Buck's Barbeque Co.

ChampKind

On 1/14/2020 at 4:02 PM, pepper brooks said:

wait a minute....WTF?  It appears all is well, a walk in dies and it's curtains for good the next day?  I'm so sorry, Champ.  I know you put your heart and soul into this thing.  I'm shocked this is happening with all the positive press, awards, accolades, etc and lack of any edible bbq down there before you moved in.  Keep us updated. If you get to cooking back in town I am there.  

Yes I am confused also. I took it as the walk-in had died and they would just be closed until they could get it repaired or replaced. Now Im seeing all these condolences as if it's permanent?

I didn't know whether it was some surly hucksterism or what.

On 1/19/2020 at 7:39 AM, Incredulity said:

It’s obviously easy to be an expert from the outside.  But this^^^^

Take some time get your head right and then apply what you have learned here.  Sounds purely like a capital shortfall, that can be fixed.

No shame in taking your shot and missing.

Yep, most people don't have the balls to pursue their dream.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 6:07 PM, ChampKind said:

That’s fair. I’m a bit sensitive at the moment bc there are a lot of experts out there who want to tell me I didn’t do enough marketing, or didn’t secure enough capital, or had the wrong concept, or whatever. I’ll apologize for the meltdown and withdraw from further commentary. Nothing left to say about it.

The sensitivity is very understandable.  When I closed my restaurant, which I built myself from the ground up, I was attacked by everyone including multiple slam jobs in the local paper.

Fuck em all champ. You know you put your heart and soul into it.

13 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Hate to see any quality operation go down like this.  I would suggest coming out to SoCal and opening up a place in this BBQ wasteland -- you could practically print money out here IMO.  But I know that's just a BBQ wet dream on my part, so I will simply wish Champ the best of luck in all his future endeavors.

Probably have to have already printed some money to even begin opening anything out there, which seems to have been the primary issue here

• Like 1

With the rise of "ghost kitchens" for delivery, I wonder if that would be a viable route. It would cut the overhead tremendously and Champ has the cred to build a new customer base. Whatever he chooses, I hope he knows Surly is behind him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RPM said:

With the rise of "ghost kitchens" for delivery, I wonder if that would be a viable route. It would cut the overhead tremendously and Champ has the cred to build a new customer base. Whatever he chooses, I hope he knows Surly is behind him.

Damn now that’s an idea 

18 hours ago, RPM said:

18 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Damn now that’s an idea 

Is there really a rise in that though?  I wasn’t sure what it was so I googled it and saw some stuff that would indicate they are struggling.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Is there really a rise in that though?  I wasn’t sure what it was so I googled it and saw some stuff that would indicate they are struggling.

I was just going by the Chron story that was posted the other day. That's my only reference.

I’m off social media (except for twitter and this forum), so if someone else could lend an assist with the Jim Leeper dude that would be appreciated.

And its very important to maintain the tradition of Dozier’s. Changes will be largely limited to improving the cook process and the quality of the end product. We may offer some new, updated sides at some point. But that’s about it

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, kt-horn said:

Make sure to invite the head guy from the Katy/Ft Bend foodies facebook group, Jim Leeper, out to eat. His group has over 39,000 people. If he likes your meats he will get the word out.

Also that Daniel Vaughn guy.  Invite him...he has a list going that you should get on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChampKind said:

Thanks. Just a clarification...I didn’t take over anything except assuming the role as GM and pitmaster. There are new owners (as of April 2019), and I’m just a hired gun who was brought in to get them caught up with the rest of the bbq world. I’m looking forward to getting back to old school bbq and letting someone else worry about the ownership stuff

congrats Champ, seriously. glad you are still in the game!

3 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Thanks. Just a clarification...I didn’t take over anything except assuming the role as GM and pitmaster. There are new owners (as of April 2019), and I’m just a hired gun who was brought in to get them caught up with the rest of the bbq world. I’m looking forward to getting back to old school bbq and letting someone else worry about the ownership stuff

This is great news!  We used to have a ranch west of Fulshear and would stop at Dozier's all the time back in the late 70s early 80s.  Great to hear you'll be manning the pits and putting out great BBQ there!

Edited by dcbc

Champ, have you cooked on an Oyler?  Do BBQ masters consider them an artist’s tool or is it a more commercial convenience?
An Oyler can put out some good bbq and one that can be left unattended for an overnight cook. Not sure about how it does a hot-n-fast style that Champ may like.

An Oyler can put out some good bbq and one that can be left unattended for an overnight cook. Not sure about how it does a hot-n-fast style that Champ may like.

I had to turn in my hot/fast card. Oyler only knows low and slow. But there’s more than one way to skin a cat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

best news I've seen all week. I've had the pleasure of meeting / talking with Champ many times and he's damn high quality people. As soon as I get over this corona lite flu, im headed over to katy 

Stay at Lackland, you corona virus carrier. 

• Haha 1