2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

@Beau Vine pour one out for YMLA tonight. 

YMLA offensive coordinator Jeremy Williams was named Sam Houston head football coach and boys athletic director, San Antonio ISD announced Monday.

Williams coached at YMLA since its inaugural season in 2020 and returns to Sam Houston, where he was a defensive coordinator from 2018-19.

“Sam Houston and the East Side has some of the best athletes in San Antonio,” Williams said in a news release. “We definitely know the standards of the past. We want to raise that bar, get back to the football playoffs and go a couple of rounds deep.”

Williams replaces Quincy Stewart, who left the program earlier this year. The Hurricanes were 5-9 in two seasons under Stewart.

Sam Houston hasn’t made the playoffs since 2018, the first year Williams was there.

Williams, who becomes a head coach for the first time, is also looking to build the other boys programs at Sam Houston, including basketball, which last made the UIL state tournament in 2014. The Hurricanes’ boys soccer team qualified for the postseason for the first time this season.

IMG-7036-2-B.jpg 

Hey, @Fletch, guess what wifey gets this week? That's right, her second state championship ring. It really should be the third but w don't want to be greedy. 

Thanks for your message. I don't want any more Chaps to go to Texas cause it's too much of a clown show.  Take care. 

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 2

@Fletch and @blacklab, wifey just got her 2nd State Championship ring presented to her! We really should go back and get the 2019 one, as well.

These rings will forever remind us of our plucky, undermanned, underdog teams that everyone else disrespected. They should really make a movie about it.

Look how the new ring shines in almost heavenly glow. Or maybe I added that. Last year's had BACK TO BACK on the side plus our name. This year, it's THREE PEAT, plus name.  It really is the triumph of good vs evil, especially when we played LT.

IMG-5740.jpg  

Precious.jpg

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 3

High School football related...  The trend of QR codes on jerseys is making an appearance at a Georgia high school.

High school team bringing QR codes to their jerseys

DOUG SAMUELS   MAY 18, 2022

We saw UCF applauded for their innovation in featuring QR codes on their spring game jerseys earlier this year.

Well, now that trend is hitting the high school level, with a bit of a different purpose.

Conor Foster and his Cartersville HS (GA) program got Nike Vapor Pro jerseys created with a custom QR code for each senior. When that code is scanned with your phone it will display the player's recruiting information.

We understand the seniors will be wearing the special jerseys during their scrimmage tomorrow.

Defensive line coach Mike Candela shared with FootballScoop that they will be releasing some more information in a video later this evening via the @CHSHurricanesFB Twitter handle.

Of course, Cartersville has churned out NFL talent like quarterback Trevor Lawrence, running back Ronnie Brown, and defensive tackle Andre Fluellen and have Power Five programs swinging through all the time. 

Take a look at these, and be sure to tune into their social media for more information later tonight.

cartersville-qr.webp

cartersville-hs-ga.webp

• 2 weeks later...

My Decatur buddy said off-season workouts under the former CS coach are like nothing his kid's ever been through before, and they brought in a 2025 running back thats supposedly going to be a national recruit.

Expectations are high in Wise County 

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Not football, but only in the Coastal Bend does High School baseball get Friday night like crowds.

Sinton is a machine this season. 

Used to be the same when Moody-Calallen went head to head. Best area for high school baseball in the state without question. 

PS… Sinton recruits like crazy. Say it ain’t so, Adrian Alaniz

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Used to be the same when Moody-Calallen went head to head. Best area for high school baseball in the state without question. 

PS… Sinton recruits like crazy. Say it ain’t so, Adrian Alaniz

I was at the first Moody- Calallen series for the Region title at Whataburger Field.   The atmosphere was  far more electric than last night for this game.  Moody's fans were loud and proud, but they haven't had much to cheer about lately.   Both of those teams had several players with D1 and even MLB talent so that was part of the setup.   With last night's matchup, Sinton had 6 or 7 who fit that profile.  Calallen had 1 who is going to aggy and after that, the talent level wasn't the usual.

I've heard that same take about Sinton and recruiting particularly with this years team having a few studs who were going to Gregory Portland until they got to high school.   

