Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i cannot believe it that Disu would leave. Texas is his dream school, he's been wearing burnt orange and cheering for the Longhorns his entire life, he was super bummed to not be offered by Texas coming out of HS. if a kid like that gives up and leaves after one down year then i guess i'm just a dinosaur who does not understand kids these days. 

Wouldn't Disu and Tre Mitchell both have to sit a year if they leave? Didn't both burn their get-out-of-jail-free card already leaving Vandy and Umass?

Nothing I saw out of Disu told me he was ready for more minutes than he received.  I hope he's getting good advice and understands that his injury takes time.  He started to turn it on -- no reason to believe he couldn't be much more effective by next season.

• Hook 'Em 1

if Disu is 100% healthy then he could end up blowing everyone's tits off next year with how impactful he can be. it'll be like we signed the guy from Vandy and then redshirted him and let him grow for a year. he's not only good on the glass and defensively, but he can actually score, and believe it or not, he's comfortable stepping out and shooting in catch-and-shoot situations as well. he can be a real impact player for Texas next year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

if Disu is 100% healthy then he could end up blowing everyone's tits off next year with how impactful he can be. it'll be like we signed the guy from Vandy and then redshirted him and let him grow for a year. he's not only good on the glass and defensively, but he can actually score, and believe it or not, he's comfortable stepping out and shooting in catch-and-shoot situations as well. he can be a real impact player for Texas next year. 

Yeah. A healthy Disu would’ve completely changed this year’s team or next year’s. I really, really hope we can hold onto him. We desperately needed a guy like him who could score in the post this year, especially after Mitchell left. 

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

6831261F-5DF3-4442-91B1-31F6C0A27BE5.jpeg

For the love of God, please let us bring in some guys who can shoot. 

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Honestly you could build a better team with the players who have transferred from WVU than the ones who have stayed. 

Yeah, they could have made a huge run had Allen and Tshiebwe stayed. Now he's losing more guys. Same with the football team.

That Sean Mitchell WVU guy is a mediocre FG shooter.  Barely 40% from the field and 36.8% from 3pt range.  He's a great FT shooter, but he doesn't rebound, he doesn't get assists, he's not an efficient or prolific scorer.  Is he a bad ass defender?  I don't get the appeal. 

7 hours ago, RabidM said:

That Sean Mitchell WVU guy is a mediocre FG shooter.  Barely 40% from the field and 36.8% from 3pt range.  He's a great FT shooter, but he doesn't rebound, he doesn't get assists, he's not an efficient or prolific scorer.  Is he a bad ass defender?  I don't get the appeal. 

How many people on our team do you think shot 36.8 or better from 3 last year? 

he also shot .388 from deep a year ago. a senior white boy shooter from Union, Kentucky is on every team's wish list. we're certainly not in a position to be ignoring guys like him when they enter the portal. i would argue that Beard's offense more than most needs to have guys who can space the floor and knock down an open perimeter jumper. 

if Disu is 100% healthy ….,he can be a real impact player for Texas next year. 

Absolutely but other than a few flashes, he never really got back to pre-injury form. Don’t know if he tweaked the knee or what but it always seemed like he was playing tentatively. We desperately need his size down low so not sure why he’s looking around unless he feels he needs to go to a less physical conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chip Brown

ALLEN SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING RETURNING

Talked to a couple sources close to the situation on Wednesday who said Texas basketball’s season-leading scorer Timmy Allen is seriously considering returning to Texas for a super-senior season.

“He’s probably 50-50 right now,” one source close to Allen told Horns247.

Allen is still bothered by his performance in an NCAA Tournament Round of 32 loss to Purdue in which Allen scored two points and grabbed two rebounds before fouling out in maybe his worst game of the season at the absolutely worst time of the season.

But Allen embodies the grinding, attention-to-detail way of playing and preparing that Chris Beard’s culture demands.

Allen’s best game of the season, was his performance at West Virginia, when he scored 26 points, grabbed 10 rebounds (four on the offensive glass) and kept relentlessly attacking the basket in a one-point Texas win. If the Longhorns can get more of that Timmy Allen, everyone will benefit.

Senior guard Marcus Carr’s decision about whether to return to Texas next season for a super senior year will be “determined by his family life,” a source close to the situation said, adding, “Marcus is a dad.”

