Buck's Barbeque Co.

ChampKind

20 hours ago, relapse98 said:

I think the raw meat cost for beef ribs is also a lot higher. And the cook and customer both pay for a bone that just doesn't serve any edible purpose, whereas the only waste on a brisket is any trimmed fat and shrinkage.

19 hours ago, Mack Tripper said:

Nope, they are usually a loss leader or very little margin. 

19 hours ago, ChampKind said:

If I wanted to maximize my margins I would exclusively serve proteins like prime rib, turkey, sausage, and tri tip. Because there is no weight loss when cooking.

Beef plate ribs cost more than double what brisket does. And is nearly a 50% weight loss. Yet I sell it for the same price as brisket.

18 hours ago, luke duke said:

lol4

Please show me your math on that one.

18 hours ago, utee94 said:

No kidding.  If that were the case, then every BBQ joint in Texas would be selling the heck out of beef ribs morning noon and night, instead of limiting them to once or twice per week like a lot of places do.

17 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Good to know...and sorry to have hit such a nerve.  I've clearly never run a BBQ joint.  I've had a couple different restaurant managers tell me that the "bone in filet" is a scam and for the most part, the bone in any steak is just a way for restaurants to over charge you for added weight that you're not consuming.  I just assumed the beef rib in the BBQ world was something similar.

That said, I stand by the fact that the difference in taste between a good piece of brisket and a good piece of meat from a beef rib is very slight...at least everywhere I've been.  I guess we can all agree to disagree on that part.  But I'm not the only one who thinks that I can assure you.

We're all good, Lando, I certainly don't find your questions or opinion offensive or anything like that.

Personally, I taste a pretty big difference between proper brisket, and proper beef rib.  Just as I taste a pretty big difference between a ribeye, and a filet.  All of them are beef, but none of them share the same flavor, or texture. 

I don't consider beef rib to be "better" than brisket, it just has a more intense beefy flavor, and the texture is not the same.  So given that, for me the question becomes one of value, rather than taste.  I like brisket just as well as beef rib, and it's certainly less expensive.  Some days I'm great with just brisket, and other days I crave that intensely beefy goodness that is a beef rib.

And some days I say, Why Not Both?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

We're all good, Lando, I certainly don't find your questions or opinion offensive or anything like that.

Personally, I taste a pretty big difference between proper brisket, and proper beef rib.  Just as I taste a pretty big difference between a ribeye, and a filet.  All of them are beef, but none of them share the same flavor, or texture. 

I don't consider beef rib to be "better" than brisket, it just has a more intense beefy flavor, and the texture is not the same.  So given that, for me the question becomes one of value, rather than taste.  I like brisket just as well as beef rib, and it's certainly less expensive.  Some days I'm great with just brisket, and other days I crave that intensely beefy goodness that is a beef rib.

And some days I say, Why Not Both?

Yeah you’re right...we’re saying the same thing.  Perhaps “taste difference is negligible” was the wrong choice of words.  And yes, some days I say why not both too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I want one of those brontosaurus bone ribs. Where the hell do I buy one of those? Am I understanding that is a 3 bone plate rib? 

Yup. Like Champ said, the cut is called "123A."  Down here lots of places know what you want when you ask for plate ribs or short ribs off the plate, they'll automatically bring you that 123A cut.  

Up where you are, you might have to find a reliable (or teachable) butcher to get it right for you.  Where do you go to get brisket packers?  If they know that cut (rather than market-trimmed or even separated flats like you get in the northeast), then it's possible they understand beef ribs as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

It's kinda like chicken thigh vs. chicken breast to me.  Maybe not that wide, maybe thigh versus drumstick. 

26 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It's kinda like chicken thigh vs. chicken breast to me.  Maybe not that wide, maybe thigh versus drumstick. 

Yeah good analogy.  The difference for me, though, is that the thigh and drumstick are generally similarly priced.  However, the rib to brisket price difference is generally pretty vast.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yup. Like Champ said, the cut is called "123A."  Down here lots of places know what you want when you ask for plate ribs or short ribs off the plate, they'll automatically bring you that 123A cut.  

Up where you are, you might have to find a reliable (or teachable) butcher to get it right for you.  Where do you go to get brisket packers?  If they know that cut (rather than market-trimmed or even separated flats like you get in the northeast), then it's possible they understand beef ribs as well.

I usually get my packers from RD. They are hit or miss as to whether they have beef ribs in stock but when they do, it's not the bronto ribs, it's what I guess are the regular short ribs, cryod pack of I think 3 or 4 racks. 

There is a Polish market not too far with a legit butcher who carries the short ribs, as well. That might be my best shot. Though, pricier than RD. 

went to get a beef rib today with the special lady friend.  no joy.  champ is off in Chicago trying to win some bbq cook off.  

Sorry bud. Tried to get the word out as best we could via social media. I’m back in action this Wednesday.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ldogg53 said:

Neglected to post this from a couple weeks ago. And I guess Pepper Brooks and I are changing places. I’m now up at Greenspoint so lunch downtown is pretty much out of the question.

23be63f7b1e4282e4116659a69bf2c88.jpg

how was the angioplasty?

On 7/16/2018 at 4:50 PM, Ldogg53 said:

Neglected to post this from a couple weeks ago. And I guess Pepper Brooks and I are changing places. I’m now up at Greenspoint so lunch downtown is pretty much out of the question.

23be63f7b1e4282e4116659a69bf2c88.jpg

Ldogg likes the sausage

I usually get my packers from RD. They are hit or miss as to whether they have beef ribs in stock but when they do, it's not the bronto ribs, it's what I guess are the regular short ribs, cryod pack of I think 3 or 4 racks. 
There is a Polish market not too far with a legit butcher who carries the short ribs, as well. That might be my best shot. Though, pricier than RD. 
RD should have them or should be able to get them for you.

Stay tuned for some interesting news later this week. Hint: it involves further expanding our operating hours at Lodge.  Until then...I'm back from Chicago and am posted up at Lodge from 11am to 9pm every day for the remainder of this week (through Sunday).

Stay tuned for some interesting news later this week. Hint: it involves further expanding our operating hours at Lodge.  Until then...I'm back from Chicago and am posted up at Lodge from 11am to 9pm every day for the remainder of this week (through Sunday).

What was up in Chicago? I’ve been here since Monday and Imma be pissed if I missed you.

PS still enjoying your Blackstar