• 2 weeks later...

Might be an issue this year...

Issues with helmet outfitters causing a panic among coaches

Coaches are taking to social media to try and find helmets to outfit their guys while helmet manufacturers shut down, and limit ordering opportunities

DOUG SAMUELS       JUN 15, 2022

It feels like the COVID pandemic is largely over in most places around the country, but there are still plenty of lingering effects and some of them are causing coaches to panic a bit.

With the supply chain interrupted and a lot of companies short staffed, everything from our beloved game day coaching gear, to uniforms, and even helmets are being impacted.

Earlier this year, sources shared with FootballScoop that Nike shut down orders on one of their mid-level jersey offerings, even refusing to fill a newly placed order from a major city school district located on the west coast prepared that was prepared to place a large $2 million uniform order to outfit schools under their umbrella.

We were told Nike refused to fill the order because it came it after they made the call to shut down those types of orders for the year. (Imagine being the salesperson that lost out on that commission).

There was a short window for some programs that took a bit of luck to get your order to through, but the catch was that you had to order Nike's top-of-the-line uniform offering that was significantly more expensive.

Coaching clothing has had a lot of stock issues as well, with all the major brand companies suffering from low stock, backorders, and sales people with very little clarity on when new stock will be arrive.

While frustrating, those are pretty minor when you consider that coaches across the country are finding themselves about to hit a crisis point in regards to helmets. 

Obviously, helmet availability has direct implications to player safety. 

Follow enough coaches and you'll start to see messages like this from concerned coaches scrambling to fill their helmet needs.

From what coaches have shared, a number of helmet reconditionings were taking much longer than the process has been in the past with some helmets sent back at the end of the fall and coaches hadn't gotten them back by the time school was getting out for the summer.

Riddell shut down orders on at least two of their entry-level helmets (Speed Icon - $369.99 per helmet and Speed Classic Icon - $349.99 per helmet) a few weeks ago, and had a short window for programs to order the SpeedFlex version (sticker price $469.99) before schools essentially had to order the SpeedFlex's with the data tracking (around $550.00) embedded OR their brand new Axiom helmet that requires a custom fitting and carries a $750 price tag per helmet.

For a lot of programs, $500+ per helmet just isn't feasible.

Meanwhile, competing helmet company Schutt was taking months to deliver simple replacement parts for their helmets and is dealing with a lot of the same issues, from what coaches have shared.

In an industry where there are really two "major" manufacturers (VICIS went bankrupt a few years ago and has since been bought by a New York based investment firm, and Xenith hasn't been immune to ordering issues either), both company's workforce issues and problems at the factory are being felt by a lot of football coaches right now.

Many coaches are scrambling to come up with creative solutions.

We're entering a fall season where coaches that have spent the past 9 months or so trying to build up participation in their program are facing a hard limit on the helmets they have available for kids. The ripple effect is that they'll be faced with a few tough decisions: 1) Possibly rent or buy helmets from area programs that are fortunate enough to have extras, or 2) they'll have to turn players away or cut guys. 

For a sport where numbers have been declining at the high school level for a lot of programs, the last thing coaches want is to have to turn away kids based on helmet availability, but that is the reality that some coaches may face this off season.

Prepare to see mismatched helmets on sidelines, and be willing to help out coaches in your area in need of additional helmets if you find yourself with extras. 

The continued growth of our game this fall may depend on it.

My kiddo is entering 8th grade and just finished the 1st week of workouts at (TXK) Pleasant Grove. It is so much structured vs (TXK) Texas High where he was last year. He got to vomit today running 32 50 yard dashes after hitting the weights early, and he is loving it he said. Can’t wait to see him play again this year, he is going to be in MUCH better shape. He already is in good shape at 5’10” and 135.

Can't believe this idiotic proposal actually made it to a vote; rejected thankfully:

Taking the rare step of outright rejecting a proposal, the UIL Legislative Council turned away a controversial proposal to bar freshman athletes from participating in varsity competition during its meeting in Round Rock.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Until 1972, frosh couldn't play varsity sports. They had to play on freshman teams first. .

