Buck's Barbeque Co.

ChampKind

• 2 weeks later...

This should be an interesting week. I have reason to believe that Buck’s will be the subject of a texasmonthly.com article sometime this week. I have a photo shoot with them this afternoon. So there’s that.

Friday this week will be butterfinger brisket day (in addition to meatloaf and all the other good shit I cook). I may even do some beef ribs to celebrate. Celebrate what, you ask? Oh...just me being the awesome guy I am. (Totally joking...I just feel like cooking beefers)

• Like 8

Bummed I am missing the butterfinger brisket. I'll be in town the last weekend of June, so I will try to swing by that Friday.

Hit me up a couple days before and let me know when you are coming. I’ll do some butterfinger brisket

I'm happy you got a write up but didn't like the way he wrote about your brisket. Maybe because I'm a fellow high heat convert. Sounds like he either didn't get a great serving, or has pre-determined beliefs about how brisket should be cooked and had some confirmation bias working. I've never had your brisket obviously, but I highly doubt you serve "mushy" points based on pictures and past evidence, as well as board testimonials. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Well deserved, Champ.  I happened to be there the same day the author was there.  I have to strongly disagree with his brisket take, or maybe disagree isn’t the word.  I think i have a different opinion on it.  Champ cut me some brisket from the same one as the writer.  I have to say it was perfect. I am one who loves a ton of smoke in my brisket so while his point about the smoke and coals overpowering may technically be valid as there is some serious smoke on it, I would say that is a great thing. It’s one of the reasons I hold champs brisket way up with the best of the best in Houston, and frankly anywhere at this point. He’s honed his craft. That brisket is moist tender and full of smoke. It’s perfect for what I like in brisket.  Those beams are so damn good. They sort of taste like having a t-man from Bert’s. He puts some brisket in them, the pico and spices. Damn they’re good. Glad to see Champ getting some well deserved and earned praise. If you haven’t been over there you’re missing out. “Get at him”.  

• Like 1

I'm happy you got a write up but didn't like the way he wrote about your brisket. Maybe because I'm a fellow high heat convert. Sounds like he either didn't get a great serving, or has pre-determined beliefs about how brisket should be cooked and had some confirmation bias working. I've never had your brisket obviously, but I highly doubt you serve "mushy" points based on pictures and past evidence, as well as board testimonials. 

Daniel is known to prefer lean brisket. And even with the diss on my moist brisket, he came with a strong take on the lean (and everything else in general). I’m pleased with this piece.
  • Like 2

Nice write up. Need to figure out how to get to East downtown during lunch hours

Fans of the Butterfinger brisket, Buchanan’s famous creation

Fake news

I txted NOMMMAAAAAAAAAAA the link and told him I made him famous. Sort of. DV wrote what he wanted to write, despite what I might have said to him.

Its all good. I just made the butterfinger brisket famous, even though someone else created it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Hey go fuck yourself. I look at anyone that I'm serving who asks for lean like they have three heads 

I was born and raised in Austin, Texas and have lived here my entire life. My family owned and operated a BBQ restaurant for a decade while I was growing up.

And I've always preferred lean. When brisket is properly cooked, the lean is moist, tender, and delicious. Not sure why anyone WOULDN'T want moist, tender, and delicious brisket?

I mean, I understand avoiding the lean from places that don't know how to cook brisket, but that's certainly not the case at Buck's-- where I had both the lean and fatty, and both were great!

• Like 1

[mention=286]ChampKind[/mention]--what time do you start serving lunch at Lucky's tomorrow?  I'm seeing a couple of different things (one place says 11 a.m., while another says 3 p.m.).  Also, is tomorrow Butterfinger Brisket day?

Lunch service is 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. Starting tomorrow that is extended to 9:00 pm.

And yes, butterfinger brisket is tomorrow. I have 3 working. They will probably only last until 1:00 or so.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChampKind said:

Lunch service is 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. Starting tomorrow that is extended to 9:00 pm.

And yes, butterfinger brisket is tomorrow. I have 3 working. They will probably only last until 1:00 or so.

Looking forward to it.  Will definitely get there before 1.