Australian swimmer killed in shark attack

Hate

On 2/17/2022 at 11:48 AM, conVINCEd said:

That’s where we did it.  The week we were there they had the first of several orca attacks, which has caused the great whites to somewhat flee the area.  Because of this thread I took a peak at the website of the company we used, and it doesn’t look like they see a whole lot of great whites these days.  We got there just in tIme because we saw 5 or 6 and had pretty consistent activity.

Are they losing their great white privilege?

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/17/2022 at 8:39 PM, Bevo said:

My wife and I were snorkeling near Tulum and saw a parrotfish that was bigger than we were. It wasn't moving much so we hung around it for a good length of time. Your post made me google parrotfish and the googles are stating 4ft. and 48lbs max. It makes me think that we saw one for the record books.

Well maybe, are you a dwarf or something?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Well maybe, are you a dwarf or something?

<Not Costanza>They say things look bigger in the water so maybe that's it.<Not Costanza> My wife isn't a dwarf but she was something as she was about 9 months pregnant when we were there.

On 2/17/2022 at 8:37 AM, RollLeft said:

Thats funny I used to live in NoCal and took a chic camping once.  I still remember the look of fear on her face when she unzipped my pants.  We must have been getting it on a little loud because some people eventually blew a horn at us.  She nicknamed my schlong the big brown bear ever since.

A little bit of the ‘ol hershey highway before the camping trip eh?

On 2/20/2022 at 3:27 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Grew up swimming/surfing/now mostly SUP surfing on SPI and it’s still what I do every day I can when back home.  All the videos of how close we really are to sharks from drones/ airplanes/etc make me feel better and not worse. When you think of how many people and hours we spend next to each other without shit happening, you realize that for the most part they DNGAF about us.

One of my favorite photos from a morning on the Laguna Madre side on my board is not a shark but a bottlenose. Not gonna lie— a bit unsettling.  They are bigger than they look and when you can’t track where they are under you, you realize they could fuck up your world if they got a mind to. Still not an experience I’d trade for the world. 

image.thumb.jpeg.580b06a75440b2da2fe3354024e80bf2.jpeg

I have a place in SPI. I was fishing topwater in the surf, catching some nice ones. Dad and two boys from Monterrey we’re out there too, fishing broomsticks with double drop rigs, not catching shit. So we get to talking, I show them what I’m doing, they go buy new rods, reels, and topwaters. We are all down there for a week, they are getting the hang of it each dawn and dusk, catching reds and trout. So one evening I’m coming in from the beach and all hell is breaking loose a hundred yards down the beach, cops, ambulance, etc. One of the kids was fishing in a school of mullet and a shark clamped down on his foot. Pretty nasty puncture wounds top and bottom of his foot so they took him into Brownsville and stitched him up. Poor kid was bummed he couldn’t get back into the water.

On 2/20/2022 at 7:40 AM, Capt. Squints said:

Years ago I was in chest deep water speck fishing the Chandeleur islands when I felt a tug on my belt-looped attached stringer of trout in tow. Much to my surprise a bull shark was chowing his way up the stringer towards me. Released the stringer to the youngster and gtf out of the water and never went back.

Don’t be scared. We wade there every year. Going again soon.