In 4A(now 6A) or in all classifications?

I played from 85-88 and Freshmen could not play varsity in 5A( now 6A.) In the other classes they could play varsity.

Edited by slorch

On 6/16/2022 at 8:27 PM, markstanco said:

My kiddo is entering 8th grade and just finished the 1st week of workouts at (TXK) Pleasant Grove. It is so much structured vs (TXK) Texas High where he was last year. He got to vomit today running 32 50 yard dashes after hitting the weights early, and he is loving it he said. Can’t wait to see him play again this year, he is going to be in MUCH better shape. He already is in good shape at 5’10” and 135.

A buddy I grew up with played college ball with Josh Gibson. Said he’s a great dude and does a fantastic job with the kids. If you’re in Texarkana, he’s the man to play for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Can't believe this idiotic proposal actually made it to a vote; rejected thankfully:

There were other dumb ones too like moving soccer to the fall. If they did that and you play on grass it would be a complete cluster fuck with football and soccer playing in the same season. Supposedly these proposals come from the general public which under no circumstances would be a good idea 

12 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

There were other dumb ones too like moving soccer to the fall. If they did that and you play on grass it would be a complete cluster fuck with football and soccer playing in the same season. Supposedly these proposals come from the general public which under no circumstances would be a good idea 

I kinda' wish soccer would start late winterish, but I guess track season factors into that?  Mostly for selfish reasons, my two daughters main interests now are soccer and basketball ( and volleyball ) and I haven't looked a whole lot, but looks like those two sports cross over a lot during seasons.

14 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I kinda' wish soccer would start late winterish, but I guess track season factors into that?  Mostly for selfish reasons, my two daughters main interests now are soccer and basketball ( and volleyball ) and I haven't looked a whole lot, but looks like those two sports cross over a lot during seasons.

Most of the people voting on this stuff view these other sports as nothing but a way to keep their football and girls basketball players in shape when not in season.  The votes are never about what is best for the kids competing in those sports.

17 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yep, if you are good at both soccer and basketball, it's nearly impossible to play both at your high school in Texas (unless you're at a small school). Typically, athletes pick one or the other (I had to). However, you can still play club soccer (which is much more important for recruiting, anyways) and basketball at school. However, that's really a grind.

It's really unfortunate, but I don't have a good proposal to fix it.

Edited by MuellerHorn

48 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yep, if you are good at both soccer and basketball, it's nearly impossible to play both at your high school in Texas (unless you're at a small school). Typically, athletes pick one or the other (I had to). However, you can still play club soccer (which is much more important for recruiting, anyways) and basketball at school. However, that's really a grind.

It's really unfortunate, but I don't have a good proposal to fix it.

Yeah we are at a 4a school and one of my wife's coworker teachers has a daughter that did basketball/soccer, but think that was the only student she knew of.  I'm guessing they don't won't to start soccer in late winter is because you have softball and track at the same time?  My two daughters are still a few years away from jr high, but they play soccer in the fall and spring and basketball in the winter.  They also want to play volleyball.  

How often do soccer players cross over with baseball/softball players? I'm guessing that is more minimal than basketball/soccer.  Run soccer concurrent with baseball/softball.  Sure if you are a basketball player and make a good deep run in the playoffs you may miss some early action but back in plenty of time for district play etc.  Some playoffs would bleed into post end of school but as it is in baseball that only ends up being about 8 teams that face that in any particular classification.  

Yea it sort of screws track and field....but fuck it that's the biggest "just stay in shape" sport for whatever else you really play there is for a lot of kids.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I can’t believe the costs of those helmets. I swear the ones we had in the late 80s were maybe $40. They’d get a fresh coat of paint every year, new decals, and get used for a decade. We also had these no brand cleats that were like $500 for a crate of 100 pairs. Yeah, I went to a shit school.

23 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Most of the people voting on this stuff view these other sports as nothing but a way to keep their football and girls basketball players in shape when not in season.  The votes are never about what is best for the kids competing in those sports.