3 hours ago, TxTower said:

Absolutely but other than a few flashes, he never really got back to pre-injury form. Don’t know if he tweaked the knee or what but it always seemed like he was playing tentatively. We desperately need his size down low so not sure why he’s looking around unless he feels he needs to go to a less physical conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s a 6’10 guy who suffered a pretty bad knee injury in February 2021, so coming back in December was on the early side of things. Usually guys that tall take longer to get back to normal. 

He looked noticeably more athletic early in the year, then got injured at OSU and looked much worse for most of the season. I’d say he started to look better and was getting back to where he was earlier in the year during our last 4 or so games. He gave us good stints of play against KU, VT, and Purdue. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Possibly keeping options open.  Never got the feeling that Ramey totally enjoyed the roll he had under Beard.  

Ramey was one of my favorite players the last couple of years. He may not have made them all, but he was one of the few guys that would decisively take shots in crucial situations. I dont think there's a chance he gets drafted in the NBA, but hopefully he transfers somewhere he can get as much PT as he can handle and set himself up for a pro career somewhere. 

I also wonder if that means he knows something about Jones and/or Carr. With a couple of guards coming in next year, minutes will be tight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Possibly keeping options open.  Never got the feeling that Ramey totally enjoyed the roll he had under Beard.  

Roll probably didn’t have enough god damn butter 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

He wants to be more of the initiator of the offense. I don’t know that he has the skills to do that, but if he wants to give it a try somewhere else, I don’t blame him. He was a difference maker on defense all year long, and he hit plenty of crucial shots in his career. Glad he came to Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 6

41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Are there any updates on Tre Mitchell?  I assume he has zero intention of coming back, but I don't think I've seen anything official.

I haven’t seen one.  I assume he’s gone too, but he’s not in the portal…yet.  Maybe he’s leaving college.  

Ramey was a great player for us this year.  Sad to see him go, but I never fault any player for leaving after four years, regardless of where they go.  If he has another year of eligibility, I have no problem with him using it for a change of scenery.  Kind of like getting your Masters at a different school than your undergrad.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

What'd Ramey's dad say? I don't see anything on his Twitter account.

I was not a fan of Ramey until this year. I thought he played great for us this year. Limiting his shots and his time at point really helped him as a player imo. Best of luck to him in the future.

2 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

What'd Ramey's dad say? I don't see anything on his Twitter account.

I was not a fan of Ramey until this year. I thought he played great for us this year. Limiting his shots and his time at point really helped him as a player imo. Best of luck to him in the future.

I thought Ramey was great for us last year too. He shot like freaking 41% from 3 last year (on surprisingly fewer 3s than he shot this year) and 83% from the FT line which are all substantially better than he shot this year However, he did improve his 2pt FG% significantly this year. 

Count me among those who are sad to see Ramey go.

Don't begrudge him one bit, but selfishly wish he would've hung around to lead us on D once again. If he was unhappy, you could not tell from his effort or intensity.

Class act and team player--will continue rooting for him at his next stop!

• Hook 'Em 5

On 3/30/2022 at 11:13 PM, Burt Macklin said:

How many people on our team do you think shot 36.8 or better from 3 last year? 

For what it's worth, the uninitiated answer is 2.

Brock Cunningham: 11/23 (0.478)
Triston Licon: 4/10 (0.400)

With that number of attempts, let's call it zero.

McNeil was 57/155 (0.367)

By comparison, Texas's top 3-point shooters:
Ramey 49/140 (0.350)
Carr 47/139 (0.338)
Jones 56/175 (0.320)

I'm not a basketball stats expert, but those numbers do not seem materially different than what we got from any of the 3 guards above.  Plus, he's not quite the defender of any of the above.  We only know that Ramey will not be back.

Upshot (IMO): he's a less athletic, poorer defending, better shooting version of Andrew Jones.

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't follow recruiting very much -- what other 'horns have come out of HS with that kind of ranking?  I remember KD/Oden being at the top of their class.  Who else?  Mo?

avery bradley comes to mind. he was #1 overall according to espn. damion james was a 5 star as well, and that was before the entire top 30 got 5 stars, so i imagine he was pretty high up there as well. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1