Buck's Barbeque Co.

ChampKind

Yep. I felt like we were close to the finish line (the busy season) and really starting to build momentum. Just took too long for the locals to embrace us and we didn’t have the resources to survive the rapid drop in revenue. It certainly wasn’t the quality of the food or service. One need only reviews to see that.

Damn...sorry to hear...Champ I’ve had your meat in my mouth at Jackson’s Watering Hole, Pappa Charlies, Bucks BBQ at Great Heights Brewing and at Lucky’s Lodge. Rooting for you and whatever comes next!
Same here. If you can find a place closer to town I'm sure this site alone can keep you going.

Thanks for the comments. This was a very difficult decision to make, we felt strongly that we were on the cusp of blowing up over the busy season. A belief that was shared by many other operators on the island.

But it takes cash to run a restaurant and when your revenues can’t sustain operations, what do you do?

I’d like to thank everyone who encouraged and supported us. There are guys on this board with skin in this game. And it kills me that we can’t make them whole. I gave it everything I had, and came up short.
So sorry to read this. Eating delicious food at Buck's was one of the high points of our trip to the island this summer. All the best moving forward.

Not that champ can’t murder it anywhere, but Pinkertons should be opening in SA this year. So more queue for you. 

Just fuck it and go to Katy. Print the money. 

Three years ago there were two “decent” q joints in Katy. Now there are a half dozen “good” joints in Katy.

I’m almost certainly out of the bbq game (unless I decide to run the pits for someone else)
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, QuesoEspecial said:

Damn...sorry to hear...Champ I’ve had your meat in my mouth at Jackson’s Watering Hole, Pappa Charlies, Bucks BBQ at Great Heights Brewing and at Lucky’s Lodge. Rooting for you and whatever comes next!

Journeyman whooore. ;)

15 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Yep. I felt like we were close to the finish line (the busy season) and really starting to build momentum. Just took too long for the locals to embrace us and we didn’t have the resources to survive the rapid drop in revenue. It certainly wasn’t the quality of the food or service. One need only reviews to see that.

Sure Eddie, how much you need?

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not that champ can’t murder it anywhere, but Pinkertons should be opening in SA this year. So more queue for you. 

Just fuck it and go to Katy. Print the money. 

Supposedly construction begins in February with move-in some time in 2021...and sorry to hear, Champ. Hope you land on your feet.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/0NgLfWLq/houston-based-bbq-restaurant-to-break-ground-in-san-antonio-next-year

Holy shit.  We’re planning our annual trek to Galveston, so I thought I’d get caught up on this thread in preparation.  Talk about a kick in the balls - Champ, so sorry to learn that you’ve closed.  Finally making it to your place was going to be the highlight of my trip.  My young boys would have absolutely have destroyed several Yabba Dabba Do plates.

In the Texas BBQ thread, I asked for help airlifting some Texas BBQ to my best friend, an ex-pat Texan living in San Diego, who was fighting cancer.  Champ stepped in to offer help.  Though we never executed that project, I really appreciated the offer and was really looking forward to meeting him and trying his food in person.

Champ, best of luck and please don’t give up - Texas needs you.

8 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Supposedly construction begins in February with move-in some time in 2021...and sorry to hear, Champ. Hope you land on your feet.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/0NgLfWLq/houston-based-bbq-restaurant-to-break-ground-in-san-antonio-next-year

He’s doing a build out?  Hope it’s someone else cash. Always admired Chi’lantros strategy of moving into failed restaurants. 

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

He’s doing a build out?  Hope it’s someone else cash. Always admired Chi’lantros strategy of moving into failed restaurants. 

I think San Antonio is developing/revitalizing a downtown park where this is supposed to be located. Not sure if he has much control over the build or schedule. I'd imagine there were enticements, but who knows. It's supposed to be bigger than the original in Houston and within walking distance of the downtown hotels.

I think San Antonio is developing/revitalizing a downtown park where this is supposed to be located. Not sure if he has much control over the build or schedule. I'd imagine there were enticements, but who knows. It's supposed to be bigger than the original in Houston and within walking distance of the downtown hotels.

You’re correct. The developer of the project knows what he’s doing and I’m pretty sure has some city money backing him up. Pinkerton isn’t coming out of pocket much/if at all, to build out his space (other than his smokers etc). They’re fetching concepts that are right for the dynamic of the center. Trust me, Pinkerton probably got a hell of a deal, and was able to knit-pick his restrictions as soon as they went to lease.

• Like 3

On 1/16/2020 at 9:18 PM, DCA_HORN said:
On 1/16/2020 at 9:16 PM, QuesoEspecial said:

If you can find a place closer to town I'm sure this site alone can keep you going.

no No NO!!!!  It’s this type of mentality that gets people into these types of situations to begin with...

