Charcoal Thread - sales, experiences, etc

Baboontyme

Well Gil Bang....I'm ready to admit defeat. Almost. I'm having a really difficult time getting the Royal Oak up to temp tonight. My graph last time I used it in the trailer told me I had it up to 200 in about 35 minutes. I did nothing different tonight, and I'm about an hour in and at 177. Multiple times I have had a big fire going with the coals, shut the door or the lid (vent still wide open) and the fire has died down to almost nothing. It appears there is still some major inconsistencies with this brand. We'll see how much these things redeem themselves and if it's just a slow start but it's drastically different from last time I used them. 

On the other hand, I was in Lowe's today and Stubbs briqs (14 lbs bags) are on sale for $8 this weekend. 

I seem to burning normal now. Nice big fire and temps creeping upwards of 275. I dialed the intake way back and I'll see how it goes for the rest of the night. I'm going to need to pass out soon so it is what it is. 

Edited by Baboontyme

This is a great site - their lump reviews are great.  Currently using a giant bag of Kamodo Joe lump (big red bag) from Costco.  So far so good.  Only used for shorter cooks to date:  brisket and pork belly burnt ends.  But no consistency issues.  And I'll add, don't skimp on lump.  If you are in a pinch, the BGE Natural stuff in the green bag is money (if you can find a store selling).  

Edited by BabaYaga

I'm still on the Kingsford blue (mostly because Stubbs was hard to come by around here (Lowe's didn't have it) when I got my smokers).  It's been fine.  Temps are easy to maintain, and I don't get (or notice) the off flavors that some people do.  I want to try Stubbs though since it has started showing up around here again.  How easy is it to maintain temps over 12 hours?  Do you get 12 hours out of a load of Stubbs in a 22" WSM like you do with Kingsford?  How is the consistency of the burn compared to Kingsford? 

I can't compare it as I don't use Kingsford due to the bitter taste you mentioned. It's funny how many don't notice it, I noticed the difference right away and it solved a huge issue for me way back in the day. But Stubb's burns great for me. Long and consistent and no issues with ash. Easily 12 + hours in the 18.5. can't speak to the 22 

Stubbs is amazing charcoal but I'll use anything that's on sale and works well in the WSM. I'm still slowly going through my last stockpile from Labor Day.   I'll be picking up 12 or so bags of KBB this weekend.   Just like guns, whiskey, fishing poles and cigars - there is no such thing as having too much.

Edited by krevo
  • Like 2

B&B makes briquettes now also.  They seem to burn hotter and longer than any I've used before, though I don't use them very often.  Their lump charcoal is excellent.  The only issue you will ever have with it is that sometimes the pieces are bigger than you would like.

46 minutes ago, kevwun said:

B&B makes briquettes now also.  They seem to burn hotter and longer than any I've used before, though I don't use them very often.  Their lump charcoal is excellent.  The only issue you will ever have with it is that sometimes the pieces are bigger than you would like.

If you really want to go down the OCD BBQ rabbit hole, sort them in those big plastic bins by size.  Get some latex gloves and the larger pieces go in one, mid size, small, etc..  The bigger pieces can be arranged for longer cooks, whereas the smaller are good from grilling burgers, etc.  

*don't do this anymore, but I did at first, and it does help.  

• Like 1

If you really want to go down the OCD BBQ rabbit hole, sort them in those big plastic bins by size.  Get some latex gloves and the larger pieces go in one, mid size, small, etc..  The bigger pieces can be arranged for longer cooks, whereas the smaller are good from grilling burgers, etc.  

99499e70b93f43af50eb8613d3661b82.jpg

On 5/25/2018 at 12:54 AM, Baboontyme said:

I seem to burning normal now. Nice big fire and temps creeping upwards of 275. I dialed the intake way back and I'll see how it goes for the rest of the night. I'm going to need to pass out soon so it is what it is. 

It turned out fine, it was just a weird start. Weird enough to definitely question the consistency of the stuff. But overall it wasn't an issue and the fire got where it needed to get and stayed there. These things are fine as a cheap alternative but I'm not sure I would rely on them for a competition cook or something if you're into that sort of thing. Here's the graph. In green obviously. 

I went to bed around 1 after I was sure the fire was going up, and woke up around 7 with temps starting to decline at 260 or so. I wrapped the brisket and added another bag and a half of RO to finish the cook off. Brisket was done around 11:30. Rested, coolered (with butter), served around 7:30 PM. Twas fan fucking-tastic. 

