Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

Hopefully JJ Reddick has run out of eligibility.  

My favorite sign ever was from Duke Maryland. A Duke fan holding up a sign that says JJ is redickulous and the Maryland guy holding up a sign next to it that has ly gay in Maryland colors.  Anyone have that meme or has it been cancelled for all time?  

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s the one. I didn’t mean to offend. Since I got a lol emoji from you I guess I’m ok?  Was t trying to stir up shit. The look on that fatass Maryland fan just kills me. 

That shit is funny.  That's quality sports trash talk. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s the one. I didn’t mean to offend. Since I got a lol emoji from you I guess I’m ok?  Was t trying to stir up shit. The look on that fatass Maryland fan just kills me. 

Dude that fatass looks more or less like everyone I’ve ever worked with who went to UMd or WVU….

• 2 weeks later...

at the game i noticed that Marcus Carr did not participate in senior night. i'm not allowing myself to get my hopes up just yet, but wow what an addition he would be to next years team. if we could somehow roll out:

Morris

Carr

Mitchell

Allen

Bishop

next year i'd be sufficiently gruntled. with coach beard's track record of grabbing transfer talent by the bushel, next year could be a special year if the right guys return. 

24 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

at the game i noticed that Marcus Carr did not participate in senior night. i'm not allowing myself to get my hopes up just yet, but wow what an addition he would be to next years team. if we could somehow roll out:

Morris

Carr

Mitchell

Allen

Bishop

next year i'd be sufficiently gruntled. with coach beard's track record of grabbing transfer talent by the bushel, next year could be a special year if the right guys return. 

It’s going to be a special year regardless. I read your observation In the other thread. It seems crazy he’d come back. I hope he does. I love seeing him play. He doesn’t have blow by speed, but he creates his own shot any time he wants, and he can make shots at all three levels. Plus he plays really hard on defense  

Not to mention Disu getting 100% healthy, and Askew having another year under his belt. I’m also really excited to see who Beard grabs out of the portal.

I think about what this team would have looked like with Bryson Williams on the roster, for example. Or Akinjo. 

Just so excited about the direction of this program. 

• Hook 'Em 4

If we recruit guys that can hit the open three we will be fine. Beards offense has been producing a ton of quality open jumpers all year and we just cannot hit them consistently. And we need a go to guy, a floor leader that is consistently our best player and scorer and we just don’t have one. Every game the box score is different and while I like playing as a team and all, this is college basketball and we need a elite scorer who consistently leads this team.

On 3/1/2022 at 2:30 AM, shadow_operative said:

Morris

Carr

Mitchell

Allen

Bishop

Personally, I'd rather not have Carr back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Senior night’s definitely not a guarantee of who’s leaving, but if all the guys who walked plus Carr and Mitchell leave, that could leave us having to bring in a boat load of new transfers again next year and with them plus the one and dones we’re taking, we’ll be stuck in that cycle the following year.

I’m hoping Bishop will stay one more year, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves. 

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Senior night’s definitely not a guarantee of who’s leaving, but if all the guys who walked plus Carr and Mitchell leave, that could leave us having to bring in a boat load of new transfers again next year and with them plus the one and dones we’re taking, we’ll be stuck in that cycle the following year.

I’m hoping Bishop will stay one more year, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves. 

Beard: This is the way (that I roster manage)

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

We won't have to take as many transfers because we are bringing in a 3 man recruiting class. Assuming Askew, Cunningham and Disu are the only ones back, that is 6 scholarships right there. Probably means 5-6 transfers (apparently On3 has mentioned that there is still a chance we had a 4th guy to our 2022 class). If we get Allen or Bishop back that would probably mean 4-5 portal guys. We took 7 transfers last year for comparison, almost all of which were upperclassmen. If we take a few more underclassmen through the portal this year, we won't be stuck in the same cycle in 2024 and beyond. 

I don't think Morris will be a one and done. Dillon Mitchell certainly might be if his trajectory continues at the pace it's on. He will the most athletic person on the team the moment steps on campus. The priorities in the portal (probably in this order) should be to add a big man, 1-2 shooters and a ball handler who can complement Askew and Morris.

Edited by Hookem2147

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We won't have to take as many transfers because we are bringing in a 3 man recruiting class. Assuming Askew, Cunningham and Disu are the only ones back, that is 6 scholarships right there. Probably means 5-6 transfers (apparently On3 has mentioned that there is still a chance we had a 4th guy to our 2022 class). If we get Allen or Bishop back that would probably mean 4-5 portal guys. We took 7 transfers last year for comparison, almost all of which were upperclassmen. If we take a few more underclassmen through the portal this year, we won't be stuck in the same cycle in 2024 and beyond. 