Your friends like your food, you should open a restaurant.  You drink a lot, you should open a bar.

This site is a tiny sampling of the real world.  And a groupthink one at that.  Basing any business solely on it would be a huge mistake.

• Like 2

It appears that Champ has both  surly approval and everyone elses of his food and menu.

It doesn't sound like his restaurant venture was a masturbatory fantasy, like some are.

Galveston was probably a risk, as was taking over an existing restaurant known for cuisine other than bbq plus, and perhaps with its own slightly vengeful or skeptical following.

Hope it didn't ruin you and ruin you for restaurants.

Well there goes the only reason I would go to Galveston, unless I murdered a woman who was my alibi for another murder I committed and I needed a place to lie low while dressing like a woman as a disguise and while I was in Galveston I dismembered my neighbor and tossed the body parts in the bay. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Well there goes the only reason I would go to Galveston, unless I murdered a woman who was my alibi for another murder I committed and I needed a place to lie low while dressing like a woman as a disguise and while I was in Galveston I dismembered my neighbor and tossed the body parts in the bay. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

no No NO!!!!  It’s this type of mentality that gets people into these types of situations to begin with...
Your friends like your food, you should open a restaurant.  You drink a lot, you should open a bar.
This site is a tiny sampling of the real world.  And a groupthink one at that.  Basing any business solely on it would be a huge mistake.

I been doing this for more than a minute, and I made decisions based on empirical data presented to me. I also made very few changes to what existed before (except improve the quality of the food and level of service).

You remind of a lot of the experts on facebook who know all of my missteps and can identify all the things I should have done. Maybe you and all those FB experts talking our their ass should start your own spot, since you know how it should actually be done.

I sure as fuck don’t. And I actually spent the better part of a year trying to do it. And btw...far more than just my friends and the shaggy folk like my food. Last count, 15 articles written about our food in the last 28 months. That I know of.
  • Like 6

On 1/17/2020 at 7:35 AM, ChampKind said:

Three years ago there were two “decent” q joints in Katy. Now there are a half dozen “good” joints in Katy.

I’m almost certainly out of the bbq game (unless I decide to run the pits for someone else)

Bro, that's bullshit. Let me tell you why.

You are obviously an amazing cook. The shit you were doing down there was exactly what I've always thought should be done with BBQ. BBQ, by itself, is somewhat off putting to many people. Most places serve shitty sides because they can't cook. You're kinda the opposite of that. Your talent is masive, the food you put out is amazing. 

What you do is completely family friendly and marketable. You need an organization to scale, memorialize, and monetize your work. You are the back of the house, the talent. Don't quit. Save every scrap from Instagram, Daniel Vaughan, press clippings, etc. I know you feel like shit and want to quit. But is takes fifteen years to become an "overnight success". 

You need to know what the next step is. And that's scaling up. Prepare to market yourself and your product. You need capital to purchase a location with guaranteed traffic. What capital will want is a unique product to guarantee success and grow the business. You can give them that, and you'll get ownership. 

Being undercapitalized is a bitch, but even worse would be walking away from what you've learned. Take what you've done and leverage it, scale it up. That is the path to success.

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Like 8

The restaurant biz is an unforgiving motherfucker. You can have the best food and crew and still fail. It's like the old real estate saying... location, location, location. I knew a woman that ran basically the same Mexican food restaurant with the same core crew in 3 different locations. Each time when sales began to bottom out, she moved 50 miles and reopened to rave reviews for another 10 - 15 years. It's a fickle business.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChampKind said:

I been doing this for more than a minute, and I made decisions based on empirical data presented to me. I also made very few changes to what existed before (except improve the quality of the food and level of service).

You remind of a lot of the experts on facebook who know all of my missteps and can identify all the things I should have done. Maybe you and all those FB experts talking our their ass should start your own spot, since you know how it should actually be done.

I sure as fuck don’t. And I actually spent the better part of a year trying to do it. And btw...far more than just my friends and the shaggy folk like my food. Last count, 15 articles written about our food in the last 28 months. That I know of.

My comment wasn't directed at you.  It was directed at the poster who thinks a small sampling of like-minded posters from message board in one market would be enough to single-handedly keep a restaurant afloat.  Common mistake for a lot of restauranteurs to think that way.

I'm sure you're rightfully upset right now, but no clue why you're taking any of this out on me.  I haven't said shit to you other than tell you how bad it sucked that you had to close and wished you good luck on whatever your future endeavors were.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

My comment wasn't directed at you.  It was directed at the poster who thinks a small sampling of like-minded posters from message board in one market would be enough to single-handedly keep a restaurant afloat.  Common mistake for a lot of restauranteurs to think that way.