28491095198_3fbf18b881_c.jpg

There is nothing wrong with KBB. The guys that won Memphis this year use it. Apparently the judges did not detect any unusual tastes.

I've been using Texas Premium Charcoal for several months. He's based in Waller and I buy both oak lump and oak splits from him. Lights quickly, and burns a long time. Really good stuff

• Like 1

RO Lump let me down, too,  the last time I used it in the WSM; wouldn't get over 200 no matter what I tried, and I haven't used it for bbq since. 

I really like the Weber briquettes.  Never tried them when they first came out (at $20 for a 20-pound bag it was hard to justify over Stubbs), but I found some last fall at Lowe's for $12.  Really, really good stuff.  It seems to get hotter (in my unscientific, completely untested opinion) than Stubbs when searing steaks or burgers, and a full load will last 14+ hours in my 22" WSM (whereas I usually need to add at the 12-hr mark when using other fuels).  Individual briqs are larger than Stubbs or KBB briqs, and it does make more ash than Stubbs.   Weber Briqs are probably overpriced at $20, but not if you can find them onsale. 

Stubbs, since the Lowe's near me always has it in stock, is my other go-to charcoal.  Just good stuff.

On 6/1/2018 at 2:32 PM, Mack Tripper said:

Where does one procure this Texas Premium Charcoal? 

in Houston: 

B&B Butchers

TruLite Grillshop (Heights)

He also sells through Amazon

If there is enough interest I can arrange to have him drop product off with me and you fellas can pick some up when you visit me for lunch.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 5/25/2018 at 3:38 PM, BabaYaga said:

I've been known to do this, albeit just small vs. large is good enough for me.

I've also used lump exclusively for several years, but I also recall many moons ago someone here saying that Stubbs briquettes are no longer available as a brand, but they are under a different label.  Does anyone know if that is correct and what brand that is?  Stubbs was the last briquette charcoal that I remember liking, but I'm open to suggestions because it's always interesting in trying something new.

For me, it's a never ending search of hotter (or longer) burning fires, so any suggestions are welcome.  I plan on trying B&B Oak Lump for smoking now that the weather is getting better for that sort of thing. NW winds on the plains make holding a consistent temperature a challenge.

The only oak that is readily available to me is bur (burr to some).  I'm happy with it.  The only problem I've every had is the time I was smoking some 3-1/2 and downs and my (young at the time) kids wanted to add some oak to the fire.  They drug a big branch out of the grass and I let them break off pieces to add to the fire. The ribs had an off taste that I think must have come from moss on the bark since that tree had plenty of it.

Anyway, back to the subject of charcoal.  What does Surly recommend?

24 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I've been known to do this, albeit just small vs. large is good enough for me.

I've also used lump exclusively for several years, but I also recall many moons ago someone here saying that Stubbs briquettes are no longer available as a brand, but they are under a different label.  Does anyone know if that is correct and what brand that is?  Stubbs was the last briquette charcoal that I remember liking, but I'm open to suggestions because it's always interesting in trying something new.

For me, it's a never ending search of hotter (or longer) burning fires, so any suggestions are welcome.  I plan on trying B&B Oak Lump for smoking now that the weather is getting better for that sort of thing. NW winds on the plains make holding a consistent temperature a challenge.

The only oak that is readily available to me is bur (burr to some).  I'm happy with it.  The only problem I've every had is the time I was smoking some 3-1/2 and downs and my (young at the time) kids wanted to add some oak to the fire.  They drug a big branch out of the grass and I let them break off pieces to add to the fire. The ribs had an off taste that I think must have come from moss on the bark since that tree had plenty of it.

Anyway, back to the subject of charcoal.  What does Surly recommend?

Use the BGE lump when I can, but have Cowboy as well.  The change to size and allocation of large/small lumps was from inconsistent cook times and temp.  You'd hit pockets and get flare ups - which in an egg, are a PITA to get back down, especially if asleep and you miss it.  They get hot, and stay hot for a long time.

I also mix in oak/pecan chunks that I've cured.  Nothing too fancy, but getting consistency is something I've long struggled with, and lump size and arrangement plays a part.  

To patch a bruised ego, I've also done less brisket cooks and more pork, ribs, and smoked chucks.  Less meat for a smaller crowd and shorter cook times.  Still do them on request, but not all the time like I used to.  