I don't think Morris will be a one and done. Dillon Mitchell certainly might be if his trajectory continues at the pace it's on. He will the most athletic person on the team the moment steps on campus. The priorities in the portal (probably in this order) should be to add a big man, 1-2 shooters and a ball handler who can complement Askew and Morris.

Is Brumbaugh not a 3rd ball handler? 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Beard: This is the way (that I roster manage)

yeah, it’s definitely the path to having the most talented team, but it’s one more reason I don’t like his motion offense. That takes time and cohesion to run well. It’s going to be very hard to optimize when you’re bringing in 5-6 new guys who will be a big part of the rotation every single year. 

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Your post is a lot of semantics. We’re talking about returning 3-4 guys from this year, which means about 8 new players between HS and transfer, which is the same as last year. 

I don’t expect Morris to stay more than one year, considering there’s already G League rumors floating around him for the upcoming season, so you’re probably talking about returning 4ish guys the following year too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

yeah, it’s definitely the path to having the most talented team, but it’s one more reason I don’t like his motion offense. That takes time and cohesion to run well. It’s going to be very hard to optimize when you’re bringing in 5-6 new guys who will be a big part of the rotation every single year. 

Your post is a lot of semantics. We’re talking about returning 3-4 guys from this year, which means about 8 new players between HS and transfer, which is the same as last year. 

I don’t expect Morris to stay more than one year, considering there’s already G League rumors floating around him for the upcoming season, so you’re probably talking about returning 4ish guys the following year too. 

Just my opinion, but there's a difference between adding 8 new guys last year, all of which had to be identified and closed on within like 45 day span and adding 8 new guys this year, 3 of which we pursued for over a year, have thorough evaluations on and have already signed. I guess what I'm trying to say is Beard will probably get to be a little more selective during the upcoming portal carousel because he will know what he has in returning guys and what he has coming with his signing class. Last year it was just get as many good players in here as possible holy cap Shaka left me absolutely nothing. 

Via Gerry Hamilton:

On hoops recruiting ... some very important news ... Arterio Morris is going to be working out with T.J. Ford some in the off-season prior to getting to Texas. That will be crucial for Morris' development playing in the half court at the college level.

• 2 weeks later...

This podcast found by @torre has FEC Memories on it...

On Second Thought Ep. 252: Steve Sarkisian on Texas spring football; Big 12 tournament preview, Erwin Center memories

Hosts Cedric Golden and Kirk Bohls interview Steve Sarkisian on Texas Spring Football, preview the Big 12 tournaments, and give their favorite memories from the Erwin Center, which will give away to the Moody Center next season.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/on-second-thought-ep-252-steve-sarkisian-on-texas-spring/id1106676457?i=1000553550957

• 2 weeks later...

So, big questions:

Who all comes back as pretty much everyone (that we'd care about) has eligibility with the extra Covid year other than Febres, right? 

Do the recruits all make it on campus?

Who do we snipe in the portal?

Can we get longer and more athletic so that we can be a real, legit final 4 contender?

What will be interesting is to see how Beard manages the roster this off season with '23-'24 in mind.

Let's say AJ1, Allen, Benson, Bishop, and Carr all return. Each individually only have one year remaining.

Next, Morris and Mitchell both probably believe they're one-and-done type players. Based on Beard's system and the group returning (sans Benson), their stats are unlikely to reflect it - at least in the first half of the season. However, they may very well play themselves into first-round status. Thus, this is seven players that give Texas one year of play on the roster next season.

Cunningham, Febres, and Licon are gone, and Mitchell is very likely gone. Let's say Ramey is also gone. That's five open spots. Askew (two years?), Perryman (four more years?), Disu (two more years?) are all that's left from the current roster, with Brumbaugh having just completed his first year. 

I'd have to believe that Beard will target transfers with multiple years of eligibility remaining this off season. He could, of course, take a ton of transfers for year three, as I doubt he'll take a huge freshman class for 23-'24 (not his operating style.

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

What will be interesting is to see how Beard manages the roster this off season with '23-'24 in mind.

Let's say AJ1, Allen, Benson, Bishop, and Carr all return. Each individually only have one year remaining.

Next, Morris and Mitchell both probably believe they're one-and-done type players. Based on Beard's system and the group returning (sans Benson), their stats are unlikely to reflect it - at least in the first half of the season. However, they may very well play themselves into first-round status. Thus, this is seven players that give Texas one year of play on the roster next season.

Cunningham, Febres, and Licon are gone, and Mitchell is very likely gone. Let's say Ramey is also gone. That's five open spots. Askew (two years?), Perryman (four more years?), Disu (two more years?) are all that's left from the current roster, with Brumbaugh having just completed his first year. 