I'm sure you're rightfully upset right now, but no clue why you're taking any of this out on me.  I haven't said shit to you other than tell you how bad it sucked that you had to close and wished you good luck on whatever your future endeavors were.

Right or wrong, your post did come off as chiding Champ about masturbatory restaurant fantasies, which do exist.  You're right on that one.

I imagine Champ feels doubly bad about having "let down" his investors.  Can't speak for them, but presumably everyone involved went in with their eyes open.  The investors put in capital, Champ blood, sweat, and tears.  I hope that doesn't deter him from future ventures.

robin-williams.jpg?w=500

No more than anyone else involved, at least.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Right or wrong, your post did come off as chiding Champ about masturbatory restaurant fantasies, which do exist.  You're right on that one.

Miscommunication I guess.

Now tell me more about these masturbation restaurants that exist.  Asking for a friend.

• Like 1

Bro, that's bullshit. Let me tell you why.
You are obviously an amazing cook. The shit you were doing down there was exactly what I've always thought should be done with BBQ. BBQ, by itself, is somewhat off putting to many people. Most places serve shitty sides because they can't cook. You're kinda the opposite of that. Your talent is masive, the food you put out is amazing. 
What you do is completely family friendly and marketable. You need an organization to scale, memorialize, and monetize your work. You are the back of the house, the talent. Don't quit. Save every scrap from Instagram, Daniel Vaughan, press clippings, etc. I know you feel like shit and want to quit. But is takes fifteen years to become an "overnight success". 
You need to know what the next step is. And that's scaling up. Prepare to market yourself and your product. You need capital to purchase a location with guaranteed traffic. What capital will want is a unique product to guarantee success and grow the business. You can give them that, and you'll get ownership. 
Being undercapitalized is a bitch, but even worse would be walking away from what you've learned. Take what you've done and leverage it, scale it up. That is the path to success.
I wish i could rep this more than once.

21 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Galveston always has and always will suck. Coastal Bend por vida.

As a resident of the coastal bend, I second this opinion.  What bbq there is down here is most definitely is not as good as what Champ was producing.

That’s fair. I’m a bit sensitive at the moment bc there are a lot of experts out there who want to tell me I didn’t do enough marketing, or didn’t secure enough capital, or had the wrong concept, or whatever. I’ll apologize for the meltdown and withdraw from further commentary. Nothing left to say about it.
  • Like 6

Yea, I don't think Lando was being mean spirited at all. Great cook, bad location that's under capitalized is ripe for failure in the business. Sorry but that's the truth.  Been in the business for 20 plus years. Nearly 50 locations in 3 about to be 4 states not one franchised.  We've never had a write up just great business acumen from our President and a decent enough concept.  Please note, I"m not the President just the VP of Operations.

I'm in Houston twice a month, love to buy a beer and spitball with any of you assholes.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ChampKind said:

That’s fair. I’m a bit sensitive at the moment bc there are a lot of experts out there who want to tell me I didn’t do enough marketing, or didn’t secure enough capital, or had the wrong concept, or whatever. I’ll apologize for the meltdown and withdraw from further commentary. Nothing left to say about it.

Dude, you were working a very niche menu in a small market with rebellious locals. The deck was stacked. I honestly think if you reopen in Houston you will prosper. You need a larger market unless you want to revert to slinging halfass $4 sandwiches in bulk. You have the cred.

Edited by RPM

Champ, your menu is amazing and you're an insanely talented person. Between this and Harvey, the universe has told you no twice. I think that has less to do with you and more to do with timing outside of your control. If you want to take a step back and reevaluate, that's totally understandable. But if you ever want to throw yourself back at the universe one more time, I'll always go out of my way to be a customer.

Best of luck, Champ. Keep us in the loop.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Yea, I don't think Lando was being mean spirited at all. Great cook, bad location that's under capitalized is ripe for failure in the business. Sorry but that's the truth.  Been in the business for 20 plus years. Nearly 50 locations in 3 about to be 4 states not one franchised.  We've never had a write up just great business acumen from our President and a decent enough concept.  Please note, I"m not the President just the VP of Operations.

I'm in Houston twice a month, love to buy a beer and spitball with any of you assholes.

Torchys or wut 

1 hour ago, Errestaurants said:

I would never tell any of you assholes. No way in hell. My inbox would be full of asking for free food and complaints.  

That's it.  I'm going to have to yell "muledick" every time I go out to eat until I find you.

• Like 1