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 7:03 AM, Landomatic said:

Wait...y’all buy your charcoal in a bag and don’t make your own in a separate fire pit then shovel into the smoker?  Savages

That was my job back in the day at the auction barn.  Uncle's place in W.Texas.  Big horse and cattle auctions so I was herding animals, marking them with dye guns, and manning the fire pits to transport coal to the guys running the big smokers.  Loved every minute of it!

Only smell on earth better than smokers and livestock is the inside of a tack shop....maybe.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Kamado Joe Big Block lump is the best I've used. You can get it at Lowe's.

2pakCharcoal_300x.gif?v=1608573878

Costco has the best price when the Kamado Joe Roadshow is in town.  Looks like there are couple scheduled around the metroplex in June.  I usually buy 3 - 30# bags (enough to get me through until the next time they're in town) and I think its around $22/bag.

As for briquettes, B&B last longer than most.  I watched an hour's worth of video comparisons one day and B&B was the top.  I use briquettes when making burgers and hot dogs at the park for a large group.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Costco has the best price when the Kamado Joe Roadshow is in town.  Looks like there are couple scheduled around the metroplex in June.  I usually buy 3 - 30# bags (enough to get me through until the next time they're in town) and I think its around $22/bag.

As for briquettes, B&B last longer than most.  I watched an hour's worth of video comparisons one day and B&B was the top.  I use briquettes when making burgers and hot dogs at the park for a large group.

Another plus for the Kamado Joe, is the the large blocks last quite a while and if you choke out the fire when you're done, you can usually get 2-3 grilling sessions out of it. 

6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Kamado Joe Big Block lump is the best I've used. You can get it at Lowe's.

2pakCharcoal_300x.gif?v=1608573878

My slogan for KJBB: When you don't care if your meat winds up being trash.

KJ Big Block is the only lump I won't use. Their supply chain is all sorts of fucked and there are frequent waves of reports where people get a heavy chemical taste/smell in their food, due to the charcoal mfg process being too short and not driving out all the volatiles in the wood. They also use some inconsistent suppliers, some KJ bags arrive with another supplier's poly bag bagged inside, large variation in lump size (some of those 'rebags' of another supplier bag show up with all golf ball sized pieces, no big pieces at all). In their defense, the lump size (and this is also a very common complaint for Cowboy) is heavily dependent on handling during shipping, and may be largely out of their control once they sell it to the distrib or retailers. If you buy it in person at Costco, pick from the middle of a pallet and feel around the bag for an idea of contents, turn it over in your hands to get a feel and listen for how broken the contents are. Also in their defense, people who have complained to them usually get sent a new bag free (though some of those replacement bags have amusingly also arrived as all tiny pieces).

I see Masterbuilt lump for sale now, not sure how or if the supply chain differs from KJ branded lump now that both are owned by Masterbuilt.

If you want quality lump, go Fogo or Jealous Devil. Fogo Super Premium in particular is handpicked huge pieces (at a premium price). They sometimes run discount codes for 10% off and free shipping, that's the time to load up. https://www.fogocharcoal.com/products/fogo-35-pound-super-premium-hardwood-charcoal-bag

In AZ we also see El Diablo mesquite lump out of Mexico, it's really solid, burns hot, and super cheap, right around 0.50/lb: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/charcoal/8026899

Even at random local supermarkets it stays under 0.60/lb: https://www.frysfood.com/p/el-diablo-mesquite-charcoal/0008652600015

One of our specialty BBQ stores highly recommends The Good One lump, no personal experience: https://www.bbqislandinc.com/the-good-one-lump-charcoal.html

Another AZ local store (Brooksies Propane) carries and seems to sell a lot of Black Wood, Blues Hog, and John Henry's lump - I hadn't heard much of any of those online.

• Like 1

Good recs from all responders. Thanks.

I looked up Cowboy Charcoal retailers on their website, and wouldn’t you know, the grocery store I had just gotten back from (buying ribs lol) is their only retailer within 50 miles of me. Technically, there are no towns of over 500 people within 50 miles of me, but whatever.

I still think I’ll order some B&B in both briquettes and oak lump and keep my eyes open for some other recommendations when I’m out and about dodging ‘rona death. 

8 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

My slogan for KJBB: When you don't care if your meat winds up being trash.

