monday night schedule still accurate?

Neil's Bahr at 6:00PM?

What is "steak night," and will regular Cue be offered?

i have an event downtown at 7 and was going to swing by.

15 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

No, I’m off on Mondays now

Quitter.  Like you're a damned barber or some shit. LOL

Dude at Neil's gave me the intel. 

I will find another time to get some high quality 'cue.  Enjoy your time off. 

Champ I hate to bug you....starting to panic as my date is closing in. Any chance we can hook up for a couple minutes on phone/email/surly/text before next week? Sorry bud. Never done this before and I need to stick the landing. 

We exchanged some messages just before he ventured into Bucks and got super busy. I'm probably good, just getting nervous as I am getting closer to this cookout. I'm mostly paranoid about holding temps and the risk of getting people sick. We had some discussion/PMs on the scat site about it. Sorry for the interruption, back to your regularly scheduled programming. 

Depending on how long you are planning on keeping it warm before serving, my anecdotal evidence leads me to conclude that it is highly unlikely that you will get anyone sick. 

So how long of a post cook to plate time are you looking at?

44 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

We exchanged some messages just before he ventured into Bucks and got super busy. I'm probably good, just getting nervous as I am getting closer to this cookout. I'm mostly paranoid about holding temps and the risk of getting people sick. We had some discussion/PMs on the scat site about it. Sorry for the interruption, back to your regularly scheduled programming. 

Check your email

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 10:07 PM, ChampKind said:

325ish. All day, errday. Using choice grade CAB briskets in the 14-15lb range. They're about 12lbs when they hit the pit. No Wrapping At All until they're done, which is usually in about 6-7 hours. Everything gets cooked at 325

Notice any difference in the bark at the higher temp?