I'd have to believe that Beard will target transfers with multiple years of eligibility remaining this off season. He could, of course, take a ton of transfers for year three, as I doubt he'll take a huge freshman class for 23-'24 (not his operating style.

I could see Morris being a 2 year guy. Might get low first round feedback after his first year, but if he comes back he could get into the top 5-10 with a polished game

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

We would be lucky to one of AJ1, Allen, Bishop or Carr chose to come back. Don't see any way we get all 4. I think Beard already mentioned that Benson is likely done. Let's say Cunningham is done too after his farewell post last night. I forgot about Perryman. I believe he was a walk on this year but they said they would get him on scholarship next year.

I agree that he will likely take a few more transfers with multiple years of eligibility. 

All that being said, we are looking at this right now without factoring in anyone with covid years available:

Askew- Junior

Disu- Junior

Morris- Freshman

Mitchell- Freshman

Brumbaugh- Freshman

Perryman- redshirt freshman

That's 6 right there. They seems to be a lot of talk about taking another high school big so that would be 7. That leaves 4-5 transfer spots assuming no one else returns. I still think this sets up better than last offseason for the obvious reason that Beard knows what he has coming back and coming in so he's not scrambling to just feel out the roster. I would prioritize getting another ball-handler (don't trust Askew fully on that end and I don't think I want Morris and Brumbaugh as the only ball-handlers. After that we obviously need to add another big and then 1-2 shooters. Easier said than done but I'm sure the portal is going to have plenty of options. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry Hamilton (who is pretty plugged into the basketball program): “it will not surprise me if there is a minor staff change”

Minor staff change says to me someone below the level of Terry, Howard, Maligi, and Ogden is moving on but who knows.  

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Minor staff change says to me someone below the level of Terry, Howard, Maligi, and Ogden is moving on but who knows.  

Someone speculated (and it makes sense) that it could be Howard because of the NCAA stuff about to come out on Kansas.

One thing is for sure, I'm going to pay a lot more attention to actual footage of what next year's transfers looked like at their previous schools.  I had no clue how athletically limited Carr, Allen, and Mitchell were.  Had I known I would've saved the 100 bucks I put on us winning this year's National Championship last May.  I  was excited as fuck about this upcoming season, unreasonably so.  All things considered though,  this is about happiest I've been after a tourney exit in my entire longhorn fandom. After seeing the season play out and the actual talent he had to work with I'm impressed with the job Beard did this year.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

One thing is for sure, I'm going to pay a lot more attention to actual footage of what next year's transfers looked like at their previous schools.  I had no clue how athletically limited Carr, Allen, and Mitchell were.  Had I known I would've saved the 100 bucks I put on us winning this year's National Championship last May.  I  was excited as fuck about this upcoming season, unreasonably so.  All things considered though,  this is about happiest I've been after a tourney exit in my entire longhorn fandom. After seeing the season play out and the actual talent he had to work with I'm impressed with the job Beard did this year.  

I was fooled, too. I had watched all three of them and felt like I had a decent handle on what they were bringing. Mitchell is easily the one that fooled me the most. Also I wasn't realistic about Disu's recovery. I thought we'd see the guy I saw at Vanderbilt at the opening tip of the season. 

Like you, I'm thrilled about the actual accomplishments of the team. The most fun I've had since 2008. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Agree 100%. Carr was a roller coaster for me though. In the end, I really liked him, but not because of talent like I thought in the beginning. He had so much heart down the stretch... love guys like that

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This answer is almost correct (hell it may be correct depending upon how old you are).  The logical answer for best you should ever feel after a tournament loss was TJ's freshman season. WE were a six, beat the 3 to get to the sweet 16, played reasonably well before losing to an older, bigger, stronger Oregon team, and had everyone coming back and it was clear TJ was going to be special.  That was a slightly better feeling upon exit than this one b/c it was a round later and we knew we were going to run it back with those guys and be really good. 

Other than that, I think you are dead bang on- I can't think of any year with more of a sense of "we actualized to the best of our talent and went as far as we should have/deserved to go, while also putting up a really good fight in the game we got bounced in."  The year we lost to Memphis in the EE the game was so non competitive that it was hard to take anything too positive out of the ordeal.  

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I’m going to let my eyes decide our ranking and not the media this time 

• Hook 'Em 1

Honestly I want all the ones that can stay too stay another year. Compete roster turnover year to year would not be good for the style of offense beard runs. The longer they are here the better they will get. 

I think beard is going to hit a grand slam in the portal this year and I’m pumped to see this roster play again next year.

• Hook 'Em 2