KJ Big Block is the only lump I won't use. Their supply chain is all sorts of fucked and there are frequent waves of reports where people get a heavy chemical taste/smell in their food, due to the charcoal mfg process being too short and not driving out all the volatiles in the wood. They also use some inconsistent suppliers, some KJ bags arrive with another supplier's poly bag bagged inside, large variation in lump size (some of those 'rebags' of another supplier bag show up with all golf ball sized pieces, no big pieces at all). In their defense, the lump size (and this is also a very common complaint for Cowboy) is heavily dependent on handling during shipping, and may be largely out of their control once they sell it to the distrib or retailers. If you buy it in person at Costco, pick from the middle of a pallet and feel around the bag for an idea of contents, turn it over in your hands to get a feel and listen for how broken the contents are. Also in their defense, people who have complained to them usually get sent a new bag free (though some of those replacement bags have amusingly also arrived as all tiny pieces).

I will say I've never had a bad bag of it and I've probably bought 20+ bags at this point.  It's all burned clean. It gets to a thin blue smoke extremely quickly and burns away to nothing.  However, a few bags ago did have a poly liner and I was wondering what that was about.

On 4/22/2021 at 12:38 PM, Baboontyme said:

Yeah Stubbs is no longer. I think it's Cowboy brand now. It seems the same to me but I haven't been cooking a lot lately. 

I ordered some B&B competition briqs for my turkey cook on Thanksgiving and they were great. 

I've got some weird olfactory hues it seems.  I started off using KBB.  Then I got educated by the internet about the fact that KBB gave off a weird smell.  Then I tried Stubbs, and damned if I didn't think that stuff had the weirdest burning smell of anything I'd ever tried.  Temps were all over the place, too.  Switched back to KBB and happy that I'm one of those people who can't find anything wrong with it.  I'll spend the money I save on good meat.

YMMV

/p.s.  The only time I've recently had brisket that had a distinct awful odor and taste to it was one that was smoked on a BGE.  Not sure what kind of lump it was and I don't know that it matters.  Thing tasted like it'd been smoked in diesel.  Apparently, that can happen if you put the meat on before letting the smoke die down in the kamado cookers.  This person was relatively new to his set up.  I politely tried the beans.

Edited by dcbc

4 hours ago, dcbc said:

Apparently, that can happen if you put the meat on before letting the smoke die down in the kamado cookers.

Not just Kamado, that'll happen in any cooker (and any fuel, briquette, lump, or wood). Need to let the volatiles and garbage burn off first.

• Hook 'Em 1

And why are y'all using charcoal, anyway?  Is there some shortage of proper barbecue wood due to the pandemic-related events of the last year or so?  I don't recall Franklin's manifesto ever calling for charcoal, just clean, hot smoke from a hardwood fire.

On a related note, the ice storm has provided me with what is likely a lifetime supply of live oak barbecue wood once I get it all cut up and cured and dried.  So I've got that going for me -- which is nice.

10 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

And why are y'all using charcoal, anyway?  Is there some shortage of proper barbecue wood due to the pandemic-related events of the last year or so?  I don't recall Franklin's manifesto ever calling for charcoal, just clean, hot smoke from a hardwood fire.

On a related note, the ice storm has provided me with what is likely a lifetime supply of live oak barbecue wood once I get it all cut up and cured and dried.  So I've got that going for me -- which is nice.

Smoldering oak splits in a WSM probably wouldn't work well. 

14 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

It’s easier to add hardwood chunks to charcoal. That’s it for me.

I just picked up some Kamado Joe Big Block from Lowe’s while visiting kids. They were down to one taped up bag of Cowboy lump which sounded something like a rain stick when I turned it upside down. I’ll buy some Cowboy and B&B from my local retailers when I’m back home. I may order some El Diablo and Fogo, too, so I can enjoy a summer of experimenting.

I already have Royal Oak as my floor. It’s not terrible once you sort by size. Its certainly a better price/pound. I ordered some for curbside pickup at WalMart last year, and they were out of stock. They offered two bags of Expert Grill (their store brand?) as a substitution, which I foolishly accepted. One bag consisted of small pieces, dust, rocks/concrete, and what appeared to be scrap lumber mixed in with genuine hardwood. The other bag was better, but I should’ve returned both. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

7 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

It’s easier to add hardwood chunks to charcoal. That’s it for me.

OK, just using some charcoal as a fire starter base.  That makes sense. 

I don't like the smell or taste of charcoal unless I'm just grilling a burger or doing a steak sear in a charcoal chimney.  Either way, as Sam Lin said above, all of the nasty stuff needs to burn off before adding any meat.