The legislative council is made up of superintendents not head football and head girls basketball coaches 

1 minute ago, Dennis Taylor said:

The legislative council is made up of superintendents not head football and head girls basketball coaches 

Yeah, but if it actually goes to a vote, the ADs (who are overwhelmingly football coaches, especially at the small school level) are the ones who vote, IIRC.

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, but if it actually goes to a vote, the ADs (who are overwhelmingly football coaches, especially at the small school level) are the ones who vote, IIRC.

The council votes and the proposals either happen or don't happen.  Every coach or even every school in the state didn't get to vote if there is a shot clock or if freshmen are ineligible for varsity play etc

Just now, Dennis Taylor said:

The council votes and the proposals either happen or don't happen.  Every coach or even every school in the state didn't get to vote if there is a shot clock or if freshmen are ineligible for varsity play etc

Correct, because the council shut it down before a vote.  But when proposals such as "expand girls' cross country race distance from 2 miles to 5K for 4A and below" comes up to vote, it's the ADs who vote on it, and it repeatedly gets shot down because the girls' basketball coaches in west Texas only want XC to exist as a means of keeping their athletes in shape in the fall.  

Hence:

Most of the people voting on this stuff view these other sports as nothing but a way to keep their football and girls basketball players in shape when not in season.  The votes are never about what is best for the kids competing in those sports.

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Correct, because the council shut it down before a vote.  But when proposals such as "expand girls' cross country race distance from 2 miles to 5K for 4A and below" comes up to vote, it's the ADs who vote on it, and it repeatedly gets shot down because the girls' basketball coaches in west Texas only want XC to exist as a means of keeping their athletes in shape in the fall.  

Hence:

This is from October, water polo program approved by legislative council , doesn't say anything about any further vote by anyone else

The University Interscholastic League legislative council took action on three athletic-related proposals Monday.

The council passed an amendment to add the athletic plan and structure for the water polo pilot program, which will begin in 2022-23.

Also from October, regarding home schoolers 

The council also made an amendment to the reclassification and realignment policies and procedures. Schools that are allowing homeschool students to participate in UIL activities will have those students included in their enrollment calculations.

Again nothing about a general vote

48 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

This is from October, water polo program approved by legislative council , doesn't say anything about any further vote by anyone else

Also from October, regarding home schoolers 

Again nothing about a general vote

I have no idea what point you're trying to make.  If you're arguing that rule changes to UIL sports aren't subject to a general vote, you're wrong -- you can look it up in the UIL bylaws online.  

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I have no idea what point you're trying to make.  If you're arguing that rule changes to UIL sports aren't subject to a general vote, you're wrong -- you can look it up in the UIL bylaws online.  

I don't have time to look it up , I just posted two examples of things not going to any kind of a general vote and being implemented. If I'm not right maybe you could post evidence of that for my education.  

10 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Got my Dave Campbell in the mail so that plus the NBA Draft tonight its double Christmas Day

These are the heights and weights of the 5 listed O Linemen for the Lewisville Fighting Farmers

6'2 310

6'7 335

6'3 385

6'3 315

6'1 290 (sophomore)

Lotsa beef on that farm

38 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Got my Dave Campbell in the mail so that plus the NBA Draft tonight its double Christmas Day

These are the heights and weights of the 5 listed O Linemen for the Lewisville Fighting Farmers

6'2 310

6'7 335

6'3 385

6'3 315

6'1 290 (sophomore)

One of my favorite things to do a year is to grab a copy of Dave Campbells when I go to the grocery store.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

6'2 310

6'7 335

6'3 385

6'3 315

6'1 290 (sophomore)

Good lord.

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

One of my favorite things to do a year is to grab a copy of Dave Campbells when I go to the grocery store.

For the past few years I’ll just go to the store & take pictures of the pages with the high schools I’m interested in. 

Tepper is a major cheesedick and he has everybody's dream job but I've grown to appreciate his sincere passion for what Texas High School Football really is about. Im glad he spends the whole show on teams nobody cares about, and largely ignores Duncanville and North Shore, or Westlake and Carroll. Those teams always get talked about. Im here to see Timpson

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1